Mud, Sweat and Gears 2012

Comments

• Nicemonkey
    Nicemonkey Posts: 13
    from the "Hadleigh MTB club" forum on facebook they will be working with Matt on the weekend of 30th June creating new single track...as long as they get approval from the ranger
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    there's a Hadleigh mtb club..?!?? :shock:
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • Nicemonkey
    Nicemonkey Posts: 13
    Yeah they are trying to start it at the moment, group rides on a Monday evening over Hadleigh down. Its all connected with the Olympic site
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    bigdawg wrote:
    there's a Hadleigh mtb club..?!?? :shock:

Bigdawg, I'm surprised you didn't know, I have posted on here about it.

Yes, there is a Hadleigh MTB Club, we meet at Ten Green Bottles bar on a Monday evening in Leigh-on-Sea, a easy group ride leaves at 6.30 and a faster (Bez) ride leaves at 7 pm, both get back to the bar around 9.30pm after covering the same distance.

we ride up through belfairs wood and link woodland single track up in a loop before we hit the Hadleigh downs, but as so much of the paths are now closed due to the Olympic race we head for the castle hill, just to burn the thighs a little before heading back to Leigh with 1 final climb back to the TGB bar for a cold pint.

Everyone is welcome to come along and join the fun, we had 17 start the easy on Monday .

We hold regular meeting at the Old Fire station in Hadleigh to discuss how the club will progress after the olympics have ended and the course is changed and the new facilitys are built before the track will reopen to the public around August 2013.

Search for Hadleigh MTB Club on facebook or twitter for more info as it happens.
  • bigdawg
    cheers Collo - I found it on facebook after your previous post I must have missed it before.

signed up on facebook now... :D

• C0LL0
    On the subject of Langdon hills, I am entered into the vets race but will be withdrawing my entry, I'm not fit enough this year to do it justice.

The course is being designed at the moment and should be a new track, Matt was down there the other week and he has enlisted the help of Glenn (Hadleigh MTB Club chairman) who's also joint designed and biulder of the Olympic track to make a course. Hadleigh MTB Club will be building the course, some tree clipping, dig some features etc etc when the ranger has agreed to the work wanting to be carried out. It's going to be a cracker of an event with some of britians and europes best riders turning up for this one just before the big race at Hadleigh.
  • C0LL0
    bigdawg wrote:
    cheers Collo - I found it on facebook after your previous post I must have missed it before.

signed up on facebook now... :D

Well see you on Monday evening then :D
  • bigdawg
    Im in Dorset next week but should be able to do subsequent rides...

• C0LL0
    Excellent, the more the merrier, we might have to split into 3 rides if this level of enthusiasm continues.
  • bigdawg
    ok weather looks like it might hold - whos doing langdon...?!?!?!

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Yep but Open cat on the saturday and watching on the sunday :D
  • bigdawg
    yeah Ill be doing the open too - licence & entry is £50 pretty much, which is too rich for me..

And Ive only just realised its on the saturday... :oops:

• IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    whos doing langdon
    Maybe got till the 9th to book for open. Was hoping to do more body core work as Ickworth House kill my back.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • C0LL0
    If one was to offer there help to marshall on either day, Hadleigh MTB Club would be most grateful (you even get lunch provided), a snazzy high viz and use of a radio...... woooooooo hoooooooo.... how can you turn that down.

Just find Hadleigh MTB Club on face book, and tell Mr Glenn Horton that you can help out, I think they are planning a BBQ on saturday night with camping and a few sociable drinky poo's for Hadleigh MTB Club members/hangers on.

I've changed my mind again and purchased the licence and upgraded my BC membership (half price now we are in July) so will be racing in the vets on Sunday afternoon. I'm aimimg for a 2nd or 3rd place finish (from the back). plus it's a good bit of local advertising for my shop
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I'm racing in the vets, i've done 3 of the nationals to date... they really are a different level, had quite respectable placings at MSG, but I struggle to get in the 30's at the nationals :shock:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • C0LL0
    pilch wrote:
    I'm racing in the vets, i've done 3 of the nationals to date... they really are a different level, had quite respectable placings at MSG, but I struggle to get in the 30's at the nationals :shock:

If you struggle to make top 30, please don't laugh at me when your lapping me at Langdon, I'll be the red faced sweaty man puffing and wheezing at the slightest incline. :lol:
  • bigdawg
    to do any of the national races youve got to be pretty dedicated, usually its a lot of travelling and expense for little reward, but great fun, everything is a step up and a level above. The lead riders are so fast and smooth itd make you cry..

Its funny in the 90s I used to race every weekend in the summer and at least twice a month in the winter... just went where the racing was - just returned from a weeks holiday in dorset and every day we went out I went past somewhere I had raced, ringwood, puddletown, lyme regis, swanage, and we used to do that in a weekend or in some instances drive there and back in a day, I couldnt imagine doing that now Id be asleep on the start lines...

• IhateDNS
    hum ere to put this

Olympic Flame visible to the public
    Mountain Bike on Olympic Course
    Friday 6 July, 14:28 start
    http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/route/
  • bigdawg
    they reckon someones going to ride it round the course - bet they take the chicken runs...

• IhateDNS
    edited July 2012
    Who riding ?
    Came home after bit disappointing :| Plan was to get to Olympic Course but did wonder if open to public.

http://www.london2012.com/torch-relay/video/live.htm
    Friday 6 July, 14:28 start
  • bigdawg
    no its not! And the live feed has stopped - Really would have throught they would have arranged for cameras around the course...

Actually its a bit of a pointless exercise there's not actually anyone there to see it either by video or in person?!?!

• IhateDNS
    edited July 2012
    live feed has stopped
    :roll: FFS Hoping going to start at 14:28 what the point of walking or ride flame round track if no one can see.

Sorry to hijack now back to MSG & BC
  • bigdawg
    apparently there were some select invitations sent out, but almost definately to know with any actual interest in mtbing...

• Balaclavas
    Balaclavas Posts: 61
    From what I've heard they did have 500 odd school children on site to watch it. They couldn't exactly let the public surge in as it must still be a live building site if they are trying to get 20,000 spectators and all the other Olympic gunf in.
  • bigdawg
    Hmm... was just about to enter for saturday -took a quick look at the weather and it's gonig to be pissing down........ again!

Not sure Ill be entering its not just a quick shower either...

• IhateDNS
    Langdon - Last day to book for Open. No thanks may go and watch.
  • bigdawg
    and actual race day actually looks quite nice... but I still cant afford £50.... :(

Trouble is the licence thing isnt done very well on two fronts.

Firstly when youre applying for races the site asks if you have a licence but even if you tick no it stills lets you enter the race?!?! I know people who have signed up for vets but don't hold a licence, can see some very unhappy people there come sunday.

Secondly why can't we buy a one day licence like the road guys can..??

• evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    The long range forecasts have not been too accurate this year :roll: They can't even get tomorrows weather accurate lol. Meant to have heavy showers here today yet not a single drop of rain. If you go by the forecast for saturday and expecting it to rain, you could well be disappointed on the day when it's sunny :wink:
    Jut pay up and race what ever the weather!
  • bigdawg
    ill prob just turn and and pay on saturday tbh if it holds off...

Really need to put my bike back together sometime!

How odd you can't turn up and race for the races on sunday..?!?!

• C0LL0
    Can you turn up and enter on the day for the open???, thought as it was BC you had to enter all race s by the 9th!