This is just stupid

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That's not the point. You used Google as an example of a website that doesn't automatically open a new tab.

I explained why (from a Business standpoint) Google doesn't and shouldn't (automatically) open pages in new tabs and why Bikeradar should.
    Except you didn't really explain it did you? What you wrote made no sense :|
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Now then chaps. There seems to be an idea growing that this is a 'big deal'. It's not, but its a bit more bothersome the new way compared to how we all did it the old way, and as has already been stated, I don't recall a clamour from users to introduce more mouse clicks before this new approach.

If you habitually Ctrl+ Click or middle click or stay logged on all the time on every device you access BR from, good for you. A lot of us don't do any of the above. All forums that I've ever faffed about on have always opened links in a new tab or window; having to middle click isn't the end of the world unless your mouse is like mine and the middle click on one doesn't seem to work and on the other it's actually a button on the side that's just out of reach of my thumb. When perfectly ergonomic 100% reliable mice are the norm it might be better but for now that's not the case. As for staying logged on; I don't. I don't want someone who borrows my machine or comes in here to see what I do when I have 5 mins spare etc [even tho I fully accept that someone somewhere has a full log of my BR visits], and at home I have the same approach. It also keeps me from wasting too much time here tbh, not being logged on full time.

There is a difference in why a web site would want to send you to a new tab instead of staying in the same one, and that differs depending on context. Google & news sites do suit the paradigm of moving you on on the the same tab. By tradition, custom and errr... a third thing probably, forums don't. Forums - like we said a few weeks ago - are the equivalent of a bunch of people idly chatting about something & nothing and one of us says ' here - look out the window at his buffoon', and we have a look out and then come back here, rather than going down the corridor, down the lift and outside to see it. Bad analogy in the end, but hey ho.

Bring back the default forum behaviour of link = new tab. Not a big deal, but enough to be a bit annoying.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited November 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I explained why (from a Business standpoint) Google doesn't and shouldn't (automatically) open pages in new tabs and why Bikeradar should.

But you don't necessarily have all the information for others to believe your view is the correct one while ignoring others (still) gently reminding you of this.

:roll:

Advice:
    Why don't you post your view/opinion on the actual subject as oppose to focusing your attention on trying to tell me I'm wrong without actually focusing on the points in my argument.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    drays wrote:
    or, you could click the middle mouse button...

one click, opens in new tab 8)

New worlds have opened :shock:

Bah, I'd need to evolve a finger between my index and middle (swearing) finger. That or hold my mouse differently.

How old are you, 5? Who uses a mouse like that?

Aren't you supposed to be a PC Gamer?!?!

The left button is covered by my index finger. The right button is covered by my middle finger. The left shoulder button is covered by my thumb. My ring finger covers the right shoulder button.

Am I doing it wrong? :shock:

This (presumably) girl knows how to hold a mouse properly:

fingers-go-numb-when-using-a-computer-mouse-3.jpg
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    That's not the point. You used Google as an example of a website that doesn't automatically open a new tab.

WTF.

Google is a SEARCH ENGINE

It directs traffic to other websites.

Bikeradar is a website

Bikeradar works on the basis that people stay and use the website. Google work on the principle that people leave google and go to another website.

Google survives on the basis that users go to a listed website and no other. A forced tab system would be counter-productive to this. Bikeradar survives on the basis that people stay and use the website.

If Google opened links of websites in a new tab it be counterproductive to the whole ranking systems. If Bikeradar drives users away from the website it would be counterproductive.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    drays wrote:
    or, you could click the middle mouse button...

one click, opens in new tab 8)

New worlds have opened :shock:

Bah, I'd need to evolve a finger between my index and middle (swearing) finger. That or hold my mouse differently.

How old are you, 5? Who uses a mouse like that?

Aren't you supposed to be a PC Gamer?!?!

The left button is covered by my index finger. The right button is covered by my middle finger. The left shoulder button is covered by my thumb. My ring finger covers the right shoulder button.

Am I doing it wrong? :shock:

This (presumably) girl knows how to hold a mouse properly:

fingers-go-numb-when-using-a-computer-mouse-3.jpg
    Holding a mouse like is both unnatural and unholy!

However, that American Pie joke about double clicking the mouse has now just made complete sense!
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

But you don't necessarily have all the information for others to believe your view is the correct one while ignoring others (still) gently reminding you of this.

Advice:
    Why don't you post your view/opinion on the actual subject as oppose to focusing your attention on trying to tell me I'm wrong without actually focusing on the points in my argument.

I have already DDD if you read back over a mix of threads as i've posted in reply to your rants - and I also don't have the space or time to explain internet marketing to you and I even I don't know ALL the nuances of what can be achieved and why. I suppose it could boil down to:
    You aren't a standard user so exactly what *you* want means far less than ensuring more "other" users click around and on adverts. If links work in the same window for an advert and the user then stays longer on there because it's harder for them to return and maybe click on a few more links because of this - this is good money. What you want doesn't make money. Obviously there is a mixed ground with keeping old school people happyish because they provide more content as a snare but we're not the aim of marketing projects.
    Is that reply more to your liking... or not.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    oh man I hold mine all wrong then my index goes on the mouse wheel and I move it to click.

Also the gamer argument is out as most serious gamers don't use the mouse for much you key bind everything it's quicker and lets you get round the lag on the servers buy macro'ing up your actions.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Click the mouse wheel on a link and it opens in a new tab.

Or, left click the link, it opens in the same tab, click the back button to come back to the forum.

That's exactly the same number of clicks as clicking a link, having it open in a new tab and then closing the tab to return to the forum.

To be honest I prefer sites that open in the same window/tab by default. If I want to open something in a new tab/window then I'll do it myself. I'm certainly not sufficiently bothered about it to go complaining to web site owners about it though.
  • notsoblue
    CiB wrote:
    There is a difference in why a web site would want to send you to a new tab instead of staying in the same one, and that differs depending on context. Google & news sites do suit the paradigm of moving you on on the the same tab. By tradition, custom and errr... a third thing probably, forums don't. Forums - like we said a few weeks ago - are the equivalent of a bunch of people idly chatting about something & nothing and one of us says ' here - look out the window at his buffoon', and we have a look out and then come back here, rather than going down the corridor, down the lift and outside to see it. Bad analogy in the end, but hey ho.

Bring back the default forum behaviour of link = new tab. Not a big deal, but enough to be a bit annoying.

I think the reason why forums generally have the link = new tab behaviour is because this used to be the trend before web standards moved on (years and years ago), and either forum software hasn't been updated or the default behaviour has been overridden. I'm pretty sure that the default behaviour in phpBB is to *not* open in a new window and because Bikeradar didn't anticipate so many retro-grouches, the antiquated non-standards compliant behaviour wasn't configured.

Not adhering to web standards is pretty damaging to SEO, and "link = new tab" behaviour is on the way out. Theres very little reason to implement it again other than to satisfy some people who would get used to it pretty quickly if it stayed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,683
    Torvid wrote:
    oh man I hold mine all wrong then my index goes on the mouse wheel and I move it to click.
    quote]

Hmm, me too it seems :oops:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • notsoblue
    Graeme_S wrote:
    To be honest I prefer sites that open in the same window/tab by default. If I want to open something in a new tab/window then I'll do it myself.
    Basically, this. The less that a website controls how you use it, the better.
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

WTF.

Google is a SEARCH ENGINE

It directs traffic to other websites.

Bikeradar is a website

Bikeradar works on the basis that people stay and use the website. Google work on the principle that people leave google and go to another website.

Google survives on the basis that users go to a listed website and no other. A forced tab system would be counter-productive to this. Bikeradar survives on the basis that people stay and use the website.

If Google opened links of websites in a new tab it be counterproductive to the whole ranking systems. If Bikeradar drives users away from the website it would be counterproductive.

A glittering career in SEO awaits!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Advice:

I have already DDD if you read back over a mix of threads as i've posted in reply to your rants - and I also don't have the space or time to explain internet marketing to you and I even I don't know ALL the nuances of what can be achieved and why.

Firstly I get bored of the typecasting - "DDD made a point I disagree with so I'm going to ridicule and belittle it as ranting". If it was irrational ranting why waste the time responding?

Secondly I don't need you to explain Internet marketing to me. It's incredibly arrogant of you to think so. Would you prefer us stand shoulder to shoulder and have Headhunter measure. Or do I need to state my qualiifications and experience relating to e-marketing before I make every single post?

I suppose it could boil down to:
    You aren't a standard user so exactly what *you* want means far less than ensuring more "other" users click around and on adverts. If links work in the same window for an advert and the user then stays longer on there because it's harder for them to return and maybe click on a few more links because of this - this is good money.
    If you remove your attraction to me for a second you may realise that I'm not talking about what *I* want from this website and may (by the sheer grace of god) realise that I'm in fact talking about users that haven't logged into the website (hereafter lurkers).

In short:

Clicking adverts is one thing. It could be in the terms that clicks on adverts must open in the same tab. This works the same for both logged in and not logged in users.

This is entirely different to a lurker clicking a hyperlink wiggle and it taking them away from the website as oppose to opening in a new tab - standard in many forums/regarded as best practice/part of the reason why web browsers now contain tabs and forum and website software have this feature as an automatice option.

You get no revenue from clicking a user generated hyperlink such as above and Bikeradar has just driven the user away from the website.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB wrote:

I think the reason why forums generally have the link = new tab behaviour is because this used to be the trend before web standards moved on (years and years ago), and either forum software hasn't been updated or the default behaviour has been overridden. I'm pretty sure that the default behaviour in phpBB is to *not* open in a new window and because Bikeradar didn't anticipate so many retro-grouches, the antiquated non-standards compliant behaviour wasn't configured.

Not adhering to web standards is pretty damaging to SEO, and "link = new tab" behaviour is on the way out. Theres very little reason to implement it again other than to satisfy some people who would get used to it pretty quickly if it stayed.
    I think and I could be wrong, that your getting it the wrong way round. Opening in a new tab is the current forum/website standard.

