UKs best fast food restaurant

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    SimonAH wrote:
    Out of the chain fast food outlets then it has to be Subway. Italian BMT on hearty Italian bread. Cheese (not grilled), hold the cucumber, jalapeneos, olives and a bit of mayo. Nom nom.

NO!!!!

Under no circumstances do the citizens of this Country say "hold the..." to anything food related that we do not wish to be included in the item we are purchasing.

Understood.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Oh, oh, wait! I forgot Willis the butchers!! OMG. The only real reason for visiting Cwmbran.

Top top quality butchers that also run hot foods from their two stores - roast meat (and all the trimmings) crusty rolls, ribs, pies, rosti, shepherds pie, ham hocks, chops, wings, drumsticks, steak and onions.......carnivore heaven!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:
    Out of the chain fast food outlets then it has to be Subway. Italian BMT on hearty Italian bread. Cheese (not grilled), hold the cucumber, jalapeneos, olives and a bit of mayo. Nom nom.

NO!!!!

Under no circumstances do the citizens of this Country say "hold the..." to anything food related that we do not wish to be included in the item we are purchasing.

Understood.

"Hey guys! What can I get you today?"

"Some service without the ghastly Americanisms, please."

On another note... Chicken Cottage, KFC. No... Just, no. It takes a real evil genius to take a hunk of lean protein and transform it into something unhealthy.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    At work, anything from White Cross Street [/foodsnob]. At home, the local chippy is pretty good - Moon House IIRC.

Burritos from the green van?

Haven't tried that yet. Usually go for a hog roast bap with all the bits, and a crumble tart from the french bakery stall, followed by a snooze.

Mmm, dangerous game that, big lunch at work.

The chicken escalope ciabatta with everything (that'll be cheese, tabasco, mayo, 'salad') from Pavarotti's (Pav for short) is something to be savoured

Noted. I find a large mug of strong coffee does the trick.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:

Noted. I find a large mug of strong coffee does the trick.

I find that just makes me edgy, my heart beat like crazy but my eyelids are still heavy.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Anywhere that does a good Shawarma!!

Couple of good ones near Edgware Road, and a decent one just next to one of our offices on Norton Folgate.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • SimonAH
    When I used to live in Fulham it was a burger at Ed's easy diner followed by desert at My Old Dutch Pancake House (no idea if they are both still there on the Kings Road?

• rick_chasey
    SimonAH wrote:
    When I used to live in Fulham it was a burger at Ed's easy diner followed by desert at My Old Dutch Pancake House (no idea if they are both still there on the Kings Road?

Pancake house is still there.

You thinking of the Big Easy?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Does Leon count? Yum.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH wrote:

No, that's not it. Ed's was a kitshy 50's diner with barstools, SS counter surrounding the cook area and little jukeboxes with the likes of the big bopper that played for a 5p coin.

Ah, they still exist, just not on the King's road any more; http://edseasydiner.com/

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

NO!!!!

Understood.

On another note... Chicken Cottage, KFC. No... Just, no. It takes a real evil genius to take a hunk of lean protein and transform it into something unhealthy.
    Does that mean I have genius intellect. I usually manage to make my chicken into an unhealthy meal.

Although I suppose technically I'm only following the instructions on the jar so not really using my intellect.
  • Ben6899
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

NO!!!!

Understood.

Does that mean I have genius intellect. I usually manage to make my chicken into an unhealthy meal.

Although I suppose technically I'm only following the instructions on the jar so not really using my intellect.

I need to understand this chicken-in-a-jar carry-on before I can comment. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • rick_chasey
    SimonAH wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

No, that's not it. Ed's was a kitshy 50's diner with barstools, SS counter surrounding the cook area and little jukeboxes with the likes of the big bopper that played for a 5p coin.

Ah, they still exist, just not on the King's road any more; http://edseasydiner.com/

Looks like some burger.
  • suzyb
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

NO!!!!

Understood.

Not much to understand.

1. Cut chicken into pieces and fry
    2. Pour in sauce and simmer for several minutes
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Not much to understand.

I feel like Chicken Tonight.
  • Ben6899
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

NO!!!!

Understood.

Not much to understand.

Ah right, I understand now. I was a bit slow on the uptake! Sat here thinking: "Chicken? In a jar? WT..."
    Ben

• suzyb
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

NO!!!!

Understood.

Not much to understand.

Ah right, I understand now. I was a bit slow on the uptake! Sat here thinking: "Chicken? In a jar? WT..."
    I thought you were being sarcastic tbh
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    andyb78 wrote:
    +1 for Nana Mexico. Cracking food - their burritos are a thing of wonder after a couple of pints. Beats any of the usual suspects hands down. Also a fan of KFC from time to time, despite the fact that *everything* is fried...

