So come on then ... How light is your mountain bike?

Comments

• Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Thought these kind of posts only belonged in roadie sections "who cares is my reply"
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    i can see whats appealling from a cube bike. i like the black stealh look. am considering getting one aswell.

What was your reason for getting a anolog instead of LTD or reaction ?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    @cubecrazy

Bolts: Full Frame & Caliper Pro Bolt 7075 Alloy Bolt Kit (Red)

^

Please tell me you haven't replaced your caliper bolts with 7075 alloy bolts. :shock:
  • The Orange is 31lbs, the intense, in it's lightest spec it'll be around 35lbs.

The GT? Well, let's just say it's more than twice some of the bikes on here...
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Inbred is 10.8kg, 456 is 13.7kg. Could get the inbred under 10 easily with lighter wheels run tubeless but can't be bothered and the 456 could go carbon and air, but it goes down 80ft quarry walls no fuss, so I'm not changing that either.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Pearoast deleted.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I've lost over a kg (inc adding on pedals) on my Spark 60, so it now weighs about 28lb. This was achieved by a lighter seat (I couldn't understand or stomach a white OE seat!), X0 Short Cage rear mech & X0 Grip Shifts & u/graded Rock Shock Reba, which is where most of the weight saving came from. About £150 in all as the forks were replaced under warranty.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Weight isn't everything for me
    When it comes to beer belly yes, but less beers and food are the solution to that, not carbon and lycra.

Otherwise, doesn't make a difference. Had stupidly heavy, and lighter bikes, but the main thing that makes any difference is loosing weight myself and getting more frequent exercise. The bike is just the horse to ride on.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My 22lb Zaskar is effortless to ride compared to any 30lb hardtail I have ridden. The difference is very noticable!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    supersonic wrote:
    My 22lb Zaskar is effortless to ride compared to any 30lb hardtail I have ridden. The difference is very noticable!

for once i agree with sonic :lol: weight loss is indeed noticable, something as simple as changing tyres can make a huge difference...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends what you ride and care about. If climbing is your thing, get the scales out. Otherwise, caution to the wind and let weight blast through everything :P
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    13.00kg currently for the bouncer, i dont do old money so whatever that is in pounds (lbs).

i think my old hardtail was actually slight heavier, about 13.4kg.

but that has the heaviest wheelset ever. never went out of true though!!
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • Edison (as it was before getting stripped down) was - 28lbs
    Karma Beach Bike / Rigid is - 22lbs - it was only £600 though.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Pufftmw wrote:
    I've lost over a kg (inc adding on pedals) on my Spark 60, so it now weighs about 28lb. This was achieved by a lighter seat (I couldn't understand or stomach a white OE seat!)

I know what you mean, I had the same saddle on mine. Shocking!

I don't know how much lighter mine is but it definitely is lighter. The biggest difference coming from the tyres.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    My 456 weighs about the same as double decker bus (including passengers).
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Mondraker Dune R 2010

36pounds, because it's a mans bike. In my experience all FS bikes i've reidden under 30 pounds in weight have always flexed like a king and are hateful to descend on, Weight is definately the holy of the off road world.

Most people I've met who are weight obsessed have virtually been roadies in terms of what they ride, or have been misled thats its super important that a bike is light by the previous group. Weight does make a difference but you have to veiw within reference to what/how you ride.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Most people I've met who are weight obsessed have virtually been roadies in terms of what they ride, or have been misled thats its super important that a bike is light by the previous group. Weight does make a difference but you have to veiw within reference to what/how you ride.
    very true

Hard to find a lightweight bike that descends properly
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    .blitz wrote:
    very true

Hard to find a lightweight bike that descends properly
    I was over Chicksands yesterday, One of the guys i was with (friend of a friend) had a Norco DH thingy and by god it was heavy, i never really spent any time with real full on DH types. How he got it off the floor (and he did, very well) is an amazement! i recon it must weigh at least 3 times my bike!

My Full Suspension 29er came in at just under 12kg and when the new frame gets here, if the figures are genuine i should shave anoth half a kilo off of that! in old money that will be 26lb down to 25.3lb
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    Bumboy... very unliekly it weighs that much most Dh bikes i've seen played with so on are around 40-42pounds, and the pro bikes weigh about 36 which is the same as mine :)

Getting a bike in the air weight has little to do with it, its all about pace and tradjectory :p
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    My Orange is about 27lbs and the Kona about 35lbs - the Santa Cruz is a work in progress, and has been justified by saying it'll be lighter than the Orange but in reality it'll probably be about the same :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • VWsurfbum
    Bumboy... very unliekly it weighs that much most Dh bikes i've seen played with so on are around 40-42pounds, and the pro bikes weigh about 36 which is the same as mine :)

Getting a bike in the air weight has little to do with it, its all about pace and tradjectory :p
    I was being facetious. :lol: It did weigh a bloody ton though, i was just surprised how different our two worlds are in the same sport.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    VWsurfbum wrote:

I was being facetious. :lol: It did weigh a bloody ton though, i was just surprised how different our two worlds are in the same sport.

it's a definate devide in thinking, funny part i've found is either side thinks its the most numerous lol
  • VWsurfbum
    yep there's definatly more of XC types :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    My bottom, most people who think there xc types get nackered after 15k hehe :p

I know more people who pedal up, but prefer to go down and DH uplift in there spare time, check the welsh rides thread for my point, hlaf there time is spent on DH tracks :) So definately more Dh boys hehe :p
  • VWsurfbum
    dont get me wrong, i prefer going down to going up, but i can certainly manage more than 15k :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Thewaylander
    I knows you can mate :p

but alot can't hehe :p you know its true hehe
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If heavy bikes and stiffness is key, why not have a 50lb monster with steel parts?! ;-)

Thing is, and I am the same, you have probably gone for the 'sensibly light, still tough for intended use' mantra. I ride XC mainly, and value a light, agile bike but with a long reach and won't break. You couldn't really say any parts on my bike are flexy or weak. But it is light!
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Light enough so my arse doesn't fall out on climbs, but heavy enough to not break when I crash into stuff. Currently a lot heavier than usual due to super tacky minion up front and swapped the air revs for a cheapo set of domain coil u-turns for the winter. The change in forks & tyre alone add 2lbs.

But on the other hand I've put on about 8lbs over Christmas, so whats the point in worrying.
  • Bighead
    Bighead Posts: 260
    scottscaleltd125weight.jpg

I'm not overly fussed about weight although I have weighed my bike at about 19.5 lbs.

Quite pleased with that given that its got proper tyres, 3x9 gears, 180/160 brakes etc.

Got a new cassette going on it which will save about 50 grams and might get a lighter frame later in the year.