New riders that can't yet manage a 15mph average?

puddle-rider
puddle-rider Posts: 295
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

As a new road rider are there others out there who can not yet manage to maintain the 15mph average required of so many Velo Clubs?

I would like to ride out with others but all my local Velo Clubs seem to maintain a 15mph average or even faster, are there any riders in a similair position who live in the Rutland area who would like to join up for some less intense rides?

Comments

• Do you mean, you can't manage a 15mph average on your own? Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but maintaining a certain speed on your own and in a chain gang are two v different things. With the latter, the shielding you get from wind resistance makes a considerable difference.
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Why not try a CTC based club? The emphasis there is on touring so you will find that most have a group for the older gents/ladies, those recovering from illness or those who simply aren't interested in things like average speed, energy gels, bike computers and the like. They ride for pure enjoyment and good on 'em. For instance, my club has an A group (~18mph), B (~15mph), B- (13-15mph) and C (average speed? who cares!).

When you have got used to cycling in a group, can handle a bit more speed and fancy a go in the next group, most clubs will let you chop and a change as you want depending on how you feel (for instance, I sometimes do the B group as a recovery ride, etc.).

Are any of these close??
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    15mph average over what distance? And with how much climbing?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Since when have they been called velo clubs? :?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    inseine wrote:

He's in Rutland - its posh around there and so they're velo clubs rather than cycling clubs!! :lol:

(I lived in Oakham for 3 years)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    inseine wrote:

He's in Rutland - its posh around there and so they're velo clubs rather than cycling clubs!! :lol:

(I lived in Oakham for 3 years)

That can not be it check out the Long Eaton cycling club- they are Long Eaton VC and that is no way posh :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I can't manage manage 15mph, over any distance with any amount of climbing.
  • wheezee wrote:
    15mph average over what distance? And with how much climbing?

Exactly the questions I asked when I read the OP post.

I do 17-18mph on my 12 mile commute but I'm equally happy with 15mph average on my local 40 mile hilly training route (100+ feet ascent per mile average).
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    If you are a new rider Puddle...it's no surprise 15mph average seems a lot right now.
    Age, general fitness, terrain all come into the equation.
    I'm 53, been solo riding for 10 years or so. 15mph average is not slouching around (whatever anyone says). There's a good few faster, but IME, i rarely get overtaken on my rides at say 15 to 16mph average.
    I went for it maybe 7 years ago and really worked to 'up' my average...a tremendous amount of work saw me up to 18mph average over 40 miles say..remembering thats solo riding. TBH, it spoiled it for me eventually, i just got fed up of push push pushing myself all the time.
    Time on the bike, push yourself to some degree or other, you will see the averages increase.
  • I made a big leap last year from being stuck on 12 to just managing 14 mph. 15 is still a far off dream.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    You just need to do some more focused training and you'll be averaging 15mph+ in no time. when riding on your own its often not enough to just ride, as you won't push hard enough. Obviously if you find a training partner then this is less of an issue.

this can be done in your general riding:

-push up all the hills -> increases strength, power, lactate threshold and you will become better at transitioning from high intensity to lower intensity.

-work in extended periods where you try and aim for a decent average speed. I like to do it in the latter stages of my rides, on flat road.

this works better if done off the bike:

-core strength training -> strong core is an essential base for faster riding... had an abdominal operation in November and this affected core strength and the change is noticeable! eg. Studies have shown that focused hip flexor strength work increases efficiency and reduces the dead spot in the pedal stroke.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Me either, I'm usually around 14 overall, but I like hilly rides (riding on the flat is dull, dull, dull...)

I'm trying to increase speed by doing short bursts of flat out, really going for it

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Do you mean, you can't manage a 15mph average on your own? Don't want to teach you to suck eggs, but maintaining a certain speed on your own and in a chain gang are two v different things. With the latter, the shielding you get from wind resistance makes a considerable difference.

+1

I was really concerned that I would struggle to keep up with nearest club, both on average speed and distances covered :|

So I did a few rides to build up the mileage and get used to that, but didn't worry too much about average speeds. Did a 40 miler and felt ok afterwards, so bit the bullet and went along to the next ride out. Glad I did. Had a great time, and in a group you can tuck in behind and get pulled along. That's what I did. Couldn't believe I'd done 63 miles when I got home. That felt no different to the 40 miler on my own :!:

Don't get hung up on average speeds...build up your mileage and when your happy go along for a club ride. You can always drop off the back and turn around if you find it too much, but I would think a good club would help and guide you along too. I had plenty of help and encouragement :wink:
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    You just need to do some more focused training and you'll be averaging 15mph+ in no time. when riding on your own its often not enough to just ride, as you won't push hard enough. Obviously if you find a training partner then this is less of an issue.

this can be done in your general riding:

-push up all the hills -> increases strength, power, lactate threshold and you will become better at transitioning from high intensity to lower intensity.
    -work in extended periods where you try and aim for a decent average speed. I like to do it in the latter stages of my rides, on flat road.

this works better if done off the bike:

-core strength training -> strong core is an essential base for faster riding... had an abdominal operation in November and this affected core strength and the change is noticeable! eg. Studies have shown that focused hip flexor strength work increases efficiency and reduces the dead spot in the pedal stroke.

Hills (depending on the type) is where i reckoned i gained most. Mine are rolling, neither too steep nor long, but i found if i really honked up them, then rode steadily (but not slowly) once topped to recover...it helps to reduce the time spent at a lower speed. Its hard work, but it does work.

Also, when i was trying to achieve or maintain a certain average i'd do this...
    I always set out against the wind. If my average was 15.5mph (over say 40miles) , i'd try to maintain 15mph against the wind (or as near as i could), knowing then the tailwind section would see me well above 15 mph...all upping your average at the end. Thats the focus you need...a target. Your bike computer is that focus/target.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    just go on the club run. What is the worst that can happen ? - you can't keep up - and have to cycle alone ? - it really isn't a big deal.
    But if you do manage to stay with them - you will open a whole new cycling for yourself. The guys in the club will probably know some great country lanes, cafes etc. and cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.
    personally if you can clock over 12mph on a solo run - you will be thereabouts on a club run - you are faster in a group - as you are sheltered from the wind, and there is an extra motivation to stay with the pack.
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    +1 What I was trying to say :wink:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You're a new rider and are asking to much of yourself. I expect you would be able to keep up with these riders on the flat so work the hills a bit harder. If you want to keep the quality up keep the mileage down. Find a hill that you can use for a marker to see what speed you can maintain on it once a week. I have a hill that I don't use much and the first time I went up it on a 40lb bike at 8mph. I now go up it at 12mph. Its 15mph on a road bike. Maybe you need to develop your hill climbing technique.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    . and cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.

Everyone is allowed an opinion and it might just be a misinterpretation of the phrase, but as a new cyclist that sounds like a rather pompous outlook.

I assume me, on my newly bought bike in my beg borrowed and what I can afford gear after getting the bike am a second rate or 'phoney' cyclist?

Personally, you cycle, you are real. You sit on your arse watching TV instead, then no, not a cyclist.

Each to their own I guess.
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    I made a big leap last year from being stuck on 12 to just managing 14 mph. 15 is still a far off dream.
    Really?? tell us a little about yourself, age, build, type of bike,weekly mileage etc I am in essex we could meet up and ride together to get your speed up,because it sounds as if you need some assistance
  • hodge68
    hodge68 Posts: 162
    same here12-13mph, how did you make the change or was it just time on the bike that improved you.
    Ridley Boreas
    Spesh RockHopper pro
    Boardman cx comp
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You will get better over time but once you get to a certain level of bike fitness then you need to think about what your next target actually is. If you train to do a 50 miler but at a comfortable speed then repeated training of that will just make you very good at doing a 50 at a comfortable speed. Hence, once you can manage a 50 without fretting too much...start having a look at that speed.

You could look at trying to do a 25 but in 100 minutes (target the first 10 in 40 mins, 2nd 10 in 40 mins and then the last 5 miles anyhow you can). Do that once or twice a week, try to keep the cadence high, pedalling smooth and get used to the overall speed and maintaining it...then start building up the mileage again but at that speed until you get to do a 50 at 15mph. The above times/miles could be tweaked depending on what average you want to achieve. The next cycling target is a 50 in 3, so again you could break that down into chunks and work your way up. I find it best to plan your efforts so that the last section of a cycle comes with something left in the tank as I get a good psychological boost if I finish strongly rather than weakly struggling over the line. Makes me want to go out and do the ride again rather than dreading the next bout of suffering.

My best ever time for an undulating 50 (1 big hill, lots of minor lumps) was when I set out on a ride and then halfway round realised I had promised my daughter a lift to her horse riding...which was pretty soon. Hence, I had no choice but to up the tempo and make it. It was a case of cycling face, quick gulps of water, high cadence in the highest gear I could make and every time the cadence started slowing due to fatigue I simply got up and stamped until the speed was high enough for me to sit down again. Well, the 50 came and went and I glanced at the computer to see a time I would normally have been pleased with, except I didn't have the luxury to feel smug...so, head down I carried on until I got home having done 65 in a great time (for me). I stumbled through the front door and proudly announced my arrival only for my wife to say "oh, madam has decided to have a lie in so you might as well go back out for a couple of hours". Moral of the story, get the wife to drive...oh hang on, I don't think that's it.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    . and cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.

And I'm sure one day you'll be a real boy too. Possibly when you grow up.
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    My best ever time for an undulating 50 (1 big hill, lots of minor lumps) was when I set out on a ride and then halfway round realised I had promised my daughter a lift to her horse riding...which was pretty soon. Hence, I had no choice but to up the tempo and make it. It was a case of cycling face, quick gulps of water, high cadence in the highest gear I could make and every time the cadence started slowing due to fatigue I simply got up and stamped until the speed was high enough for me to sit down again. Well, the 50 came and went and I glanced at the computer to see a time I would normally have been pleased with, except I didn't have the luxury to feel smug...so, head down I carried on until I got home having done 65 in a great time (for me). I stumbled through the front door and proudly announced my arrival only for my wife to say "oh, madam has decided to have a lie in so you might as well go back out for a couple of hours". Moral of the story, get the wife to drive...oh hang on, I don't think that's it.
    This made me smile thanks for that
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:

Everyone is allowed an opinion and it might just be a misinterpretation of the phrase, but as a new cyclist that sounds like a rather pompous outlook.

I assume me, on my newly bought bike in my beg borrowed and what I can afford gear after getting the bike am a second rate or 'phoney' cyclist?

Personally, you cycle, you are real. You sit on your ars* watching TV instead, then no, not a cyclist.

Each to their own I guess.

Not at all. All I meant was that cycling with a club or in a group is something (IMO) that no cyclist should miss out on. It just so much more enjoyable.
  • Agree re comment to just turn up to a club run. Preferably one of the easier groups. Don't be shy, or feel daft - we all have to start somewhere and you'll be fine if you're dropped as long as you know your way home. If you are dropped, try and stay with them a bit longer next time...and so on. Maybe let the group lead (if there is one) know that you're unsure and ask to sit at the back in a chain gang rather than take turns at the front. There is no shame in that. Give it a few months and I'm sure you'll be doing your bit at the front like the best of them!
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • I reckon if I had a full heart, lung and leg transplant and took steroids I could maybe make 15ph average! At present though my target is to do 50 miles on my 50th birthday Dec 2012 (at present I can do 35 so I am confident).

Apprecaite the comments about clubs but for me one of the great things about my cycling is the solitude and the quite (I have a v stressfull job and two wild kids so these periods of solitude and peace are treasured). mm .... writing that I'm not sure I want to get faster if it means I get home sooner!

loving my riding even though I am still a fat old man with shameful stats!
  • This whole subject is academic as it depends on the terrain, the weather conditions, the road surfaces, the time of year, the type of bike (ie winter bike with lots of kit or stripped down summer bike) etc etc.

I'm 48, training for the Fred Whitton. I just got in the house after a 50 mile training run. 2 degrees C, a fair breeze at altitude, a hilly route (100 ft ascent per mile average), slippery road conditions (a bit of ice and lots of mud film from farm traffic) and downhills that mostly don't allow a massive build-up of speed since they're either muddy, gravelly with lots of tight bends or end in a village on a blind 90 degree bend, or a combination of all these things! I was riding my winter bike with a litre of water and a saddlebag with spares, tools and food.

So I'm back home after a hard ride, my average speed was less than 15mph and I'm jolly happy with my performance.
  • Hi Puddle Rider.
    You are more than welcome to come and join us on club runs at Velo Club Rutland. (We are called "Velo Club Rutland" as inexplicably there is already a "Rutland Cycling Club" up north in Yorkshire I think!)

If you google Velo Club Rutland you will find our website and you will see that there is a weekly club run on Saturday mornings that is specifically a ride for all abilities and designed for younger riders, older riders (like me) and riders coming back from injury. It is a nice social ride of up to 20 miles and at a speed considerably below 15mph, finishing off with a cafe stop at the end. When you feel ready you can progress to the Sunday club rides which are about 50 miles.

I've been on the Sunday rides and due to illness I often don't average 15mph but still manage as no one ever gets left behind.

I'm just coming back from treatment so I am currently building back up from 10 mile runs and I'll be back on the Saturday rides in a few weeks. It's a very friendly club and we'd be delighted to have you join us. Please don't worry about not being able to average 15mph (I'm nowhere near that speed yet!) - it's just not a necessary qualification for you to come out and join us!
    It was always the rule that a club run went at the pace of the slowest rider.

Has this been totally abandoned now?
  • Hi,

As a new road rider are there others out there who can not yet manage to maintain the 15mph average required of so many Velo Clubs?

I would like to ride out with others but all my local Velo Clubs seem to maintain a 15mph average or even faster, are there any riders in a similair position who live in the Rutland area who would like to join up for some less intense rides?

difficult to answer without knowing more, how old are you, what bike as might be the case some improvements can be made to your ride and equipment, how much cycling have you done beforehand, could be you just need to do a bit more, does the Velo have a section that will suit your needs for now, ask them.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young