So come on then ... How light is your mountain bike?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Morning folks :D

Right I have a question, I have been trying to reduce the weight of my bike since I got it and I want to get it as light as possible, already the difference I have made is shocking and it feels like a new bike, but I wondered how light some of your bikes are ?

My current bike is my second bike but my first was a 2009 Focus Raven (Carbon) and that tipped the scales at just 11.1kg and felt very light.

The bike I have now, 2011 Cube Analog Disc started off at 13.5kg but I have just weighed it and it now comes in at a true fighting weight of ...

1st 10.6lbs ... or ... 24.6lbs ... or 11.1kg :D

Also any suggestions for removing weight further ? from what I have read I need a lighter wheelset, bottom bracket, cassette, anywhere else to save weight ? apart from me own lard :lol:

Comments

• Anonymous
    You want this site:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

And lycra. Lots of lycra.

:P

FWIW - 26lbs on the hard tail and 30lbs on the full sus. Makes crap all difference to me apart from the hard tail is light to get in and out of the car. As long as they go down gnarly hills and don't break that's all that really matters.
  • Anonymous
    Lycra .. sod that :lol:

Just curious really as to what other peoples bike are that I see at the local trails and what people are getting down to.

I am gonna be using my bike for fitness and lard loss and I time myself round the local trails, just wanna be as flowing and efficient as I can from trail to trail 8)
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Heavier bike are better for shifting lard and you don't have suspension. Most people think the extra kilo for the front is worth it.
  • Anonymous
    Oh, and have realised the one main heavy component on the hard tail, being carbon frame and bits, is the wheels. They add loads of weight. Thought about reducing that with lighter but tubeless ready rims and get tubeless with light tyres. But then I thought I can't be bothered.

Got tubeless rims on the full sus but tubes in them. I could go tubeless but that adds its own hassles and for AM stuff with a touch of downhill the tyres need to be the heavier kind probably so for weight it's probably no different.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Not very, is my answer!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I can pick mine up by bending from the knees and bending from the back... So it must be pretty light.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    See the topics in " Your Mountain Bikes" area.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    both mine weigh around 25-26lbs, HT and FS, although the HT, in whatever form it becomes in the next few weeks, will drop down to about 23lbs, both have 150mm forks and will be 1 x 10
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    At the end of this thread there will be a prize for most obvious lie.

Not really sure how much mine are just now, the C456 is normally just under 25lbs but it has heavier tyres and a load of mudguards on so probably a bit over 26lbs. Haven't weighed the Hemlock since the Van RC went in, it's too painful :( Commuter is 32lbs of ancient iron and bargain basement Shimano. And I think the downhill bike comes in at a fairly ridiculous 37lbs, though the new cranks will raise that back up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    25lb 120mm travel cube sting
    26lb orange clockwork
    25lb khs montana pro
    21lb marin team titanium
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't know, don't care but light enough for HT riders to say bloody hell that's light when they are banging on about the benefits of HTs.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Weight isn't everything for me

2011 Giant Reign X2 30.5lb
    On One Summer Season with domains & DH wheels 36lb
    2007 Giant Glory 48lb
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Morning folks :D

Right I have a question, I have been trying to reduce the weight of my bike since I got it and I want to get it as light as possible, already the difference I have made is shocking and it feels like a new bike, but I wondered how light some of your bikes are ?

My current bike is my second bike but my first was a 2009 Focus Raven (Carbon) and that tipped the scales at just 11.1kg and felt very light.

The bike I have now, 2011 Cube Analog Disc started off at 13.5kg but I have just weighed it and it now comes in at a true fighting weight of ...

1st 10.6lbs ... or ... 24.6lbs ... or 11.1kg :D

Also any suggestions for removing weight further ? from what I have read I need a lighter wheelset, bottom bracket, cassette, anywhere else to save weight ? apart from me own lard :lol:

What have you done to your cube bike to reduce its weight and how much have you spent ?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Heavier than I would like it to be when I am lifting it over a gate or wall.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • 39lbs, pretty burly though
  • Anonymous
    vim147 wrote:
    What have you done to your cube bike to reduce its weight and how much have you spent ?

