The truth about getting Fat.

Comments

• Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Oh dear, that's not gone well has it?

The simple fact of the matter is, it really doesn't matter where and what the calories come from (or even how it's cooked) if the total amount of calories consumed are greater than those used, you will get fat. End of.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've enjoyed this thread.
  • Glycaemic Index, Blood Sugar rates and levels, these are concepts I am trying to understand. Fortunately, I am not diabetic and I would like to think I'm not heavy but these concepts apply to cycling and exercise as well.

Per this statement.
    so you could eat a diet of egg bacon sausage and veg and be a lot heathier than some one who ate, bread, pasta and fruit by the bucket load.

I believe this is about eating protein vs. eating pasta, breads and the OP probably meant your white refined breads and pasta which somehow seems to be related to sugar intake again. I think I recognise some of the points the OP was making but did not defend fully.

But I would limit the egg amount, 1 a day, maybe 2, the rest being egg white, good protein.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    supersonic wrote:
    Out of interest, which uni are you at?

This.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Glycaemic Index, Blood Sugar rates and levels, these are concepts I am trying to understand. Fortunately, I am not diabetic and I would like to think I'm not heavy but these concepts apply to cycling and exercise as well.

Per this statement.
    so you could eat a diet of egg bacon sausage and veg and be a lot heathier than some one who ate, bread, pasta and fruit by the bucket load.

I believe this is about eating protein vs. eating pasta, breads and the OP probably meant your white refined breads and pasta which somehow seems to be related to sugar intake again. I think I recognise some of the points the OP was making but did not defend fully.

But I would limit the egg amount, 1 a day, maybe 2, the rest being egg white, good protein.
    There is no need to limit eggs unless they are fried of course.

And why just egg whites? That's like buying a Ferarrai and throwing the engine away.
  • Glycaemic Index, Blood Sugar rates and levels, these are concepts I am trying to understand. Fortunately, I am not diabetic and I would like to think I'm not heavy but these concepts apply to cycling and exercise as well.

Per this statement.

There is no need to limit eggs unless they are fried of course.

And why just egg whites? That's like buying a Ferarrai and throwing the engine away.

Per the original poster, I would not eat the bacon or sausage, at least in large amounts and probably not more than once a week. The original poster is trying to say something but needs to examine the topic more.

As for egg yokes, another post in this thread refers to "high cholesterol", now this is a debatable topic as there exist those who say this is not a danger. Some might say it is healthy cholesterol. Until I know better I would limit my intake.

The post I was referring to said we get 70% of our daily cholesterol from one egg yoke. It must be on page 1 of this thread. Ah, by Northern Monkey:
    I look forward to the NHS advert advocating the greasy fry up instead of a pasta dish.

1 large fried egg has around 70% of your daily advised cholesterol intake...

I think the OP I am saying again, was trying to make some points but was not stating it the correct way.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Eggs make no real impression on cholesterol levels as was assumed when food science wasn't as scientific. The bigger problem is saturated fat so there is no reason to stop eating eggs unless a professional (dietician/GP) specifically instructs you to.Eggs can be part of a problem but often not the problem,the internet regurgitates the eggs are bad mantra all too often.

An eater of 25+ eggs per week.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    I wouldn't want to eat that many eggs. I don't like eggs.
  • cajun_cyclist
    cajun_cyclist Posts: 493
    edited February 2012
    Angry Bird wrote:
    I wouldn't want to eat that many eggs. I don't like eggs.

I've experienced it definitely from both ways, at times, I loved eggs and at times, I've pushed them away. I believe egg whites and this is not to put down the yoke part but by themselves, egg whites are the perfect protein because it has all of the amino acids http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm (these people are making a pitch for liquid egg whites) , available is egg white protein powder which in some unflavoured brands is rather inexpensive but they would foam up to an unbelievable extent. Foams up as if you were making a lemon meringue pie. Do regular egg whites taste bad by themselves? Well, maybe. They can be flavoured but if I can take the basics, I'll do that.

At this point though, I would not be too alarmed to eat the yoke as well. Internet or from where ever, there is a lot of conflicting information about.

(edited: grammar changed)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    supersonic wrote:

This one http://www.diplomareplacementservice.com/
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    stubs wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

This one http://www.diplomareplacementservice.com/
    It all makes sense now
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If he really is at a proper Uni then god help us all. I know nothing of sports nutrition but a quick read of wiki and I could knock out a couple of pages better than that garbage.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    edited February 2012
    This is fun!

I've been on a high protein, low carb diet for the best part of a year. During this time I did mainly strength training and got leaner, stronger and fitter.

However, when it came to endurance and cardio the girls in my circuits classes were destroying me. They ate more regular balanced Western diets. Sure I could lift more weight, but I was out of breath quicker and in an hour of circuits I needed to pause for breath every five or ten minutes as my heart rate was constantly high and I was out of breath.

I ate 'fry ups' every day, but if you fry everything you'll leave yourself open to heart problems. Yes, the 80s and 90s should be criticised for seeing fat as the enemy, but saturated fat is still dangerous. Grill your bacon, cut off the fat, poach the eggs and avoid the sausage. Most people on this diet would avoid bacon and substitute a chicken breast or a steak, but that's not for me.

Changing my diet for mountain biking in the past few months has seen some changes. My NO supplement (dilated blood vessels thus quicker recovery from exertion) created a problem in cardio classes. Yes my muscles could recover quickly from the weight, but then circuits is low weight, high repetition. The downside of dilated blood vessels is reaching your lactate threshold quicker. Yes it flushes quicker too, but this explained the temporary exhaustion. I changed to biking specific products and the change was obvious. I couldn't lift the same weights consistently, but I didn't have to stop for breath as often.

Now I have more carbs in my diet I can endure longer periods above and around my lactate threshold. I still strength train, and time my supplements so that NO is only taken before strength training, and is avoided if any cardio is planned later in the day.

I now eat 50/30/20 split of Carbs-Protein-Fat. This is geared towards the MTB season ahead.

I have not increased my body fat as I am still careful how many calories I consume and train regularly. My strength training has slowed slightly due to less use of NO supplements and more time on the bike, but this is expected. I can hopefully maintain my body shape, increase strength and improve endurance over the next few months until the end of the season, when I will go back to high protein for next seasons Base period, before increasing carbs into the late base and early build periods.

I don't have a degree in sports science, this is all from experience. And I managed to type this legibly and without forcing my view!

Height 5'8
    Weight 70kg
    Body Fat % around 9%

If something changes I shall let you all know, but I'd say decades of research into endurance sports dicates that carbs are essential. If you're a weightlifter then yes, high protein low carb is best. If you have a race against a weightlifter though you'll see what happens!

If I was your average joe trying to lose weight, I would recommend a 35/45/20 split or similar carb/protein/fat as I believe this is optimum for losing weight but only as part of a weights and circuit based gym regime. If you like to run and bike, you'll need a few more carbs. Just go into a 500 or so calorie a day deficit when not riding.

*EDITED SOME BITS
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    stubs wrote:
    If he really is at a proper Uni then god help us all. I know nothing of sports nutrition but a quick read of wiki and I could knock out a couple of pages better than that garbage.

I've been waiting patiently for nearly a month for the OP to return and grace us with his advice once again. I'm somewhat disappointed that a 3rd year student couldn't accurately pen a counter argument vs any of the posts questioning his.

Rankles wrote:
    This is fun!

I've been on a high protein, low carb diet for the best part of a year. During this time I did mainly strength training and got leaner, stronger and fitter.

However, when it came to endurance and cardio the girls in my circuits classes were destroying me. They ate more regular balanced Western diets. Sure I could lift more weight, but I was out of breath quicker and in an hour of circuits I needed to pause for breath every five or ten minutes as my heart rate was constantly high and I was out of breath.

I ate 'fry ups' every day, but if you fry everything you'll leave yourself open to heart problems. Yes, the 80s and 90s should be criticised for seeing fat as the enemy, but saturated fat is still dangerous. Grill your bacon, cut off the fat, poach the eggs and avoid the sausage. Most people on this diet would avoid bacon and substitute a chicken breast or a steak, but that's not for me.

