MTFU Weather Has Arrived

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Hmm - it's -1.6C here this morning - time to test out the winter set-up. Nice that it's foggy too. Still, it's the next few months that distinguish us from the fair-weather commuters.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still about +4C here so still in the same mitts/T-shirt and short baggies that I used in June, will get the 3/4 lengths out this weekend as my Knees are starting to creak!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    First ride in today where I had to shake out my hands at the lights, might have to make the move away from mitts to full fingers. Still shorts, though with knee warmers at 6am.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • 11 degrees at 5 o'clock for the last few weeks down here, in Torbay...
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    No Jockistani weather here in the South-West; more like 12deg C and overcast; L/S merino & bib shorts as per usual.
    Thread title needs to reflect "foreign-ness" of OP's location...
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Grey and manky here in Welshland.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    SimonAH wrote:
    Grey and manky here in Welshland.

Status quo then :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    4C here in Glasgow, though looked colder. Will be ice on them thar roads soon.....

MeanRedSpider, I did gaze on Mount Eagle on Saturday, was staying by Loch Garve and a few of us MTBiked up round the forrest and over to Strathpeffer. Also the Blackwater above Rogie Falls is choked with Salmon. Lovely part of the country.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I had a strange feeling this morning when I looked out the window and saw the frost. I think people call it happiness, yes that's it happiness at not having to go into the office.

lol I've been reading your user name as meandered spider.
  • I've felt pretty weak all week, so a lack of MTFU notwithstanding, I'm starting to think there may be somethng in this 'cold air is more dense' malarky. I obviously discount my own frailty as a possible factor.
  • suzyb wrote:
    I had a strange feeling this morning when I looked out the window and saw the frost. I think people call it happiness, yes that's it happiness at not having to go into the office.

sometimes it's me and a red spider
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Well - certainly no shorts or mitts for me this morning. Castelli Mannaggia jacket was pressed into service - bloody hell it's warm - certainly going to be my "Seriously MTFU" weather jacket, along with my winter boots, winter bibs and lobsters (though the latter, I think, were overkill).

Marathon Winters are much harder work - felt like I'd ridden into quite a headwind - but loads of sheet ice about.

I had a couple of exciting moments where I'd slipped into auto pilot and, after a couple of days on the 105-equipped road bike, I tried changing gear on the Boardman's Apex using the front (disc) brake lever - certainly got my attention back!
    MeanRedSpider, I did gaze on Mount Eagle on Saturday, was staying by Loch Garve and a few of us MTBiked up round the forrest and over to Strathpeffer. Also the Blackwater above Rogie Falls is choked with Salmon. Lovely part of the country.

It's a fantastic part of the world. It's far too easy to forget how lucky I am (though a recent trip to Kettering & Corby does a great job of reminding you :wink: ) - beautiful morning here too because of the cold.
    suzyb wrote:

PMSL - MeanRedSpider is actually an old "gamer tag" from years ago stolen from the Muddy Waters song of the same name and a reference to the track-prepared red Alfa Romeo Spider I had at the time. Could have bean worse - could have been RustyRattanBeigeFiesta :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Still pretty mild here in South wales,no frost yet ! Im secretly looking forward to getting the full winter gear out though !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It was really lovely in London, and I'm a pretty fair weather rider.
  • It was really lovely in London, and I'm a pretty fair weather rider.

Was it? When I came in it was pretty foggy and the air was dense, really dense. And I think there was a headwind.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

Was it? When I came in it was pretty foggy and the air was dense, really dense. And I think there was a headwind.

Was cold when I left the house this morning, contemplated going back for long finger gloves. I concur on the headwindiness as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rick_chasey

You walked into that one.

MTFU.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Gave my leg warmers their first outing this morning (London 7am). Jersey with arm warmers is holding up but I may have to break out the jacket soon (shame)
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Felt pretty cold this morning, but we're not in MTFU weather down south yet... I saw it was going to be 14C here tomorrow.
  • Minus 8 (or thereabouts) in Essex. :mrgreen:
  • It was really lovely in London, and I'm a pretty fair weather rider.

You walked into that one.

MTFU.

Curses!
  • rick_chasey
    I thought it was fine. I don't really mind headwinds as long as I'm not too cold or hot and my ears are covered.

Had all of the above.

The fake tan will be fading :wink::D

bet you can still find short skirts, boob tubes and no jacket ladies in leeds...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

bet you can still find short skirts, boob tubes and no jacket ladies in leeds...

And blokes who are five foot tall, five foot wide, wearing short sleeve shirts and called 'gareh'

icicles on me vajazzle! :oops:
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    8 C when I set out this morning ... pleasant ride in.

Also, those that think an 8mph headwind qualifies as a headwind worth mentioning .... MTFU. :wink:
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ToeKnee wrote:
    8 C when I set out this morning ... pleasant ride in.

Also, those that think an 8mph headwind qualifies as a headwind worth mentioning .... MTFU. :wink:
    Yeah, I was going to comment on this... It has been pretty still in London for the last few days!
  • It's the only reason I can think of for my sluggish performances in the last few days. That and the dense colder air of course.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I'm a total wuss, temperature was into single figures (just) and I was thinking I'd need another 14 layers. Must be the thin mediterranean blood.
    Once went on a stag night in Newcastle on a cold winters night and got lots of homophobic abuse due to what we were wearing. That'll teach us to put coats on.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Dress code for Newcastle is T-shirt and jeans in winter, sleevless vest and shorts in summer - anything else and you're a wuss.
    Overcast but mild here - no wind to speak of - weekend forcast is for light wind and warmer