Rapha sale

13»

Comments

• pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    edited January 2012
    bobinski wrote:
    My first time at a Rapha preview sale so i don't know about past sales and prices.

If they are the prices in the sample sale proper you've just saved me some money and an early start tomorrow, as I won't be going (well maybe on Sunday when they knock down the remaining stock). I think the jerseys were cheaper last week in the online sale with the discount codes which were floating around. I've never seen anything other than a single box marked as seconds at a sample sale, everything is just end of line etc.

Anyone been today and got a price list?
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Can you bring your bike in this year? Think someone mentioned it was okay last year..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • just had a wander down there. The queue is massive - easily an hour's wait I reckon.
    I may check back later on, but not sure how much stuff will be left.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    pete54 wrote:
    Seems more expensive than previous sales I've been to. Short sleeve jerseys have always been £30, I wouldn't bother at £60. Merino £40, arm and knee warmers £5-£10.

In the summer sale jerseys were £35 and the arm/knee warmers between £10 and £15. Didn't expect it to be £60 for a jersey. bobinkski, many thanks for picking one up. If you decide you don't want it I'll happily buy it off you, send me a pm and we'll arrange something.

Rick Chasey, you got in yet? Wondering if it's worth popping down later as it's a bit of a trek from the Wharf and I'm not cycling it as am on best bike and have no lock.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • pete54
    In the summer sale jerseys were £35 and the arm/knee warmers between £10 and £15. Didn't expect it to be £60 for a jersey.

Not when I went on the Saturday. I got a couple of club jerseys and a Galibier jersey for £30 each. Leg warmers were a tenner.

From the LFGSS forum:
    utter waste of time. mostly all the shit country jerseys, poorly made gloves and the Paul smith stuff not so popular it seems)
  • keyser__soze
    pete54 wrote:
    Not when I went on the Saturday. I got a couple of club jerseys and a Galibier jersey for £30 each. Leg warmers were a tenner.

Ah, fair enough, maybe they were cheaper at the weekend, or the club ones were slightly cheaper than the pro/country ones I got. Think I'll be giving this one a miss.
  • pete54
    Think I'll be giving this one a miss.

Yes, me too. I have too much Rapha as it is, haven't even worn the Galibier jersey. I will try and pop in when there are no queues as my girlfriend wants some tights or 3/4 length bibs. The women's stuff doesn't tend to go too quickly anyway.

From LFGSS forum again:
    Worth noting: prices have gone up
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mate of mine has been in the queue from 9, still in the queue at 11:30. He might be a disappointed bunny given the comments above.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hmmm going down at 3, not expecting much, hopefully no que for a start! Luckily I'm in the area anyway, can just deviate to the pub earlier than expected.

Updates welcome...
  • jds_1981
    I won't bother popping over at lunchtime then.
    blooming students or whoever who can afford to queue all morning :evil:
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • keyser__soze
    From LFGSS:
    Just got back. There are no jackets left really at least none I could find. they were 70 quid i think. Jerseys were 40, trousers 45 and 3/4 shorts 40 .

That's more like it. May give it a go around 3pm...
  • alanjay
    alanjay Posts: 363
    Long sleeve jerseys 60
    Short sleeve 50
    Merino short sleeve 40
    Trousers 55
    3/4 trousers 50

Agree with what everyone else said - not much there - very much doubt much will be there this afternoon - hopefully they've held some back for tomorrow and Sunday..
  • pete54
    alanjay wrote:
    Long sleeve jerseys 60
    Short sleeve 50
    Merino short sleeve 40
    Trousers 55
    3/4 trousers 50

Still a fairly hefty increase on the last sale.

Were there any jeans or bibtights/longs?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    pete54 wrote:
    alanjay wrote:
    Long sleeve jerseys 60
    Short sleeve 50
    Merino short sleeve 40
    Trousers 55
    3/4 trousers 50

Still a fairly hefty increase on the last sale.

Were there any jeans or bibtights/longs?

Nope.

One guy got bib-shorts and it was like he won the golden ticket.

Mainly club and lightweight jersies and lots of the polo-city wear > which for £60 wasn't worth it (for me). Lots of white socks and gloves.
  • pete54
    Mainly club and lightweight jersies and lots of the polo-city wear > which for £60 wasn't worth it (for me). Lots of white socks and gloves.

Don't suppose you know whether there were any lightweight jerseys in small or medium?

I know what you mean about the merino stuff. It's lovely, but I already have loads of it bought at much lower prices in previous sales.
  • rick_chasey
    pete54 wrote:

Don't suppose you know whether there were any lightweight jerseys in small or medium?

I know what you mean about the merino stuff. It's lovely, but I already have loads of it bought at much lower prices in previous sales.

Saw a lot in small. Wasn't looking for medium.
  • karlb
    karlb Posts: 42
    I've just got back from there, and was told that they'll be restocking for tomorrow, but not Sunday. Unfortunately I'm working tomorrow and can't get down there =/

I don't know if I wasn't looking hard enough, or it was all gone, but I couldn't find any merino/sportswool summer jerseys.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Picked up a med jersey, got in que, thought 'am I spending £60 on something I don't need because it says Rapha on the arm', yes > exit que and proceed to pub!
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    iPete wrote:
    Picked up a med jersey, got in que, thought 'am I spending £60 on something I don't need because it says Rapha on the arm', yes > exit que and proceed to pub!

Did you put the jersey back?
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Sketchley wrote:
    iPete wrote:

Did you put the jersey back?

The only cool Rapha is shoplifted Rapha.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I went at 8:30 this morning, got in at ten. Lots of 3 for £10 socks, almost entirely in XL, and 3 for £10 t shirts, mostly black ones but a couple of green ones in XS. Lots of women's padded shorts, not bibs. Paul Smith jerseys, a fair amount of the city stuff including lots of trousers and a couple of jackets. Plenty of country jerseys in all sizes and a whole box of Galibiers. I saw a few lightweight jerseys in light blue and in white. A box of arm warmers and some knees and legs. lots of hats. Gloves, but not much in leather or in L or XL

I got:
    black SS Italy jersey £40
    3 pairs of socks £10
    Woolly hat with brim, £10
    Nice gloves with leather palms, £25
    A Rapha version of those JD sports drawstring bags, £5
    Rapha Paul smith leather case, £5 (last one apparently)
    3 CDs of various cycling music (?) for a tenner.

So £105 all in. Woolly hats were more expensive at the summer one, SS jerseys were cheaper. Gloves, socks and hat were a bargain, jersey's nice to have, the other stuff was pure impulse. Not as good as the last sale but still a couple of hundred quid cheaper than retail!
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • keyser__soze
    0scar, was your Italy jersy in large? If so you lucky so and so, couldn't find either any black or white ss jerseys in large. Ended up getting some mitts, 3x pairs socks (didn't realise XL was 11+ :( ), arm warmers and a grey long sleeve jersey for me and a blue long sleeve and xs Italy jersey for the missus. Came to just over £200, half of which was stuff for the missus :shock:

The place was a bit of a state when I got there. Random bits and bobs all over the place, nothing in the correct size boxes, random individual socks/arm-warmers/leg-warmers/mitts everywhere, and no-one seemed to be trying to keep it organized. I'd be tempted to go again tomorrow or Sunday morning first thing just on the chance of snagging a black or white ss jersey.
  • rick_chasey
    0scar, was your Italy jersy in large? If so you lucky so and so, couldn't find either any black or white ss jerseys in large. Ended up getting some mitts, 3x pairs socks (didn't realise XL was 11+ :( ), arm warmers and a grey long sleeve jersey for me and a blue long sleeve and xs Italy jersey for the missus. Came to just over £200, half of which was stuff for the missus :shock:

The place was a bit of a state when I got there. Random bits and bobs all over the place, nothing in the correct size boxes, random individual socks/arm-warmers/leg-warmers/mitts everywhere, and no-one seemed to be trying to keep it organized. I'd be tempted to go again tomorrow or Sunday morning first thing just on the chance of snagging a black or white ss jersey.

I was very close to getting the italian jersey in xs. Seems their 'club' jersies are 3/4size bigger than the lightweight jersies.

Ended up with a lightblue (small) lightweight jersey and the red winter knitted hat thing.

for £55 for both it'd be good value if it even if it wasn't Rapha.

Anyone have a chat with Martin Fry by the way?

Thought I recognised his face. Only worked it out when I was told later, after he failed to find me pointing him to the XL box amusing.

I thought I was being helpful?
  • pete54
    Well, I went at lunchtime today (no queue) and bought... nothing.

If you've already got plenty of Rapha gear from previous sales, it's just not worth it at those prices. I picked up a 'cross jersey and then put it back when I realised it was £60. The women's shorts were £60, last time they were £30. Most of the stock seemed to be leftovers from the Summer sample sale.

In the future I'll just buy stuff in their online sale with the discount codes. It's about the same price and, more importantly, you get a warranty. You can't take stuff back you buy in the sample sale if it falls apart.

If you want a merino top it's probably worth going back tomorrow as they have boxes of them (and trousers) which they will knock down to get rid of them.

Had a nice vegetarian breakfast in Nude Espresso with the money I saved.
  • jds_1981
    I went and bought a few things when I realised I'm a size 'small'. No great bargains though.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Balls, missed the sale as only got back from hols this afternoon
    Still, a week of skiing made for an expensive week so probably a good thing.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    Popped in this morning - funny, but a touch unsettling watching loads of bigger blokes trying to squeeze into XS and S jerseys - including womens stuff too (overheard: "can you tell it's a girls top?).

Got a cheapie £10 Etape jersey for the commue and that's it.