Changing my diet for mountain biking in the past few months has seen some changes. My NO supplement (dilated blood vessels thus quicker recovery from exertion) created a problem in cardio classes. Yes my muscles could recover quickly from the weight, but the circuits is low weight, high repetition. The downside of dilated blood vessels reaching your lactate threshold quicker. Yes it flushes quicker too, but this explained the exhaustion. I changed to biking specific products and the change was obvious. I couldn't lift the same weights consistently, but I didn't have to stop for breath as often.

Now I have more carbs in my diet I can endure longer periods above and around my lactate threshold. I still strength train, and time my supplements so that NO is only taken before strength training, and is avoided if any cardio is planned later in the day.

I now eat 50/30/20 split of Carbs-Protein-Fat. This is geared towards the MTB season ahead.

I have not increased my body fat as I am still careful how many calories I consume and train regularly. My strength training has slowed slightly due to less use of NO supplements and more time on the bike, but this is expected. I can hopefully maintain my body shape, increase strength and improve endurance over the next few months until the end of the season, when I will go back to high protein for next seasons Base period, before increasing carbs into the late base and early build periods.

I don't have a degree, this is all from experience. And I managed to type this legibly and without forcing my view!

Height 5'8
    Weight 70kg
    Body Fat % around 9%

If something changes I shall let you all know, but I'd say decades of research into endurance sports dicates that carbs are essential. If you're a weightlifter then yes, high protein low carb is best. If you have a race against a weightlifter though you'll see what that causes!

If I was your average joe trying to lose weight, I would recommend a 35/45/20 split or similar carb/protein/fat as I believe this is optimum for losing weight but only as part of a weights and circuit based gym regime. If you like to run and bike, you'll need a few more carbs. Just go into a 500 or so calorie a day deficit when not riding.
    Breath of fresh air. Thank you and well done :)
  • I got a rice cooker not too long ago, I've cooked mainly brown rice and quinoa, besides providing protein though, I've got to think these are big carbohydrate foods as well. The cooker is a handy little utensil.

Quinoa is mentioned here in this bike radar "vegetarian" article: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... -mix-29469 , it's listed as a superfood along with Quorn which I don't know too much about.

Eggs are listed as a superfood too. Unlike when I was a kid, it seems now there are a lot of vegans so they would not even have eggs, they take no byproducts from animals, no milk, etc. Vegetarians can have eggs.

I didn't know Mark Cavendish was a vegetarian, that surprises me a little. They list some cyclists on that page.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I got a rice cooker not too long ago, I've cooked mainly brown rice and quinoa, besides providing protein though, I've got to think these are big carbohydrate foods as well. The cooker is a handy little utensil.

Quinoa is mentioned here in this bike radar "vegetarian" article: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... -mix-29469 , it's listed as a superfood along with Quorn which I don't know too much about.

Eggs are listed as a superfood too. Unlike when I was a kid, it seems now there are a lot of vegans so they would not even have eggs, they take no byproducts from animals, no milk, etc. Vegetarians can have eggs.

I didn't know Mark Cavendish was a vegetarian, that surprises me a little. They list some cyclists on that page.

What do you make of Quinoa? I tried making it once as per packet (probably first mistake) and it didn't turn out well.

Apparantly Cav mentions going vegetarian in his book,Levi Leipheimer is another iirc.
  • T.M.H.N.E.T: Quinoa tastes okay, really like hot cereal but it and brown rice are both filling and I do like that instead of eating some other foods. I'm still studying Quinoa but they seem to be good for the system. I will put some condiments in it, vegetables, maybe some turkey ham which I have right now.
    “Quinoa, which is a sort of seed-grain, is another great option for any diet,” he says. “It’s regarded by many as a superfood, because it’s high in protein with a low GI and a good combination of essential fats.” This means the energy it provides will be released slowly over the course of your ride, sustaining you for longer.

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... -mix-29469

Back to eggs:

Bike Radar article on Eggs:
    Cholesterol question

The only problem is that eating eggs is often frowned on because they are one of the richest sources of cholesterol – people will tell you that the chances of keeling over with a heart attack are greater than getting knocked off your bike! But fear not! For most healthy cyclists high cholesterol foods are a minor cause of raised blood cholesterol; saturated and processed (hydrogenated) fats are the real enemy.

