New riders that can't yet manage a 15mph average?

Comments

• How long have these people been cycling that can't hit a 15mph average???
  • I've been cycling for two and half years now - still can't hit 15mph but, now you ask it makes me think ... maybe if I got off for a rest every six months or so ...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    BruceG wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But thats a world class marathon runner. Here we are talking about keepin pace with a load of blokes who ride there bike on a sunday morning.
    But consider the mechanical advantage a bicycle gives you, and the higher speeds you can attain on any down hill sections without expending any extra energy (sometimes none at all and you can achieve good speed). Lets get some perspective my 12yr old daughter whose only regular cycling activity is a mile each way to school on her super heavyweight shooper bike WITH wicker basket can achieve a 14/15 mph average and she isnt even trying. Now she has no interest in performance cycling, thus she never gets any faster as she sees her bike as a means of transport and nothing else, however peeps coming on this forum asking about average speeds etc, might one reasonably expect then to have some interest in improving? Thus my comments, as I already said no offence intended, however sometimes the internet forum bubble, of lets all be nice and avoid the truth as it may cause offence has to be burst for the greater good!
    I find it hard to believe that a 12 year old girl can average 15mph on a super heavy shopper bike without trying, even over just a mile (i.e. riding that mile in 4 minutes), unless it is going mainly downhill. If really going for it it could be possible for a kid to average 15 mph on a flat road on a big heavy hybrid-type bike, but not without putting in serious effort.

I am usually only able to achieve an average of 12 to 13 mph over a solo hilly 50 mile ride, but I am still putting in a serious effort to do that and trying to improve despite being in my 50s. However while I want to improve I don't want to start getting so obsessed with average speeds that I stop enjoying it.
    Perhaps thats why you will not improve,even though you you want to, the old african river syndrome "denial", I am 51 and my average over a hilly 50 is 17 - 20 the biggest variance factor being the weather, slower in winter. To put this into context for the other guy my TT 10 times are around 26/27, but hoping to improve this year with the purchase of a TT bike. For info my daughters route to school is fairly flat.
    BruceG, I'm not in denial at all. I have been improving my average speed, and trying to improve further as I enjoy the challenge - I just don't want to become too obsessed with average speeds.

If you can do a hilly 50 at 20mph on a solo ride, even in the best of weather, you must be very fit for your age. That level of fitness I would doubt is attainable for most of us that have started in our 40s or 50s.

To put it into perspective, I did a 56 mile hilly sportive last year and out of 212 riders only 19 of them had average speeds of 14mph or above. A lot of guys on the Forum here averaging 12/13 mph over a hilly 50 mile solo ride are generally pushing themselves reasonably hard. It is not comparable to a 12 year old kid riding a mile to school.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've been cycling for two and half years now - still can't hit 15mph but, now you ask it makes me think ... maybe if I got off for a rest every six months or so ...
    I'm around the same. After 10 years of no exercise save walking from the car park I got back on a bike.
  • BruceG wrote:
    my average over a hilly 50 is 17 - 20 . . . my TT 10 times are around 26/27

That's a pretty slow TT 10 for someone that can do 20mph average over 50. I suspect a "typo" somewhere. . . or maybe you live in "hilly" East Anglia :wink:

I'm not quite sure how, on a beginners' section of a bike forum, where someone is wanting basically a bit of encouragement, we end up with such cock-waving comments that have no relevance to the original poster's query.

"Bursting the bubble" of internet politeness, do us a favour, this is a beginners section of a road bike forum, not a triathlon forum, the real home of willy-waving.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    It's like i said earlier, "who/what is Mr Average?". This is The Beginners section where "beginners" hope to get helpful advice from more experienced riders.
    This highlights a problem, you don't what level or what experience anybody has, you don't know if they potter out solo on a sunday for a few miles, do club runs, sportives, time trials and racing, plus you don't what they're aiming for, whether they're happy where they are. So when you ask a question you have to be prepared to get a wide variety of answers.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    starlet_gt wrote:
    How long have these people been cycling that can't hit a 15mph average???

Well given it is in the BEGINNERS section it should not be very long should it.

Personally I have had a bike for only 2 weeks and not having ridden anything for over 10 years it will take some time.

I am not worried about averages etc. just going out and enjoying it and doing some good on the fitness side of things to boot.

My previous post only served to put some perspective on things - I am currently only doing 8 miles and that takes nearly 45 mins so I am not even riding an hour let alone at any average mile per hour.

If you can do more then great.

Enjoy it and the other stuff is all academic.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • suzyb
    smidsy wrote:
    starlet_gt wrote:
    How long have these people been cycling that can't hit a 15mph average???

Well given it is in the BEGINNERS section it should not be very long should it.

Personally I have had a bike for only 2 weeks and not having ridden anything for over 10 years it will take some time.

I am not worried about averages etc. just going out and enjoying it and doing some good on the fitness side of things to boot.

My previous post only served to put some perspective on things - I am currently only doing 8 miles and that takes nearly 45 mins so I am not even riding an hour let alone at any average mile per hour.

If you can do more then great.

Enjoy it and the other stuff is all academic.
    I've been riding 2 years and I'm still doing 8 mile / 40 minute rides :lol:
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    BruceG wrote:

That's a pretty slow TT 10 for someone that can do 20mph average over 50. I suspect a "typo" somewhere. . . or maybe you live in "hilly" East Anglia :wink:

I'm not quite sure how, on a beginners' section of a bike forum, where someone is wanting basically a bit of encouragement, we end up with such cock-waving comments that have no relevance to the original poster's query.

"Bursting the bubble" of internet politeness, do us a favour, this is a beginners section of a road bike forum, not a triathlon forum, the real home of willy-waving.
    No it just shows that I have a better pre diposition for holding a higher speed over longer distances and that short burst of output doesnt suit my physiology. As for your other comments treated with the contempt they deserve, due to the inane nature of there content
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I'm not in any way a beginner but I just think it's great that so amny people are getting into cycling. I'd say avaerage speed was a pretty poor basis for deciding your 'level', just get out there and enjoy it. That way you'll get faster, if that's what you want.
    By obsessing average speed it's easy to end up not warming up or cooling down well enough, missing the odd hill and concentrating too much on the same type of ride. Some of my hardest sessions end up with the lowest average.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    BruceG wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

No it just shows that I have a better pre diposition for holding a higher speed over longer distances and that short burst of output doesnt suit my physiology. As for your other comments treated with the contempt they deserve, due to the inane nature of there content

20MPH over 50...solo @ 51yo...sure you can :) and 17-20MPH are EXTREMELY different speeds. That 3MPH is a huge difference at that range. I suspect you're normally much closer to 17.

Cyclists' average speeds are akin to fisherman's tales of 'the one that got away'
  • This is great.

A beginner asks about 15mph averages, some guy comes on bragging that he can do 20mph over 50 (thats "HILLY", remember) miles, and. . . the truth eventually emerges.

To me, "hilly" means an average of >100ft per mile elevation gain. Anything below 50 is
    "gently undulating" at best and around 40 is "flat".

Your averages from the tracks you posted, feet per mile, are

The super-hilly 42.4 is a 30 miler. My "Hilly East Anglia" quip turns out to be more or less correct!

So, you've very nicely illustrated an important point for the orginal poster's question: if you ride a hilly route (like we have round our way) a 15mph average may be a very tough average indeed, whereas flat routes (like yours) can allow much higher average speeds for the same effort.

As others have commented, though, the important thing is not average speed but enjoying the cycling at whatever pace you wish to push yourself at. I think anyone that rides a bike should be congratulated for getting out of their armchair and doing something, whatever speed they do it at.
  • suzyb wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    starlet_gt wrote:
    I've been riding 2 years and I'm still doing 8 mile / 40 minute rides :lol:

Me too, I did an 8.75 mile ride last night here in hilly Devon in 40 mins flat. Been Ill for a week and just trying to build my fitness. I like the stats but don't lose sleep over them. Enjoying riding but can only get out after dark due to small child bed and bath time etc.
  • BruceG
    This is great.

A beginner asks about 15mph averages, some guy comes on bragging that he can do 20mph over 50 (thats "HILLY", remember) miles, and. . . the truth eventually emerges.

To me, "hilly" means an average of >100ft per mile elevation gain. Anything below 50 is

The super-hilly 42.4 is a 30 miler. My "Hilly East Anglia" quip turns out to be more or less correct!

So, you've very nicely illustrated an important point for the orginal poster's question: if you ride a hilly route (like we have round our way) a 15mph average may be a very tough average indeed, whereas flat routes (like yours) can allow much higher average speeds for the same effort.

As others have commented, though, the important thing is not average speed but enjoying the cycling at whatever pace you wish to push yourself at. I think anyone that rides a bike should be congratulated for getting out of their armchair and doing something, whatever speed they do it at.
    Again valueless input treated with the utter contempt it deserves.
  • suzyb
    If we're posting rides, a couple of mine from last year. Would be interested to hear people's views on my "performance".

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111728086
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118064046
  • BruceG
    suzyb wrote:
    If we're posting rides, a couple of mine from last year. Would be interested to hear people's views on my "performance".

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/111728086
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118064046

Suzy you havn't made them public so we cant view them. What was the club that gave you a hard time when you went along you really should name and shame so that others can avoid. Hopefully you can find another local to you who are far more welcoming
    Regards
  • Come on Bruce, where's your sense of humour?

You can't come on here saying that your young daughter can ride as fast as the OP and to hell if you're offended by that, then say you can ride a hilly 50 at 20mph which turns out to be a flat 50 and not expect a bit of a ribbing, can you?

I'm sure everyone can work out which input has been valueless. As far as entertainment value goes, it's been excellent, thanks.
  • suzyb
    BruceG wrote:
    Suzy you havn't made them public so we cant view them. What was the club that gave you a hard time when you went along you really should name and shame so that others can avoid. Hopefully you can find another local to you who are far more welcoming
    Regards
    :oops: fixed links

They didn't give me a hard time, they were quite friendly in fact, perhaps a little too much as I kept going out despite always struggling on rides. Then one guy had a quiet word after a couple of months of everyone having to wait for me on their weekly ride. I just didn't realise how big a pita it was for them and thought everyone was OK with me tagging along.

That was an MTB club but it's put me off joining any club until I know I'll be able to keep up.
  • Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    I've been back on the bike after the usual 15 year "car" break for about 6 months or so now. I try to get out a couple of times a week, but is (as others have said) after dark once the daughter has gone to bed. I usually hit around 12 miles for each of these, with average speeds around 13mph, having built up from 9-10 miles at 9-10mph! I've once cycled back from work, which is just shy of 19 miles, where I oddly hit an average of over 14mph!! I've yet to do this ride again due to time/organisation problems with getting my bike to work in the mornings, but I will do it again as soon as possible.

Now, unfortunately, i've not been out on the bike for a few weeks as i've had an unknown illness. I'm starting to get over this now, but am finding its just too damn cold to drag myself out after 8pm! I'm hoping for some warmer times very soon so I can get back out and enjoy myself. I've also got the London-Brighton trip to train for, as I stupidly promised to some mates that we'd do it this year!!
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • BruceG
    edited February 2012
    Come on Bruce, where's your sense of humour?

You can't come on here saying that your young daughter can ride as fast as the OP and to hell if you're offended by that, then say you can ride a hilly 50 at 20mph which turns out to be a flat 50 and not expect a bit of a ribbing, can you?

I'm sure everyone can work out which input has been valueless. As far as entertainment value goes, it's been excellent, thanks.
    Read back who said "to hell if your offended" No-one said it was mountainous but you would know about flat rides living in the "Alpine" borders region, make sure you stay on the right side (north in your case) of that Border when we finally get rid and you get independence, now thats ribbing. And I agree everyone can clearly see who is inputting valueless remarks, step forward the man in a checkered pattern skirt, thanks for reinforcing it with more inane and valueless remarks, and now trying to pass them off as humour.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    BruceG wrote:
    This is great.

What are you trying to prove? That you're faster than a beginner? Congrats. You're faster than a beginner and I'm faster than you and lots of people are faster than me...who gives a crap at the end of the day we all ride because we enjoy it.
  • BruceG
    edited February 2012
    suzyb wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    Regards
    :oops: fixed links

They didn't give me a hard time, they were quite friendly in fact, perhaps a little too much as I kept going out despite always struggling on rides. Then one guy had a quiet word after a couple of months of everyone having to wait for me on their weekly ride. I just didn't realise how big a pita it was for them and thought everyone was OK with me tagging along.

That was an MTB club but it's put me off joining any club until I know I'll be able to keep up.
    Sounds as if they were quite civil aboout it all, but I can understand your reluctance to go again. Keep plugging away, you will get to whatever standard you want to reach I am sure.
  • BruceG
    DavidJB wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    This is great.

What are you trying to prove? That you're faster than a beginner? Congrats. You're faster than a beginner and I'm faster than you and lots of people are faster than me...who gives a crap at the end of the day we all ride because we enjoy it.
    I believe the term is WHOOOOOOSH
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    suzyb -any clubs by you with more than one club run so you could start in a slower group?Have to agree they were quite nice about it tho.
    bruce- those are FLAT routes and sorry but you cant just claim everyone with a different opinion has valueless input :?

Having said that there really is only one way to get faster and bruce is right about that.Providing of course that whoever actually wants to get faster. If not ,cool, just go and ride.
    Now can we all play nice again?
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • jim55
    jim55 Posts: 93
    right ,,iv been riding about a yr and a half now but tbh i dont cycle enough as i feel im in that group thats too slow for clubs and stuff
    i use an app called strava to monitor my rides ,heres one from a very rare nice day recently
    f4947a5a.jpg
    as you can see i wasnt hanging about ,but look at the average !!!
    i think if it wasnt in town commuting i could increase the average a bit ,but holding 15 ave seems a way off for me :roll:
  • BruceG wrote:

Read back who said "to hell if your offended" No-one said it was mountainous but you would know about flat rides living in the "Alpine" borders region, make sure you stay on the right side (north in your case) of that Border when we finally get rid and you get independence, now thats ribbing. And I agree everyone can clearly see who is inputting valueless remarks, step forward the man in a checkered pattern skirt, thanks for reinforcing it with more inane and valueless remarks, and now trying to pass them off as humour.

I've sat back enough! Come on BruceG, you are being ridiculous.
    You came on here and decided to make a point to the OP with your disparaging comments, and in particular with that ridiculously condescending analogy about your 12 year old daughter and her Raleigh Shopper (with a basket if I remember correctly!) being able to do what they can't. Now you're posting your own Garmin stats and compounding the situation and the impression we are getting of your attitude.
    The way you have responded to Boardersroadie's defence of the OP and the purpose of the Beginners Forum has been ridiculous, and it looks like there are others that agree who are looking in on this thread with interest.
    Now you are (trying) to attack another contributor personally and the phrase "grow up" springs to mind.

To the OP - FWIW I agree with the general consensus here that you certainly shouldn't become obsessed with averages, but use them as tool to gauge your progress on a monthly or periodic basis.
    I've only really been cycling a couple of years along with running, and I too have similar aims as yourself. Together we'll all progress hopefully! :D
    Cheers
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • I too use strava via Iphone app, but not convinced that it's 100% accurate :roll:
    These are the stats from my commute home tonight;
    Time 00:44:20
    Elapsed Time 00:44:46
    Max Speed 23.1 mph
    Avg Speed 16.1 mph
    Cadence N/A
    Device Strava iPhone App

Now I can believe this, as it was a good run with light winds and I was working well 8)

And here's the stats from Mondays ride home;
    Time 00:48:37
    Elapsed Time 00:49:19
    Max Speed 37.4 mph
    Avg Speed 15.1 mph
    Cadence N/A
    Device Strava iPhone App

Checkout the max speed :shock: This done on a disc brake heavy hybrid with a rack and 5kg bag, on a flat road, and I'm a 16 stone ex smoker....I don't think so.....hence I'm a bit wary of the accuracy of strava. Nice site and a great app for keeping track of mileage though 8)
  • BruceG
    BruceG wrote:

I've sat back enough! Come on BruceG, you are being ridiculous.
    You came on here and decided to make a point to the OP with your disparaging comments, and in particular with that ridiculously condescending analogy about your 12 year old daughter and her Raleigh Shopper (with a basket if I remember correctly!) being able to do what they can't. Now you're posting your own Garmin stats and compounding the situation and the impression we are getting of your attitude.
    The way you have responded to Boardersroadie's defence of the OP and the purpose of the Beginners Forum has been ridiculous, and it looks like there are others that agree who are looking in on this thread with interest.
    Now you are (trying) to attack another contributor personally and the phrase "grow up" springs to mind.

To the OP - FWIW I agree with the general consensus here that you certainly shouldn't become obsessed with averages, but use them as tool to gauge your progress on a monthly or periodic basis.
    I've only really been cycling a couple of years along with running, and I too have similar aims as yourself. Together we'll all progress hopefully! :D
    Cheers
    After that ridiculous and pointless tirade, you would have been better to have stayed sat back. Such a narrow and selective viewpoint
  • BruceG
    DavidJB wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    This is great.

42.4n

I have only been riding just over two years does that not make me a newbie too? Please do advise when one transforms into such an experienced head like yourself