Taken the Volagi Plunge

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Very, very nice. Not envious at all. No siree......
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Nice, very very nice. And 100% worthy of an Alfa nut.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Really beautiful bike, if it rides like it looks I really might not be able to remain in control of my wallet!

VAT or Duty?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Superb looking. Has it mounts for a rack? Looks a good tourer, nice and comfy for a long day in the saddle.
    Are you doing the Etape?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Superb looking. Has it mounts for a rack? Looks a good tourer, nice and comfy for a long day in the saddle.
    Are you doing the Etape?

Thx. No, it has mudguard mounts (tucked away on the inside of the forks/stays). It can also take conventional brakes (has mounting points and even the cable clips). It's designed to be a GT rather than a sportscar - fast but comfortable.

Yes - sorry, meant to respond - doing the Etape Calendonia (rather than THE Etape (du tour)). Discussing with my bro doing some cycling in BC & the Rockies at some point too.
    VAT or Duty?

Paid nothing so far. we'll see. The original quote was meant to include duties but seemed too cheap. Won't be surprised if I get a bill from FedEx. When I got my AyUps from Aus through DHL, they sent a bill afterwards (though it was only about £15) - I actually forgot about it - no reminder, just a bill (& surcharge) from a dept-collection agency. Cheers, DHL!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wallace1492
    I did mean the Etape Caledonia. I am in it too, might see you there!
  • meanredspider
    I did mean the Etape Caledonia. I am in it too, might see you there!

I'll be the one on the Volagi :wink:

Actually, can't remember what start group I ended up in
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Wallace1492
    Neither can I..... think I stuck down anticipated time of 4.30, so probably be 7.10am ish.
    Rather a lot of training between now and then to get near that time though......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Very, very, very nice!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. I feel incredibly lucky to have this bike - can't wait to ride it. One step closer this evening when the Ultegra Di2 turned up - didn't think I'd be getting Di2 so soon after its launch. Looks really nice too. I'll be up at the crack of dawn putting it all together in the living room (joys of a clean brand new bike).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Excellent. I'm in no fit state to be assembling anything at the moment. I've just had a night out with a few mates that has made me realise how lucky I am.
    MRS you've really been through the wringer and you deserve a bit of luck. I really hope you enjoy it. Good luck to you. Whilst I may be a bit green with envy about the bike you've been through stuff I hope no one else has to go through. You have my great respect and I hope to meet you I the flesh so I can shake your hand and buy you a drink.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    MRS you've really been through the wringer and you deserve a bit of luck. I really hope you enjoy it. Good luck to you. Whilst I may be a bit green with envy about the bike you've been through stuff I hope no one else has to go through. You have my great respect and I hope to meet you I the flesh so I can shake your hand and buy you a drink.

Thanks V68 - equally I've really appreciated the support you and others on here have given me. I wouldn't wish what we've been through on anybody but we've come out of it much much stronger. The bike will be earning its keep raising money for various cancer charities. If it eases my ride whilst we're at it, so much the better.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Don't forget to take (& post) plenty of pics of the build- really keen to see a "real" one, rather than the press shots.
  • DrLex wrote:
    Don't forget to take (& post) plenty of pics of the build- really keen to see a "real" one, rather than the press shots.

Will do. It looks every bit as good in the flesh as it does in the press pics

Hoping to take it down to Dores at the eastern-most end of Loch Ness on Sunday to get a few pics down there too
  • Fitted the Pro-Lite Ravenna bars and installed the Di2. Still need to wrap the bars, clip the cables, fit the chain, fit mudguard(s) and adjust everything. Looking very nice though.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Pictures - or it hasn't happened!!! ;)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • FoldingJoe wrote:
    Pictures - or it hasn't happened!!! ;)

Patience! :wink:

I want to tidy it up a bit before I take pics. Still trying to work out the best cable runs for the Di2 - especially around the BB. I will talk to Volagi at some point to see if I'm OK to run it internally. It will mean drilling some holes in the frame though, thinking about it, it might mostly mean just removing the cable adjustor brackets and using the rivet holes.

I really like the Di2 and I haven't even fitted the chain yet. Actually, this bike is the first bike that has got my 12 & 14 year old sons interested. The Pro-Lite bars weigh nothing (OK - 190-ish grammes) & I also need to decide if I'm going to shorten them slightly though I don't think I will. It'll be the first bike I've had with the correct fit bars (at 44cm)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Patience! :wink:
    :? Now you're just making up words to confuse us.

Pictures!!!
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Congrats on the new bike!

Di2 Saw a Specialized please tell me you are not going to a big black box mounted on the downtube??

Err - yes - but it will blend in (a bit) with the carbon bottle holder.

No - they're only just developing the carbon wheelset now. The wheels are pretty light already but carbon wheels might be on my Xmas list.

There's a firm in the states who do aftermarket batteries for Di2 that fit in the seat post. Forgotten their name though.

I'm going to have EPS Record fitted to my new bike, the battery is a bit of an eyesore. I note that De Rosa's new frame has it mounted on the underside:

De%20Rosa%20Protos%20-%20chainset%20and%20BB.jpg

I'm sure that 2013 bikes will see internal batteries, but I'm not gonna wait another year.

Wheelwise - have you seen the new Mad Fiber clinchers. Look v interesting, and firm is run by some really experienced folk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9pjSP97PNc
  • OK OK I'll take some tonight in mid-build.

I got some support from a most unlikely source. Mrs MRS has been grumbling a bit about my new bike and why hasn't she got anything new. Then I got a text from her this morning. Her friends had been round and were "impressed with your bike and mounted robust defence of the need for it. I have been told." Well done, ladies & thank you! 8)
  • OK OK I'll take some tonight in mid-build.

I got some support from a most unlikely source. Mrs MRS has been grumbling a bit about my new bike and why hasn't she got anything new. Then I got a text from her this morning. Her friends had been round and were "impressed with your bike and mounted robust defence of the need for it. I have been told." Well done, ladies & thank you! 8)

Mrs Elephant said I was only allowed a mountain bike if she got some new shoes. Deal!
  • I have been a bit provocative by doing the build sat on the sofa in the living room - I really couldn't expect anything less!

On a more serious note, Mrs MRS has been through the ringer with my son's cancer too so I have told her that I won't bat an eyelid if she wants to treat herself too.
  • veronese68
    I wish my wife had friends like that. She has friends that tell her she needs handbags the cost £300. Thankfully she has more sense than that.
    I did have to buy her a pair of boots when I bought my mountain bike. Seemed fair, even if they were about the same price. I must confess it was more like theft than purchase of the bike.
    I'm sure your Mrs is in need of a treat as well. How is the boy these days?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Mrs Elephant said I was only allowed a mountain bike if she got some new shoes. Deal!
    So you've bought her a pair of Sidi Dominators in your size, right?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • dhope wrote:

Well I couldn't very well be seen on a new bike without matching shoes now, could I?
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    How is the boy these days?

Great thanks. I was looking at him yesterday and thought he looked odd - then I realised he was standing there without either of his crutches and I got him to walk around like that. I can't tell you how that feels - I wanted to cry with happiness.
    dhope wrote:

Well I couldn't very well be seen on a new bike without matching shoes now, could I?

I know. Damn that Royles voucher thing - it's calling to me :roll: :wink::D
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Great thanks. I was looking at him yesterday and thought he looked odd - then I realised he was standing there without either of his crutches and I got him to walk around like that. I can't tell you how that feels - I wanted to cry with happiness.

The best thing that I have read on here. Ever.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • veronese68
    daviesee wrote:

The best thing that I have read on here. Ever.
    + loads. I can't imagine how good that must feel.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Lovely looking bike - can't wait to see the build pictures.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Here's a couple of pics. More tomorrow when I plan a ride down to Loch Ness with the mudguards on

[img]Http://www.alfa.me.uk/images/VolagiOutside1.jpg[/img]

[img]Http://www.alfa.me.uk/images/VolagiOutside2.jpg[/img]