Beastway series

C0LL0
C0LL0 Posts: 271
edited July 2012 in XC and Enduro
Does anyone know what is happening in 2012 about the beastway races at Hogg hill (redbrige cycle centre), the beastway website is not working and they are not listed on the events list at the cycle centre either??????

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    from memory from one of last years newsletters, i think the guy who runs it is involved with the Olympic BMX track and roadie stuff?
    I could be way off the mark but i think it may be postponed?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    You may be right there VW, If I remeber rightly, one of the guys was the clerk of the course at the Olympic MTB test race last year.

If the beastway is not running I might as well enter all of the MSG events then.....
  • VWsurfbum
    I always like the idea of a midweek race, but in reality its too dificult to get there that early :(
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    Did the last 2 Beastways last year (my first 2 races infact) as i only work in Grays it's not too hard to get to hainult in the evening, depending upon the dreaded M25, but that can be avoided anyway quite easily. I was going to use them as a training session/guide to how much fitter/faster I am getting (delete which is appropriate older/slower)
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Going through some old paperwork yesterday I found me old race numbers and some pictures from Beastway, happy days.
  • C0LL0
    I see the beastway website is back online
  • C0LL0
    Beastway 2012, is a goer :D

Details are on BC website, 1st race is Wed May 16 at 7.30 pm, then every Wed there after

10 round race series with the team race on the 11th wednesday 25th July

an excellent mid week training/blast over the summer months
  • VWsurfbum
    May actually make a few this year, did none last year, my new hours mean I should finish with loads of time to get there?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • C0LL0
    I will be trying to do the whole series (wife dependant) , Really glad this is running again this year, I heard it was in doubt due to Hog Hill being used for Olympic training.
  • C0LL0
    Tonight is the night for the Beastway series opener racing starts at 7.30
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    This does look good and as you say, great for training and for pre MSG races 8) Cant do whole series as a bit too late for my diary but will attend at least half of them, first being on May 30th :D
  • muddylegs
    muddylegs Posts: 485
    Looked at the pictures from last night, it was a bit sticky.
  • evo3ben
    'COLLO' how did you get on? Is it the same circuit each race?
  • evo3ben
    Had a go at this last night using it as a warm up and training for the MSG series and to be honest i was mightly impressed!
    Great location with a stunning view over London which made me realise how high up we were and how hard the race was going to be up and down this hill countless times.
    Course was well set out with alot of variation and enough to keep everyone happy. All the racers were in good spirit, polite and in general a good atmosphere.
    A big thanks to all the organisers for a great course and looking forward to next weeks race! 8)
  • C0LL0
    evo3ben wrote:
    'COLLO' how did you get on? Is it the same circuit each race?

HI, They change the track every week, although some bits are always in it, they might just run it the other way around.

They run it very well, I do like it there, but if your having a bad night on the bike it just seems to get worse and worse as happened to me on Wednesday (went over the bars on the 2nd lap in the wooded section)
  • evo3ben
    It is definately a good set up just a shame you cant see your results after the race like MSG. Hope all is ok after your off! My race didnt start well with the guy infront of me puncturing on the line and putting in 3rd from last into the first corner.
    Then on lap 3 i was catching two riders up on the gradual climb leading to the short sharp steep bit before the finish and the guy in front slip his pedal near the top, i slamed the brakes on but due to the steepness my front wheel went up, couldnt get clipped out quick enough and i went back and off the side of the hill into the thorn bush and nettles! :shock: The guy helped me out and pulled the bike off me but i was in pain. Stung and scratched all over legs and arms. Finished the race but both arms had a fair amount of blood running down them. Wife wasnt too impressed as she pulled out over a dozen thorns out of my arms that night lol. Still, will be there to endure some more pain next week and looking for a good result at Codham on sunday, hopefully!
  • C0LL0
    Sounds like you had an interesting time.... You can't miss me, I'll be in the big sign written Grays Motorcycles Van with Grays Motorcycle Centre clothing on.... I stand out alittle bit ... come and say hello on Wednesday.

Did you see the women trying to drive under the closed height restriction barrier on wednesday with the 2 bike on top of the car..... lets just say she nearly made it through but the bikes didn't... new thule bike carrier needed
  • muddylegs
    Anyone racing tonight? I plan on going over to watch and marshall see you all there.
  • VWsurfbum
    Was planning to but bike is still covered from Sundays race and the new frame turned up today so ill be playing with that im guessing
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • muddylegs
    Great race last night i walked the course before the riders turned up and wished i had brought my bike, quite technical with some tasty little climbs. It rained 30 minutes before the start which made it a bit slippery. Good turn out, might race next week.
  • C0LL0
    I was caught out by the shower before the start, heading down the grass section before the little mound, I got completly cross rutted and slid for what seemed like ages on my backside, but during the race the grip just got better as it went on.

I have a theory though, when ever I put on a new set of clothing I end up on the floor, I think I bought ground seeking lycra by mistake.
  • evo3ben
    Was a tougher course than last week i thought. Had to use the training bike due to the race bike being repaired after MSG at Codham :roll: The wife was with me this time as our little girl was at a sleep over at her friends 8) She got some good pics from different parts of the course. Now she wants to have a go! It doesnt look that bad she said :lol::lol:
  • C0LL0
    Ha Ha, It's easy this MTB racing
  • evo3ben
    Well, i honestly thought that the course wednesday just gone was harder than the two races previous! Best position so far but it hurt alot lol. Ickfield House on sunday then hopefully back to beastway on wednesday 8)
  • C0LL0
    I volunterd as a marshall on Wednesday just gone, thought it was a tough course, I was on the uphill gravel switchback section before the downhill bit through the trees. I shall be back racing on Wednesday.
  • evo3ben
    Got to be honest, i was blowing so much, i wouldn't have noticed a naked page 3 girl marshalling pmsl :lol:
  • C0LL0
    So you did see me then...................
  • C0LL0
    So who's up for the team event, Team Bikeradar ????? :D
  • evo3ben
    I could well be up for a team effort :D I have a friend that also races in the series so that could be 3 of us, just need 1 more if your up for it?
    I now race for Team Trisports so stand out a bit with the kit on lol. Not going to be there this wednesday though due to work :( but hoping to be there next wednesday 4th July :D
  • Nicemonkey
    Nicemonkey Posts: 13
    I am up for making part of the team as well, I am the rider in the Nicemonkey Kit. Normally spotted getting a bad start in the First wave...master's cat :roll: