Most underrated crisps?

Comments

• Boabym
    Boabym Posts: 22
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Does anyone Remember crisps from the early 80`s called Commanchero`s (faded cowboy`s on the front) :D

Best crisps ever were Tudor Gammon ( pity that lifts out of order done in a geordie accent). :mrgreen:

Fav crisps at the moment are Beef monster munch.

If perchance you ever find yourself on Spains sunny shores invest in a packet of Lays Barbecue Ham. A worthy substitute for Tudor Gammon!
  • Frazzles and McCoys Chilli.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    If any of you truly love Salt & Vinegar flavour then there is only one crisp to try.

The Co-Operative's Trul Irresistible Sea Salt & Chardonnay Wine Vinegar Crisps. Amazingly intense flavour, better than the powder on the Snack A Jack S&V's, stronger than Disco's S&V too!.

Me and the good woman are forever trying to source them as they run out of stores around here so quickly.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    Ringos Cheese & Onion & these babies
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Frazzles and smokey bacon - any brand really.

I once had a really jet lagged discussion with a petrol station till assistant in Leicester about how I couldn't buy any of his fine selction of smokey bacon crisps because I only had US Dollars and a credit card on me and if it was possible to buy some crisps on my credit card or to pay with US Dollars because the nearest cash machine was about 5 miles away.

As an aside, Monster Munch have now reverted to their former larger size and have branded themselves as such - part of Boots Meal Deal: Ploughmans, Monster Munch and huuuuge can of Monster energy drink.
  • Brannigans roast beef and mustard....
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Not underrated just disappeared of the face of the earth.

Nibbits. Absolutely fantastic potato puff type of snack, ready salted only.

Loved 'em as a child, alas never see them now.

Does anyone else remember them?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    Does anyone Remember crisps from the early 80`s called Commanchero`s (faded cowboy`s on the front) :D

Best crisps ever were Tudor Gammon ( pity that lifts out of order done in a geordie accent). :mrgreen:

Fav crisps at the moment are Beef monster munch.

I may be wrong but I think they were called Ranchero's.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Pipers cheese crisps, after every wed night ride it's into the local for a packet and guinness..ahhhh
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Hmmmm torn between Roysters (t-bone steak) and Golden Wonder cheese & onion...hmmmmm nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom nom :mrgreen:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Not underrated just disappeared of the face of the earth.

Nibbits. Absolutely fantastic potato puff type of snack, ready salted only.

Loved 'em as a child, alas never see them now.

Does anyone else remember them?

I remember someting called I think Nibbits Wheelz - cartwheel shaped and had wierd flavours (Onion and vinegar rings a bell!!). Had a squirrel on the packet.
  • shedhead
    shedhead Posts: 367
    i want to stop reading this thread now as it is making starving & wanting to go & eat half my body weight in salt & vingear discos ! :lol:
    'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,714
    T Bone Steak Roysters are my favourites. I also love Skips (but not proper crisps). I used to love Bovril crisps but I haven't seen them for years and Marmite where never quite the same.
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Mackies are excellent

LN_436624_BP_10.jpg

Salt n Vinegar are my favourite but their Scotch Bonnet chilli ones are nice too...even their haggis ones are good. Haggis crisps sound awful but definitely worth trying!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Nik Naks lemon & scampi flavour or Scampi fries or bacon fries
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,817
    Think this thread has to be nominated for the Thread you're only going to get in the UK award.
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Nik Naks lemon & scampi flavour or Scampi fries or bacon fries

+1 also a big fan, and also loving the shout on Royster's T-Bone steak flavour... aaarrrrgghhh....
    OM NOM
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    + 1 Smiths Bovril flavour crisps.

Golden Wonder Sausage & Tomato flavour + KP beef mini chips ( are we cyclists not supposed to be staying away from crisps etc ) ?? :mrgreen:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Irish cheese and onion Taytos with a few pints of Guinness ........
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    mfin wrote:
    jibberjim wrote:
    Hmm. Fish and Chips were indeed very good - however they were not crisps, like the cheddars above are baked so therefore are not crips. I don't know if fish and chips still exist, https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32841559484 suggests not, but then snackspot suggests they are... I've certainly not seen them in a long time. I think Piglets were also made by them and were another great option.

Reconsitituted corn snacks are not crisps either (so no nik naks) crisps are made of potato!

The most under rated crisp - tesco value cheese and onion - completely edible interesting flavour and under-rated for the cost.

Fish n Chips were made by Burtons werent they, not the clothes shop tho (remember Fosters menswear too? 80s!! <--- random comment)... ah, Piglets!! Good call, they were real delicate and thin werent they, they had odd flavours too, Bacon and Bean I remember for sure but didnt they do quite a few, I THINK they did Pickled Onion but not sure if that pre-dated Monster Munch (who seem to be THE snack that comes to mind when you mention pickled onion flavour of course).

If Salt n Shake still exist and sell (which were crap really) then they should bring back Fish n Chips, most people old enough to remember loved them!

I remember Burton's Piglets in bean & bacon flavour!! Seem to recall that they usually got crushed in transit and so finding intact whole pig shapes in the bag was a rare event. They also did Potato Puffs too - probably manufactured the same way but without the novelty shape.

Still waiting for Walkers to release some sort of novelty crisp-style snack that looks like giant ears. Not sure where the inspiration behind that lay or who could do their TV ad campaign though. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • wheat-crunchies-spicy-tomatoes.jpg

perfect for when you have the munchies :wink:
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    These were so underrated they stopped making them.......

Smith%27s+Crisps.jpg

The fun of ferreting around for a little twisted blue bag of salt, and finding two or three as a kid is not to be underestimated!!
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Aggieboy wrote:

Available in just about every supermarket including own brand versions in many?
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    jibberjim wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:

Available in just about every supermarket including own brand versions in many?

Ahh, but not with the twisty blue bag. You're probably too young to understand :wink:

salt.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    In first place, Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail

closely followed by Mini Cheddars
  • symo wrote:
    If any of you truly love Salt & Vinegar flavour then there is only one crisp to try.

The Co-Operative's Trul Irresistible Sea Salt & Chardonnay Wine Vinegar Crisps. Amazingly intense flavour, better than the powder on the Snack A Jack S&V's, stronger than Disco's S&V too!.

Me and the good woman are forever trying to source them as they run out of stores around here so quickly.
    Order some?
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    SheffSimon wrote:
    In first place, Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail

+1. Can't believe it took this long in the thread for Seabrooks to be mentioned. They used to have proper amounts of flavouring too :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Quentin Crisp
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    edited January 2012
    shedhead wrote:
    i want to stop reading this thread now as it is making starving & wanting to go & eat half my body weight in salt & vingear discos ! :lol:

You'll be wanting to wear one of these perhaps?

http://www.chargrilled.co.uk/t-shirts/W ... -t-shirt.m

;)

Grrr. Can't get the link to work properly. :(

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    0023753_250.jpeg