Search Engines are different.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    DDD, you appear to be debating against long-established industry standards. You must be a maverick of the profession! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I think and I could be wrong, that your getting it the wrong way round. Opening in a new tab is the current forum/website standard.

Search Engines are different.

Yep, you're wrong

Just in case you click the link and are never heard from again, this is the bit that explains where you're wrong:
    Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

If you still want to get the same behaviour on your new phpBB3 board, there are a couple of small modifications have you to make, which this guide should hopefully explain in enough detail.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think another analogy is needed for some people who just don't seem to get it.

In a way, Bike Radar (and other fora) are like museums. Free to use, but they need to make money to exist.
    All museums have shops before the exit in order to extract some money from people who use it. You don't have to buy anything in order to leave, but they prefer that you do.

If a museum had loads of shops everywhere in the building, the visitors might get annoyed by the hard sell and not come back (ads in the middle of the threads).
    If a museum didn't have a shop in the building but advised all potential customers that, instead of buying a pencil in their shop, they went to a stationery shop down the road (driving customers away by opening links in the same tab) and then come back to the museum to continue looking at all of their wonderful exhibits, there is a chance that the visitors would leave and not come back. Not a great business model.
    Some of the visitors will gladly go to the shop down the road and come back to continue wandering around the museum, but casual visitors may not come back. They all have the option of coming back, but if they weren't directed out of the museum, they would buy the pencil in the museum and the museum would benefit.

Some people on here like to ctrl+click or right click and open a new tab or middle click or whatever. Good for them, you went down the road for your pencil and came back. Most people (me for one) find that annoying.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    I'm sure opening in a new window is different to opening in a new tab.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    edited November 2011
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its not.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DDD - the HTML code that sends the user to a new window is over-ridden by default in most browsers to open a tab, but the option is retained under the r-click behaviour to allow the New Window approach.

I just don't like change. Bring back King Edward VII.
  • DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its not.
    OK whateever you're right. I'm on a forum but everytime I instinctivly click a link, sometimes by accident, it changes the webpage to that of the link thereby taking me away from the website as oppose to opening in a new tab.

YES this is good business and entirely practical.

Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    CiB wrote:
    Thats fair enough, at least you're not ranting about pretending to be Eric Meyer. ;)
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    DDD - the HTML code that sends the user to a new window is over-ridden by default in most browsers to open a tab, but the option is retained under the r-click behaviour to allow the New Window approach.

Thanks.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD
    notsoblue wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Thats fair enough, at least you're not ranting about pretending to be Eric Meyer. ;)
    No need being a prick...

I was just talking about a subject I enjoy.
    Food Chain number = 4

• notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Its not.
    OK whateever you're right. I'm on a forum but everytime I instinctivly click a link, sometimes by accident, it changes the webpage to that of the link thereby taking me away from the website as oppose to opening in a new tab.

YES this is good business and entirely practical.

So what happens when you accidentally click a link? You're stuck, staring at the screen, sobbing while you paw at it in a vain attempt to try and return to where you came from?
  • DonDaddyD
    I refer you to the first line of my post above.

The point of the matter is how websites function. Driving taffic away = bad. Unless users are clicking the adverts.

Yes, there are a number of ways you can click back to your original webpage. The point is that you shouldn't have to. Then there are times when you want both webpages open at the same time - i.e. the forced tab feature.

Anyway, t'was fun while it lasted.
    Food Chain number = 4

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'm just getting to grips with clicking the wheel. Now I find I've been teaching the wrong finger. Oh, woe is me.
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Anyway, t'was fun while it lasted.
    Polite observation; You don't need to go into full on alpha domination mode for something as trivial as this. Comes across as a bit "ranty". Its possible to have a discussion on the internet without trying to "win".
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    I cannot be bothered to read the whole thread. But...

Consider two groups of users

Group 1 - Want links to open in new tabs with a single click
    Group 2 - Want to control themselves if they open a new tab of not

Now consider two solutions

Solution 1 - Code the site so all links open in a new tab
    Solution 2 - Leave the site with "standard" functionality

Problem is this, solution 1 only accommodates group 1 as group 2 users will always be forced to open a new tab even if they do not want to. For solution 2 group 1 can "middle click" or "mouse wheel click" to get the one click solution which is compatible with group 2 solution. Therefore solution 2 is better option as it meet the requirements of both groups.

Of course there is a solution 3 which is code a configurable user option so group 1 can do their thing and group 2 the other which is what BR have done.

All this falls down of course if we stop talking about user requirements and focus instead on "Web Site Owner" or "Corporate" Requirements which may differ from the the user in so much as they may want the user to stay on their site. Research show that this is counter productive as experienced users often take dim view of having their users experience controlled for them; although that being said in the grand scheme of things links in new tab is the very lower end of that scale. Flash ads that block the screen of open new windows of play annoying sounds when loaded are right up there at the top.

The above also falls down when people are not using a mouse. For example touch screen tablets and smartphones both of which should have a different interface that conforms to standard for such devices.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5