New Years wind - it safe?

13»

Comments

• welkman
    welkman Posts: 396
    Got hit by a squall on the way in this morning and had to stop because the rain was hitting my face so hard it hurt like hell, I also could not see. I have only experienced that much rain once before on a transatlanic crossing somewhere in the carribeian sea. The worst weather for my commute in two years.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The weather in London is nothing NOTHING compared to what I had to ride through in Windshire with ITB, Linsen, Rob, Bassjunkie and 'Ill Prince' 2-3years ago.

I'd go as far as to say the weather right now is pleasent.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Headwind hell this morning, not helped by the fact I decided today would be good for breaking in my new Marathon Winter tyres on the MTB. Should have tried dragging a parachute behind just to increase the resistance. Probably my slowest time ever!

On the plus had a great little ride out on Tuesday where we caught a tailwind on a flat open section and were cruising along at 39mph :D
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I had a nice tailwind this morning, sometimes switching to a gusty sidewind.

Which means I'll have a gusty head/side wind all the way home :(

Still, it won't kill me....

Today was better than yesterday, apart from the 5 minute downpour (sheets of rain coming down, then blue sky) and yesterday was better than Tuesday, when I took the car. I did get woken up at 4:30 this morning by what sounded like someone jetwashing my window!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I had to wimp out today and call in sick, wind outside sounded just as bad. Picked up a stomach bug and couldn't be 'out of range' for too long this morning. Feel utterly wiped out now so may well wimp out and drive tomorrow.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The weather in London is nothing NOTHING compared to what I had to ride through in Windshire with ITB, Linsen, Rob, Bassjunkie and 'Ill Prince' 2-3years ago.

I'd go as far as to say the weather right now is pleasent.

Indeed hence why I took the car this AM, I rode in London though that was positively tropical paradise by comparison.

Happy 2012 ... BBQ summer anyone?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Was my first chance to get on a bike for two weeks so I went into work but it was a tough ride. Obviously nothing to do with lounging around for two weeks doing nothing... must have been the wind.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wierd how different headwinds change your ride time. On the tourer, my uphill home commute of 9.5 miles takes about 37 minutes on a fairly neutral day. Yesterday was horrible - gusting rainy headwinds all the way home with some crosswinds for good measure. Took 49 minutes which is one of my slowest times. Today was far, far better. Still a headwind though but nothing like yesterday. Saved a measly five minutes of journey time over yesterday........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Weird how if its a headwind in the morning its rarely a tailwind in the evening.... but a tailwind (rare) in the morning stays a headwind in the evening.... and tonights WNW-erly was hard going travelling back to NW London... wonder how ToeKnee got on back to St Albans, its a good 10miles more and a few open hills as well...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    God it was horrendous last night, so so hard.

I went to bed at 9:30! :lol: I was exhausted!

My ride home is NW, and the wind was coming from the.....NW. Averaged just over 12mph :oops:

Nice and calm today though, but I took it slow as I need to get home again (!) and I've got a case of the sniffles.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I have to say the ride home was painful, I was heading South West across London. Felt like I was riding through custard. The ride into work this morning wasn't that much different to be honest.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Yesterday, the afternoon inparticular was the hardest commutes I have had, I leave work and travel west for 4 miles on a country lane, pretty exposed and there were times where my HR and legs were reacting like I was climbing my biggest hill on my commute, after these 4 miles I then head 11 miles pretty much straight north and the wind was WNW so was gusting me towards traffic. My legs were crackered when I got home. The thing it did do though was show me that I spend a lot of my commute in the comfort zone normally, where as when I started out commuting due to lack of fitness it was alaway 80-90% effort...

This morning was near perfect for me with the wind still NW, and it is set to turn this afternoon so hopefull a bit of a tail wind then as well!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I just have to share this.

Part of next doors fence blew down in the recent winds. Today I hear some banging so look outside and see the guy that lives there trying to knock the rest of the fence down using a golf club :lol:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Weird how if its a headwind in the morning its rarely a tailwind in the evening.... but a tailwind (rare) in the morning stays a headwind in the evening.... and tonights WNW-erly was hard going travelling back to NW London... wonder how ToeKnee got on back to St Albans, its a good 10miles more and a few open hills as well...
    Was tough wasn't it? The cr*p washed onto the roads (twigs, branches and grit) and large puddles caused most grief as I had to ride out in the road somewhat. Oh and the road-works on Burnt Oak Broadway. :-( I did manage to pass everyone on route and no-one passed me - mainly because you were travelling at a different time of course. :D
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • ToeKnee wrote:
    Weird how if its a headwind in the morning its rarely a tailwind in the evening.... but a tailwind (rare) in the morning stays a headwind in the evening.... and tonights WNW-erly was hard going travelling back to NW London... wonder how ToeKnee got on back to St Albans, its a good 10miles more and a few open hills as well...
    Was tough wasn't it? The cr*p washed onto the roads (twigs, branches and grit) and large puddles caused most grief as I had to ride out in the road somewhat. Oh and the road-works on Burnt Oak Broadway. :-( I did manage to pass everyone on route and no-one passed me - mainly because you were travelling at a different time of course. :D
    Yes - I hit the back of that queue about 7pm-ish and the queue was all the way up the hill by the Shell garage to the Deansbrook lights which were replaced by temporary affairs and badly phased, I just tanked past them with a big smile....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • suzyb wrote:
    I just have to share this.

Part of next doors fence blew down in the recent winds. Today I hear some banging so look outside and see the guy that lives there trying to knock the rest of the fence down using a golf club :lol:

Bet he's not a member of a club. He doesn't sound much like a joiner.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem