Friday QT: why are men expected to pay £1k +

Comments

• Greg66 wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    In 2007, the average cost of an engagement ring in USA as reported by the industry was US$2,100.[4]"

given you work in the IT industry since when is $2,100 = 3 months salary? :D But yeah - so it's down to marketing adds from a company heavily investing in wanting to remove money from mens wallets...

it's a conspiracy!

Why do I get the feeling that you're feeling the heat that comes from staring at jewellers' windows ... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

to late for that but not at all - lady in question has no real knowledge of rings at all - was slightly bizarre...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Guy in the office put it quite well.

"It's all very well asking for me to pay a months salary on the ring. I guess she won't mind paying her share of the rent that month then?"

May I suggest if your witty pal is living hand to mouth then perhaps he can't afford to get married?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,795
    Guy in the office put it quite well.

"It's all very well asking for me to pay a months salary on the ring. I guess she won't mind paying her share of the rent that month then?"

May I suggest if your witty pal is living hand to mouth then perhaps he can't afford to get married?

Woah, Pal?

His issue is that he's the only breadwinner, so why is she making financial demands of him?
  • clarkey cat
    they don't sound well suited.
  • rick_chasey
    they don't sound well suited.
    :lol:

No they're very well suited.

They both care A LOT about how much he's earning!
  • Guy in the office put it quite well.

Woah, Pal?

His issue is that he's the only breadwinner, so why is she making financial demands of him?

Well, by the sound of it his resentment at being the sole breadwinner would slowly tear their marriage apart anyway, so I still wouldn't advise going ahead with it.
  • clarkey cat
    Do they have kids?
  • I didn't think 4 grand was that much. I was actually being thrifty.

meep :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    Look, let's get this cleared up before it gets serious.

1) He's about as '80s city boy as you can get.

2) She is a proper Fulham - made in chelsea type. You know the type.

Do I really need to explain this more?
  • clarkey cat
    if he is such a big swinging dick why is he still renting?

sounds like a middle office chump flashing other people's cash.
  • if he is such a big swinging dick why is he still renting?

Yeah, that's right Rick.

Now *you* are going to get castigated for knowing a chump! That's how it works, see.

Chump-knower!
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    As said previously - I think it is supposed to be a months salary.
    My wifes eng ring was £xxxx expensive....however, the engagement ring purchased for me was £80 and my wife was a barrister at the time....I think I got screwed over!
  • rick_chasey
    if he is such a big swinging dick why is he still renting?

:lol:

Welcome to the world of City head hunting.

(Headhunter excluded obviously...)
  • clarkey cat
    woah woah woah... lets take a step back...

engagement ring FOR YOU?
  • clarkey cat
    Welcome to the world of City head hunting.

(Headhunter excluded obviously...)

IT. ALL. BECOMES. CLEAR.
  • woah woah woah... lets take a step back...

engagement ring FOR YOU?

I assume he meant a new chainset for his bike. At that price, looks like she went Tiagra. 105, tops.
  • rick_chasey
    Haha.

Is my stock falling here?

To be honest to whoever is getting an engagement ring, you're lucky to be getting a ring at all. You're not in a position to comment on how much it costs, let alone demand.
  • clarkey cat
    if my missus bought me shimano components I'd nut her.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Seems like a good idea to me. One off huge waste of money = a lifetime of 'well, that Colnago with Super Record is much cheaper than your engagement ring'.

Of course, I realise I am applying logic here and that doesn't work on women so please ignore this post.......

You could also try the geological observation that far from being forever, Diamonds are unstable at normal atmospheric pressure - unlike Zircon which is about the oldest material known to man!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

You could also try the geological observation that far from being forever, Diamonds are unstable at normal atmospheric pressure - unlike Zircon which is about the oldest material known to man!

You could.

Shortly afterwards things would become dark, muffled and very smelly; as your now ex-fiancée shoved your head up your poop-chute
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    I didn't think 4 grand was that much. I was actually being thrifty.

F88k me, that's thrifty? Are you Bill Gates???

I spent one month's salary. Well, one month when I was 22...and Mrs SecretSam was perfectly happy with the ring. She would have gone berserk if I'd spent the price of a nice holiday/decent car/etc on a ring.

Platinum, BTW.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    I spent nearly 4 grand on my missus' engagement ring.
    4 grand, and it wasn't Vietnamese Dong or Colombian pesos? ;) Crikey, that's a lot, not many people would call it 'thrifty'!
  • clarkey cat
    She would have gone berserk if I'd spent the price of a nice holiday/decent car/etc on a ring.

I'm sure she would.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    go to India an get the engagement ring made for you, plus you get a much higher spec of diamond

when my Mrs turned 25 all of her family (& me) gave her money as she wanted to buy a ring. she spent £1500 on a ring in India, for insurance purposes we had the ring valued when we got home (and to check we didn't buy a bit of glass) an the ring was valued at £4500 :shock:
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    Insurance valuations provided by jewellers are always about 40% higher than actual sale value - but you still got a bargain.

How much were your flights?
  • As others have said, I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of the ring (if she's a nice girl, she won't mind).

If budgets are limited then you may wish to consider a second hand / antique ring - you can get more ring for your money that way.

As for clarkey cat's spend, I once met a girl who had an ENORMOUS engagement ring and I stuttered "wow. that's quite a ring" (or some such eloquent remark). Her fiancé then proudly told me it had cost him £180k. I thought he was a knob for bragging and for spending such a ridiculous sum on a bloody ring. That's more than my flat. Indeed more than most people's homes. She was terrified of losing it and turned the stone inwards when she walked anywhere so as not to get mugged.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Insurance valuations provided by jewellers are always about 40% higher than actual sale value - but you still got a bargain.

How much were your flights?

£300 each, we made a bit of a holiday out of it

we have been a few times now, flights to Goa seem to be pretty cheap around feb as its coming to the end of their season
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    In my office I'd say I have spent (or been spent on) the least, or near the least, on an engagement ring out of everyone.
  • rick_chasey
    In my office I'd say I have spent (or been spent on) the least, or near the least, on an engagement ring out of everyone.

People don't always tell the truth about the price of expensive stuff!
  • clarkey cat
    True - but I have a rough idea how much a 1.5 carat platinum diamond ring from Tiffany's costs... and that is de rigeur here.