Road side finds

Comments

• neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    I found a scrumpled up nudey book. I thought all of that was extinct with the arrival of the internets. But I did lose a wallet with 185£ in erm...somewhere.

When I started riding there didn't seem to be a lay-by in the south of England without disposed-of nudey mags. Perv's paradise.
    I once followed a trail of pound coins for about a mile. They seemed to have been dispensed at regular intervals out of something. Would have been more practical if the careless sod had left them in one convenient pile to pick up.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    neilo23 wrote:
    I found a scrumpled up nudey book. I thought all of that was extinct with the arrival of the internets. But I did lose a wallet with 185£ in erm...somewhere.

When I started riding there didn't seem to be a lay-by in the south of England without disposed-of nudey mags.

Discarded jazz mags - not something you see that often these days. Probably all down to t'internet. Either that or folk are stockpiling their old ones as potential collectors items....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • neilo23
    neilo23 wrote:

When I started riding there didn't seem to be a lay-by in the south of England without disposed-of nudey mags.

Discarded jazz mags - not something you see that often these days. Probably all down to t'internet. Either that or folk are stockpiling their old ones as potential collectors items....

David

We can start a thread: "Girls in jazz mags found whilst out cycling". There can never be enough "girls in..." threads on Bikeradar. I've heard that some people expect cycling threads here. Weirdos...
  • neilo23
    Clint: 185 quid? That's 41.11 copies of Men's World which you could later dispose of on your ride!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Found a mini-pump in the middle of the road near Ellesmere on Sunday morning. It prompted me to ponder whether to get labels for my own stuff (the kids have them on lunch boxes).

The other week I picked up a spring clamp, the kind used to hold tarp on market stalls.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Blimey, i'm riding in the wrong areas!! All i ever see is dead hogs, single shoes (why is it you always just find 1 shoe by the kerbside & not 2?), maybe the odd pile of sick too.

Err, i take it you gave the cards & cash back with the wallet?
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    cyco2 wrote:
    I haven't had a bad year so far.

5 woolly hats. Washed up really well
    1 neck warmer
    1 pannier bag
    1 wallet with cards and £185 in it
    4 gloves
    1 camping gaz cooker
    1 ladies bicycle

I cannot understand how people lose things so easily. The cooker was in really good condition. The wallet found its way back intact to the owner. Was he happy!!!. The bike was reported to the police 6 weeks ago.
    How have you been doing?

Technically, that's classed as theft isn't it if you didn't hand it in?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    snap -on box wrench, car driven off with boxes of jewellry on the roof i tried to find the house where they come from but gave up, it was only cheap tat anyway. only thing lost on road was my alien rx tool in very good condition so someone had a good find.
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    A broken chain, only looks like it's done about 20 miles.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    lemoncurd wrote:

Did you note the brand and vow to avoid purchasing it?
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I would be happy to hand anything back to owners but taking them to a police station in the expectation the owners would claim them is a bit fortuitous. The poor s*d who lost the £185 must have been devastated and I felt for him and wanted to see his face when he got it all back just before Christmas.
    I ride nearly every day 25 to 40 miles mainly off road around different parts of South Oxfordshire which is why I am bound to keep finding things.
    My regret is I'm not a chef because the road kill would make some super meals. My local pub I'm sure would be upgraded by them being on the menu. :D

1 new car scissor jack was one item I forgot to include. I bet the person who forgot it is going to be peed off next time they have to change a wheel.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    lemoncurd wrote:

Anyone know TheBigBee's address? I'll send you the postage to get it to him!! :lol::lol::lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    gog555 wrote:
    Mostly dead things!

Yepp, nothing beats the smell of a month old dead badger first thing in the morning.

5 mile straight road with a slowly rotting deer or fox even, add the breeze and you've got yourself a vomit wind-tunnel
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    brettjmcc wrote:
    cyco2 wrote:
    I haven't had a bad year so far.

5 woolly hats. Washed up really well
    1 neck warmer
    1 pannier bag
    1 wallet with cards and £185 in it
    4 gloves
    1 camping gaz cooker
    1 ladies bicycle

I cannot understand how people lose things so easily. The cooker was in really good condition. The wallet found its way back intact to the owner. Was he happy!!!. The bike was reported to the police 6 weeks ago.
    How have you been doing?

Did you not bother reading the bit underlined then?

