New Years wind - it safe?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Do you have anyone in your house able to make the arrangements for you to be committed UE?
    If not, I'm happy to help.
  • Do you have anyone in your house able to make the arrangements for you to be committed UE?

Mrs. Elephant says I'm grounded when I get back. :(
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Do you have anyone in your house able to make the arrangements for you to be committed UE?

Mrs. Elephant says I'm grounded when I get back. :(
    I'd hide your tools. She may dismantle your bikes.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    It's so windy the Kingston bridge is closed..yet UE cycles to work :shock:
  • suzyb wrote:

It wasn't as bad when I set off as it was when I got into work, though. I set off in a nasty headwind, which I thought would be nice to clear out my lungs and head after Christmas - when I arrived at work, it was a whole different kettle of fish.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    suzyb wrote:
    I did a double take when I read that. Different Kingston Bridge, not the one across the Thames.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It cleared up here for a few mins, clouds disappeared to be replaced by blue which i can only assume is sky, having not seen any for such a long time.

not to worry though that soon reverted to black & grey with the chance of dread & doom
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    edited January 2012
    itboffin wrote:
    It cleared up here for a few mins, clouds disappeared to be replaced by blue which i can only assume is sky, having not seen any for such a long time.

not to worry though that soon reverted to black & grey with the chance of dread & doom

So after all that talk about M'ing TFU, you go and work from home?

Dare I say it, I am disappoint.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited January 2012
    itboffin wrote:

MTFU would have demanded that you kept pace with the clouds so that you were always directly under the blue bit of sky while it rained in all directions around you but not on you because you MTFU'd just that much.

clenchbicep\d
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Horizontal rain and mammoth winds here - fortunately I'm on holiday this week 8)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    If a sub-60kg guy can commute in, you (London) guys have no excuse.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I may be nearer to 80 kg, but I present a much larger surface to the wind due to being a fair bit longer than you. But I rode in so it's all good.
    Walked to Sainsbury's to get lunch with a blue sky, narely a cloud in sight. Came out a few minutes later and the sky was black.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I may be nearer to 80 kg, but I present a much larger surface to the wind due to being a fair bit longer than you. But I rode in so it's all good.
    8cb7c7946affd74.jpg
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Walked to Sainsbury's to get lunch with a blue sky, narely a cloud in sight. Came out a few minutes later and the sky was black.

I'm a bit heavier have to say I don't mind the wind I don't seem to get blown about, possibly old MTB memories coming into play ie don't get tramlined. the only problem is the lack of gears and headwinds.....
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    Was pretty nasty this morning coming in. Heading west about to cross over Bishopsgate this morning (London) and I got hit by a massive gust blowing down from the new Heron Tower. It is the first time my bike has ever stopped dead like I was braking (only my hands were not on the brakes). Impossible to filter the stopped traffic and then track stand. Even one foot on the ground was not enough to keep my balance while waiting for the light to change.

I'm just hoping I get the tailwind home now :)
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    noodles71 wrote:
    Was pretty nasty this morning coming in. Heading west about to cross over Bishopsgate this morning (London) and I got hit by a massive gust blowing down from the new Heron Tower. It is the first time my bike has ever stopped dead like I was braking (only my hands were not on the brakes). Impossible to filter the stopped traffic and then track stand. Even one foot on the ground was not enough to keep my balance while waiting for the light to change.

:D

Not sure if I take similar route (via evelyn/tooley st), but I had a tail wind for the most part this morning, and fairly sure I had one coming back for most of it.

Bit of an anti-climax really, all this talk about heavy rain and gales..pfft ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    nich wrote:
    noodles71 wrote:

:D

Not sure if I take similar route (via evelyn/tooley st), but I had a tail wind for the most part this morning, and fairly sure I had one coming back for most of it.

Bit of an anti-climax really, all this talk about heavy rain and gales..pfft ;)

Ummm...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-16392381
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Quite amused that this image made it onto sky news (http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531)

Note the little fella on the left :D

16141511.jpg
  • Riding into the strongest headwinds I've experienced on my bike so far this morning on the way into work, hoping for the same tailwinds on the way home but typically had died right down!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    nich wrote:
    Quite amused that this image made it onto sky news (http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16141531)

Note the little fella on the left :D

Noted and likewise amused - ta!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Its looking quite naughty for my route home tonight

XCweather has Liverpool at WSW winds from 28mph to 56mph with 8mm rain

eek!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Entertaining ride home this evening. Gusting to 50 according to XC, pitch dark and heavy rain. Headwind I can cope with but it's the sidewind that hits you as you pass gaps in the hedges that really catch me out. Always a great sense of achievement when I get home though!

Yesterday was gusting to 92 up here so I worked from home. I'm such a wuss! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Gusting 55 - 58 head and cross winds on way home. Couple of alarming swerves and nearly 50 minutes to cover 9.5 miles.........

A much more manageable 30 for tomorrow :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Interesting headwind on the way home this evening - blowing DOWN the steepest hill on my ride :-(
    Still managed to pass a rucksacked hybrider like he was going backwards - which he may well have been !

Gotta love drops when there's a headwind :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    383976_10150460811032717_740222716_8666157_570364537_n.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Its looking quite naughty for my route home tonight

XCweather has Liverpool at WSW winds from 28mph to 56mph with 8mm rain

eek!

well i survived, an have to thank the trucks that drive on Liverpool docks, they all behaved them selves an kept well back

it took me an 1hr to travel 15miles!!!!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    'twas a lovely tailwind this morning- almost beat my best road bike time on my MTB; should have worn a baggier coat.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Twas very windy riding in this morning!

I was flying along a flat road with a tailwind, looked down at the speedo and I was doing 34mph! :shock:

The ride home could be interesting :twisted:
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Twas a challenging headwind all the home last night adding about18 minutes to my normal 44 minute ride!

Wimped out this morning as was even more fierce when I got up with the added incentive of lashing wind to deter cycling.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Wish I’d decided to have a day off the bike : Jesus the wind this morning was unbelievable : I thought coming home last night was bad enough when I nearly got blown off the road down into Attworth but this morning I honestly felt like I got physically lifted into the air off the road and dumped about 2 feet to my left at the top of Bowden Hill.

I managed to stay upright somehow but was riding on the grass verge for about 10 feet : mental
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper