Mud, Sweat and Gears 2012

Comments

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Oh dear.... fingers crossed that the weather gods are smiling then!
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • before you keep saying its gonna be crap if its wet maybe you should know where the corse will go as on the clay bit there might be grass now and you might not go where you went last year
  • bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    tbh, I actually made up more than 10 places in the space of a minute because of that clay because I still had mud tyres on and they didnt clog 8)

at the end of the day I know from experience its going to be rideable whatever the weather throws at us...

But please can we have a hot sunny day!
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    before you keep saying its gonna be crap if its wet maybe you should know where the corse will go as on the clay bit there might be grass now and you might not go where you went last year
    so what tyres do you suggest?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    not slicks... :wink:

• VWsurfbum
    bigdawg wrote:
    not slicks... :wink:
    but they don't hold the mud :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    true...!

Hopefully though the forecast will change again before the weekend and Ill actually get a hot decent race this year.

• VWsurfbum
    Midweek ride is tomorrow, anyone want to go?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Raced at Beastway last night so need to save the legs for sunday as i hear its gonna be a tough one. Great they have decided to bring back the midweek blasts. Only 2 races left though :(

Think its going to be a wet one this sunday just to make the course that bit tougher. 2hrs of slogging it lol.
  • bigdawg
    If the clay section isnt in the course this time this won't be anywhere near as bad as Hylands, it will all be very rideable albeit a bit slippy in places.

• sdminus
    sdminus Posts: 24
    nice. if its as bad as highlands i wont bother racing.

did anybody ride it tonight. i presume its going to be a muddy cyclo cross race
  • Monty13a
    Monty13a Posts: 12
    I rode last night and it’s not muddy, in fact it rode really nice. :D

Jason has cut the grass and rolled it again. Great job.
  • bigdawg
    Jeez the weather forecast has taken a huge turn for the worst...! But saying that if anyone did the ride last night can confirm the clay/mud section is out then it should all be pretty rideable... The bigger problem for me will be the temperature, its forecast 11degrees!!!

• VWsurfbum
    i'd rather it be cooler than megga hot.

Oh and dry, did i mention dry, i want it to be dry!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    its def not going to be dry....!

did you ride it last night??

• pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    looks like another character building round then :lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • VWsurfbum
    bigdawg wrote:
    its def not going to be dry....!

did you ride it last night??
    No i was on husband duties of fixing the wifes phone, aparently thats far more inportant than me playing bikes? :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • bigdawg
    14mm of rain is, well I think we had 10mm of rain for Hylands!!

But theres only one part of the course that will really suffer, and from comments made previously I dont think that bits in this year...

• Monty13a
    Monty13a Posts: 12
    Clay/mud section? Sorry but I don't know what part you are thinking of. Can't you work it out from the map on page 18.
  • C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    after having my 2nd big off on Wednesday at the beastway , twice in 9 days I'm feeling a little bruised and pounding headache ( must learn not to land on my head) I don't think it'll matter too much to me what the weather is doing, I'm not fit enough to bust a gut this weekend.
  • Nicemonkey
    Nicemonkey Posts: 13
    I thought it was just me...has someone been polishing the Beastway track? It seems extremely slippery this year. I was taken out last week by a rider and bike combo T-boning me on a corner!
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    It was super slippery! Especially where the long grass had been flattened on the corners, was like ice! Going to be even worse this wednesday with the rain leading up to it and possibly rain on the day :(
  • codham park looking good
    all preped and ready to go
    no rain today
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Today's weather not like they predicted so hope they got it wrong again tomorrow. :)
    Good luck all.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • VWsurfbum
    IhateDNS wrote:
    Today's weather not like they predicted so hope they got it wrong again tomorrow. :)
    Good luck all.
    god I hope so
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The only weather you have to think about is weather or not your gonna go for it on the first lap or save your self a little for the next lap or laps lol
  • VWsurfbum
    Is there still a bottle neck after the start?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Do like Codham, Thanks to Matt Jason & MSG Team. I followed a lady round was nice to have someone to follow like I wasn't the last one of my cat riding round. And the odd word of encouragement.

Thank :)

Bet track was nice for the two hour category :shock:
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • bigdawg
    edited June 2012
    I dont know whether it was the lack ofrain but lap 1 OK'ish, lap 2 50% walking/pushing and the last time we saw anthing in the way of changing gears, lap 3 - I hardly saw anyone riding, the woods were quite literally unrideable an then you spent another 25% of hte course trying to get the mud off your tyres and then into the sandy bumps, the latter part again unrideable...

Fortunately at the end of lap three the lead rider came through - game over! Ive never actaully raced and not ridden so much in my life!! At the end my 20lb superswift xc bike weighed more than 40lb!!!! I couldnt actually lift it...

Can't blame the weather or the organisers or the course owners but got to say in nearly 20 years Ive never ever ridden anywhere or nything so bad...

Oh well 18th place, points for the first time this year and one race to go... Unfortunately the first sign of rain and im out. I don't think I can source, let alone afford more parts to replace the broken bits....