New Years wind - it safe?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
I don't wont my 2012 season to start on a bad note bit all i can hear is the howl of the wind crashing into cars, trees and bins. It seems to be taking the bins with it... It's my first ride and I'm a little nervous is it safe out or should the sensible amongst us take alternative methods to work?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Five cars went off the road here yesterday during a hail storm, now this morning trees and power lines are down and several of the main roads closed to traffic.

Think I might have another cuppa
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Driving today, wheely bins blown into road and horizontal rain makes discretion the better part of valour!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    I'l be making an attempt, but won't be afraid to hop off and walk if it gets hairy. Will stay well clear of high-sided vehicles.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Gonna give it a go, problem is I am quite high sided. Have to try and stay low in the drops.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Gonna give it a go, problem is I am quite high sided. Have to try and stay low in the drops.

Do get high speed branches in Bushy which can be a danger.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    For once, I can say it's relatively calm up here. Lots of lying snow but winds are typical (around 20mph)

Take care down there - gusting crosswinds can be dangerous.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    all of the wheely bins on my road are currently all over the road, ive already been out once to move em (im a good neighbour you see - unlike them at number 57)

i had left my bike in work over chrimbo so i got a lift this morning, im looking forward to 50mph gusts on the way home though
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    After a week eating assorted game, accompanied by sprouts, red cabbage and roasted root vegetables, all washed down with lashings of dark ale, I can confidently state that the New Year's wind round here is pretty hazardous....

Happy New Year all :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Well I'd had ideas of a good start to the year with my 18.5 mile route in but discretion got the better part of valour and I stuck with the 9.5. It wasn't too bad apart from the initial climb - into gusting side and headwinds on the steep climb that nearly stopped me dead at one point and had me on a dangerously erratic course a couple of times. Took me 7 minutes 40 seconds to get to the top - normally on the Dawes I'd expect to do it over two minutes quicker. After that it was just a tailwind. Same route home so should be interesting.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    is it safe?

I think my route is similar to yours.

Felt like my flat was about to be blow down, but once I got out on the bike it was fine. Nice tailwind. Low traffic.
    Headwind home might not be so nice.
    exercise.png
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I got off and walked twice.......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Pretty grim this morning. I missed the rain but got hit by some strong gusts of wind. Dropped the steerer stack by an inch and a half last night so bike felt a bit strange too. Wasn't as bad as a ride in North Wales between Christmas and New Year when I was blown into the verge twice and ended up having to walk for a mile because of fears for my safety :?
  • DonDaddyD
    T'was a glorious ride into work. Hardly any wind or rain. Which means it's going to be like doing a couple rounds Tyson on the way home.

Now where is the 'Silly Commuter Stats - 2012' thread... I'm going for it this year!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Was fine.

Wind was from behind. Properly.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    is it safe?

I can only hear that line in Laurence Olivier as Dentist's voice.

Lovely tailwind and a public showing for rainlegs (the shame!) - luckily precious few out to see such. Hoping that the sunshine forecast for 3pm makes a showing.
  • Apparently the weather stations round here were reading average wind-speeds of 76 mph, maxing out at 92 mph. That was a headwind, and I'm on a course of antibiotics for a chest infection.

Of course I cycled :|

There was a few points where I couldn't even stand up, I had to cling onto a lamppost to stop both me and my bike getting blown away. Pure, f*cking crazy. That is all.
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently the weather stations round here were reading average wind-speeds of 76 mph, maxing out at 92 mph. That was a headwind, and I'm on a course of antibiotics for a chest infection.

There was a few points where I couldn't even stand up, I had to cling onto a lamppost to stop both me and my bike getting blown away. Pure, f*cking crazy. That is all.

Hero
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Bit blowy in Bushy Park. Just kept my head down and plodded along, a few strong gust from my left blew me about a bit. Fortunately not too bad on the road bits.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Comment in the Guardian from this morning:
    the met office has just upgraded its warning to RED for central scotland. Which means "take action". I'm not sure what action to take... Sacrifice a goat?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    First commute of the year was a mixed bag. Wet roads but little rain was OK but the wind was pretty squally. Coming over Wandsworth Bridge was probably the worst as got hammered by a cross wind, blowing me off of the chosen line. Millbank was great fun, slight tail wind, followed by head wind followed by turbo-boost wind outside Millbank sending me over 30mph.

The ride home is going to be a bitch...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Just turned a little biblical in the City.

Well, from the comfort from my desk it seems that way anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    Biblical, I can't see the houses across the road and the rain has set off car alarms. Must be that ghetto rain that goes after the stereo....

Onm a serious note, I wouldn't ride through that....

Shite, my bike is outside no cover!
    Food Chain number = 4

• choldy
    choldy Posts: 28
    Well I personally chickened out, as I'm only 6.5 miles from work I ran instead!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Hope that the rain eases off - just had the revelation that my waterproof jacket is at home....
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I took PT. I'm blown about in a slight breeze so wasn't about to take any chances this morning.
  • rick_chasey
    All cool and the gang here now.

Will be a tough headwind on the way home.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    in kent - there is no way you would get on my bike today, let alone stay on - reminds me of that great video - windkracht acht - which was circulating a while back
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • rick_chasey
    Apparently the weather stations round here were reading average wind-speeds of 76 mph, maxing out at 92 mph. That was a headwind, and I'm on a course of antibiotics for a chest infection.

Hero

You mean this one ILM?
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Rick C - yes thats the one. the problem with these sub 7 kg bikes is sometimes they wont stay one the ground for you to get on !!... brilliant
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Apparently the weather stations round here were reading average wind-speeds of 76 mph, maxing out at 92 mph. That was a headwind, and I'm on a course of antibiotics for a chest infection.

Hero

You mean this one ILM?

Actually, there were times this morning that make that look quite tame. Seriously.