Frozen Planet

jim453
jim453 Posts: 1,360
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
If you're not watching this you're making a mistake.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Orly !
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Am watching now with series link and auto view set up in the box.
  • i'm watching a documentary about syd field. but i have ice in my whisky.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Glad I'm not a seal!
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    jim453 wrote:
    If you're not watching this you're making a mistake.

bbc iPlayer is a wonderful invention. I'll watch it on there later
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    If it's about climate change then i suggest you also watch this:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/up-in-smoke/4od

"Slash-and-burn farming generates more carbon emissions than all air and road travel combined."

There a solution...(??) And it goes far beyond the issue of climate change. A fine example of appropriate technical assistance that desperately needs funding.
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    edited October 2011
    Chapeau to the divers towards the end - rare piece of skill.
    Pictures of the meltwater flowing over the Greenland ice sheet were stunning.
    One criticism - much of the commentary is average.
    But the visuals are a poem.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Yet another series of spectacular filming....bring the far reaches of this earth into our homes...absolutely brillant...Sir David Attenbough never seems to fail at grasping my attention...what a fascinating place 'Antartica' is
  • Even though it only made a short appearance that Great Grey Owl looked BLOODY AMAZING on my big telly. So glad the cat never so it - he goes nuts at Springwatch :lol:

The program sounded amazing too!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How people can whine about their licence fee when it gives us this I'll never understand.
    Sky subscription is shedloads more and they dont make programmes like this.
  • Superb bit of telly, those killer whales were awesome. The look in the eyes of that seal as it knew its fate and was dragged under, exhausted and beaten.

Edit: Agree with cougie - compared to Sky the beeb is a bargain. Particularly if you use the website and listen to their local radio.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Even though it only made a short appearance that Great Grey Owl looked BLOODY AMAZING on my big telly. So glad the cat never so it - he goes nuts at Springwatch :lol:

The program sounded amazing too!

ERRrr iPlayer and a video camera and You tube.

Purrlease
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    cougie wrote:
    How people can whine about their licence fee when it gives us this I'll never understand.
    Sky subscription is shedloads more and they dont make programmes like this.

+1. The Beeb gets a lot of stick but in its defence it does some truly excellent stuff and is often streets ahead of the other two terrestrial channels. I'm no longer with Sky as, any Murdoch-related issues aside, I thought it was money for old rope. Pineapple Dance Studios - enough said.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • McBoom
    McBoom Posts: 78
    Anybody else laugh out loud at the Bison incident?

:twisted:
  • McBoom wrote:

ok - that's me hooked, I have to go watch it ! luckily PVR was deployed last night and the rest is on series link - can't wait !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Great way to start the day...sort out the risk assessment for divers on a volcano in the Antarctic under the ice, underwater and surrounded by killer whales :D
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    No risk assessment or method statement could be approved for that

Can you imagine the comments box at the end, if all does go wrong death is certain

the insuramnce company would poop themselves!
  • McBoom wrote:

ok - that's me hooked, I have to go watch it ! luckily PVR was deployed last night and the rest is on series link - can't wait !

imagine getting rear ended by a 3 ton charging bison whilst getting ripped apart by a pack of wolves.... now that is a bad day at the office !
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    McBoom wrote:

Yeah - whoops there's one on the ground - have him.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Stunning... my mate is one of the underwater cameramen (Doug Anderson) and, in the last 2 years, has spent over 6 months in Antarctica filming... I was very proud of him.

Was watching the melt rivers in Greenland thinking I wonder why no-one has ever done a kayak expedition.... and then it suddenly dropped down a mile deep hole.

Amazing stuff!
  • LeicesterLad
    LeicesterLad Posts: 3,908
    Amazing as always with these documentaries, although slightly horrific. When the seal got slowly pulled off the ice at the end it was reminiscent of a horror film, pretty evil actually. :shock:
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Loved the grimpeur penguin outpacing the rouleur seal :D

The bison incident was classic- AV IT!!!!!!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I had to laugh at a comment I saw on another website:

"Poor killer whales were getting a LOT of abuse on twitter"

The usual jaw dropping stuff so far. I hope to see more of the Polar Bears - very much wildlife doc A-list.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Magnificent as always from the Beeb.

Couldn't help but feel sorry for that poor old seal though..... :cry:
  • Amazing as always with these documentaries, although slightly horrific. When the seal got slowly pulled off the ice at the end it was reminiscent of a horror film, pretty evil actually. :shock:

Was quite disturbing to watch the final seconds. The power of the scene helped by David Attenborough's commentary... "Game over..."
  • Did you just see those two idiots in that toy boat when the killer whales were trying to knock them off with a wave? :P

Producer; get in the dingy quick and go out and film them.
    Me; no.
  • Did you just see those two idiots in that toy boat when the killer whales were trying to knock them off with a wave? :P

Producer; get in the dingy quick and go out and film them.
    Me; no.

I would have muddied the waters for sure!
    Those guys are insane! Brilliant but insane!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    McBoom wrote:

Yeah Fair play to the Muxoxen! That's a proper herd animal!! Anyone get all girly and cutsie about the baby seals as well?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Obviously during last weeks episode BR was down, so it didn't get a mention, but...who cracked up watching that theiving penguin? :lol: