New riders that can't yet manage a 15mph average?

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    kingrollo wrote:
    . and cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.

Everyone is allowed an opinion and it might just be a misinterpretation of the phrase, but as a new cyclist that sounds like a rather pompous outlook.

I assume me, on my newly bought bike in my beg borrowed and what I can afford gear after getting the bike am a second rate or 'phoney' cyclist?

Personally, you cycle, you are real. You sit on your ars* watching TV instead, then no, not a cyclist.

Each to their own I guess.

You did misinterpret the phrase. And you're also being a bit chippy.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    kingrollo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    . and cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.

Everyone is allowed an opinion and it might just be a misinterpretation of the phrase, but as a new cyclist that sounds like a rather pompous outlook.

I assume me, on my newly bought bike in my beg borrowed and what I can afford gear after getting the bike am a second rate or 'phoney' cyclist?

Personally, you cycle, you are real. You sit on your ars* watching TV instead, then no, not a cyclist.

Not at all. All I meant was that cycling with a club or in a group is something (IMO) that no cyclist should miss out on. It just so much more enjoyable.
    Surely that depends on the person. Going out with a club and finding you can't keep up can be far from enjoyable.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    kingrollo wrote:
    Not at all. All I meant was that cycling with a club or in a group is something (IMO) that no cyclist should miss out on. It just so much more enjoyable.

And IMO, dressing up in matching gear and following each other is a little odd

But that's just my opinion, you know ;)

I'm clearly not a proper cyclist...shame about all those bikes, tools, clothes and stuff like that I've bought since I've been a non-cyclist, clearly I'd got it wrong all along

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

And IMO, dressing up in matching gear and following each other is a little odd

But that's just my opinion, you know ;)

I'm clearly not a proper cyclist...shame about all those bikes, tools, clothes and stuff like that I've bought since I've been a non-cyclist, clearly I'd got it wrong all along

Just as odd as mamils dressing up in pro team gear and following each other on sportives.......
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • kingrollo wrote:
    cycling in a group , with your club kit on - IMO makes you a real cyclist.

I must say it's quite a shock after 35 years of cycling to discover that I am, in fact, not a real cyclist.

I may have to go on a non-qualifying bike ride to have a think about it. . . :wink:
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    12.9mph for 38 miles is my best.
    15mph average is a dream...
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Teece wrote:
    12.9mph for 38 miles is my best.
    15mph average is a dream...

Keep at it Teece, you can improve with the right training. Have a look at my comments and give it a go. Also, finding a good riding buddy makes the world of difference (if you don't fancy a club that is).

If you need a little boost then pick a flat route and see how you get on (I can easily add 4-5 mph onto my average if I exclude the cotswolds).
  • My best average over 20 miles is just over 17 MPH, and 15.85MPH over 25 miles. I'm still at the stage where just riding 50 miles is an achievement regardless of speed. I'm doing the Worcestershire Sunrise ride over 80 miles in a few weeks and speed will be the last thing on my mind.

I like testing mysef so will follow Bobbinogs pointers and see how I get on.
  • it's interesting that there is such concern over speed, I take lots of new members enquires for my club and nearly all ask and usually one of first things they bring up is speed ? It's not that big of a concern, sat in a group will see you go much faster and much much further, probably twice your normal distance. Speed is affected by wind and nothing can be done about that. Get out on your bike and cycle and enjoy it.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The more i concentrate on speed the less i enjoy the ride but i do tend to like the result more.
    Some rides i'll push it, others i won't, if you take the enjoyment out of the ride it becomes a chore but you need to push yourself beyond your limit to improve and if you don't have the drive others will help.
    I'm not in a club and don't want to be but i'm sure that any good club will accommodate any level of rider and help them progress to whatever level they wanted.
  • it's interesting that there is such concern over speed, I take lots of new members enquires for my club and nearly all ask and usually one of first things they bring up is speed ? It's not that big of a concern, sat in a group will see you go much faster and much much further, probably twice your normal distance. Speed is affected by wind and nothing can be done about that. Get out on your bike and cycle and enjoy it.

I think this is down to nervousness on the newbies part and how the groups are presented on clubs websites. I haven't been a club run yet as I want to make sure I don't make a tit of myself when I do go. Irrational but understandable. I think people are hung up on speed because the average speed is listed against the rides so see that as a benchmark.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    New riders dont want to be seen to be useless, and also dont want to make others have to keep waiting for them.
    All I,d say to anyone worried about joining a club/clubrun- stop messing about and get your butt down there. IME clubs are full of genuine nice people who are more than happy to help and give advice to any newbs. No one will laugh at you and what really is the worst thing that could happen?? you have to come back in a couple of months when youre a bit fitter?? its not going to make you die of shame is it?
    In the words of that modern day philosopher "shoulda woulda coulda are the last words of a fool..." :lol:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • we don't list any speeds, any club that does is stuck in the dark ages. Best thing to do is contact the club and find out what rides they have and which ones would be suitable, don't go the main club ride as likely to be just the usual pretend road race, find the rides that suit first, even go out with the older section if need or if they have a steady shorter ride go on that, if they don't provide them, tell them they should and go elsewhere.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    My club doesnt list any speeds either, when someone new turns up, one of the ride leaders will have a chat with them to ascertain there level, and then steer them in the direction of the appropiate group.
    Just another thought and this isnt meant to cause offence, you guys that are quoting speeds of 12 / 13 mph are barely going faster than a marathon runner, and you have a massive mechanical advantage over them, it is very easy to settle into a "comfort zone", and not push yourself any more, think about this when you are riding. If you are happy at your speed,which i doubt you are otherwise you would not have asked then carry on, if not put more in to get more out, and joining a club will help much more than any forum responses ever could.
  • suzyb
    Marathon runners have an advantage compared to me though, they aren't fat :wink:

Didn't think they ran that fast though.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    BruceG wrote:

But thats a world class marathon runner. Here we are talking about keepin pace with a load of blokes who ride there bike on a sunday morning.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    250px-Benz-velo.jpg

This could also travel at 12mph (OK, top speed not average speed). And probably further than 26 miles. Just how feeble are we? :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benz_Velo
  • BruceG
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But thats a world class marathon runner. Here we are talking about keepin pace with a load of blokes who ride there bike on a sunday morning.
    But consider the mechanical advantage a bicycle gives you, and the higher speeds you can attain on any down hill sections without expending any extra energy (sometimes none at all and you can achieve good speed). Lets get some perspective my 12yr old daughter whose only regular cycling activity is a mile each way to school on her super heavyweight shooper bike WITH wicker basket can achieve a 14/15 mph average and she isnt even trying. Now she has no interest in performance cycling, thus she never gets any faster as she sees her bike as a means of transport and nothing else, however peeps coming on this forum asking about average speeds etc, might one reasonably expect then to have some interest in improving? Thus my comments, as I already said no offence intended, however sometimes the internet forum bubble, of lets all be nice and avoid the truth as it may cause offence has to be burst for the greater good!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But consider the mechanical advantage a bicycle gives you, and the higher speeds you can attain on any down hill sections without expending any extra energy (sometimes none at all and you can achieve good speed). Lets get some perspective my 12yr old daughter whose only regular cycling activity is a mile each way to school on her super heavyweight shooper bike WITH wicker basket can achieve a 14/15 mph average and she isnt even trying. Now she has no interest in performance cycling, thus she never gets any faster as she sees her bike as a means of transport and nothing else, however peeps coming on this forum asking about average speeds etc, might one reasonably expect then to have some interest in improving? Thus my comments, as I already said no offence intended, however sometimes the internet forum bubble, of lets all be nice and avoid the truth as it may cause offence has to be burst for the greater good!
    I find it hard to believe that a 12 year old girl can average 15mph on a super heavy shopper bike without trying, even over just a mile (i.e. riding that mile in 4 minutes), unless it is going mainly downhill. If really going for it it could be possible for a kid to average 15 mph on a flat road on a big heavy hybrid-type bike, but not without putting in serious effort.

I am usually only able to achieve an average of 12 to 13 mph over a solo hilly 50 mile ride, but I am still putting in a serious effort to do that and trying to improve despite being in my 50s. However while I want to improve I don't want to start getting so obsessed with average speeds that I stop enjoying it.
  • suzyb
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But riding a bicycle also has it's disadvantages. When running up hill it is only your body weight you have to get up that hill. On a bike it is your body weight plus the weight of the bicycle :wink:

I have managed to increase my average over shorter routes but over longer ones I'm still as slow. I know I could probably push myself harder on longer rides but am reluctant to do so as I don't want to end up struggling later in the ride.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But consider the mechanical advantage a bicycle gives you, and the higher speeds you can attain on any down hill sections without expending any extra energy (sometimes none at all and you can achieve good speed). Lets get some perspective my 12yr old daughter whose only regular cycling activity is a mile each way to school on her super heavyweight shooper bike WITH wicker basket can achieve a 14/15 mph average and she isnt even trying. Now she has no interest in performance cycling, thus she never gets any faster as she sees her bike as a means of transport and nothing else, however peeps coming on this forum asking about average speeds etc, might one reasonably expect then to have some interest in improving? Thus my comments, as I already said no offence intended, however soometimes the internet forum bubble, of lets all be nice and avoid the truth as it may cause offence has to be burst for the greater good!
    But this is road beginners so what bubble needs bursting? If guys are riding round at 12 / 13 mph, what does it matter. I often have hilly rides that only average 14 mph. To put some context behind that, I expect to go sub 24 min for a 10 mile TT this year. Nothing amazing I know but speed varies based on so many criteria.
  • BruceG
    edited February 2012
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

I find it hard to believe that a 12 year old girl can average 15mph on a super heavy shopper bike without trying, even over just a mile (i.e. riding that mile in 4 minutes), unless it is going mainly downhill. If really going for it it could be possible for a kid to average 15 mph on a flat road on a big heavy hybrid-type bike, but not without putting in serious effort.

I am usually only able to achieve an average of 12 to 13 mph over a solo hilly 50 mile ride, but I am still putting in a serious effort to do that and trying to improve despite being in my 50s. However while I want to improve I don't want to start getting so obsessed with average speeds that I stop enjoying it.
    Perhaps thats why you will not improve,even though you you want to, the old african river syndrome "denial", I am 51 and my average over a hilly 50 is 17 - 20 the biggest variance factor being the weather, slower in winter. To put this into context for the other guy my TT 10 times are around 26/27, but hoping to improve this year with the purchase of a TT bike. For info my daughters route to school is fairly flat.
  • BruceG
    edited February 2012
    suzyb wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

But riding a bicycle also has it's disadvantages. When running up hill it is only your body weight you have to get up that hill. On a bike it is your body weight plus the weight of the bicycle :wink:

I have managed to increase my average over shorter routes but over longer ones I'm still as slow. I know I could probably push myself harder on longer rides but am reluctant to do so as I don't want to end up struggling later in the ride.
    Keep trying Suzy you will get there, think about pushing yourself harder over shorter distances, or plan routes with a bail out short cut home, as you find the effort to hold higher averages eases, start to incrementally increase the distance. I must say you seem to have a more positive attitude to improving than some, good luck with your efforts. And dont be put off joining a club you will this improves your riding and enjoyment of the sport, and if the first club you look at doesnt accomodate your current ability move on there are plenty that will. Good Luck!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    All very interesting but some of us are just trying to be able to ride for an hour let alone at any given average speed. :oops:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    I just go out for a run on the bike and do not care about average speed, it is about enjoyment.
    When I get back, I have a look at the bike computer and it gives me the relative data.
    It is good to see what miles you have done.
    Average speed is on there as well , always in the sixteens unless wet slippy roads, just a bit of data, does not mean much.
    Miles are the important bit to me, average speed is just there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just riide.

I had a computer/speedo, but when they battery ran out I never replaced it. Now have a new bike, gizmo free.

It's lovely.

In fairness, I get a fair idea of how fast or not I'm going, since I'm on a single-speed.

There are enough rides around London I can race myself against - road riding is ultimately a relative sport.

Who cares how fast/slow! Just ride and enjoy it!
  • suzyb
    BruceG wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    BruceG wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    BruceG wrote:

Keep trying Suzy you will get there, think about pushing yourself harder over shorter distances, or plan routes with a bail out short cut home, as you find the effort to hold higher averages eases, start to incrementally increase the distance. I must say you seem to have a more positive attitude to improving than some, good luck with your efforts. And dont be put off joining a club you will this improves your riding and enjoyment of the sport, and if the first club you look at doesnt accomodate your current ability move on there are plenty that will. Good Luck!
    I've already been put off by a bad experience elsewhere. As I said in a previous post finding out you cant keep up can be far from enjoyable (for yourself and for those who have to wait for you) :(
  • After today's news ...

May I be the first to say that even if I went round to Alberto's for steak night every week I doubt I would ever make 15mph average but I still love my cycling!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    After today's news ...

May I be the first to say that even if I went round to Alberto's for steak night every week I doubt I would ever make 15mph average but I still love my cycling!

Hes gone veggie !