Poll on jersey etiquette and age

Comments

• yocto
    yocto Posts: 86
    Guys,

lets not forget that this is a cycling related forum and the OP has made a cycling related poll.

What's the issue with this!!?

If you think that this topic is a waste of time/ not worthy of discussion you can either skip over it or participate on the amnesty international forum. Surely?
  • gasman_dave
    gasman_dave Posts: 129
    edited October 2011
    Stagewinner. That is uncalled for.

MRS, hope your son is doing well. There are more important things than this crap. For those that think Schiehallion is a climb on the Etape, I think it means something else to MeanRedSpider.

Dave
  • mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    Looks like the MAMILs have the biggest issue with jerseys. Perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing...
    36 to 45 is not middle-aged :shock:

Granted that might be the right age group for a mid-life crisis, but that's not quite the same thing.

OED says middle-aged is 45 to 60.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • Stagewinner. That is uncalled for.

MRS, hope your son is doing well. There are more important things than this crap. For those that think Schiehallion is a climb on the Etape, I think it means something else to MeanRedSpider.

Dave

While I also hope that his son gets better, this is a BIKE forum where we discuss BIKE things.
  • We shall only henceforth discuss weighty topics such as 'the path to world peace', 'debt crisis management', 'why cancer sucks' and 'population management'.

That is inflammatory. I look forward to commenting on bike-related questions while Stagewinner can play with his real friends.

The reason why so many posters are getting annoyed is the utter pedantry of the club cyclists who think they are making a point for all cyclists.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Just to put things back in perspective... yes, in the grand scheme of things it's a completely trivial issue, fully accepted.

meanredspider - all the best to you in this incredibly difficult time, sorry if this topic has hit a nerve, I know that when you are facing an issue in life that REALLY matters, everything else (especially stuff like this) shrinks into insignificance.

In spite of any impressions to the contrary, it's not something I think any sane person should be losing any sleep over...

I just think it's interesting how opinions are so divided on the matter, and I think the meanings that people attach to abstract symbols (and why they do so) are interesting, it's a pan-human tendency I think, and far easier to take the piss out of than to defend or understand.

If anyone is not interested or has more important things to worry about (perfectly understandable) then please just ignore the subject!
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    We shall only henceforth discuss weighty topics such as 'the path to world peace', 'debt crisis management', 'why cancer sucks' and 'population management'.

Yup - I'm not going to get upset by that comment - but some topics say more about people than they say about cycling. The lid argument at least has some value in its pointlessness. A discussion about the merits of various tyres has some merit. Or the value of bike A versus bike B. All cycling topics - all useful to someone - or some topics that are simply entertaining. What I dislike (and, yes, it's only my opinion) is that people really can get worked up about what someone else is wearing. It's not to do with cycling, per se, it's to do with your value system. It's so utterly trivial & petty.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    36 to 45 is not middle-aged

Granted that might be the right age group for a mid-life crisis, but that's not quite the same thing.

OED says middle-aged is 45 to 60

I'm confused now - I'm 42, so when I bought a mountain bike a month ago was I having a mid life crisis or not? I do hope I was, I'd hate to think I still had to buy a motorbike/sportscar or get a tattoo
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • meanredspider
    neeb wrote:
    meanredspider - all the best to you in this incredibly difficult time, sorry if this topic has hit a nerve, I know that when you are facing an issue in life that REALLY matters, everything else (especially stuff like this) shrinks into insignificance.

Thanks - we're through the worst of it I hope. But it does teach you to get even more dissatisfied by the things that matter and forget those things that don't. Personally, I wish that there was a way that everyone could go through this experience. If you've read "It's Not About the Bke", you'll know that LA comes to the same conclusion. When asked, kids who have survived cancer will more often than not say that the process has been overall beneficial.

