Are we confusing new riders with all these MTB 'types'?

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited December 2011 in MTB general
Hello :D

Finally braved the Cwmcarn downhill on Sunday, and met a couple of chaps new to MTBing who made me wonder if we aren't just managing to confuse everyone with trail, freeride, xc, dh bikes etc etc. Saw them at the start getting the uplift in very much xc gear and short travel (I would guess 120mm) hardtails, and thought fair enough, they seemed confident so assumed they were super riders proving a point. After all, 10 years ago people were trundling down trails on rigids etc so why not.

Met them again at the top of our last run, and they commented that they felt a little bit out of their depth, were new to biking, but didn't understand what the different 'styles' of riding were. They admitted that they felt their bikes weren't quite up to the task of the DH trail, so we led them down the final xc descent.

Anyway, fair play to them as they had ridden most of the dh course! It just got me thinking a) is the industry managed to confuse everyone, and b) do people not pay attention to all the BIG signs indicating that it's a DH course and you should have the appropriate bike, body armour, skills etc (they were there, I checked)?

I'm not sure whether I commend their plucky spirity, think they are a bit daft, or am just relived that I didn't have to peel one of them off a rock half way down the DH run :?
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    There is clearly some confusion between a trail that goes downhill/a descent and 'Downhill riding'. There are plenty of threads on here where people have read that X or Y bike or component isn't suitable for DH, so they think they can ride up, but have to walk back down an XC trail.

I don't think 'the industry' is to blame though, it's easy enough to find out what downhill really means.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Discussed in depth here:

viewtopic.php?f=10002&t=12817033

Biking has changed a hell of a lot in the last 15 years, with people riding harder and more agressively. Most DH tracks I know of have disclaimers saying what type of gear is expected. It pays for people to research. And to be honest, 10 mins online research or buying a bike mag would have sorted them out. If they just bought a bike online with no research, more the fool them!
  • miss notax
    Yes, agree most definitely that a bit of research should have sorted them out! Quite frankly, I would have thought the first rock garden would have got them thinking 'F*** this!!!' but there we go.

I am just a bit miffed how they found themselves in that situation - but fair enough if the subjects been done to death! Sorry!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• I still think the answer to your original question is yes, the bike market and "types of riding" are very confusing to anyone that doesn't want to spend days on end studying magazines, talking to shop staff or on the internet. I'm afraid this obsession that the industry (all aspects, manufacturers through to media) have with pigeonholing everyone doesn't help, especially when they find that someone doesn't drop in to a convenient slot or that slot becomes a bit too popular and not "rad" enough then another is created. Oh, it helps sell more bikes and kit as well!

It's exactly the same in other sports. Windsurfing has gone the same way and f**ked itself over completely with a ridiculous variety of boards and sails for different "disciplines" or aspects of the sport.

This point was proven perfectly when on Pitch Hill one day someone asked "so how would you categorise the sort of riding that we're doing? We're not racing, we're not downhilling, we're just enjoying ourselves around all types of terrain, surely we're freeriders?" No-one had the heart to tell about Darren Berrecloth etc. By the same token if we'd decided we were trail riders then I suspect at least half of us would have been on the "wrong" kit according to the media. It's all bollockspeak and hyperbole and people should concentrate on getting out and riding and helping others out, as you did, when things are obviously not quite right!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    miss notax wrote:
    I am just a bit miffed how they found themselves in that situation - but fair enough if the subjects been done to death! Sorry!

Never enough, as long as riders, walkers, horse riders, dog walkers don't take any notice of trail markings there will always be a discussion on the matter.

People like that never hurt themselves always someone else. (usually trying to avoid them)

Bit unfair that reading it back, everyone has a right to be on any trail but common sense should come into it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • supersonic
    Oh, it helps sell more bikes and kit as well!

It helps people get the right kit though. If we didn;t have different sorts of bikes we'd all still be riding 48mm XC bikes with 72 degree head angles like in the 90s. Because a mountain bike is a mountain bike right, and they all do the same job? Plainly not.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Most people just need a 'mountain bike', just a regular joe bike for off roading. They get hyped up, possibly by shops confusing the matter by asking what style of riding they will do before they have even turned a wheel in the dirt, who then sell them an 'aspiration', and not a hobby or decent all rounder. Niches are good, but they are for people who know the nooks and crannies of the sport. I wonder; are shops selling the bikes they think newbs want, what the newbs ask for, or what they think they would get most enjoyment out of...

I agree that downhill and downhilling is the most commonly misused term, and most dangerously confused at that.
  • bluechair84
    supersonic wrote:
    Oh, it helps sell more bikes and kit as well!

It helps people get the right kit though. If we didn;t have different sorts of bikes we'd all still be riding 48mm XC bikes with 72 degree head angles like in the 90s. Because a mountain bike is a mountain bike right, and they all do the same job? Plainly not.

But the term mountain bike still covers the broadest range of styles that one bike could possibly do, and I'd suggest also fits into smaller budgets. A GT avalanche for instance fits the bill perfectly, is there a better bike that fits the term? Someone going in asking for a mountain bike should still be able to come out with one without being disuaded down a niche route by an over-inquisitive sales person - unless they know exactly what they want to do with it.
  • supersonic
    Then that is the shops fault, not the fact we have these bikes. But I find shops like this few and far between and don't see it as a problem.

As in the other thread, we have one extreme which is XC race bikes, the other which are DH and FR bikes: trail and AM bikes are what most people need and sit in the middle. AM for those with harder riding aspirations, trail for those who prefer lighter weight and not so quite hard riding.

Of course there are other niches like 4x riding, trials, jump bikes, but these are pretty obvious is what they do. It is just that the term Mountain Bike has come to encompass a vast array of bikes.

I don't see why anyone with a few minutes reading and a chat in a good shop can figure out what they need very quickly. And if not, then they should test them.

I for one am glad we have different types of bikes as it helps people get the right bike by broadly grouping them together with these tags we see. MTBing has evolved: these bikes reflect that, and the fact we are not all the same or ride the same terrain.
  • bluechair84
    supersonic wrote:
    I for one am glad we have different types of bikes as it helps people get the right bike by broadly grouping them together with these tags we see. MTBing has evolved: these bikes reflect that, and the fact we are not all the same or ride the same terrain.

#nods#
  • Typical example a neighbour of mine who is rather wealthy "Arrrrgghh" saw me cleaning my Zesty out the garden and as ya do we got chatting and to be honest he's a bit of a couch potatoe anyway he was commenting that he would like to get in to MTB and asked what kind I did to which I explained XC and Trail centres.

He then decided he was going to buy a bike and this guy likes to spend so he asked my advice on what to buy as he fancied some of the same riding I do so I let him ride my Zesty 514 and Trance X1 as he's about the same size as me next thing he's going online after me saying I'd go with him to a couple of shops to make the right choice and then try and get cheaper online.

Saturday City Link turn up with his new bike and all the gear coming to a grand total of £5k, he has bought a full on DH Nukeproof, full face lid, body armour the lot so bemused I asked him why he has bought all that when he told me he wanted to do XC and Trail answer I got was "liked the look of this and it was the most expensive on there website so assummed it will do everything" I didn't comment any further as I'd already given him three old MTB mags to wise himself up.

Told me today he rode it on the Taff Trail around our area which to be honest you could ride a road bike on he then tells me he's off to Cwmcarn end of the week to do the Twrch Trail and DH which I advised him was not a good idea but some people you just can't help Oh and by the way I told him that Twrch is quite technical on the uphill to which he replied NAH seen it on You Tube piece of Piss "we'll see
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • wobbem
    wobbem Posts: 283
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Typical example a neighbour of mine who is rather wealthy "Arrrrgghh" saw me cleaning my Zesty out the garden and as ya do we got chatting and to be honest he's a bit of a couch potatoe anyway he was commenting that he would like to get in to MTB and asked what kind I did to which I explained XC and Trail centres.