These are around six times more likely to push up artery clogging cholesterol levels in your blood than eating cholesterol rich foods. However, if you do suffer from high blood cholesterol, diabetes, or have a family history of heart disease, it is important to restrict your cholesterol intake. The World Health Organisation recommends an upper limit of 300mg cholesterol per day (one medium egg yolk contains 200mg cholesterol

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/a ... 0&ns_fee=0

I'm just stating what they say and not vouching for it, I've heard the "cholesterol is okay" arguments as well. I've eaten so many eggs, relatively speaking that right now, I'm a bit at a lull about eating them, a sandwich the other day.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    One thing I did notice in the article is the mention about quality of egg. This is a big factor,think 2000 birds in one shed or 20 birds pecking around a field happily. The difference in egg quality and even the shell is night and day.

Luckily I have sources of eggs so rarely have to buy battery eggs,hell even the meat quality is different. It's only right that when the hen stops laying,you eat it :D
  • One thing I did notice in the article is the mention about quality of egg. This is a big factor,think 2000 birds in one shed or 20 birds pecking around a field happily. The difference in egg quality and even the shell is night and day.

Luckily I have sources of eggs so rarely have to buy battery eggs,hell even the meat quality is different. It's only right that when the hen stops laying,you eat it :D

This is probably so, it just dawned on me that this is the "processed food" argument, when talking about this, it's not always just things that are put into foods, it's how livestock and poultry are raised differently than they were say, 100 or 200 years ago when they probably could run all over the place. Yes, I think I've seen on eggs and chickens for sale, something like "Free Range" meaning the chickens can run around and "Cage Free" meaning of course, they are not kept in cages.

I won't get into the argument now but it is an interesting discussion on raw vs. pasteurised milk, I even bought some organic pasteurised milk not long ago, still was a bit hard on my digestion, I basically take care in drinking milk though most of the other dairy products are not much trouble.

Yes, that makes sense, chickens are raised differently. It's the same thing when people want meat without the hormones injections, organic beef and so on.
  • I'm torn on training and nutrition.

I'm a ex bodybuilder. And am having to throw away my old rule book.
    My brain says plenty of protein But my body is screaming out for carbs.

Different diets for different sports.however the best thing to do is do what YOUR body needs. And get regular check ups at the docs.

I know a very fat man that lived to just over 90yrs old and I also know a slim bloke who died at 45 with high cholesterol

There may be similar rules but we are all different
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Woah, this thread was a fantastic read, disappointed I missed this one :lol:

Stuart, you really need to start going to those lectures. My car is petrol, diesel would break it, ergo ALL diesel is BAD!

Wish I'd known so I would have stopped carbo-loading before rides, from now on im fatto-loading. Thanks!
  • MTB-Matt
    MTB-Matt Posts: 46
    If the OP pops back we need to ask him what a trolls diet consists of?
  • Rankles
    Rankles Posts: 144
    MTB-Matt wrote:
    If the OP pops back we need to ask him what a trolls diet consists of?

I'm not sure he was one. Be honest. On a very simplistic level, ie one which someone who attends one class of a nutrition course and thinks they're an expert will say, carbs are the cause of most weight gain in the general population.

However a forum of endurance athletes are not te majority of the population and their needs differ greatly.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    forum of endurance athletes

That's me that is ;-)
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Sounds like solid information for mumsnet, not a huge amount else.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    ok i can't keep pace and i need to do uni work just watch the vid please and il constrict a more meaning full 'argument' for later when i can be bothered or i might just save my breath to blow my porridge with f you watch the video and it has no impact at all.

Thanks for your time

Two months on and well. Nothing :roll: :lol::mrgreen:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dietary cholesterol has little influence on serum cholesterol. Eat yer prawn omelettes with impunity!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And the yellow bit in the middle of an egg is a YOLK.

A YOKE is what you put round the neck of a beast of burden when you want it to pull something heavy

(pedantic rant over)
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    mattyg2004 wrote:
    Different diets for different sports.however the best thing to do is do what YOUR body needs.

Very true.

And those needs will change depending on what you're doing.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    3 months on. Stu must be busy studying and telling the NHS they're wrong

:lol: