Pasteys new Azonic Avenger W.I.P.

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited May 2012 in Your mountain bikes
In an effort to ease the pain in my ailing back i have decided to sell the lynskey ti hardtail and build an azonic avenger am frame. its a 150mm travel frame and most of my bits should port straight over. along with the frame ive purchased a pair of white 150mm rs revelation rl's with crown lockout, also needed a new headset so ordered a kcnc semi integrated model in red.
full spec
frame 2012 17" azonic avenger 150mm travel
forks 2012 rockshox revelation rl 150mm 15mm thru axle in white
h/set kcnc kudos semi integrated red
stem macmahone 70mm white inc gold ti nitride bolts
bar answer protaper 720am red
grips superstar excell grey with red lock ons and silver/gold one23 cnc end plugs
seatpost ks 950i dropper post with remote
saddle koobi alpha prs red/white/black
seatclamp kcnc gold/red
brakes shimano saint 4 pots with shimano 6 bolt floating rotors and goodridge hoses inc mowa rotor bolts and caliper bolts
chainset fsa pro team carbon hollowtech, 36/26 deore steel rings,red kcnc chainring bolts ,bottom bracket gold ceramic hollowtech, shaman racing carbon bash guard
f/r mech m970 xtr 9spd
cassette 11/34 slx
chain brass coated wipperman
pedals m970 xtr spd
wheels red superstar evo hubs, black sapim race db spokes, black stans flow rims 15mm front, 10mm rear and brass nips
tyres bontrager xr2 team issue tubeless ready.

hoping for a weight of around 30lbs give or take a bit, all new bits should arrive in next couple of days so i can get out for a ride before im back at work.
azonic.jpg
RS-REVELATION-RL.jpg
hers some pics i will take better ones when its dry and light.
CIMG0009-8.jpg
CIMG0010-7.jpg
CIMG0011-7.jpg
CIMG0012-6.jpg
CIMG0013-6.jpg
CIMG0014-7.jpg
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    never heard of it...haha

i personally would have gone with something nicer and with a fox shock. the marzocchi isn't bad but it's not great either

but it looks like a good spec with some very nice forks
  • pastey_boy
    the shock is a £500 job and has some very good reviews .i got the frame from crc for a silly £552 in their sale and the forks for an equally silly £300 from merlin. tredz have the frame for sale at £1995 so i reckon i got a bargain. i used to ride a bike based around the old azonic samurai and loved it, this bike seems similar so it should be fine. with all my coloured bits it should look ok too. was going to spec some bigger forks ,lyriks, fox 36's or zocchi 55's but i reckon the revs will match the frame fine and save a shed load of weight.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • jay12
    pastey_boy wrote:
    the shock is a £500 job and has some very good reviews .i got the frame from crc for a silly £552 in their sale and the forks for an equally silly £300 from merlin. tredz have the frame for sale at £1995 so i reckon i got a bargain. i used to ride a bike based around the old azonic samurai and loved it, this bike seems similar so it should be fine. with all my coloured bits it should look ok too. was going to spec some bigger forks ,lyriks, fox 36's or zocchi 55's but i reckon the revs will match the frame fine and save a shed load of weight.
    wow thats is a very good bargain indeed! good work
  • pastey_boy
    the other factor was that they are very rare and im unlikely to bump into another one on the trails. i was going to spend a lot more on a frame but my girfriend is sick of me spending money on bikes so when i showed her what a bargain it was she let me buy it . if im totaly honest im a bit reluctant to spend a fortune on a bike as i usually get rid after a few weeks.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    forks arrived today and the frame and headset should be here tomorrow. just stripped the lynskey down ready for her new owner so all the bits are ready to slap on my new frame, any luck i will make it out for a ride on saturday.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    pastey_boy wrote:
    forks arrived today and the frame and headset should be here tomorrow. just stripped the lynskey down ready for her new owner so all the bits are ready to slap on my new frame, any luck i will make it out for a ride on saturday.
    stop talking about the bloody thing and get it put together, cant wait to see how it looks :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • pastey_boy
    my post man has excelled himself and the bike is nearly built, should have some pics up in the next couple of hours. ive got to admit it looks a lot better in the flesh. just got a fully built weight of 31.5lbs, bit heavier than i thought but not bad for a bike with quite a few heftier components on it. ive got the bits to get it well under 30lbs but id rather have the strength over super light. the forks match the frame nicely, just got to helicopter tape under the cables and set the brakes :D
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I'm really interested to see what this looks like.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • pastey_boy
    just took a few pics but its going dark and pi55ing down ,i will take some nice one when weather permits. hopefully get to llandegla tomorrow for a maiden voyage.
    CIMG0009-8.jpg
    CIMG0010-7.jpg
    CIMG0011-7.jpg
    CIMG0012-6.jpg
    CIMG0013-6.jpg
    CIMG0014-7.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • chez_m356
    thats looking very nice, not too sure about the gold crank arms though?
  • pastey_boy
    chez_m356 wrote:
    thats looking very nice, not too sure about the gold crank arms though?
    im a little unsure on them too but they were sat there doing nothing and under the gold they are very good bits of kit. i may treat mysef to a new set if they dont grow on me.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Really nice looking bit of kit you've built (again) how do you find the Saint brakes? Getting a big hitter at the end of the month and looking at putting the stock Elixer 5's on the Meta and upgrading to something with more bite so looking at ether Saints or Codes
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • pastey_boy
    i have used every brake out there and the saints beat them all hands down and being shimano they just work and continue to do so. my spares box is full of dead avids and hayes brakes. hope v2's come close to the saints but the saints have more feel in my opinion. chainreaction were doing the saints pretty cheap, not sure if the offers still on. good new for my bike is ive found some red crank arms ,i love the atlas cranks but i think the gold is too much. i dont consider my bike a big hitter , more of an aggressive all rounder but i need big brakes as im fairly heavy and they saved my life more than once up at lee quarry.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    you can get a ful set of saints with rotors for £325 from merlin, offer lasts until the 3rd. crc were doing them for £125 per brake no rotor but ar showing no stock till feb
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    you can get a ful set of saints with rotors for £325 from merlin, offer lasts until the 3rd. crc were doing them for £125 per brake no rotor but ar showing no stock till feb

