Where are you spending Xmas day?

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited December 2011 in Commuting chat
No reason, just interested.

Comments

• clarkey cat
    We're at the in-laws. Last year we were at home with the newborn - and had no visitors. I loved it, I even managed to win at scrabble.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    quiet one this year, my mrs has fallen out wither her mum so they wont be coming around for Christmas dinner. And my parents are working :(
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • We're at the in-laws. Last year we were at home with the newborn - and had no visitors. I loved it, I even managed to win at scrabble.
    Only because you disallowed the newborn's "beddy-byes" on triple word score.... :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • In-laws are coming round, first Christmas in our new house :-)
  • clarkey cat
    Only because you disallowed the newborn's "beddy-byes" on triple word score....

And of course, shifting that many letters would have bagged him a 50 point bonus. So I had to put my foot down and not allow any punctuation - even though he had cleverly used a blank where the hyphen would have been.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    No reason, just interested.

Planning on doing some burglaring? :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    In-laws are coming round, first Christmas in our new house :-)
    In-laws are coming round, first Christmas in our new house here too! At least it should be - supposed to be completing on the house next week.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    when i wake up it will be 90mins with my bike to ride from my parents to my flat then the rest of the day will be spent in my boxers on the lounge watching crap on tv.

dont celebrate xmas.
  • clarkey cat
    spasypaddy.

*hugs*
  • At home with my family, drinking Champagne Cocktails.

Ain't tradition great?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Working from home......allot of people I work with do not celebrate Xmas. Intend to have a quiet day at home with the famaily and minimal intrusion.
    Then I am escalation mgr for NYE....sh1te.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'd vote but there isn't an option for "OTHER" - none of these options fit for me
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • clarkey cat
    go on, Spen. Spill the beans, what are you doing?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy.

*hugs*
    im jewish. its not my festival. dont expect christians to celebrate passover and stuff. im only at my parents because i tend to go out xmas eve around their area with my mates who havent moved out.

my housemate is going back up north to see his family for xmas so i'll have the flat to myself. PS3 in the lounge, sky sports on. Happy days!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Working from home......allot of people I work with do not celebrate Xmas. Intend to have a quiet day at home with the famaily and minimal intrusion.

Escalation management - that sounds like trying to get the littl'un upstairs for bed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clarkey cat
    im jewish. its not my festival. dont expect christians to celebrate passover and stuff. im only at my parents because i tend to go out xmas eve around their area with my mates who havent moved out.

my housemate is going back up north to see his family for xmas so i'll have the flat to myself. PS3 in the lounge, sky sports on. Happy days!

Fair enough!

The *hugs* still stand though.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    go on, Spen. Spill the beans, what are you doing?

friends?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • With some of the mrs's family - her aunt & uncle are having various members round. Last few years we've hosted people so it'll be a relief to not have to do anything more energetic than walk round there and eat.
  • clarkey cat
    sorry Spen - I was going to do that (to accommodate our antipodean friends) but I forgot.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    In-laws for me.
    It seems like Xmas is a big deal for them all and people are coming from far and wide.
    I'm very bah humbug with the whole thing, but they are big drinkers, so I'll just get myself under the affluence of incahol asap and make up silly games with the kids.
    Now I think about it, this could be quite difficult. Getting drunk enough so that the whole day doesn't seem like one long chore, but staying sober enough so that I'm useful when I'm called upon. They're not a big TV watching family, so PS3/films/DVDs are probably all off the menu. It could be a very long day

I've already told Mrs EKE and her mum that I won't be going to church with them (cue the disapproving looks), so I'm on Granny sitting duty. Lets hope she doesn't pop her clogs on my watch, eh?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    rjsterry wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Escalation management - that sounds like trying to get the littl'un upstairs for bed.

Oh yes! The tantrum is quite spectacular.....like all good managers, in the end I cave in.....

;-)
  • clarkey cat
    I used to be quite belligerent about not going to church but I quite enjoy it now. Sometimes I go on a random Sunday for a sing-song. I'm an atheist but quite enjoy the community feeling and the moments of reflection.
  • EKE_38BPM
    I used to be quite belligerent about not going to church but I quite enjoy it now. Sometimes I go on a random Sunday for a sing-song. I'm an atheist but quite enjoy the community feeling and the moments of reflection.

Whatever floats your boat.
    You can take Granny to the church with the rest of the family and I'll go round Spen's (hopefully he'll be wearing more than just boxers though) and we can play PS3 all day. Its how I'd prefer to Spen-d the day. See what I did there?

• Eke,

Sounds like a game of charades is in the offing...

Not sure what the score will be at the house we're going to, but hopefully either putting on the 2 ronnies so I can go to sleep or playing Singstar with the young 'uns will be on the cards. Any game that involves effort or thought, and doesn't involve the telly, will be most unwelcome.
  • spasypaddy
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

You can take Granny to the church with the rest of the family and I'll go round Spen's (hopefully he'll be wearing more than just boxers though) and we can play PS3 all day. Its how I'd prefer to Spen-d the day. See what I did there?
    im the one only wearing boxers. spens going out to his mates.
  • I'm toying with the idea of going on a social ride in London before popping up to the SE suburbs to see how my granddaughter gets on with unwrapping her new toddlebike - she just loves wrapping paper! Then home to a bottle of cognac.

I did a night pootle around Westminster last Sunday/Monday and I really enjoyed the traffic-light riding. Traffic must be even lighter on Christmas day - could be perfect for a sociable ride.
  • EKE_38BPM
    spasypaddy wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Oops. My 'witty pun' doesn't work now. You're just round the corner from me too. I could walk to yours, instead, I'll be driving out to the sticks.

• spasypaddy
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Oops. My 'witty pun' doesn't work now. You're just round the corner from me too. I could walk to yours, instead, I'll be driving out to the sticks.
    moved to wembley last week so although i now get to ride every day i cant walk to work!
  • I'm toying with the idea of going on a social ride in London before popping up to the SE suburbs to see how my granddaughter gets on with unwrapping her new toddlebike - she just loves wrapping paper! Then home to a bottle of cognac.

I did a night pootle around Westminster last Sunday/Monday and I really enjoyed the traffic-light riding. Traffic must be even lighter on Christmas day - could be perfect for a sociable ride.

When I were a lad, only 20-odd years ago really, if you drove somewhere on Christmas day there'd be almost nobody around. Now, possibly as a result of the fragmentation of traditional family arrangements, or possibly just more cars on the road in general, or possibly some other reason, the roads are always quite busy I find. Last year I had to drive through Catford to pick up the in-laws and sat in traffic for chuffing ages.

However, in central London you'd expect it to be reasonably quiet in fairness. It's a pretty good idea actually, I may do the same myself - if nothing else, may get some clear runs for attacking Strava segments! :twisted:

A while back I saw a website where a guy had cycled up to central London on either Christmas day or New Years day and taken photos of famous landmarks, totally empty of people. Looked pretty magical.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Going to the in-laws.

Was going to be my folks, but they decided that a month in Florida was a much better proposition.

Anyway, the day will be something along the lines of:

Get up
    Massive breakfast
    Church
    Start cooking / drinking (all activities from this point will include wine or gin and tonic)
    Lunch
    Presents
    Reading / dog walk / TV / talking
    Supper
    Reading / TV / talking
    Bed

Not going to be much different from any other weekend at the in-laws really, and that's why I'm looking forward to it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX