Etapes 2012

Comments

• I'm going down to Pau for Acte 2 from Plymouth across to Roscoff and down. I'm driving and so far on my own. I have room for another and their bike if anyone is interesting in sharing some of the costs. I intend finding accommodation in Pau when I arrive howveer will be taking a tent just in case accommodation is hard to find. If anyone is interested you would just need to go on as a foot passenger and arrange your own crossing cost as a foot passenger and just help me out with fuel costs, I'll pay for the car as I'd be doing so anyway. Here are the ferry times I have booked.

OUTBOUND FROM PLYMOUTH
    Departure: Thur 12 Jul 2012 20:45 :
    Arrival: Fri 13 Jul 2012 08:00

INBOUND FROM ROSCOFF
    Departure: Mon 16 Jul 2012 23:00
    Arrival: Tue 17 Jul 2012 06:30

If you are interested please get back to me at rosskernick @ gmail . com
  • Anyone need a Lift to Pau - I'm Driving from Roscoff

Postby rosskernick » Mon Mar 5, 2012 7:20 pm
    I'm going down to Pau for Acte 2 from Plymouth across to Roscoff and down. I'm driving and so far on my own. I have room for another and their bike if anyone is interesting in sharing some of the costs. I intend finding accommodation in Pau when I arrive howveer will be taking a tent just in case accommodation is hard to find. If anyone is interested you would just need to go on as a foot passenger and arrange your own crossing cost as a foot passenger and just help me out with fuel costs, I'll pay for the car as I'd be doing so anyway. Here are the ferry times I have booked.

OUTBOUND FROM PLYMOUTH
    Departure: Thur 12 Jul 2012 20:45 :
    Arrival: Fri 13 Jul 2012 08:00

INBOUND FROM ROSCOFF
    Departure: Mon 16 Jul 2012 23:00
    Arrival: Tue 17 Jul 2012 06:30

If you are interested please get back to me at rosskernick @ gmail . com
  • I am also doing Act 2...however, I am a bit of a nivice when it comes to these events. I have booked a flight to Toulouse (from aberdeen) and train to Pau. I also have accommodation in Pau for the Fri and Saturday...

One thing I have yet to give serious thought to is getting back to Pau from the finish at Bagneres de Luchon...does anyone have any tips on how to somehow get a lift back for me and the bike (is there any transport laid on or is that just for those paying fortunes through tour companies)

I am a wee bit apprehensive about the event and under no illusions as to how tough it will be. I am currently doing 5 spin classes per week and approx 50 miles on a saturday. I will try and do 150-200 miles per week in May then up that to 200-250 in June (do a few century rides) I am a fair bit over weight at 15st 5lbs (5'10.5) but hope to lose a stone or slightly more before the event. I dont cycle a lot at other times in the year but did do LEJOG in 6.5 days a couple of years ago (went on my bike for first time in a few years on April 4th and did the 886 miles at the beginning of the august the same year...so I know that I can do such distances but obviously not climbing so much. I intend to utilise the likes of the Lecht, Cairn O Mount and Glenshee during longer training rides from now on.
  • I am also doing Act 2...however, I am a bit of a nivice when it comes to these events. I have booked a flight to Toulouse (from aberdeen) and train to Pau. I also have accommodation in Pau for the Fri and Saturday...

One thing I have yet to give serious thought to is getting back to Pau from the finish at Bagneres de Luchon...does anyone have any tips on how to somehow get a lift back for me and the bike (is there any transport laid on or is that just for those paying fortunes through tour companies)

I am a wee bit apprehensive about the event and under no illusions as to how tough it will be. I am currently doing 5 spin classes per week and approx 50 miles on a saturday. I will try and do 150-200 miles per week in May then up that to 200-250 in June (do a few century rides) I am a fair bit over weight at 15st 5lbs (5'10.5) but hope to lose a stone or slightly more before the event. I dont cycle a lot at other times in the year but did do LEJOG in 6.5 days a couple of years ago (went on my bike for first time in a few years on April 4th and did the 886 miles at the beginning of the august the same year...so I know that I can do such distances but obviously not climbing so much. I intend to utilise the likes of the Lecht, Cairn O Mount and Glenshee during longer training rides from now on.

So you're praparing for a 200km mountainous bike ride by going to spin classes?

Pretty underprepred by the sounds of it, I suggest you ditch the spin classes and get out and do some bike riding.

This Etape is going to be a very very hard day out and you're just going to be getting in the way if you turn up and aren't properly trained.
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    Bit harsh that Rodrego, sounds like he's got the training under control.

It's also my first Etape, only started riding last June. I have ridden a fair bit since then though, lost 25kgs and am doing 150 miles plus every week. This is increasing as light gets available! Have done 100 miler last month and have 3 more planned, all hilly in Peak District. Have a training schedule that should have in condition to at least complete the Etape,

Did several coached turbo sessions with club over the winter, these were a great way to develop power, and I am starting adding a time trial into the mix every now and again from next week. Half hour sustained power is not too bad a prep for a Pyrenean climb, I expect to be taking over an hour to get up them and am really looking forward to it. Flying to Biarritz and stopping in Pau, riding with a mate and another clubmate as well.

Really looking forward to a post ride beer, as I've banned myself at the moment.
  • Not really. It's the Etape, not the London to Brighton. It's 200km over some of the toughest mountains in Europe, riders shouldn't treat it lightly and to be honest a few spin classes and upping the mileage in May is a recipe for a DNF.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    I respect the spirit of those that haven't had a lot of history at doing major European Sportives but want to give it a try.
    Some of the blunt advice has more than an element of experience and also hard truth to them, could have been better put but none the less to a large extent true.
    It would be a much better bet to make the Etape a goal a bit more into the future for some who have only just recently got into endurance cycling, work the events around measurement goals that suit the progress made in fitness terms. For some this would mean an aim to do the Etape in 2013 or even 14, if you are anything like me you would like to do the event in reasonable shape and not crawl through the later stages on all fours virtually or worse still have to retire.
    Do some good base training upping mileage and gradients interspersed with events that are a chance to measure the gains, after some time then try a hard lumpy job in the UK in the first season, depending on age and potential it will take years to achieve the best level of endurance riding. Try an intermediate sportive around say the Limousine Region of France, excellent value for money and it will give experience of riding around other foreign nationals etc.
    Better crawl, walk and finally run in that order rather than run, walk then crawl. Maybe in second year try a holiday in the Dolomites July is great or the French Alps try out a few stand out climbs interspersed with a leisure day or recovery ride.
    Then try the Etape de Tour 'mon brave homme' :)
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Bit harsh that Rodrego, sounds like he's got the training under control.

It's also my first Etape, only started riding last June. I have ridden a fair bit since then though, lost 25kgs and am doing 150 miles plus every week. This is increasing as light gets available! Have done 100 miler last month and have 3 more planned, all hilly in Peak District. Have a training schedule that should have in condition to at least complete the Etape,

Did several coached turbo sessions with club over the winter, these were a great way to develop power, and I am starting adding a time trial into the mix every now and again from next week. Half hour sustained power is not too bad a prep for a Pyrenean climb, I expect to be taking over an hour to get up them and am really looking forward to it. Flying to Biarritz and stopping in Pau, riding with a mate and another clubmate as well.

Really looking forward to a post ride beer, as I've banned myself at the moment.

Sounds like you are nicely on track. I'd try and get in some back to back 30 min efforts as the Tourmalet for example is likely to take closer to 2 than 1 hours so you'll need all the sustained power you can muster.

The other big bit of advice is to make sure your group riding skills are up to scratch as there will be some chunky sections where riding in a group will save you lots of energy (particularly between the bottom of the Tourmalet and the main kick of the Aspin, which is a long slow drag). The continental guys can get quite aggressive in their group riding so its worth getting used to a few club runs/chaingangs.

Edit: And also don't neglect your descending skills. There's no point smashing up the climb and then spending the entire descent hard on the brakes. It's quite easy over the course of the Aubisque, Tourmalet and Aspin descent to safely make up a good 15 to 20 mins if you are a confident descender so don't neglect this skill!!
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • xscreamsuk
    Cheers, I'm out riding with club at least twice a week so group skills are getting honed. descending I know I need to improve, just don't trust some road surfaces, but can come down some of the Peak climbs at a reasonable lick. I'm just doing it more to get better and keep on the front part of the club group. Have topped out at 49 mph so far.

I was lucky to get an individual training plan by a coach for the 4 sportives and the etape, only missed 2 sessions since start of year, and that's cos I was in hospital.

Looking forward to it,
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited April 2012
    For Caledonian1

I have done the last 3 Etapes at circa 13 stone, you have to get used to seeing the lighter riders spinning past you up the climbs. To state the obvious with the Etape there is a lot of long and sustained climbing, particularly this year. At 14-15 stone that is going to require a significant effort. Also if you have not experienced riding in France in July, it can get very hot (and also very cold !) which can be incredibly energy sapping. I think your training looks on the light side and you will have to be prepared for a long old day in the saddle. Best of luck
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    Have to agree with the others Caledonian 1, the training does look a bit on the light side, particularly for Acte II which looks like a bugger. However, with your LEJOG experience you are obviously a stayer, which will help.

I did the Etape in 09 and 10 and the Marmotte last year. I am also on the heavy side and would have been lugging 14st up Ventoux in 09, not much less up the Tourmalet the year after but was down to 13st for the Marmotte last year. Dont underestimate the impact of the heat. As a big lad it really saps the energy, I nearly expired on Ventoux and the Tourmalet. Unfortunately in this part of the world there is no training you can do for it.

Still, hang in there, up the intensity on effort and mileage and stay away from cakes! Enjoy.
  • Ron Stuart
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    Cheers, I'm out riding with club at least twice a week so group skills are getting honed. descending I know I need to improve, just don't trust some road surfaces, but can come down some of the Peak climbs at a reasonable lick. I'm just doing it more to get better and keep on the front part of the club group. Have topped out at 49 mph so far.

