UKs best fast food restaurant

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
We all like to eat well but there are times when a kebab or a 'fat' burger is the only thing that will do. Now I'd argue that in the UK there aren't that many proper fast food (McDonalds fast) options out there. So when faced with the fast food hunger what is your prefered choice?

By fast food I mean ordered and served your cooked food in under 5 mins.

What's your favourite?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I have been advised never to rush someone cooking your food. Seems good advice to me.

When I do go against that advice, I go Kentucky Fried Chicken (I'm old skool). I do like a good kebab too. Always shish, never doner.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Stenson Fish Bar in Derby

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Stenson+Fis ... yinfo.html

every day there is a queue going out the door - seriously, seriously great chips out of that place.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Maccy-Dees.

2 double cheese-burgers, Extra-large fries, Vanilla milk-shake... preferably eaten on the last train home while absolutely out of my face... eating like a pig into some poor soul's face who is aghast as the gelatinous filth is rammed into my squelching maw.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Whoever voted Burger King

50276_170159466343650_4083946_n.jpg
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    either kervan kebab shop in edmonton or durum in finchley central.

proper ocakbasi takeaways!
  • The only fast food I eat is Kentucky, it's only now and then but I love it.

I'd like to ride for a KFC pro team, probably have to wear an 8 piece bucket instead of an aero helmet though.
  • Subway is okay, But the burger chips fast food is dreadful I struggle to see why some one would want to eat that stuff.

I'll have a bacon roll and a coffee at Pen Ponds in Richmound Park, But mostly just have a coffee somewhere.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Not my local but I reckon 'The Real Food Shop' in Tyndrum takes some beating
  • DonDaddyD
    Shalimar in Clapham and Merton Kebab just of Merton road, Wimbledon.

My ideal fast food restaurant would serve me McDonalds fries, Burger King Whopper with Big Mac sauce and root beer!

Mmmmmm
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Shalimar in Clapham and Merton Kebab just of Merton road, Wimbledon.

My ideal fast food restaurant would serve me McDonalds fries, Burger King Whopper with Big Mac sauce and root beer!

Mmmmmm

McDoddles fries?! Yuk!

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
  • Stenson Fish Bar in Derby

http://www.thomsonlocal.com/Stenson+Fis ... yinfo.html

every day there is a queue going out the door - seriously, seriously great chips out of that place.

+1 for Stenson!

For me MD is king, closely followed by the finger-lickin chicken from the Colonel.
    Large Big Mac meal with a cheeseburger on the side usually satisfies me. :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    falafels are amazing takeaway food (and I'm a serious carnivore) Sushi is great but tend to go for a proper meal as I don't have the urge on a whim

never been to a subway, avoid Mcd's, buggerking and kfc like the plague
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rick_chasey
    Seriously, if you are ever in Cambridge, or, heaven forbid, work or live there, you have to go to nana mexico.

It's amaaazing.
  • clarkey cat
    the van of life... the van of death...
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Whoever voted Burger King

50276_170159466343650_4083946_n.jpg

:lol: BK trumps Maccas every day, not that I eat such sh*te so often! every other day maybe...
  • rick_chasey
    Also, who the f*ck voted for Chicken Cottage??!?!

CHICKEN. COTTAGE.

ARE YOU MAD?!?!
  • DonDaddyD
    I did, Chicken Cottage is AMAZING. £2 2 piece chicken and chips. If I'm in my car, only fried chicken will do and I can't get to Shalimar in a reasonable amount of time then Chicken cottage is my next option.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    At work, anything from White Cross Street [/foodsnob]. At home, the local chippy is pretty good - Moon House IIRC.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    At work, anything from White Cross Street [/foodsnob]. At home, the local chippy is pretty good - Moon House IIRC.

Burritos from the green van?
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    +1 for Nana Mexico. Cracking food - their burritos are a thing of wonder after a couple of pints. Beats any of the usual suspects hands down. Also a fan of KFC from time to time, despite the fact that *everything* is fried...

Anyone Cantab based remember the legend that is Gardinia's?
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • rick_chasey
    andyb78 wrote:
    +1 for Nana Mexico. Cracking food - their burritos are a thing of wonder after a couple of pints. Beats any of the usual suspects hands down. Also a fan of KFC from time to time, despite the fact that *everything* is fried...

Anyone Cantab based remember the legend that is Gardinia's?

Remember? What, Gardie's isn't there anymore?

WTF?!?!

serious rage problem in this thread
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I did, Chicken Cottage is AMAZING. £2 2 piece chicken and chips. If I'm in my car, only fried chicken will do and I can't get to Shalimar in a reasonable amount of time then Chicken cottage is my next option.

Chicken Cottage is never an option.

• clarkey cat
    The King of Falafel on Leather Lane is great.

Weird set-up in there though...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    rjsterry wrote:

Haven't tried that yet. Usually go for a hog roast bap with all the bits, and a crumble tart from the french bakery stall, followed by a snooze.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    In all honest, despite lazily voting for BK, Pilpel is the best 'fast food' I've had in ages. I'm not sure it qualifies, it all seemed rather healthy!

http://www.pilpel.co.uk/
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Out of the chain fast food outlets then it has to be Subway. Italian BMT on hearty Italian bread. Cheese (not grilled), hold the cucumber, jalapeneos, olives and a bit of mayo. Nom nom.

Only issue is sizing. A footlong is bloatatious and a six inch just don't do it. Campaign for a nine inch option!

For non-chain then I propose Valentines cafe (built into Cwmbran station) for a mouthwatering lebanese lamb wrap (£3.50 and weighs about a kilo) or for a good old fashioned breakfast roll heaving with cholestorol then Lizzies van is a must.

For the burger chains (I do too much motorway travel) BK is far better than McD (except for breakfast) but both are really a last resort. What happened to Wendy's?

If, on the other hand, I can arrange to be heading back from England to Wales around lunch time then I make a point of taking the A40 from the M5 (as it avoids the bridge tolls, but mostly..) because it goes through the village of Huntley on the way toward Ross on Wye, wherein lies the Red Lion. Exquisite food, served fast and Doombar on tap. Unbloody beatable. Local sausage and mash with seasonal vegetables served in a creamy light sauce in front of a roaring log fire with a fine pint for south of £8.50 - ultimate comfort food.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Haven't tried that yet. Usually go for a hog roast bap with all the bits, and a crumble tart from the french bakery stall, followed by a snooze.

Mmm, dangerous game that, big lunch at work.

The chicken escalope ciabatta with everything (that'll be cheese, tabasco, mayo, 'salad') from Pavarotti's (Pav for short) is something to be savoured
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Does Nando's count as fast food?