Technically, that's classed as theft isn't it if you didn't hand it in?
  • cyco2
    I had just climbed over Shotover Hill, Oxford, and about to join the path around Oxford when I spotted a torn black bag in the hedge with some clothing and litter in it. A coat in it caught my eye so I folded it up and clamped it on my carrier.
    When I got home to check it out I found it was my size and was a berghaus Mera peak Goretex XCR. It got a good wash before I tried it on.
    I went into Blacks to see what it cost. The one I found was blue and grey and the ones in the shop are black. I guess it's a fashion thing. Anyway, the price on it was £260. How can a jacket be so expensive ?
    I don't suppose I'll ever realise the value of it because I have several equally as good for a fiver from charity shops.
    ...................................................................................................

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    cyco2 wrote:
    When I got home to check it out I found it was my size and was a berghaus Mera peak Goretex XCR............
    I have several equally as good for a fiver from charity shops.

Except they're not, are they...........
    :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Brace of pheasants. Thought they had been runover and one hell of a coincidence - mile further on - big shoot... :shock:
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    cyco2 wrote:
    I had just climbed over Shotover Hill, Oxford, and about to join the path around Oxford when I spotted a torn black bag in the hedge with some clothing and litter in it. A coat in it caught my eye so I folded it up and clamped it on my carrier.
    When I got home to check it out I found it was my size and was a berghaus Mera peak Goretex XCR. It got a good wash before I tried it on.
    I went into Blacks to see what it cost. The one I found was blue and grey and the ones in the shop are black. I guess it's a fashion thing. Anyway, the price on it was £260. How can a jacket be so expensive ?
    I don't suppose I'll ever realise the value of it because I have several equally as good for a fiver from charity shops.

You found it, and you're still moaning about how much it cost! Reminds me of the old joke about the fella who found a cash wage packet on the way home and couldn't get over how much tax he'd paid. Give it to the charity shop and then you can buy it back for a fiver if it makes you feel better.
  • cyco2 wrote:

You never heard of capitalism? Do you think an iphone costs £400 to make?
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    Found a pair of the wife`s shoes once-she must have left them on top of the car and they fell off on the first bend from the house.Put them back in the wardrobe and never mentioned since-just waiting like.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • A dead badger and lots and lots of pot holes!
  • cyco2
    You found it, and you're still moaning about how much it cost! Reminds me of the old joke about the fella who found a cash wage packet on the way home and couldn't get over how much tax he'd paid. Give it to the charity shop and then you can buy it back for a fiver if it makes you feel better.

You're under rating the ability of charity personnel to spot a garment worth more than the usual fiver. So, making it unaffordable to me.

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    cyco2 wrote:

You're under rating the ability of charity personnel to spot a garment worth more than the usual fiver. So, making it unaffordable to me.

Best not give it to them then! This is your lucky day, a new jacket and you've just saved yourself a fiver. :wink:
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Collection of wigs.
  • usual boring stuff bits of clothes, bits of cars, dead stuff. I've also found a small collection of tools over the years, a hammer, a few screwdrivers, couple of pairs of plyers & some mole grips. They all still get used.

In the car I had a lucky escape when a one of the tarpaulin weights flew off the lorry in front and shattered the windscreen into a million pieces, bounced off and embedded itself in the trailer I was towing. it was like a top gear deceleration test from 80 to 0 and over to the hard shoulder in nano seconds
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    random man wrote:
    All I come across are dead animals and odd shoes :?

Erm, I think you need help :wink:
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    What's the deal with the odd shoes? Are people driving with one foot out the window? Do you know of anyone who's come back home with just one shoe on? "Dash and bother, must have dropped the other one somewhere on the road. Again."
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Riding through army training areas I've found smoke grenades, blank ammunition, illumination flares (both live and used for all three), dummy anti personal mines, dummy explosive charges, army issue talcum powder, and lots of ration packs (rice pudding is my favourite bit).

Around this time of year the local snakes start sniffing out mates and head in a straight line across roads, so dead adders and grass snakes as unusual road kill, alongside the deer, pheasants, foxes, badgers etc.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    recently a mini pump and also a nice blackberry (the phone type), returned to owner. Other things in the past include tools, clothes etc but little of use, and nothing very unusual.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    natrix wrote:
    Riding through army training areas I've found smoke grenades, blank ammunition, illumination flares (both live and used for all three), dummy anti personal mines, dummy explosive charges, army issue talcum powder, and lots of ration packs (rice pudding is my favourite bit).

Around this time of year the local snakes start sniffing out mates and head in a straight line across roads, so dead adders and grass snakes as unusual road kill, alongside the deer, pheasants, foxes, badgers etc.

Dude, seriously - if things are that hard that you have to eat rice pudding that you find at the side of the road just pm me your address and I'll sling you a fiver to get you through the week.