The point I'm wanting to make is that same thing. I sense that it really does bother some people that someone wears a particular shirt. I can't begin to imagine why you'd get that worried about it to get that bothered. But if it is, you must live a wonderful (and sheltered) existence.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    When I was Younger. Late 20 's I think, I m now 40. I was doing some riding around the top end of lake Garda.

Wasnt really thinking about my kit at the time I was wearing a long sleeve cannondale volvo xc world champs shirt (Think cuddles had won it for them) but riding a fully specced up specialized E5 ALA Cippo Zebra style.

Stopped for a break in Desenzano only to find a chain gang containing Cippolini, because of the bike and the Jersey I moved on fairly swiftish, well as swift as I could.

So no wouldnt wear a World Champs jersey. Or a Yellow Green or Polka Dot or ride a Sky Specced Pinarello.

Which is odd when I m sure all those brands take great pride in trading off the fact they have the World champ on their rosta.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    When I was Younger. Late 20 's I think, I m now 40. I was doing some riding around the top end of lake Garda.

Wasnt really thinking about my kit at the time I was wearing a long sleeve cannondale volvo xc world champs shirt (Think cuddles had won it for them) but riding a fully specced up specialized E5 ALA Cippo Zebra style.

Stopped for a break in Desenzano only to find a chain gang containing Cippolini, because of the bike and the Jersey I moved on fairly swiftish, well as swift as I could.

So no wouldnt wear a World Champs jersey. Or a Yellow Green or Polka Dot or ride a Sky Specced Pinarello.

Which is odd when I m sure all those brands take great pride in trading off the fact they have the World champ on their rosta.
  • mikeeye
    Giraffoto wrote:
    36 to 45 is not middle-aged

OED says middle-aged is 45 to 60

I'm confused now - I'm 42, so when I bought a mountain bike a month ago was I having a mid life crisis or not? I do hope I was, I'd hate to think I still had to buy a motorbike/sportscar or get a tattoo
    Absolutely. You're mountain bike purchase (assuming that you're pulling wheelies and locking up your back wheel at every opportunity) is clearly because you're going through a mid-life crisis and therefore definitely removes the need for you to get a tattoo.

But you're not middle-aged. Mid-life is not the same as middle-aged.

I hope this clears it up for you ;-)
  • MikeEye wrote:
    Looks like the MAMILs have the biggest issue with jerseys. Perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing...

I'm 45 - does that mean I'm both?
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    neeb wrote:
    I've articulated my opinions on the matter perfectly clearly elsewhere.

...and now you're making the same point on another, identical thread in the same forum. Good work.
  • So wait. I'm confused.

Do we now have to use cancer as the yardstick we measure the seriousness of topics of discussion to decide if we're allowed to talk about them?

If you have such major things going on in your life, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere instead of berating people on a bike forum.

And you'll notice I haven't actually posted an opinion on the whole jersey matter. I don't give a toss. I just think if people want to discuss it then let them instead passing judgement over whether it worthy of discussion.
  • mikeeye
    MikeEye wrote:

I'm 45 - does that mean I'm both?
    I suppose it does, though given that I'm 47 myself I like to think that the OED has got the starting age for middle-aged wrong ;-)
  • meanredspider
    So wait. I'm confused.

Do we now have to use cancer as the yardstick we measure the seriousness of topics of discussion to decide if we're allowed to talk about them?

If you have such major things going on in your life, perhaps your time would be better spent elsewhere instead of berating people on a bike forum.

And you'll notice I haven't actually posted an opinion on the whole jersey matter. I don't give a toss. I just think if people want to discuss it then let them instead passing judgement over whether it worthy of discussion.

Yup - you are confused.

I didn't say it wasn't worthy of discussion. What I said was actually part of the debate. But I think you kinda missed it in your excitement.
  • Sorry. Pedant alert. You didn't say it wasn't worthy of discussion.

But by saying there are so many other things worth worrying about, the implication was the same.
  • meanredspider
    Sorry. Pedant alert. You didn't say it wasn't worthy of discussion.

But by saying there are so many other things worth worrying about, the implication was the same.

Not at all. I just can't believe there are people worried about what jerseys other people are wearing (that's one side of the Great Jersey Debate).

You were so keen to jump in with your point, you missed that and have gone on with a one-man argument about what's worthy of discussion. Well fill yer boots.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oops. I voted for the top one and I meant the 2nd one.

under 25. Don't care at all.

Go and enjoy yourself. I have the lance 7 star celbratory 7 wins of the TdF. Its an amusing talking point and can fit a whole loaf of soreen in the back pocket. What more could you want?
  • all those options confuse me!

don't give a toss really i Wear fabian cancellara's kit (swiss champs kit) not many people faster then me though ;)
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • holker
    holker Posts: 88
    neeb wrote:
    It's clear from a recent thread (and others in the past) that there's simply a deep-seated lack of understanding between the two sides in this debate. I was wondering if opinions were significantly split along generational lines.

Please DON'T use this thread to actually debate the issue itself (there's quite enough of that elsewhere :wink: ), only to discuss the question raised by the poll.

In defiance of your final statement, on the basis of votes casted so far it would appear that the answer to your question is no. The only age group with a clear majority with one particular view is the > 55, and the total number of votes in this category is low so the result is probably statistically insignificant. It's also noticeable that in total there is a 50/50 split between those that think wearing a replica jersy is a cardinal sin and those that believe it's ok.
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I do roll sometimes in full sky kit and a pinarello ( sky colours )

Could not give a rats bottom what people think
  • The first jersey I bought (to race in) was a trade team jersey. The local shop I bought it from didn't make any mention about not being allowed to race in it. I bought it because their selection was limited and I liked it.

Now I know etiquette I wouldn't wear a leaders jersey or world champs jersey but I would't mind any newbies wearing them.

Anyone who has been riding for long enough to know that it is frowned upon should know better.
  • not many people faster then me though ;)

Not in southport unless they've Canc's proprietary battery powered zimmer. :D:D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • kev77 wrote:
    I do roll sometimes in full sky kit and a pinarello ( sky colours )

Could not give a rats bottom what people think

Nice one Kev.

Ditto but my Pinny is not Sky coloured.

I don't give a flying fcuk what any other cyclist be they leisure, commuter, club or professional thinks either !
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    this thread has prompted me to thinking my next jersey may well be a world champ one, just to wind up those it offends so much.
    FCN 12
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Well i may push the boat out and turn out in a TDF leaders jersey!!!

In my eye's what you wear should not be frowned upon if it is a retro jersey from prendas or any upto date team kit

does it honestly matter? Elements of this sport will turn into snobbery which i cannot stand

It is about enjoying yourself and getting fit
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I was going to post on this but the title was too long and I lost intere....
    The older I get the faster I was
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    holker wrote:
    In defiance of your final statement, on the basis of votes casted so far it would appear that the answer to your question is no. The only age group with a clear majority with one particular view is the > 55, and the total number of votes in this category is low so the result is probably statistically insignificant. It's also noticeable that in total there is a 50/50 split between those that think wearing a replica jersy is a cardinal sin and those that believe it's ok.
    Yup, for all practical purposes it's split 50:50 right through the age groups, which is pretty interesting and refutes my initial hypothesis that it might be a generational thing (yes OK, I know the sample size isn't big enough to really refute anything).

So what I'm thinking now is that it's probably the type of cycling people do and/or club membership that shapes their attitudes. I'd be tempted to do another poll but I'm not sure I could be arsed with the inevitable escalation in "non-caring" from the people who really, really, couldn't give a toss in the slightest, with bells on. :wink:

Still, no doubt that it's a genuinely controversial issue and that the people who think it's not the done thing to wear an unearned WC jersey aren't just some weird minority of snobs and obsessives. To my mind it's just a nice tradition in cycling and a way of showing respect to the champions.