Er... well bike was 550 then I spent loads on bling :lol: prob over the 1200 quid mark with it now, but the weight savings have come from light-weight coloured alloy bolts all over the bike, must have saved 500g easy ! the metal ones are so heavy, then chainring bolts, 1 standard one was heavier than all 4 Mowa ones, titanium skewers and finally the carbon forks, that lil lot took 2.5kg off the bike, am really pleased with it, did 20 miles on it today, some road, some XC, the hills now are so much easier and i'm faster everywhere 8)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Er... well bike was 550 then I spent loads on bling :lol: prob over the 1200 quid mark with it now, but the weight savings have come from light-weight coloured alloy bolts all over the bike, must have saved 500g easy ! the metal ones are so heavy, then chainring bolts, 1 standard one was heavier than all 4 Mowa ones, titanium skewers and finally the carbon forks, that lil lot took 2.5kg off the bike, am really pleased with it, did 20 miles on it today, some road, some XC, the hills now are so much easier and i'm faster everywhere 8)
    how much does it weigh when its covered in mud, or dont weight weenies ride anywhere that it might get dirty :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Anonymous
    I carry wet wipes to wipe it down if I get any mud on it :lol::lol:

I aint a weight weeny, ya should have seen it today, .... if only me missus was that filthy, took me over an hour to clean it :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    500 grams on bolts? Are you sure? They may look pretty but it's form over function for quite a few of them.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    I carry wet wipes to wipe it down if I get any mud on it :lol::lol:

I aint a weight weeny, ya should have seen it today, .... if only me missus was that filthy, took me over an hour to clean it :roll:
    fair play to you :lol: , thats something i have to do every time i go out on the canyon, get a few strange looks from the neighbours when i'm scrubbing the tyres, bet hey, it lives in the house, and the mrs wouldn't be too happy if i trailed crap through everywhere :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    Wouldnt it been better buying a better bike like a boardman with weight savinga already on it and saving yourself the money on upgrades or was there a specific reason you wanting the cube ?
  • Chunkers1980
    He's Cube Crazy and he's lived up to his name, he's got a worse bike than if he'd spent the lot on off the shelf... But it his dosh to do as he likes.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cooldad wrote:
    Don't know, don't care but light enough for HT riders to say bloody hell that's light when they are banging on about the benefits of HTs.
    Haha, yes! One of the lads i was riding with today was on a short travel hardtail and was surprised how light my bike is, for how burly the build is!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    The boardmans look a bit bland to me and I wanted something more snazzy, I did look at more expensive models but I wanted something I could modify and call it my own, I wanted to create something unique and add the components that I wanted and not be stuck with what comes on a more expensive bike.

I just love the look of the Cubes, red n black, white and blue, if it hadnt of been this it would have been a carbon Scott :D

I wouldnt swap this for any boardman out there to be honest.
  • lawman
    24lbs for a rigid hardtail is hardly light by any stretch of the imagination, check the weightweenies sight, theres some stupid light stuff on there!!
  • Anonymous
    Mines a work in progress, if I get to 10kg that would be me done, not looking to have the lightest ever bike, just wondered what folks bikes was nowadays with the latest carbon offerings etc.
  • lawman
    CubeCrazy wrote:
    Mines a work in progress, if I get to 10kg that would be me done, not looking to have the lightest ever bike, just wondered what folks bikes was nowadays with the latest carbon offerings etc.

doesnt have to be carbon to be light, a mates scandium rocky mountain team vertex was under 20lbs and didnt have a single drop of carbon on it, by comparison my carbon mojo HD weighs 25.9lbs with a fairly tough build... depends on what you buy not just the material...
  • Wait, did I read you correctly, you say you got a weight savings of 2.5kg from switch to rigid forks?
    And if you are so worried about weight, why did you spend so much on bolts and not switch the wheelset out for a superlight set?
  • Chunkers1980
    Yeah - cube crazy hey? He could have had a 1.5 kg set of wheels which would have actually made it better, rather than just red.