Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge 2012

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
(Edited by admin, as this issue is pertinent to this thread)

We understand the Royal Parks and the police are receiving an increasing number of complaints about inconsiderate cyclists in Richmond Park. Pedestrians for whom cyclists will not stop, and motorists who are overtaken in “close call” situations complain about how reckless cyclists can sometimes be. We're not accusing anyone here of doing so, but please be mindful of this when you are attempting a fast lap. If you encounter traffic or pedestrians/deer near to the road, do not take risks. Abort and if necessary start again or visit when there is less traffic. The last thing we want to see is traffic calming measures introduced into the park. Thank you for your understanding.

Back to the original post:

Here we go then... I went up today for the first time since before Christmas and thought we need to get this rolling, there were a good amount of riders out today so hopefully some may be users here and will post some times out! I was trying out my new Garmin Edge 500, by the looks of things it was weighing me down!! :lol:

Continuing from RedGreenBaron's 2011 post.

More than 100 took part in 2011 (viewtopic.php?f=40007&t=12749276&start=320).

Guidelines:
1. 3 continuous laps of RP, anti- or clock-wise (or a mixture), with the general view that anti is easier/safer.
2. Start, rolling or standing, where you like and finish at the same place.
3. KEEP IT SAFE. Squeezing through that gap might make all the difference in beating your PB, but far better you live to fight another day and improve even more. In the red mist of the 3rd lap it is VERY easy to forget this and indeed to annoy the hell out of other RP users. To this end, attempts are best made very early at the weekend, mid-morning/mid-afternoon during the week and just before dusk.
4. Given '3' above, feel free to comment on the traffic, suicidal deer or even the horrendous westerly. The reader can adjust his/her impression of the time and it might dissuade you from roundabout madness.
5. Most of us try to avoid drafting. You might not be able to help it in traffic, but you'll be losing more from the traffic than you're gaining anyway.
6. In the entry feel free to mention : your bike (TT/shopper etc), your weight (seems to be a tradition) and even your 'type of rider' (sportive, racer, audax, tri) - it's becoming a tradition to add your power data here also/instead; and, in the text, perhaps your aim for the year .
7. Please add your post to the previous list, and try to make sure you use the most recent list, so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, emboldened for easy viewing.

Here's a starter
Name......................Dir...........Wt........Time.........Mnth......TOR
Islwyn......................anti........87kg.......62:07.........Jan........Sportive/Com

And one more thing, don't be surprised if, on trying to record your first time since last August, that you are several minutes slower. In addition to whatever's happened to your training over the last few months, it seems air density (higher at colder temperatures) can make as much as 2 minutes difference (thanks TarmacExpert).

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Islwyn....................anti........87kg.......62:07.........Jan........Sportive/Com
    Ip........................anti........73kg.......61:08.........Jan........Sportive/Com

• Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Ip..........................anti........73kg.......61:08.........Jan........Sportive/Com
    Islwyn.....................anti........87kg.......62:07.........Jan........Sportive/Com
    Rushie.....................anti.........80kg.......66.57........Jan.......Marmotte/Comm

Christ on a bike, that was my slowest time ever. Still, let's be positive - the only way is up from here (holds head in hands).
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Ip........................anti........73kg.......61:08.........Jan........Sportive/Com
    Islwyn....................anti........87kg.......62:07.........Jan........Sportive/Com
    Rushie....................anti........80kg.......66.57.........Jan........Marmotte/Comm

FTFY
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Name.......................Dir..........Wt........Time........Mnth........TOR 
    Dhope.....................anti........75kg.......63.06.........Jan........SCR
    Rushie....................anti........80kg.......66.57.........Jan........Marmotte/Com

First attempt at 3RP, got there about 11am so maybe earlier will give a sub 1hr
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Hope I'm doing this right. First time on the forum.

Having commuted for 3 yrs I got a road bike and started doing laps of the park last Nov. Think this was my tenth attempt to do three in an hour. Still can't quite believe my computer that it was dead on the hour, but ... it was.

I got a puncture and had to restart, so a heartfelt thank you to the many people who checked I was ok, particularly London Dynamos riders. You lot give cycling a good name.

