Let the snow forecasts BEGIN!

Comments

• It's been snowing or most of the day though not seemingly getting deeper - temperature is dropping now so what we have is likely to stay and any new stuff will probably accummulate on that. I'm feeling like I've got the bug that's going round so I don't think I'll be on the bike anyway tomorrow.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Yeah snowing on and off here as well. And now it's dark there is a light dusting lying on the ground.

Amd I just got new tyres as well :(
  • It's just getting colder 'round these parts now... I feel the cold on my hands and feet very easily: hence the MW80s; Now I just have to work out whether I'm going to need the proper cold weather gloves (tips of my fingers were suffering on Friday) or if I can get away with the lighter full fingered gloves and liners...

A friend from Lossie has photos of settling snow 'round her place now - looks very wintery!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Not seen the lawn all day. Now very cold.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • My Weather Forecast widget just changed to Snow Showers..... errr......
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    hint of winter this morning.

we had hail stone basically all night last night, it got that bad at one point it set the car alarm off :shock:

it was sludgy on the track i use to commute on, but i did see a guy in t shirt an shorts
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • 4-5" of snow here and still snowing hard. I'm feeling rough as old boots so tucked up indoors watching it out of the window. It's probably at the point here where I wouldn't have risked the bike. If I feel any better later, I'd like just to test the Marathon Winters in this stuff to see how they compare with Ice Spikers.
  • suzyb
    Same where I live (and chaotic traffic thanks to a few brooken down vehicles 7 miles away) however the Falkirk area is almost snow free :evil:
  • Here's one I took earlier

Snow1Dec11.jpg
  • Wish I had a better camera - I should buy one really as I miss loads of beautiful scenes right out of my window. Love these colours

Snow2Dec11.jpg
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    One of my customers near Nottingham tells me it's snowing where he is. Not even close to getting snow around here. But there were lots of frozen puddles as I was riding through the park this morning.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Very jealous of the snowy pic's looks a great place to live and cycle.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    One of my customers near Nottingham tells me it's snowing where he is. Not even close to getting snow around here. But there were lots of frozen puddles as I was riding through the park this morning.

Must be the other side of Nottingham to me... it's all blue skies here.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    Blidworth, a little to the north as I recall.
  • Tried the Marathon Winters in the snow. First impressions are these:

- I think the narrower width (than the Ice Spikers I used last winter) gives better traction by penetrating deeper into the snow and providing less wedging of snow under the tyre
    - lateral grip in the snow seemed to be less good than the Ice Spikers, possibly for similar reasons and possibly because the Marathons are less knobbly
    - certainly can handle deeper snow than the Ice Spikers.
    - the CX is less forgiving of the ruts and bumps - probably need to drop the pressures in the tyres in these conditions - especially at the front.

Want to try a proper ride - maybe later in the week.
  • OK I'm bored of the snow already.

It's still snowing.

Enough already
  • mudcow007
    still hail stoning off and on here in liverpool, not a sniff of snow though
    i want snow god dammit
  • Heavy snow this morning again - another 3" or so. Drove in as I had an 8am call and a have dinner this evening. Not sure I'd have cycled though anyway as the snow is approaching that depth that's just too difficult. School buses are off for our village.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,996
    Torvid wrote:
    Well you say that, but it was cloudy and blowing a gale for 2 1/2 out of the 3 hours of daylight.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Snow is so yesterday. Get with where it's at - rain and gales :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Torvid wrote:
    Well you say that, but it was cloudy and blowing a gale for 2 1/2 out of the 3 hours of daylight.

LMAO - it's not quite that bad.

More snow again last night. Another day when I can't cycle because I need to be home early to take my son out. Wish me luck as I'm having to take the RWD Merc on summer tyres - I will be lucky to get it out of our road. I'd much rather be attempting the ride. That will have to wait until tomorrow.
  • The snow on the roof of the Merc (which hasn't budged since it started snowing) was 8" deep which gives some idea (compression and some melting allowed for) how much there's been in total since Sunday.

One or two interesting moments but I got here (it'd downhill most of the way - getting back might be fun)
  • veronese68
    How far is it? If you tie nylon rope around the tyres it should get you up a few hills before falling to pieces. Kind of emergency DIY snow chains. But you're probably well aware of that particular lash up.
  • Seems to be warming up - snow is more like rain now and we're at the dizzy heights of 3C. Mind you, the wind has picked up too - gusting to 45mph from nearer 10mph 2 hours ago. Quite glad not to be on the bike in some ways...
  • mudcow007
    Veronese68 wrote:
    How far is it? If you tie nylon rope around the tyres it should get you up a few hills before falling to pieces. Kind of emergency DIY snow chains. But you're probably well aware of that particular lash up.

thats a good shout

when all the snow was down late last year me an my mrs went to the in-laws cottage in Ffestiniog (Wales) its quite high up there so if there's any snow, they will get it on the way to the cottage the temp dropped to ....

IMG00069-20101128-1741.jpg

an we ended up getting stuck for about 40 mins, i ended up having to let air out of the tyres

being stuck for 40 odd mins in the middle of no where is scary, i had rope in the boot aswell
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Raining in Zurich right now. But then I haven't got a bike with me so that is an entirely random comment.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • mudcow007
    This weather forecast website seems to be pretty accurate

Click
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Very good, like.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • suzyb
    And the snow is falling again :(

Isn't lying as yet though so lets hope it stays that way.