Newbie Bike Building

Comments

• PaulC7
    PaulC7 Posts: 112
    Tool wise thats not a problem... i think, ive bought myself a bike tool kit and also i have many
    tools needed for doing car repairs so hopefully i shouldnt need to spend out on any more.

Ok ive bought what seems to be a rubbish frame and a heavy one but till i ride an aluminium bike
    i wont know if ive made the right choice (although i im sure i havent by your comments)
    and ive yet to figure out if i can but the parts needed so that may be another mistake i know.

Bottom Bracket... 3.5cm... 1.37 inches
    Fork Stem... 3.3cm... 1.29 inches
    Seat post... 3.0cm... 1.18 inches

So will keep looking out for an aluminium frame if that will be the right choice.
  • PaulC7 wrote:
    Tool wise thats not a problem... i think, ive bought myself a bike tool kit and also i have many
    tools needed for doing car repairs.

Bottom Bracket... 3.5cm... 1.37 inches
    Fork Stem... 3.3cm... 1.29 inches
    Seat post... 3.0cm... 1.18 inches

Hi I think you need to understand what people are telling you,The tool list to build a bike has been posted,you cant just use a "bike tool kit and some car tools"

Dont take this the wrong way butI think you need to buy a second hand bike of a better spec than you have and ride it as im not sure you are yet capable of building a bike.
    Also your measurments will need to be accurate as parts like seat posts come in .1mm size differences.

On the flip side everybody has to start somewhere and if you want to build a bike yourself then start listening to people as they ARE trying to help,and I totally agree about the frame you have bought its rubbish! a good frame builds a good bike and it doesnt have to be the most expensive.

Take your time and maybe save a little more money as £500 wont get you much these days!
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    IMO i'd wipe my mouth and start again by buying a decent second hand or new bike.
    Ride it, upgrade it, maintain it, buying tools as you need them as you go along.
    You'll soon learn the in's and out's, everyone's right you will not do anything with that frame.
    Nicolai CC
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited January 2012
    Right then, a little list:
    Handsome Dog frame £55
    Rockshox Recon Silver TK forks* £125
    Brakes, gears and wheels for £335

So that's over £500 already, I know it's new stuff but it's cheaper/good value stuff.

Bars: £11
    Seatpost £20
    Stem £13

so ~£550

Then a saddle: £20+
    Tyres and tubes: £30+
    Headset and fitting:£30+
    Pedals: £20+
    Grips, cables, grease, tools, paying the shop to fit the headset & face the BB...

You might as well just buy this or this.
    *Edit: or go for a rigid fork: http://carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=92&p=832& for £70, lighter, cheaper and not a problem if most of your riding is fairly smooth.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Ok now... being serious.

For £500 there is not much point in building your own bike as it won't be as good as anything you can buy for that cash, or it will all have to be second hand kit which you will need a good eye to spot a piece of crap and stuff may need servicing before fitting (2 things you seem incapable of, as you don't seem to listed to any advice on here).

Buy something GOOD, like the Decathlon Rockrider, ride it and learn how to maintain and keep it in good working order.
    You will still learn how a bike works, gain more experience and will then be in a better position to build you own machine once you understand how much this hobby actually costs.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/81-2011-id_8168695.html

Please don't spend £500 building up the frame you have bought, you may as well set fire to the £500.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Ok now... being serious.

For £500 there is not much point in building your own bike as it won't be as good as anything you can buy for that cash, or it will all have to be second hand kit which you will need a good eye to spot a piece of crap and stuff may need servicing before fitting (2 things you seem incapable of, as you don't seem to listed to any advice on here).

Buy something GOOD, like the Decathlon Rockrider, ride it and learn how to maintain and keep it in good working order.
    You will still learn how a bike works, gain more experience and will then be in a better position to build you own machine once you understand how much this hobby actually costs.

Please don't spend £500 building up the frame you have bought, you may as well set fire to the £500.

X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7, etc, etc.........
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    and that does not mean buy some SRAM X? kit - not that you'd listen anyways.
  • PaulC7
    So for £500 im not going to make anything decent and with the frame i got that will be even harder.

so what about this... would i also be a fool to get one of these and learn with it.

Carrera Limited Edition
  • As a rule, buying a full suspension bike under 1k is going to have a compromised spec (unless you find a good deal).
    Remember they have factor in the cost of a rear shock, so other components suffer.

That Carrera has poor components in comparison to the Decathlon hardtail.

The Decathlon will ride better.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    PaulC7 wrote:
    So for £500 im not going to make anything decent and with the frame i got that will be even harder.

so what about this... would i also be a fool to get one of these and learn with it.

Carrera Limited Edition
    Stop looking at full suspension. That Carrera is poor and should be an Apollo, unless you've got £800+ to spend, a Full sus is a bad idea.

Look at what people have already suggested. Even look at the Carrera Subways.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The cheapest full suspension bike I have seen that is worth spending any money on is the Mongoose Teocali Comp for £600 from Pauls Cycles.

Only a small and medium in stock and they're £600.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p2162
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I did spend a fair bit of time reading through this forum but most of it seems to be technical and not easy for a novice to understand hence why i joined up in the hope hope of getting things cleared and and learning along the way.

It is not easy and it is technical! It can take time to learn, but you must listen to learn.
  • PaulC7
    Ok so im scrapping the idea of building up the frame i bought and will buy a new of the shelf
    bike or find a second hand bike either full or just front suspension.

If i was to buy new im looking at halfords as i can pay a nice deposit then few installments...
    would be looking at a carrera.

Or if i was to buy a secondhand one what bike would you go for?

If i was to buy secondhand tomorrow my budget would be £180... can add more once ive saved a bit.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy a carrera and get riding and having fun with your kids, rather than scratching your head for the near future until you do learn. Amen.
  • Actually, if you're dead set on a budget ful suspension and you're under 5'10" then Paul's Cycles have the Giant Yukon FX2 in Small/15" or Medium/17" for only £375: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b4s1p1747

Ok, it won't be as good as something costing a grand, but a mate of mine bought one and you know what, it's not half bad... Usual Giant quality frame, Shimano hydraulic discs, air rear shock, WTB rims, Kenda Nevegal tyres, SRAM X5 kit. Only thing I'd really say needs upgrading is the fork but even then it'll do a beginner just fine.

Sorted :)
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    PaulC7 wrote:
    Ok so im scrapping the idea of building up the frame i bought and will buy a new of the shelf

Yipee!!!!!!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    PaulC7 wrote:
    And there's me thinking we were gonna get 20 pages outa this thread...
    Nicolai CC
  • PaulC7
    I maybe clueless but im not hopeless.

Should i just go get a carrera, maybe a mongoose secondhand...

or...

are there other good makes i should look for?

I found these two carreras.

carrera banshee

carrera vengeance

mongoose teocali

other possibilities...

fuji outland

Specialized Hardrock

What are your thoughts?.. i really am listening.
  • Ok, starting from the top of the list:

Carrera #1: Horrible, heavy, overpriced, nasty, tacky, cheap piece of junk.

Carrera #2: A step in the right direction. Too much money for what it is though.

Mongoose: Pretty good bike if you can get it for the right price. Would have been the cheap side of £800 when brand new 6 years ago, so depending on condition, maybe 2-300.

Fuji: Never in a million years was this £500 when new! There are better bikes within your budget. I'd not pay more than £50-80 for that, and that's if it was being posted to me.

Hardrock: Decent frame (well worth upgrading), there are better specced bikes available when new, but at £200, it's not a bad price. 21 speed is a bit of a drawback, bit of an outdated system.

It's been said before, but Decathalon make some very good budget bikes.
  • <ahem>

See link to Giant above...

;)
  • PaulC7
    Well today i popped back to halfords for a few car and bike bits but this time i had a good look at the bikes
    and after much looking and thinking i decided to put a deposit down on this...

Carrera Titan Limited Edition

Hope you all like.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    TBH no. You should have listened to Bails87 advice earlier in the thread. My advice would be to transfer the deposit to a Carrera hardtail
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But the best of the lot was the Decathlon
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • PaulC7
    Well i did also look at...

Carrera Vulcan

But there was just something about the Titan and i guess the knock down price caught my attention.

I know my budget for building was about £500 but that would be getting parts here and there over some time
    i put a deposit today will be paying a whole lot more tomorrow then the rest within two or three weeks so get
    get on with riding a proper decent bike and learning about it instead of persisting with the Dunlop.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Lol. Me thinks you are a little too image obsessed. Likes the look of a rear suspension bike (probably thinks it looks manly and rugged) and isn't going to be put off by the fact it's crap, with pretty poor forks and frame (heavy too). Bit like buying a kit car because it looks like a Lamborgini, when in fact it's got a Ford fiesta under the hood. A "As long as it looks the business and i'll look cool riding it... who cares" kinda guy.

Reminds me or a work colleague last year who wanted a full sus from Halfords. I had the exact same conversation with him that most of you are having on here (managed to sell him my old Hardtail for £150.... worth a lot more than that but i seriously didn't want the guy getting one of those cheap suspension frame clunkers from Halfords).

So.... Listen to the advice these guys are giving you. Any daydreams your having about sailing down the side of mountains on butch, rugged looking full suspension mountain bikes just isn't going to happen on that frame with those forks and that rear suspension system. Your just going to end up lugging around a couple of kilograms of dead weight that doesn't actually seem to do much (except get you suitably knackered)...... Oh! And those breaks wont do much of a job of stopping you either (for various reasons it would take too long to explain).

Get the Rockrider, save yourself several KG of weight, with a more responsive front fork and better gears/breaks that can actually zip about an offroad course with some semblance of agility.
  • cooldad
    PaulC7 wrote:
    But there was just something about the Titan and i guess the knock down price caught my attention.
    ...so get get on with riding a proper decent bike and learning about it instead of persisting with the Dunlop.

Halfords style is to post random prices - that was never worth more than you paid, probably not even half that.
    Seriously, and I promise this is the last time I will post in this thread, don't do it - it isn't a proper, decent bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    PaulC7 wrote:
    ...so get get on with riding a proper decent bike and learning about it instead of persisting with the Dunlop.

Halfords style is to post random prices - that was never worth more than you paid, probably not even half that.
    Seriously, and I promise this is the last time I will post in this thread, don't do it - it isn't a proper, decent bike.
    come on it isn't that bad, it could almost be a ZESTY apart from the spec and the frame :lol: , lets get real it doesn't matter if there's 5 pages or 55 to this thread, it wont make any difference, he still wont listen to the advice given
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • You know what - you obviously have in mind what sort of bike you want and no amount of advice to the contrary will persuade you that it's not a good idea so I'll just say that I hope you enjoy the bike and enjoy riding it. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    get on with riding a proper decent bike

What makes you think you have done that? It doesn't have a bad spec, but is extremely heavy and has no damping in the rear shock so will be like a pogo stick.

Amnot having a go, it seems that we have all wasted our time a bit trying to guide you.