He then decided he was going to buy a bike and this guy likes to spend so he asked my advice on what to buy as he fancied some of the same riding I do so I let him ride my Zesty 514 and Trance X1 as he's about the same size as me next thing he's going online after me saying I'd go with him to a couple of shops to make the right choice and then try and get cheaper online.

Saturday City Link turn up with his new bike and all the gear coming to a grand total of £5k, he has bought a full on DH Nukeproof, full face lid, body armour the lot so bemused I asked him why he has bought all that when he told me he wanted to do XC and Trail answer I got was "liked the look of this and it was the most expensive on there website so assummed it will do everything" I didn't comment any further as I'd already given him three old MTB mags to wise himself up.

Told me today he rode it on the Taff Trail around our area which to be honest you could ride a road bike on he then tells me he's off to Cwmcarn end of the week to do the Twrch Trail and DH which I advised him was not a good idea but some people you just can't help Oh and by the way I told him that Twrch is quite technical on the uphill to which he replied NAH seen it on You Tube piece of wee-wee "we'll see

Please update us with this story, photos would be most appreciated. :lol:
    Don't think, BE:
  • bluechair84
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:
    Typical example a neighbour of mine who is rather wealthy "Arrrrgghh" saw me cleaning my Zesty out the garden and as ya do we got chatting and to be honest he's a bit of a couch potatoe anyway he was commenting that he would like to get in to MTB and asked what kind I did to which I explained XC and Trail centres.

Told me today he rode it on the Taff Trail around our area which to be honest you could ride a road bike on he then tells me he's off to Cwmcarn end of the week to do the Twrch Trail and DH which I advised him was not a good idea but some people you just can't help Oh and by the way I told him that Twrch is quite technical on the uphill to which he replied NAH seen it on You Tube piece of wee-wee "we'll see

I only need to have an update when he is selling it for 1 quarter it's RRP. Please let me know as I would like to take advantage of this deal.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

+1 I would love to know how this one pans out.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

I only need to have an update when he is selling it for 1 quarter it's RRP. Please let me know as I would like to take advantage of this deal.

apparently even those supposedly in the know do that on here...
  • Reckon I'll be learning to DH very shortly "I do like those Nukeproofs LOL"
  • bluechair84
    lawman wrote:
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

There are some damn good deals around if you know where to look and who to talk to :) I'm an mtbr deal hawk personally.
  • lawman wrote:
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

I've been riding MTB for less than a year, bought a Specialized Hardrock in March, and have since upgraded nearly every part of my bike to suit the style of riding I do. However in June after only a few proper mountain bike rides I was on a holiday in the French Alps and two of the days went to Tignes bikepark, hired a DH bike and donned the full face and body armour and had an amazing time. I was, and still am a beginner but that didn't stop me having a great time on an amazing bike on amazing DH trails. Maybe this guy is a bit of a prat for spending loads of money right off the bat but it sounds like he's got a sweet rig and he's going to ride DH on it. What's the problem?
  • bluechair84
    lawman wrote:
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

I've been riding MTB for less than a year, bought a Specialized Hardrock in March, and have since upgraded nearly every part of my bike to suit the style of riding I do. However in June after only a few proper mountain bike rides I was on a holiday in the French Alps and two of the days went to Tignes bikepark, hired a DH bike and donned the full face and body armour and had an amazing time. I was, and still am a beginner but that didn't stop me having a great time on an amazing bike on amazing DH trails. Maybe this guy is a bit of a prat for spending loads of money right off the bat but it sounds like he's got a sweet rig and he's going to ride DH on it. What's the problem?

You answered your own question. Next.
  • lawman wrote:
    wobbem wrote:
    Stu Coops wrote:

You answered your own question. Next.

Twot. It's a forum, just trying to present an alternative point of view.
  • bluechair84
    Your point of view was the same as mine, he 'might be a bit of a prat'. Whilst I do think that what people do with their own money is up to them, wasting money, not taking advice and subsequently buying the wrong product for his intentions is just plain idiocy.
  • I couldn't agree more with bluechair and to be honest if he go's to Cwmcarn and is stupid enough to attempt the DH then it is more than likely going to result in him hurting himself badly as this guy openly admitted to me that he hasn't rode a bike since he was 15 he is now my age 43, as for your point BDJ that you consider yourself to be still a beginner after a year and now done some DH I totally understand where your coming from but there is a huge gap between a year of experience and one week which consists of 2hrs riding before going to CC, just madness in my opinion.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    No, we should definitely invent a few more catagories:

SS - Stealth Style, bike designed for sneaking along footpaths and riding places you're not supposed to pedal.
    AW - All Weather, bike designed for all weather riding.
    SB - Sunday Best, bike designed to be bought but not ridden because you're too afraid it'll get scratched.
    RC - RetroCore, bike designed using the latest technology but disguised to look like an 80s / 90s ridgid frame...
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    ... and make people sit a written exam before buying their bike. Questions to include:
    HT or FS, which is best? Discuss using multiple exclamation marks and wild generalisations.
    Tubes or tubeless? Give at least three anecdotes and one picture or vivid description of an injury.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    sounds like the old classic sometimes often overlloked catagory of atgni.. (all the gear no idea)

may be you should point this neighbour northwards sounds like he would fit right in at leequarry.. i see this kind of thing nearly every weekend...
    whats even better is when you get their friend who read an article in a mag telling him to just do this or that. push the bike away from you so you come off the back of the bike lock your arms and legs..
    or push down on your forks and pull up on that drop. or pull the front wheel up.. and they wonder why they crash.

then it's time to wait for the air ambulance or the mountain rescue.. i lost count of how many time the lancashire air ambulance was up lee quarry this summer at least every over week..
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Your point of view was the same as mine, he 'might be a bit of a prat'. Whilst I do think that what people do with their own money is up to them, wasting money, not taking advice and subsequently buying the wrong product for his intentions is just plain idiocy.
    obviously if he can go out and waste 5K on a bike and gear,he's got money to burn, as for going to this place and that, saying he wants to try downhill, doesn't mean he's going to set off balls to the wall, more likely he'll be giving the brakes overtime and end up scaring himself silly before he does too much damage, but then some people, you never do know :)
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    wordnumb wrote:
    No, we should definitely invent a few more catagories:

SS - Stealth Style, bike designed for sneaking along footpaths and riding places you're not supposed to pedal.
    AW - All Weather, bike designed for all weather riding.
    SB - Sunday Best, bike designed to be bought but not ridden because you're too afraid it'll get scratched.
    RC - RetroCore, bike designed using the latest technology but disguised to look like an 80s / 90s ridgid frame...
    That sounds suspiciously like roadie talk!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I think on this we ahve to take into account the human race...

Most people are either a bit thick or a bit lazy and it amounts to the same thing in the end, lazy to not do an hours research ont here own for there safety/finacial benefit (this i believe is the majority) or to stupid IE they just don't understand what there reading.

Both types are dangerous to others in my veiw.
  • miss notax
    Sadly, I think you are probably right about that Waylander!! :?

• Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    I have met a few of the "buy the most expensive kit in the world" types, there was a guy at Cwmcarn when we did the uplift, it was my first experience and i had good pads, full face and my stumpjumper, he had OPrange Patriot, a Full matching Fox DH race outfit and a £300 helmet, he set of before us and trundled, i mean trundled down the trail. So much so that when i set off giving him 5 mins start i caught him up on the switch backs and he stopped in the middle of the track to let me back. This continued most of the morning, him getting in the way dangerously and then at lunch time he was bragging to some mates of his that he was nailing the jumps sweetly! :shock:

in response to the original post i dod think that the industry does try to confuse matters, but at the same time there are so many styles of riding which is all down to personal choice, i mean i aint a DH'er not in the slightest, i'd sh1te myself if i went to the alps i reckon, but i would like to think that i could one day build up to it. Unfortunately people want/need instant gratification and buy the best kit.

end of the day though All the gear No idea Dave down the road spending £5k is putting money into our sport, that we love, fair play to him the more of them types the more cheaper 2nd hand bikes are around and the impact on new price might be profound........