It's looking like my bike will be coming from Leisure lakes as i'll be taking full advantage of the 0% and hopefully a good deal with a set of brakes which would take it to 18 months 0% rather than 12, Leisure Lakes have the 2012 M810 saints without rotors £157.49 each end with VIP. Need the extra stopping power myself as i'm a fat nacker and they will be used for downhill with the Elixer 5's being used for trail center riding.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I bet that's really good fun on a techy descent. I think it would look better with less red and gold though to be honest.
  • pastey_boy
    yes but if i dont have lots and lots of anodised madness going on then the bike loses its pasteyness, the red cranks should make a big difference. hopefully i will make it to llandegla tomorrow so i can report on the ride. initial tests show it to be extremely plush but i am going to have to mess with fork and shock pressures to dial it in, the marzocchi air shock does feel like a coil unit though and the tst lever seems to make a difference too.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    holy sh!t that looks high and steep :shock: how high is the bb??
  • pastey_boy
    its a bit high but settles down when im aboard. ill let you know how i get on after its maiden voyage.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • I thought the same about the BB height, touching the sky!

Looks very nice, personally I like the look with the gold cranks!
  • jay12
    thats quite nice!
    i think the red cranks should look much better on it rather than the gold ones. and i also noticed the high bb, which personally i don't like. but as long as you like how it rides!
  • pastey_boy
    just back from a very muddy ride at llandegla and im happy to report the azonic rides superbly, the high bb wasnt noticeable and the bike flew down hill and was very plush .it also climbed very well, i left the tst adjuster in the mid setting and it seemed to do its job well. only issue i had today was the cable for my post remote got gunked up and i had to manually raise and lower my seat for two thirds of the ride, also had gee atherton asking me for directions halfway down the b-ine section, he was after a short cut . all in all very happy with the bike and most importantly i had no back pain afterwards which was my main reason for going back to a full sus.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    looks nice that does.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • pastey_boy
    im just trying to make something to stop water and crud going into the end of my dropper post remote cable, had two rides compromised due to the cable getting sticky. easy answer would be sell it and get a reverb but i love the ks 950i and apart from the remote cable getting fouled its been faultless. should be easy enough to sort.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    just ordered a set of red crank arms, i can use the gold ones on another project.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:
    just ordered a set of red crank arms, i can use the gold ones on another project.
    red crank arms arrive and then got sent back as they didnt have mounting holes for a granny ring. decided to stick a pair of fsa carbon arms on instead along with a carbon bash guard and a 26/36 set up. the cranks have a bit of red on them as does the bash and ill use red chainring bolts so it should all look ok. im going to be using deore steel chainrings as they last forever. i sorted the sealing out for my post remote cable, i used a cut down nosed ferrule and some rubber o rings. looks neat and should keep all water and crud out. once i have the new cranks, bash and rings on along with some bontrager tubeless ready tyres im fitting it will take the bikes weight under the 30lbs mark. might also splash out on a carbon bar. aso going to fit my old charge spoon leather ti saddle as the koobi is getting detroyed with the grit and grime that about, so thats more weight saved.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    here are a few pics with the new chainset, bash and rings. im going to buy a pair on nobby nic 2.35 tubeless ready tyres which will save almost a full pound over the rocket ron ust's i have fitted. im going to leave the bars and saddle as they are as i value comfort and strength over a few grams.
    IMAG0358.jpg
    IMAG0359.jpg
    IMAG0360.jpg
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • chez_m356
    very exotic, looks much better now, of course you could have kept the gold ones and put gold bars and seat clamp on instead :lol: only joking, i'd say you've got it spot on now :D
  • pastey_boy
    im much happier with how it looks now. the only real upgrade i can now see me doing is a set of lighter wheels. i would love a set of carbon rimmed am wheels but the prices are still silly high although bargains do crop up.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy
    i know the carbon fsa cranks have only been in place for a day or so but i have just got a new hive/e thirteen chainset for silly money. its black and i will replace its triple rings with the bash and rings i currently have fitted. i can then fit the new rings off the hive chainset to the fsa carbon arms so i can then sell the fsa chainset along with my ceramic bb as the hive set up has its own bb. keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds as im going to be selling a large amount of nice bits i have no need for.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti