Taken the Volagi Plunge

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Well - I kinda had a rush of blood to the head and figured this bike would definitely be a "keeper" so I might as well go the whole hog and fit Di2. Saw it demo'd in my LBS and it looks great. It will definitely be the bike of my dreams
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    Got a good price on the Ultegra upgrade kit too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    Great Stuff, Tuesday in Highlands?

You'd hope. Bet I don't have it before Friday. The Highlands are on a different planet according to most delivery companies....

It's a race between the bike from CA and the Di2 from Germany

Delivery is estimated for 3rd Feb. So 3 days from CA to the UK and 6 from Cambridge to the Highlands :roll:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rjsterry wrote:
    davis wrote:
    How the deuce does one pronounce its name?

The nice lady on the phone said "volahjee" (with a US twang). I'd say the same sort of thing with more of an Italian accent. One of my colleague did suggest that he wouldn't buy a bike named after "lady parts" :D

The model is a "lissio"

cf. DDD and his Campy Athena nonsense :lol:

Purdy.

And of course meanredetcs pretty bike is also a semi Mixte :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Nice. Very nice. Can't wait to hear how you get on with it.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Mean, do youknow if there is any duty or VAT on the bike yet?
  • meanredspider
    Mean, do youknow if there is any duty or VAT on the bike yet?

No - but I'm expecting it. Having found out yesterday that I owe HMRC £2k more in tax than I was expecting, I feel like I'm already contributing enough - im already on a one-man drive to cut the trillion pound deficit!

I'll let you know. I should hear from Fed Ex early this week what I owe.
  • meanredspider
    Bike being delivered tonight, according to local FedEx office.

Di2 arrived in Inverness so should have that by Tuesday.

Big Volagi build this weekend...! (by which time Mrs MRS will be sick of it sitting in the living room!)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    (by which time Mrs MRS will be sick of it sitting in the living room!)

presumably this is something to which she will have to become accustomed?
  • (by which time Mrs MRS will be sick of it sitting in the living room!)

presumably this is something to which she will have to become accustomed?

Wall mounted in pride of place, surely?
  • meanredspider
    They tried to deliver it but EVERYONE (son recovering from cancer, wife with broken foot and daughter revising for Higher Prelims) was out!!!!! :shock: :cry::cry::cry:

Fortunately they delivered to neighbours :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Excellent, thanks heaven the neighbours were in. Go home now, take pics and post them for all to drool.
    For Sale Boardman CX, 1 careful owner, only used twice and that was on dry sunny days.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Thanks all. I'm pretty excited though not quite as excited, it seems, as the nice folk at Volagi to be selling their first bike into the UK. Will be just the bike to do my 600-mile West to East odyssey in the summer I think.

Excellent bike. Now what is this West to East odyssey you talk of?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent, thanks heaven the neighbours were in. Go home now, take pics and post them for all to drool.
    For Sale Boardman CX, 1 careful owner, only used twice and that was on dry sunny days.

I would sneak out of the office early, but it's a bit difficult in cycling gear.

It doesn't help that my neighbour said to Mrs MRS "Yes, it could be a bike - but a very light and very expensive one...."

I tried to respond by saying it was a "very light and cheap" bike. I'm not sure she fell for it.... :lol:
  • meanredspider

Planning on riding from Ardnamurchan Point (furthest mainland West) to Lowestoft (ditto East). Was initially going to do it with some folks from on here but they seem to have evaporated. Seemed an interesting alternative to LeJog.
  • Wallace1492

Planning on riding from Ardnamurchan Point (furthest mainland West) to Lowestoft (ditto East). Was initially going to do it with some folks from on here but they seem to have evaporated. Seemed an interesting alternative to LeJog.

Amazing! Mate of mine who lives pretty darn close to you keeps talking about this. Though his chosen route was East to West, and that would be mine probably. LeJog doesn't do it for me. Have thought about coastal tour of the Scottish mainland, but that is quite a mileage!
  • meanredspider

Amazing! Mate of mine who lives pretty darn close to you keeps talking about this. Though his chosen route was East to West, and that would be mine probably. LeJog doesn't do it for me. Have thought about coastal tour of the Scottish mainland, but that is quite a mileage!

The "problem" with East-to-West is the prevailing wind is from the west. I know it's actually SE to NW but it would be tough if you chose a windy week.

If he (or you) wants to team up, let me know. I don't mind doing it solo but it would be more fun in a small group. I was planning on travelling "light" and B&Bing it.

Too right about a tour of the Scottish mainland. Inverness to Milan is probably shorter!
  • Wallace1492
    To be honest the wind would not bother me. Yes on a windy week it would be murder, but a lot won't be "too" exposed.

We did Glasgow to Durness/Ullapool last year, via Arran and western isles. Travelled lightish, but camped. Great fun.
    Will be up North in April, but planning on Europe with Bongo for main holiday..... Then again after February, the whole year will be a holiday for me!!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Wow. That looks like a hell of an undertaking. When?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    Then again after February, the whole year will be a holiday for me!!

I hope that's not an "enforced" holiday (I noticed your other comment in the bonus thread)
    davis wrote:

West-to-East? Was going to be end May (after the Etape Caledonia) with the other guys and I may stick to that as I have a pretty busy calendar this year.
  • Wallace1492
    Then again after February, the whole year will be a holiday for me!!

I hope that's not an "enforced" holiday (I noticed your other comment in the bonus thread)
    davis wrote:

West-to-East? Was going to be end May (after the Etape Caledonia) with the other guys and I may stick to that as I have a pretty busy calendar this year.

Voluntary, and very happy about it.

You doing the Etape too? This will be my third year. Target of sub 4.30 looks to be dissapearing over a hill, but will have plenty of free time soon.
  • davis
    davis wrote:

How long have you allowed for that? Presumably if you're taking the Volagi it'd be supported in some way, right?
  • I reckon Icould live out of a Ruck sack between B&B and a launderette or two.

Jesus do we have to really wait until the weekend for you get it put together!!

Di2 Saw a Specialized please tell me you are not going to a big black box mounted on the downtube??

Oh and did you get the carbon wheelset?

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/Product/220 ... leShopping
  • meanredspider
    davis wrote:
    davis wrote:

How long have you allowed for that? Presumably if you're taking the Volagi it'd be supported in some way, right?

I was actually thinking I could just post a tshirt and shorts to each B&B along with anything else I might need in a kit - hand wash detergent for my kit, etc. Beyond that, I can carry what I need or buy it as I go.
  • meanredspider
    I reckon Icould live out of a Ruck sack between B&B and a launderette or two.

Jesus do we have to really wait until the weekend for you get it put together!!

Di2 Saw a Specialized please tell me you are not going to a big black box mounted on the downtube??

Oh and did you get the carbon wheelset?

I'm afraid you do. Sorry about that.

Err - yes - but it will blend in (a bit) with the carbon bottle holder.

No - they're only just developing the carbon wheelset now. The wheels are pretty light already but carbon wheels might be on my Xmas list.
  • wrong post doh!
  • meanredspider
    Volagi1.jpg

Volagi2.jpg
  • davis
    Lovely.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Very nice. How is it in the flesh?
  • meanredspider
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Very nice. How is it in the flesh?

Really very beautiful. So can't wait to try it in anger