This is just stupid

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
After a fair bit of badgering from lots of people on here, the mighty web developer partially saw the light (possibly after the lord and master of all things Bike Radar put his foot down) and allowed logged in users to have links open in a new tab, but that only works if you are logged in. If you are not logged in, links replace Bike Radar in the tab you are using.
What a great way of sending users away from the site. Genius.
If Bike Radar was a shop, it would be like potential customers asking the staff where a product was and the staff pointing them to an exit onto a one-way street (thus making it harder for them to return). To help you understand, just picture pound notes running out of the shop door.
moneyLegs-2.jpg

I've installed Schmad Schmlocker to get rid of the annoying mid-thread (and as a by-product, all) ads but the way clicking on links drives traffic away from the site is just stupid.

I suppose when the all powerful Jeff Jones has a look at the ad revenue and traffic data, he'll notice that traffic is being driven away from the site and ad revenue is down and then the previous (sensible) way of dealing with links will be restored, but so many users will have either deserted the site or installed Schmad Schmlocker that it will be hard to get these users back.

Had to get that off my chest.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Agree with the ad bloc but do people not instinctively right click > open in new tab?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I simply agree, it makes no sense.

You want to turn browsers into consumers:

In forum terms logged-in users are the consumers (of the bikeradar brand). We log in and consume the content.

Lurkers (people who aren't logged in) are the browsers.

You want to convert lurkers into logged-in users. You do this by giving them a reason to log-in: (i) create something interesting for them to consume i.e. content. (ii) give them access to a portion/section of the content so it makes them curious for more. (iii) prevent them from accessing a the rest of the content unless they log-in.

Point (iii) can be achieved by, but not limited to, restricting access to the forums, prevent ingthem from opening links/hyperlinks only allowing them to read the top line of a bike review, but not the entire review itself.

By having links opening in the same you run the risk of driving away (the majority of) lurkers from the website and never convert them into logged-in users.

Basically what Eke said.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • and don't forget us in commuting are merely but a few in the grand scheme of posterers. needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    iPete wrote:
    Agree with the ad bloc but do people not instinctively right click > open in new tab?
    Ctrl-click...

I'd expect forcing "Open in new tab" on sites that use frames...
  • iPete
    notsoblue wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Ctrl-click...

I'd expect forcing "Open in new tab" on sites that use frames...

You really do learn something new every day, now I can shut my brain off until tomorrow..
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2011
    iPete wrote:

No. As a rule of best practice the idea is that you want to reduce the number of clicks towards the action being taken.

Right click, open in a new tab is just tedious when a website can be set up to do it for you.

What you describe is like having to get up walk to the TV and change the channel when you could just use the remote.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stop whinging.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Oh FFS, I tell you what will drive my traffic away from this site: the endless whining about whether it's exactly the right shade of blue or whether the type face is quite right, or if links should open in another tab or window or indeed on another computer in another universe. If it's THAT big a deal, just remember when you do log in, click the little box that says 'stay logged in' or whatever it is.

Humph.

Sorry, I'm not normally this grumpy, but the littl'un was up till 4 this morning giving it a full on Exorcist-style tantrum, so I have a very short fuse today
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • EKE_38BPM
    iPete wrote:
    I never used to and why should I have to?
    Old system: See a link, left click on it, start reading new tab. One click.
    New system: See a link, right click on it, click on 'Open in new tab', click on tab. Three clicks.

I watched a documentary about Steve Jobs and the development on the iPod. He made the engineers find a method of reducing the number of clicks needed to find any song that is stored. Now everyone remarks how instinctive it is to use, partly because of how quick it is to find songs. This new system is adding clicks where they don't need to be and drive traffic away, costing Bike Radar money. Where the site used to make money from me by a) me seeing a few ads and clicking them and b) clicking links (which opened in new tabs) and then coming back, Bike Radar now make no money from me. I don't see ads at all because of the overdose and it would be all too easy for me (and the lurkers DDD describes) to click onto another site and not come back.

I'll try to put this into web developer jargon: The redesign has resulted in the users being de-monitized.

• notsoblue
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    New system: See a link, right click on it, click on 'Open in new tab', click on tab. Three clicks.

How do you manage elsewhere on the internet? If you do a search on Google that returns a list of sites, and you want to check out 3 of them, you have to open each one in a new tab manually. Google doesn't Open a new tab for you.

Just ctrl-click, its not that hard and will help you whenever you visit a site that wasn't designed in 2003 :)
  • you two also need to learn (more) about how web monies are generated and what helps and doesn't help the standard user to make more money for them - hint, neither of you are a standard user.
  • EKE_38BPM
    notsoblue wrote:
    How do you manage elsewhere on the internet?

There is somewhere else on the internet? You live and learn.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I would just like to thank all the users who click on advertisements - saving me the hassle - keeping this place running at zero cost to members.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    there are ads on this website? genuinely not seen any.
  • rick_chasey
    EKE - you come across as a good bloke.

But your good bloke status is slipping with the whining on about the forum...
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

How do you manage elsewhere on the internet? If you do a search on Google that returns a list of sites, and you want to check out 3 of them, you have to open each one in a new tab manually. Google doesn't Open a new tab for you.

Just ctrl-click, its not that hard and will help you whenever you visit a site that wasn't designed in 2003 :)
    That example doesn't hold. It would counterproductive for Google to open websites in a new tab.

Google works on the principle that the list of sites are ranked (Google uses a PageRank system - slightly different to what other Search Engines do), top websites are clicked the most - I believe companies can pay for that (Google Ad-words). If Google opened websites in a new tab then the whole principle and money generating feature of Google wouldn't work. We probably would all still be using Ask Jeeves or something... :roll:

In short Google is designed to send users to websites. Bikeradar and by extension forums/websites (NOT Search Engines) work on the principle that users stay on the respective website.
    Food Chain number = 4

• iPete
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

What he said!

Like not having a TV remote? How bad are some people at using a mouse, feel sorry for your other halves :lol:

I couldn't give a carp what solution gets BR or Google more money, its just second nature to open tabs. If you use FF its the first option for that very reason. Get yourself a Logitech MX518 if you really want to be grease lightning of web surfing.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    or, you could click the middle mouse button...

one click, opens in new tab 8)
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • DonDaddyD
    iPete wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

What he said!

Like not having a TV remote? How bad are some people at using a mouse, feel sorry for your other halves :lol:

I couldn't give a carp what solution gets BR or Google more money, its just second nature to open tabs. If you use FF its the first option for that very reason. Get yourself a Logitech MX518 if you really want to be grease lightning of web surfing.

Dude, that's the point it isn't second nature. It never was and it's not even best practice to right click and select open in a new tab.

It's not by some common coincidence that Internet Explorer, FireFox et al all developed their web browers to contain tabs. I remember when tabs weren't even a feature on web browsers and you needed to open a new window. Similarly it's not a coincidence that website/forum software (V-bulletin, Joomla, Xoops etc) all come with the option of automatically opening links in a new page.

The fact that this website didn't do this automatically was poor design. The fact that it now does do this but not for logged in users - so driving traffic away from the site is stupid.

Sure you, a regular user knows to right click and open a new tab. A browser/lurker, the type of person who Bikeradar should be encouraging to join doesn't and is being driven away when they click the link. That's counter-productive from the goal.

EKE's point stands is absolutely correct.
    Food Chain number = 4

• iPete
    drays wrote:

New worlds have opened :shock:
  • notsoblue
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

That example doesn't hold. It would counterproductive for Google to open websites in a new tab.

Google works on the principle that the list of sites are ranked (Google uses a PageRank system - slightly different to what other Search Engines do), top websites are clicked the most - I believe companies can pay for that (Google Ad-words). If Google opened websites in a new tab then the whole principle and money generating feature of Google wouldn't work. We probably would all still be using Ask Jeeves or something... :roll:

In short Google is designed to send users to websites. Bikeradar and by extension forums/websites (NOT Search Engines) work on the principle that users stay on the respective website.

If you Ctrl-click links on a Google Search results page to open them in a new tab, it has pretty much the same effect on Google's ad revenue as if you were to just click on it normally and load it in the same tab. Click tracking doesn't work the way you think it works, DDD.
  • DonDaddyD
    iPete wrote:
    drays wrote:

Bah, I'd need to evolve a finger between my index and middle (swearing) finger. That or hold my mouse differently.
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    drays wrote:

But that means I'd have to move my index finger 5/8 of an inch to the right each time I want to open a link in a new tab!

No way am I doing that!!!

:evil:
  • DonDaddyD
    edited November 2011
    notsoblue wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    iPete wrote:

If you Ctrl-click links on a Google Search results page to open them in a new tab, it has pretty much the same effect on Google's ad revenue as if you were to just click on it normally and load it in the same tab. Click tracking doesn't work the way you think it works, DDD.

That's not the point. You used Google as an example of a website that doesn't automatically open a new tab.

I explained why (from a Business standpoint) Google doesn't and shouldn't (automatically) open pages in new tabs and why Bikeradar should.

The fact that that you as a user can do this with a mouse or keyboard command is beside the point.
    Food Chain number = 4

• drays
    drays Posts: 119
    kelsen wrote:
    drays wrote:

But that means I'd have to move my index finger 5/8 of an inch to the right each time I want to open a link in a new tab!

No way am I doing that!!!

:evil:

Index finger on the scroll wheel - scroll and click in one continuous movement!

:D
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • rick_chasey
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    drays wrote:

Bah, I'd need to evolve a finger between my index and middle (swearing) finger. That or hold my mouse differently.

How old are you, 5? Who uses a mouse like that?

Aren't you supposed to be a PC Gamer?!?!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE - you come across as a good bloke.
    Cheers
    ...But your good bloke status is slipping with the whining on about the forum...
    I'm "whining" for the good of the forum. It must be making less money now than it was before the redesign because it is driving traffic away (lurkers) and increased use of ad blocker (regulars).

I don't have any major problem with the colour scheme (we all get the blues sometimes). The clutter on the main forum page doesn't bother me. The animated icons are water off a duck's back. The problem with image sizes seem to have been resolved.

I want the forum and the site generally to go from strength to strength and to do this, it has to make money. The things I'm "whining" about will lose the site money and, thus, weaken it. I think the world record holding Jeff Jones enjoys his job and runs Bike Radar in a manner to keep his staff happy, but I don't think he, or his staff, love the job enough to do it for free.

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    drays wrote:

How old are you, 5? Who uses a mouse like that?

Aren't you supposed to be a PC Gamer?!?!

The left button is covered by my index finger. The right button is covered by my middle finger. The left shoulder button is covered by my thumb. My ring finger covers the right shoulder button.

Am I doing it wrong? :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I can't believe BBC was covering Egypt all day yesterday... has the world's finest broadcaster totally lost focus on what's important!?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I explained why (from a Business standpoint) Google doesn't and shouldn't (automatically) open pages in new tabs and why Bikeradar should.

But you don't necessarily have all the information for others to believe your view is the correct one while ignoring others (still) gently reminding you of this.