Anyone Cantab based remember the legend that is Gardinia's?

Remember? What, Gardie's isn't there anymore?

WTF?!?!

serious rage problem in this thread

Fear not Rick, I only used remember as I've not been there for a long time... thinkg it's still going strong going by the amount of detritus I encounter sometmes on the way to work!!
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • rick_chasey
    andyb78 wrote:
    andyb78 wrote:
    +1 for Nana Mexico. Cracking food - their burritos are a thing of wonder after a couple of pints. Beats any of the usual suspects hands down. Also a fan of KFC from time to time, despite the fact that *everything* is fried...

Anyone Cantab based remember the legend that is Gardinia's?

Remember? What, Gardie's isn't there anymore?

WTF?!?!

serious rage problem in this thread

Fear not Rick, I only used remember as I've not been there for a long time... thinkg it's still going strong going by the amount of detritus I encounter sometmes on the way to work!!

Phew.

The amount of times I've been on that wall...
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's slightly shameful of me to admit this, but I really miss the Wimpys Spicy Bean Burgers. If I ever go anywhere and spot a Wimpys I will always drop in and get one.

(also reminds me of the Burger Wars plot line in Judge Dredd for those that are old / geeky enough to remember)

My Tuesday nights as a student (Student night at the local nightclub) were always fed by a Wimpy take out place opposite the last pub we called at... ahhh.... memories.

Addendum: Holy heck - there's one less than 5 miles from my house. Result!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Derby Grill on Friar Gate still knocking around, they do/did a pizza called the meat fix (had donner meat on it and everything). Yum!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Derby Grill on Friar Gate still knocking around, they do/did a pizza called the meat fix (had donner meat on it and everything). Yum!

I know where you mean, but that stretch has changed so damn much recently...

Oh, yep - still there:
    Meat Feast
    Doner Meat, Ham, Pepperoni & Chicken
    Small
    £5.90
    Large

or:

Kurdish Pizza
    Chilii Sauce, Doner Meat, Chicken, Peppers, Mushrooms & Onions
    Small
    £5.50
    Large
    £7.50

http://www.fillmybelly.com/derbygrill
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    On my one and only night out in Derby (which was surprisingly good...) I ended up in the Derby Grill.

Wasnt needed as I'd been to Anouki (sp?) the night before and was still full.
  • Do not understand Subway, too much choice and very little "Eat Fresh" should be had up for trade descriptions. I went to try it once and walked out at the choose bread stage... The less than fresh looking ingredients put me off.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Chicken in a can, anyone?

chicken-in-a-can-110763.jpg

Looks better than KFC ;)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rule number one. Never, ever eat anywhere where there are backlit pictures of the food above and behind the serving staff. It's a guarantee of grimness.

Now I did recently have my first drunken kebab in about 20 years and it was excellent (obviously, that is because I was drunk). But I would go to a kebab shop if drunk. On the other hand, I have learned my lesson about KFC (comes in a bucket for a very good reason) and no amount of alcohol would make me return for more mechanically recovered, deep fried chickens testicles.

As for Mc Donalds. I would, and have, gone hungry rather than eat there. I used to go to McDonalds when at school and I have no idea why as the burgers don't even taste like burgers. As for that stuff they call cheese - why would anyone voluntarily pay extra to have yellow sheets of scary plastic added to the top of their rendered mashed up cattle product in a soggy limp bun? I am at a loss as to how that concern manages to sell anything at all. Genius really - if they sold turd burgers people would probably still buy them and claim they tasted nice :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,586
    Sajaan , Wilmslow Rd, Rusholme, Manchester.

Large Chicken Tikka kebab on naan with salad, mango chutney, yoghurt, chilli and chilli sauce.

Best kebab shop on the Curry Mile... And bloody cheap... And surprisingly healthy.

Yum yum.
  • Ben6899
    I'm staggered by the Mac D, KFC and Burger King response... I imagined a forum full of cyclists to be a haven for folk who watch their health. :)

If you ticked any of those three, then you've given up the right to be all "Never touch a drop" every time there's an alcohol thread. :D
    Ben

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Oban fish and chip shop

Followed by The Cabin Fish and Chip shop in Mallaig

Frying in beef dripping and very fresh fish.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    jamesco wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Chicken in a can, anyone?

chicken-in-a-can-110763.jpg

Looks better than KFC ;)

FFS! Where was the NSFW warning????