Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    :shock:
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Makes me feel......... weak and worthless. Off to search for some steroid cure for my aging puny body. :cry:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It was 631kg for 5 reps according to his twitter :0
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mr Dog
    In the media he comes across as a really nice bloke. On a bike he is a monster. Love to see him munching those Aussies. :D
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Impressive - but surely there are a few health and safety issues raised there!
  • Mr Dog
    Yep. They just ran out of plates. I wonder if he would of managed a few more reps if the S&C coach had been a woman (of identical weight)??
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    wow.... funny bit was he said he could have probably managed another rep if Ross Edgar hadn't been pulling faces & making him laugh...
  • I once saw someone shit themselves when straining doing a leg presses. :shock:
  • I'm sure his squats and dead are pretty impressive too, think 350kg for squat, can't remeber whether that was a 1RM though.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • napoleond
    I've met him and had lunch with him, he was at my dad's studio for some promotional shots for Kellog's after beijing.
    He is a really nice bloke, very humble and down to earth. His legs in a normal environment were freaking MAFFIS!

I'm not a small, weak lad-
    NapDatLMTT020510.jpg

But I'm freaking tiny compared to him... Man, his legs!!
    C_110nogore.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    joe2008 wrote:

Pretty gentle incline to be reaching for the 34x25 however :wink:

Heh heh, I was gutted the photographer did the opposite of adding 'a bit of Dutch' to the photo!

It was on Ankerdine Hill during the Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mr Dog
    Nap D you are a brave man to be pictured in lycra next to Sir Chris with his beast quads. :shock: I think i would of opted for jeans or hidden behind the seat tube.
  • napoleond
    edited December 2011
    NapoleonD wrote:
    joe2008 wrote:

Pretty gentle incline to be reaching for the 34x25 however :wink:

Heh heh, I was gutted the photographer did the opposite of adding 'a bit of Dutch' to the photo!

It was on Ankerdine Hill during the Beacon Little Mountain Time Trial

Oh, and it's a 37/26. So about the same...

Here's a shot of the Tour of Britain on the same climb-

tob_ankerdine.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    Mr Dog wrote:
    Nap D you are a brave man to be pictured in lycra next to Sir Chris with his beast quads. :shock: I think i would have opted for jeans or hidden behind the seat tube.

Heh heh, His backside was as equally absurdly large.
    He had to have specially made jeans as he is a 34 waist but only 42 would fit over his quads/arse.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Awesome from Sir Chris. Wonder what Cav could push, not half of that I d Imagine. still anyone who's giving it the cyclist arent proper sportsmen bollox after SPOTY might want to take a gym session with the 2008 winner.

Remember when I was at Uni (Mike Yates) one of the lecturers on our course was strength and conditioning coach at Saracens Rugby club.

He had Richard Hill in the Gym on the Pec machine with it stacked at 120kg and asked one of the bigger lads to give him a hand.

(Sorry Mike I cant spot that for him)

Spot it dont be stupid I want you to sit on the bar the bastards not working hard enough.
  • As I pointed out elsewhere, while that's a lot of mass, it's less than the women's WR and about 60% of the men's record for a 45 degree incline press of 8 reps.

Chris is strong for sure, but it's his speed that matters most :)
  • napoleond
    I bet you know someone who goes on holiday to Elevenerife too ;)
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I think that if I tried the Chris Hoy leg press exercise the only thing I would squeeze out would be a dookie :o

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    That looks pretty extreme.

Before you all panic and sign up to a gym and strain something, bear in mind that not all cyclists need to do that kind of gym work. This is from Team Sky's online chat last week:
    geraint,do you do much body weights as part of you're training??

no just big gear efforts on the bike. all specific.
    In an interview Geraint also recommends "Firstly, don’t go from nothing to 20 hours a week or whatever, that’s when you start to pick up injuries or a few niggles, it’s better to do it slowly". http://road.cc/49472

Elevenerife, is that "one warmer"? :D
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    It's a lot, but there's probably a double figure amount of
    People at my gym that could do more, a lot more. I was capable of 400-500 when I occasionally did it (useless compared to a squat as an excersise) but I guess the average folk find it amazing.

Even the smallest guy on here could easily do 150kg I
    Reckon.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    useless compared to a squat as an excersise
    +1
    okgo wrote:
    Even the smallest guy on here could easily do 150kg I Reckon.
    Well considering it's a supported press at 45 degrees, then the effective mass you are pushing will be 70% of what's on the machine, so that's only the equivalent of pressing 105kg vertically.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I gave sqautted 180kg which is a healthy amount. Not sure how it translates to leg press and I'm sure Mr Hoy has a decent sqaut too. But I'd be interested to see where he would've at.

For cycling though I've been doing one legged sqauts and they seem to work without doing too much damage.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    I gave sqautted 180kg which is a healthy amount. Not sure how it translates to leg press
    IME there is only a moderate correlation between what weight people are capable of with leg press and leg squat.
  • tim_wand
    okgo wrote:
    +1
    okgo wrote:
    Well considering it's a supported press at 45 degrees, then the effective mass you are pushing will be 70% of what's on the machine, so that's only the equivalent of pressing 105kg vertically.

Dont get that how is 70% or 631Kg the equivalent of 105 Kg squat. 70% of that load would be 441 Kg no way a mere mortal could squat that. Or does it offer a 70% reduction in the load which leaves 190 Kg.
  • tim wand wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    +1
    okgo wrote:

Dont get that how is 70% or 631Kg the equivalent of 105 Kg squat. 70% of that load would be 441 Kg no way a mere mortal could squat that. Or does it offer a 70% reduction in the load which leaves 190 Kg.
  • tim wand wrote:

I coached a 17 year old girl who could leg press 400kg and could squat 100kg below parallel.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I thought that taking a squat below parallel was a recipe for straining all your knee ligaments and picking up an injury. I never got my squat above 305lb though just because I thought that having big silly legs and a puny upper body wasn't a physique I wanted to have when 18. Now that I am an old fart I am sticking with isolated leg-training exercises on my turbo trainer and some leg extensions when in the company gym.

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    I thought that taking a squat below parallel was a recipe for straining all your knee ligaments and picking up an injury.

Whoever taught you that doesn't know squat!
  • tim_wand
    Sorry Alex_simmons RST,

I see what your saying is most people could do a 150 kg 45 degree Incline leg press as the load is only 70% i.e 105 Kg equivalent.

Still think Sir Chris training is mighty impressive. Surely its the ultimate combination of Type One fast twitch and Type Two slow twitch muscle fibres to have his combination of Speed/Power and Endurance.
  • napoleond
    I have squat about 105kg every time is sit down on the toilet.
    ABCC Cycling Coach