Poll on jersey etiquette and age

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited October 2011 in Road beginners
It's clear from a recent thread (and others in the past) that there's simply a deep-seated lack of understanding between the two sides in this debate. I was wondering if opinions were significantly split along generational lines.

Please DON'T use this thread to actually debate the issue itself (there's quite enough of that elsewhere :wink: ), only to discuss the question raised by the poll.

Comments

• 8 votes from 80 views answers the question without using the option...
    Who cares.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    is this all really necessary....? Who gives a fjork....
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    8 votes from 80 views answers the question without using the option...
    Who cares.

You care enough to post though :roll:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • neeb
    Well, the helmet poll two or three pages back got 172 votes from 3107 views.

BHW & pseudonymn, maybe you need to come out of the closet, sounds like you have some unresolved issues...
  • Pseudonym wrote:

Who really gives a fork about 99% of what is discussed on internet forums!?

Perhaps we should pass all topics of discussion past your highness first to see if they are worthy? :roll:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Looks like the MAMILs have the biggest issue with jerseys. Perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • neeb
    Not really a big enough sample yet but, yes, so far it looks like the under 35s and over 35s might be split on this. Of course the 35-45s might not all be MAMILs, there might be some MAWILs amongst them!
  • Sample size is such that your r^2 (correlation coefficient) will be <025 - I can prove that if you want. You need .96 to get a statistically valid result.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym wrote:

Who really gives a fork about 99% of what is discussed on internet forums!?

Perhaps we should pass all topics of discussion past your highness first to see if they are worthy? :roll:

that would be good, thanks. Please send your submissions to: 'ivegotfkallelsetoworryabout@nobodycares.com
  • neeb
    Pseudonym wrote:
    that would be good, thanks. Please send your submissions to: 'ivegotfkallelsetoworryabout@nobodycares.com
    Maybe when you've quite finished NGaF you could stop posting on the topic and go off and spread joy and enlightenment somewhere else..
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You forgot the options for "Don't care, I'm not precious enough to worry about it"
    (Clearly, Colin's (Pokerface) not included in my previous statement :wink: )
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    of course it's ok - it's only a bloody jersey.
  • neeb
    MattC59 wrote:
    You forgot the options for "Don't care, I'm not precious enough to worry about it"
    Yup, sorry, and I also forgot "Can't really articulate myself but feel a strange need to come on here and post cr*p."
  • Pseudonym
    neeb wrote:
    Yup, sorry, and I also forgot "Can't really articulate myself but feel a strange need to come on here and post cr*p."

what, like you did..? ;)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Ooh, hell hath no fury like a pollster scorned.
  • neeb
    Pseudonym wrote:
    neeb wrote:

what, like you did..? ;)
    I've articulated my opinions on the matter perfectly clearly elsewhere.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You probably should have grouped the yes's and no's to make it a little easier to interpret and you need to normalise against the number of people in each category. At the moment the poll just looks like the age profile of the forum. Still, you can see that so far the 25-35s appear least fussed.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    To my mind and others will differ the wearing of the shirt indicates support for the true wearer. So no problems.

I've been wearing High Road gear since the took over from T mobile. Cav fan.

However a real problem now he's at Sky as I absolutely detest the Murdochs. But defend to the death the Brit. riders.
  • meanredspider
    Rolf F wrote:
    You probably should have grouped the yes's and no's to make it a little easier to interpret and you need to normalise against the number of people in each category. At the moment the poll just looks like the age profile of the forum. Still, you can see that so far the 25-35s appear least fussed.

Without getting too "technical" about it (given what sort of survey it is :wink: ) you're just looking for the biggest significant different between the Ys & Ns in each age group. At the moment, the 35-45s seem to have a shade more Yes votes than No votes - most of the other groups are more-or-less equal - hence why it seems to be the MAMILs (and MAWILs potentially) that seem to be bothered most by the jersey issue. The younger folk are too busy trying to get a decent job and a decent mate to care and the older folk are realising none of this stuff matters :D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

Without getting too "technical" about it (given what sort of survey it is :wink: ) you're just looking for the biggest significant different between the Ys & Ns in each age group. At the moment, the 35-45s seem to have a shade more Yes votes than No votes - most of the other groups are more-or-less equal - hence why it seems to be the MAMILs (and MAWILs potentially) that seem to be bothered most by the jersey issue. The younger folk are too busy trying to get a decent job and a decent mate to care and the older folk are realising none of this stuff matters :D

Well, the oldies are actually potentially foaming at the mouth about it! However, I'm just trying to troll up a nice argument about stats to fend off the inevitable slide of this thread down the same stripey pole as the other one. Notice that so far, no-one who has posted about the issue (rather than the statistical validity) has actually mentioned their age thus defeating the point of their posts!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    It's evening out a little now in the 35-45s, and there really aren't enough votes yet in the older categories to say anything (statistically rubber-stamped or otherwise.. :wink: )

Still looks like about half of the 25-35s are bothered.

I'm beginning to think it's looking more like an even split across the age groups, might have more to do with type of cycling activity / club membership than age.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    you can see that so far the 25-35s appear least fussed.

Aren't they less fussed about most things?
  • meanredspider
    All I can say (as a 47 year old with a kid who has spent the last year being treated for an aggressive cancer - successfully it seems) is - if you can hot and bothered about what's on a jersey, you've totally lost sight of what's important in the world. Take a trip to a teenage cancer ward then tell me it matters.
  • this is all dumb. wear what you want, when you want, how u want. end of story
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    edited October 2011
    neeb wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Was that aimed at me ? I'm a little unsure as you haven't articulated yoursef very well.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    this is all dumb. wear what you want, when you want, how u want. end of story

+1

although if you are going to wear a winners jersey of any type you may look a little foolish if you don't have the legs to back it up. But if that's OK with you good. Wear what you want.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Take a trip to a teenage cancer ward then tell me it matters.

Don't forget the starving kids in Africa. And all the Aids babies. And refugee kids too.

There are always more important things in life to some people. That's not the issue.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Wear what you like, I wear a Timothy Taylor Landlord jersey, doesn't mean i'm an alcoholic

I can stop anytime....
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • meanredspider
    Don't forget the starving kids in Africa. And all the Aids babies. And refugee kids too.

Too right. So let's all get steamed up about the jerseys other people are wearing :roll: I'm glad we've got our priorities right here. Words fail me...
  • Don't forget the starving kids in Africa. And all the Aids babies. And refugee kids too.

Too right. So let's all get steamed up about the jerseys other people are wearing :roll: I'm glad we've got our priorities right here. Words fail me...

We shall only henceforth discuss weighty topics such as 'the path to world peace', 'debt crisis management', 'why cancer sucks' and 'population management'.