More Tube Strikes

jzed
jzed Posts: 2,926
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
Seems the tube drivers fancy a lie in on Boxing day. They fancy triple pay on top of the £42k basic they get.

Add to that the Olympic ransom deal, minimum £500 bonus for doing their job

Wonder how many of the record unemployed would be happy to drive a tube for say £30k.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    How long before this thread degenerates into lefties vs righties?
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    One of the benefits of having large amounts of unemployed people is that its easy to say to a sector threatening industrial action: the unemployed would do your job for less than you get paid - so shut up and lump it.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    JZed wrote:
    Seems the tube drivers fancy a lie in on Boxing day. They fancy triple pay on top of the £42k basic they get.

Add to that the Olympic ransom deal, minimum £500 bonus for doing their job

Wonder how many of the record unemployed would be happy to drive a tube for say £30k.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/ ... ew-year.do reckons on a basic of £45,545
  • jzed
    One of the benefits of having large amounts of unemployed people is that its easy to say to a sector threatening industrial action: the unemployed would do your job for less than you get paid - so shut up and lump it.

Pretty sure in full employment there would be people happy enough to drive a tube for less than £45k.

Does seem the tube drivers go on strike a hell of a lot, whilst many people consider they get what appears to be a very good deal. I have some sympathy for some strikes but for tube drivers - none whatsoever.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    How long before this thread degenerates into lefties vs righties?

Right about now.
    JZed wrote:

Pretty sure in full employment there would be people happy enough to drive a tube for less than £45k.

Does seem the tube drivers go on strike a hell of a lot, whilst many people consider they get what appears to be a very good deal. I have some sympathy for some strikes but for tube drivers - none whatsoever.

Ever wonder why they get paid that much? I'd suggest correlation works in this instance.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    As I mentioned to someone in relation to Carkson's comments on The One Show; I'd settle for the compromise of just shooting Bob Crow in front of his family.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • clarkey cat
    Doubtlessly there would be people willing to do my job for alot less than what I earn too.

And probably yours too.
  • jzed
    Ever wonder why they get paid that much?

Militant Union, threatens the daily life of millions of people. LU has to give in. Certainly the case for the Olympics. Or 1.5x that of a bus driver.

Roll on automatic tube trains.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    JZed wrote:
    Roll on automatic tube trains.

No doubt the announcement of these would cause another strike as their jobs are threatened.
  • clarkey cat
    Bloody luddites!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I'm not here to debate whether a job is worth the money a company is willing to pay it's workers. Too many variables. I will say however, that salary is very much a victim of diminishing returns.

I don't think the Tube staff will work harder if they get triple pay as opposed to double pay or time and a half. These aren't servants of society, it's just greed.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    It pisses me off as it makes people less sympathetic to proper strikes/protests like tuition fees and public sector pensions.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It pisses me off as it makes people less sympathetic to proper strikes/protests like tuition fees and public sector pensions.
    Yep. Hard to sympathise with tube drivers too. They're like subterranean cabbies.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Yep. Hard to sympathise with tube drivers too. They're like subterranean cabbies.

Without the necessary road skills.

Oh.........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh.........
    Hey, to be fair, I've never had a problem with a tube on the road
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Regardless of where you fall on the side of the aforementioned examples I'd say those were far greater reasons to strike/protest than the greed displayed by tube drivers who are already generously paid. Time was £42-45K would put you in the 40% middle class tax bracket.

They strike more than any other industry and people have not only become exasperated with them but with stirkes and protests in general thus making the impact of more valid strikes/protest less meaningful. Great work there from their Unions.
    Food Chain number = 4

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Good for them.

At least they get paid alright.

It's not like any of you cyclists pay their wage anyway, so why the anger?
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    They are entitled to strike, its a democratic right. People can either support them or not, but a good start might be to educate yourself as to the reasons they are going on strike. Interestingly, there tends to be very little focus on this and a lot more on "but how am I going to get myself to work that day?".
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    BigMat wrote:
    They are entitled to strike, its a democratic right. People can either support them or not, but a good start might be to educate yourself as to the reasons they are going on strike. Interestingly, there tends to be very little focus on this and a lot more on "but how am I going to get myself to work that day?".

"It my democratic right to shoot them in front of their familes"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    spen666 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Oh.........
    Hey, to be fair, I've never had a problem with a tube on the road

Running on tubeless then? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    spen666 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

"It my democratic right to shoot them in front of their familes"

Like Clarkson, only less funny.
  • DonDaddyD
    Why are they threatening to strike then Mat?
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Triple pay and a day off in lieu for working on a bank holiday?

They gets 43 days' holiday a year, right? 43.

Ask them to work some of the hours a lot of us have to work, which'll also involve working weekends and bank holidays in addition to the silly hours we work in the week, on significantly less holiday a year, and see how they get on.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Serious question....

how hard is it to drive a train?

I'm guessing they don't have steering wheels?

do they have accelerator pedal or is it a button?

surely a trained chimp could drive one?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat

Ask them to work some of the hours a lot of us have to work, which'll also involve working weekends and bank holidays in addition to the silly hours we work in the week, on significantly less holiday a year, and see how they get on.

Do they get internet access thrown in with that? Might swing the deal.
  • clarkey cat
    Would you be a tube driver for £45k and 43 days holiday a year?

I wouldn't.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345

Do they get internet access thrown in with that? Might swing the deal.

Fair play, you got me there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mudcow007
    Would you be a tube driver for £45k and 43 days holiday a year?

I wouldn't.

forgive my "northerness" but, is a tube driver a person who drives a train underground? or does it involve some other special power?
  • clarkey cat

I reckon some people reckon a trained chimp could do your job too. I know some people (clients mainly) reckon a trained chimp could do my job!
  • mudcow007

I reckon some people reckon a trained chimp could do your job too. I know some people (clients mainly) reckon a trained chimp could do my job!

to be fair, most people think im a trained chimp with my hairy ridiculously long arms an my cunning ability to throw faeces.....