Most underrated crisps?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited February 2012 in The bottom bracket
What do people think are the most underrated crisps??

Salt & Vinegar Disco's get my vote

Comments

• lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Where are crisps rated?
  • mfin
    edited January 2012
    Here

(Wish they still made those Fish n Chips ones that only seem to have ever been sold in swimming pool snack vending machines, they were good)
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    I did an OD on McCoys. I've now gone on to French Fries, except they're nothing like French Fries, they don't come in a little paper bag with a big mac. (With gopic slices of gherkin)

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    McVities_Mini_Cheddars_Original.jpg
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Anything that's pickled onion flavour !! Nom nom nom !
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQovjHDMfqNpk3rkWmuGR_jdHijXlQou7WKrASW13uslMObEniv
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Had a discussion recently during lunch at work about the emergence of 'posh' crisps, that years ago it was mainly Walkers, Smiths and some supermarket own brands where as these days the crisp aisle can stretch for feckin miles. It seems like a triumph of modern marketing how one particular item has expanded into so many varieties and elaborate descriptions of flavours, cheese and onion becoming 'Vintage Cheddar and Onion Chutney'. Sadly I've fallen for it and Tyrrells lightly-salted are my favourite with Morrisons best a close second ;)
  • Nik Naks nice n spicy, man i ate a lot of those at school! Oat crunchies too, they were good.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Worcester Sauce Walkers. Tesco round the corner from the office doesn't stock them anymore, gits. Oh how i miss them...
  • mfin
    Hmmm, im not into the gourmet crisps myself, ham and pickle and so on is cool, but when it gets all '3 month matured cow's knuckle and fromage frais' I think naaaaaaa ....now and again you get a good flavour, like the sensations ones tho, I think its the hard texture of Kettle Chips I dont like (I dont have false teeth), give me a supermarket's own brand cheap bag of Onion Rings or Burger Bites over that kind of thing anyday.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    MattC59 wrote:

Meanies. They were 5p a bag and I remember eating far too many in one sitting once.
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    MattC59 wrote:

Meanies. They were 5p a bag and I remember eating far too many in one sitting once.

Can Space Raiders still be had for 10p though?

It is 100% Scientific FACT that if you eat more than 3 bags of space raiders in one sitting, your tongue WILL desolve.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    lemoncurd wrote:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQovjHDMfqNpk3rkWmuGR_jdHijXlQou7WKrASW13uslMObEniv

we have a winner.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Nah! Those Pombears are completely tasteless. Quavers now, lovely, lovely.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Hmm. Fish and Chips were indeed very good - however they were not crisps, like the cheddars above are baked so therefore are not crips. I don't know if fish and chips still exist, https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32841559484 suggests not, but then snackspot suggests they are... I've certainly not seen them in a long time. I think Piglets were also made by them and were another great option.

Reconsitituted corn snacks are not crisps either (so no nik naks) crisps are made of potato!

The most under rated crisp - tesco value cheese and onion - completely edible interesting flavour and under-rated for the cost.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Do Monster Munch count? If so they have my vote, and I mean the old large version, not the modern smaller ones. :D
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Of course Monster Munch don't count! They're corn, and they're baked!
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    MattC59 wrote:

Can Space Raiders still be had for 10p though?

It is 100% Scientific FACT that if you eat more than 3 bags of space raiders in one sitting, your tongue WILL desolve.

As soon as they went healthy (well, oven baked instead of fried i think), they went horrible. Same with Monster munch, and IIRC, Space Invaders are 15p a pack!
  • mfin
    jibberjim wrote:
    Hmm. Fish and Chips were indeed very good - however they were not crisps, like the cheddars above are baked so therefore are not crips. I don't know if fish and chips still exist, https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32841559484 suggests not, but then snackspot suggests they are... I've certainly not seen them in a long time. I think Piglets were also made by them and were another great option.

Reconsitituted corn snacks are not crisps either (so no nik naks) crisps are made of potato!

The most under rated crisp - tesco value cheese and onion - completely edible interesting flavour and under-rated for the cost.

Fish n Chips were made by Burtons werent they, not the clothes shop tho (remember Fosters menswear too? 80s!! <--- random comment)... ah, Piglets!! Good call, they were real delicate and thin werent they, they had odd flavours too, Bacon and Bean I remember for sure but didnt they do quite a few, I THINK they did Pickled Onion but not sure if that pre-dated Monster Munch (who seem to be THE snack that comes to mind when you mention pickled onion flavour of course).

If Salt n Shake still exist and sell (which were crap really) then they should bring back Fish n Chips, most people old enough to remember loved them!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    hedgehog_crisps_2.jpg

where have these gone - cant buy them anymore - not my favourite, but must have gone down well with Pikeys
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • If I can't pick monster munch then cheese n onion square crisps.
    Yum
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • DrKJM
    DrKJM Posts: 271
    jibberjim wrote:

You wouldn't mind having a word with my wife would you? When she asked me if I wanted anything from the shops I asked her to get some crisps and she came back with some baked things that were inedible. A little thing I know, but crisps is crisps.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Burger flavoured Pringles, mmmmmm.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    There were some from when i was a kid, cheesy quarterback crisp ( cannot remember the correct name )

My vice is now Nando's hot peri-peri crisps from the big supermarkets, cannot get enough of these bad boys especially when it is sandwich time!

Especially if you like the taste of Napalm in the morning! ha ha ( quote from the bag itself )
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nobby's salt & vinegar.

Enough vinegar on those to get you sweating.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Pickled Onioncrisps ..but recommend Salt & Vineger rice cakes instead of crisps
    jc
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Crisps are something that doesn't require fuss, lavish branding & marketing. There's only one winner here - Walkers Cheese & Onion.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Does anyone Remember crisps from the early 80`s called Commanchero`s (faded cowboy`s on the front) :D

Best crisps ever were Tudor Gammon ( pity that lifts out of order done in a geordie accent). :mrgreen:

Fav crisps at the moment are Beef monster munch.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    walkers-french-fries-salt-vinegar-flavour-potato-snacks-case-of-48-bags-6097-p.jpg
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.