Name.....................Dir..........Wt........Time........Mnth........TOR
    Blackpooltower.........anti........83kg.......60.00.........Jan........Commuter
    Rushie....................anti........80kg.......66.57.........Jan........Marmotte/Com
  • Name.......................Dir..........Wt........Time........Mnth........TOR 
    turnstyle.................anti........85kg.......61.48.........Jan........Com

Traffic was a nightmare but there was no wind at all.
  • islwyn
    Name.......................Dir..........Wt........Time........Mnth........TOR 

Fixed.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Poor Blackpooltower had been left out...
    Name......................Dir.........Wt.........Time..........Mnth.......TOR
    Blackpooltower............anti........83kg.......60.00.........Jan........Commuter

FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • dhope
    Hope I'm doing this right. First time on the forum.

Having commuted for 3 yrs I got a road bike and started doing laps of the park last Nov. Think this was my tenth attempt to do three in an hour. Still can't quite believe my computer that it was dead on the hour, but ... it was.

I got a puncture and had to restart, so a heartfelt thank you to the many people who checked I was ok, particularly London Dynamos riders. You lot give cycling a good name.

Name.....................Dir..........Wt........Time........Mnth........TOR
    Blackpooltower.........anti........83kg.......60.00.........Jan........Commuter
    An hour dead on I can believe. London Dynamos giving cycling a good name?
    Shome mishtake, shurely :roll: :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • islwyn
    Went through the park today on a long ride and saw plenty of people about... Come on guys, lets get some more times on here!
  • First attempt of the year. A couple of hold ups because of traffic—had a trip down Broomfield hill stuck behind cars. A lot of Police too. But a nice run around overall. About 3 and half minutes behind the last time I did this in July time last year.

Room for improvement :lol:
    Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR
    leejdavies...........anti......82kg.....58:18......Jan........Sportive/com
    Blackpooltower.......anti......83kg.....60.00......Jan........Commuter
    Ip...................anti......73kg.....61:08......Jan........Sportive/Com
    turnstyle............anti......85kg.....61.48......Jan........Com
    Islwyn...............anti......87kg.....62:07......Jan........Sportive/Com
    Dhope................anti......75kg.....63.06......Jan........SCR
    Rushie...............anti......80kg.....66.57......Jan........Marmotte/Com

Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Nice morning out today, still for once. I'm never a speed merchant (but I can keep going all day long ladies!), but that was 9 minutes off my fastest ever - so I've got a lot of room for improvement.
    Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR
        marcusjb............anti......60kg.....71:06......Jan.........Slow audaxer!

• Thinking of popping down early tomorrow morning but with -4C overnight temps i'm a little worried on the downhill descents. Does it generally get icy in there ? is it salted etc ?
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    It is salted and with the dew point well below the current temp it should remain completely dry. So it's likely to be okay tomorrow. However it does often get icy even when roads outside the park aren't so I wouldn't always rely on it. However with the weather now, it should be fine. Sunday a different matter.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR.............Other
    Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat.......270w/284wNP

Starting/stopping at the road sign at the top of Dark Hill:
    18:41 - 288w/299w NP
    19:19 - 264w/279w NP
    19:38 - 258w/274w NP (dropped chain on Dark Hill as I was finishing :roll: )
    57:38 / 270w/284w NP / 92% MHR.

First 3LC since August; That was a lovely warm Summers evening. Today had a horrible NE chilly wind which seemed variable and snow lined the grassy verges. It was terribly paced. A few hold ups on the roundabouts, especially Richmond gate each lap. That said, this time last year I wad 3kg lighter and did 63:16, so should be happy really.
  •     Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR.............Other
        Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat....270w/284wNP
        leejdavies..........anti......82kg.....58:18......Jan........Sportive/com
        Blackpooltower....anti......83kg.....60.00......Jan........Commuter
        Ip.....................anti......73kg.....61:08......Jan........Sportive/Com
        JimboPlob..........anti......69kg.....61:36......Feb........Just Riding
        Islwyn................anti......87kg.....62:07......Jan........Sportive/Com
        Dhope...............anti......75kg.....63.06......Jan........SCR

Laps

AP/NP Time
    265/270 20:37
    259/263 20:19
    255/261 20:40

total
    61:36

Cold (-2), not really going for it, few hold ups.
  • islwyn
    Good work guys, lets keep this up!
  • Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR.............Other
    Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat.........270w/284wNP
    JimboPlob............anti......69kg.....61:36......Feb........Just Riding
    marcusjb.............anti......60kg.....71:06......Jan........Slow audaxer!
    velo-city............c/wise....83kg.....75:43......Feb........Tourer

This is my first post, and I know it's at the bottom, but it was a big achievement for me!

After keeping an eye on this forum for a year or two, I never thought I'd even get under 90 minutes on my road bike, and kept thinking maybe I needed an even lighter bike. Then pretty much retired the road bike for a year or two as I really got into touring.

As it turned out, practicing 3-laps on the semi-loaded tourer worked out a far better training regime. I got the Bianchi out of retirement today, and gave it a go having done 89 minutes on the tourer. This is the result!

Start/End Richmond Gate roundabout. Light breeze. A couple of stops - one because a tenner flew out of my jacket when I tried to grab a snack bar, so had to turn round and go get it, the other because the sun was coming out more and more, and I was overdressed and got so hot I needed some layer adjustment at the top of the hill.

Was generally a bit all-over-the-place on the bike, as it felt totally alien after more than a thousand miles on the tourer - to the point I could hardly hold it steady when trying to grab the water bottle, and crept carefully around roundabouts. The saddle felt like a knife too!

It's quite nice going clockwise. As fewer people do it you get overtaken less, and also you get to see some faces!

Looking forward to trying again in the future after a few more weeks struggling round with a pannier...

I still just can't believe how any of you guys manage sub 60 minutes or even close to that time. It seems impossible, but I hope to get to it one day!
  • Hey guys, new here.

Cycling through Richmond park is part of my commute, I've managed to do a few 3 laps round, my fastest lap ever being 21:04. I'm taking part in a few sportives this year and plan to do more laps regularly and hope to improve on that.

Anyone going to Evan's sportive this weeked from Esher? I'll be there Sunday.
  • Rushie
    Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR.............Other
    Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat.........270w/284wNP
    Rushie...............anti......78kg.....63.12......Mar........Marmotte/Com

Not enough to put me up the table but going in the right direction in terms of time. More to come.
  • turnstyle
    turnstyle Posts: 63
    turnstyle............anti......85kg.....60.33......Mar........Com

Went out for 6 laps today so took it easy. Got a shock when my first 3 were just over 60. Shame, I really want to finally do a sub 60. Last 3 were 61!
  • islwyn

Good to see people are getting out and about, lets keep on top of this... I've only done it once so far this year so I need a good kick up the arse too.
  • Rushie
    Really sorry about this Dhope, but...
    Rushie...............anti......78kg.....63.05......Mar........Marmotte/Com

Improvements not coming as quickly as I'd have liked but I guess there are no quick fixes - just need to keep plugging away...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR...........Other
    cyclingprop..........clock.....118kg....73.08......Mar........SCR
    Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat.......270w/284wNP

Looks like I have some work to do
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    CJ...................anti......78kg.....62:13......Mar.......Sportive/Com
    cyclingprop..........clock.....118kg....73.08......Mar........SCR

Part of a nice, steady five laps with JonGinge. This was the time for laps 3-5. Lovely morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Any tips for dealing with the bright lights at night?
    Last night there were a couple of people with massive beams directed everywhere. To the point that I couldn't see anything.

Will give the 3 laps a go when I get the good bike down there next. Just commuting/training at the moment.
    exercise.png
  • dhope
    Dhope................anti......75kg.....58:45......Mar........SCR
    Blackpooltower.......anti......83kg.....60:00......Jan........Commuter
    turnstyle............anti......85kg.....60:33......Mar........Com
    CJ...................anti......78kg.....62:13......Mar........Sportive/Com
    Rushie...............anti......78kg.....63:05......Mar........Marmotte/Com
    cyclingprop..........clock.....118kg....73:08......Mar........SCR

5mins shaved off my last/best/only attempt. Happy.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Rushie
    dhope wrote:
    Rushie...............anti......77kg.....60:48......Mar........Marmotte/Com

A 2 min improvement for me which I was kinda happy with until I saw DHope (who I was previously faster than by 1 sec) giving my time a good shoeing! The magic hour in sight though now.
  • Name.................Dir.......Wt.......Time.......Mnth.......TOR.............Other
    TarmacExpert.........anti......70kg.....48:34......Mar........TTer........AP314W.NP323W
    Furrag...............anti......71kg.....57:38......Feb........3rd cat.....270w/284wNP
    Rushie...............anti......77kg.....60:48......Mar........Marmotte/Com

Clocks having gone forward and an easterly was too good to resist. Was on a TT bike, but training wheels/tyres and taped road helmet rather than aero helmet. A few holdups otherwise might have been around 48 mins, but wasn't too bad on the whole.
  • Petromyzon
    Petromyzon Posts: 221
    Very very fast Steve:) How close is that to PB power? Are you doing anything different training wise, or do you think you are making chronic, year on year gains w/same sort of regime?