MTFU Weather Has Arrived

Comments

• Heavy rain and 3C forecast for tomorrow - good job we're tough up here :wink: :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Dress code for Newcastle is T-shirt and jeans in winter, sleevless vest and shorts in summer - anything else and you're a wuss.
    When we had that really cold snap last winter it got down to -15 so decided against both car and bike put on lots of layers and got the train. When I got off the train in Newcastle I walked through town behind a man in jeans and T-shirt. :roll:
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    Asprilla wrote:
    It was really lovely in London, and I'm a pretty fair weather rider.

Was it? When I came in it was pretty foggy and the air was dense, really dense. And I think there was a headwind.

Was cold when I left the house this morning, contemplated going back for long finger gloves. I concur on the headwindiness as well.

Left late this morning and still had to stop to pull up the free scarf to cover my ears. :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's still not proper cold in London. The kind of cold where it's feasible to wear two full length tights and two pairs of socks. To be honest it's still kinda mild. Not mit weather though.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Am still using mitts - when it drops below 5C the full fingered gloves will come out to play.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    See, I am fair weather.

I'm fully gloved up, ear warmers, cap, base layer, winter jersey, 3/4s with neoprene shoe covers.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    ToeKnee wrote:
    8 C when I set out this morning ... pleasant ride in.

Also, those that think an 8mph headwind qualifies as a headwind worth mentioning .... MTFU. :wink:
    Yeah, I was going to comment on this... It has been pretty still in London for the last few days!

Last few weeks really. I do prefer a decent easterly to take me home, rather than the prevailing SW wind after a long day.

First non-shorts day today (and full finger gloves) since Spring. Not quite at base layers yet!
  • It would be interesting to see what various people's swapping points are as the temperature drop. For me it's the following:

Covered arms: <10C
    Full-finger gloves: <6C
    Covered legs: <4C
    Jacket: <4C
    Full winter gear (covered ears, winter tights, winter boots etc): <1C
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • yesterday required long fingered gloves.
    with just ss jersey and shorts mind.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    <1C means two pairs of gloves for me, & snood.
  • I don't pay much heed to actual daily temperature. I tend to just switch with the seasons. I'm on full gloves already, have been for the past couple of weeks. At some stage over the next month it'll be long tights rather than 3/4s under my baggies, and a jumper under my jacket. On mild days, I may go without the jumper. On very cold days, I'll sometimes rock ear muffs. And that's about it.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    It was definitely jacket weather today. About 5 degrees when I went out and the short-sleeved jersey and baselayer combo was not cutting it. Expect a post on the Tell Everybody What You've Bought thread soon...! :D
    FCN 3 / 4
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Out of interest those of you who rec London's not that cold yet, how fat are you?

Come on you porkers own up.

Greg66 is still in his trademark swingers leopard thong and flipflops
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    London is cold enough for trousers, windstopper thingy over tshirt and full finger gloves. Not quite skull cap and buff time, below 5'C for that. As we get nearer to zero I'll add a mid layer, thicker gloves and overshoes. Snow and ice mean MTB.
    On the warmer front. 15+ for shorts, a bit more for tshirt.
  • Arrived home to ice tonight too - 0C already. Pea souper again - about 5m visibility: enough to make you think twice about going flat out.
  • I still think London is'nt that cold at all yet and I'm no fatty.

Currently just long sleeve team jersey, bibs, knee warms and thin gloves.

In the depth of winter I will have overshoes, thicker gloves and a base layer under my jersey and I still manage to get a sweat on
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    MTFU? It's still-in-shorts weather up here. But the long sleeves, knee warmers, skullcap, full finger gloves and overshoes are getting daily use.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    JamesFree wrote:
    I still think London is'nt that cold at all yet and I'm no fatty.

Currently just long sleeve team jersey, bibs, knee warms and thin gloves.

In the depth of winter I will have overshoes, thicker gloves and a base layer under my jersey and I still manage to get a sweat on

What's that chunky? take the donut out of your mouth I can't hear you :P
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,373
    itboffin wrote:
    Out of interest those of you who rec London's not that cold yet, how fat are you?

Greg66 is still in his trademark swingers leopard thong and flipflops

Porker? Moi? :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Minus 8 (or thereabouts) in Essex. :mrgreen:

Minus 8, isn't that a night club in Colchester?
  • Was only 4degC where I live in NW London (little bit of a microclimate cos of copse of trees and stream just down the road - my corner often ices over when its way above freezing 50m away) and only 6.5degC when I got to work (according to my Garmin which I know is pretty accurate). Gore Phantom over SS gore top and long sleeve base layer, gore bib shorts and leg warmers, mitts, and the slightly heavier socks (normally use M&S trainer socks). Though by the time I was 1/2 way to work I did wish I'd put the full finger gloves on as I couldnt feel my hands... felt it in the toes as well when I got to work... then made mistake of getting into shower before toes and fingers fully back to room temp... ouch!

<say's smilies are ON but won't insert them... what am i doing wrong?>
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Still mild enough for just a long sleeve top for my commute into north London. Baggy shorts all year round and still in fingerless gloves. For weekend 6am starts I wear 3/4 bibs and a base layer. I never feel the need to wear anything more like a jacket or waterproof, after all only 200 or so of my 8000+ miles this year have been in the rain!!!! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • I don't wear a windproof jacket to protect me from rain but just to keep me warm - especially in sub-zero conditions. Only wear a waterproof as a windproof layer in the seriously cold conditions - down around the -10C region
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Has it? I was too busy M'ing TFU to notice.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • rick_chasey
    Was beading on the way in today.

If people think this is MTFU weather in London, then you're a bunch of wusses.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:

Me!

The amount of weight I've put on is disgraceful.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ruddy roasting this morning, should have taken the mitts not long fingered!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • My seasonal approach to gear came unstuck this morning

:oops: <---- that was my face after about 10 mins

On the plus side, the air was a lot less dense.
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    Several degrees warmer in central London this morning than yesterday - still in baggy shorts

Red Brompton S6L
  • Warmer here this morning at a balmy 3C. Mini heatwave over the weekend with the temps hitting double-digits.