I was lucky to get an individual training plan by a coach for the 4 sportives and the etape, only missed 2 sessions since start of year, and that's cos I was in hospital.

Looking forward to it,

A word of warning regards descent with thousands of others on the road... Don't be suckered into thinking the first time you do these type of descents your going to be an ace, like everything else it needs to be practiced. Even so it won't be after doing several of these type of events with lots of others around doing all sorts of strange manoeuvres when cornering that you will feel at home at it were. You will need one eye on the road and one on your neighbours and at the same time concentrating on technique. Making up 15 to 20mins on descents shouldn't be the goal in your first Etape. Just go there to find out how to do it better the next time and enjoy the experience. After all unlike the pros, you pay rather than being paid. :wink:
  • mrc1
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    xscreamsuk wrote:

Looking forward to it,

A word of warning regards descent with thousands of others on the road... Don't be suckered into thinking the first time you do these type of descents your going to be an ace, like everything else it needs to be practiced. Even so it won't be after doing several of these type of events with lots of others around doing all sorts of strange manoeuvres when cornering that you will feel at home at it were. You will need one eye on the road and one on your neighbours and at the same time concentrating on technique. Making up 15 to 20mins on descents shouldn't be the goal in your first Etape. Just go there to find out how to do it better the next time and enjoy the experience. After all unlike the pros, you pay rather than being paid. :wink:

While the first part of what you say is completely true and very sensible advice you rather miss the point given that a well practised descent is not only going to save you lots of time (as I alluded to) it is also going to be far safer and mean that you aren't going to be one of the people doing the "strange manoeuvres".

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • Ron Stuart
    mrc1 wrote:

While the first part of what you say is completely true and very sensible advice you rather miss the point given that a well practised descent is not only going to save you lots of time (as I alluded to) it is also going to be far safer and mean that you aren't going to be one of the people doing the "strange manoeuvres".

You didn't (allude to) or for that matter suggest that the 'skills' you mentioned were only going to be gained by ' practise' you said “don't neglect your descending skills" and "don't neglect this skill" no mention at all of how he should go about gaining these 'skills'. Further more the way your post was worded gave the impression that the guy should already have these skills :!:
    My point was that it is impossible to assimilate the type of descent that will be encountered in the alpine stages in the UK, that is why I suggested he visit this type of parcours if possible prior to doing it with thousands of others. In bad weather big descents can be a nightmare for most with the cold making you and the bike shake like a leaf. It's all about the right experience and practise that gets you doing it well.
    There are major differences in the descending abilities in the pro peloton when the guys have done numerous TDF's and the like. Translate this back to a guy's first outing in the Etape in a field of thousands of other riders and it gets even more of a steep learning curve (no pun intended).
    This descending ability doesn't come overnight although it can go overnight with a visit or two to the tarmac :wink:
  • xscreamsuk
    I don't think I'm going to be an ace on the descents, just reasonably safe. We have a few 3 - 4 mile descents around here at 4 - 7% that I am happy with, and a lot steeper as well. My goal is simply to get round, I've gone from 15 1/2 to under 12 stones, happily riding 70 plus every Sunday since August. I can now manage climbs without being dropped in the club group.

After club ride last night I had a 7 mile ride home in 2 deg c, pouring rain and down a cow shit covered 1 mile descent at about 9%, was freezing but managed fine. I shall be taking plenty clothing for The Etape and am aware of the heat etc.

One Etape has to be your first, I reckon I'll be ready by July.
  • Ron Stuart
    Good Luck, sounds like your no man's fool :wink:
  • mrc1
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

You didn't (allude to) or for that matter suggest that the 'skills' you mentioned were only going to be gained by ' practise' you said “don't neglect your descending skills" and "don't neglect this skill" no mention at all of how he should go about gaining these 'skills'. Further more the way your post was worded gave the impression that the guy should already have these skills :!:

I'm not one for internet disagreements and picking apart other posts as it seems pretty daft and results from misunderstandings, but given that my whole post was aimed at things to train and work on ahead of the event (2x30s, group riding and descending) I'd have thought it was probably pretty obvious that I was suggesting people don't "neglect their descending skills" when training, as countless riders do - if it didn't read that way then fair enough!

As Ron wisely suggested - if there is anyone out there who does want to get some Pyrenean descending under their belt prior to the big day then our Etape training camps should be just the ticket :lol:

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mrc1
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    I don't think I'm going to be an ace on the descents, just reasonably safe. We have a few 3 - 4 mile descents around here at 4 - 7% that I am happy with, and a lot steeper as well. My goal is simply to get round, I've gone from 15 1/2 to under 12 stones, happily riding 70 plus every Sunday since August. I can now manage climbs without being dropped in the club group.

After club ride last night I had a 7 mile ride home in 2 deg c, pouring rain and down a cow shoot covered 1 mile descent at about 9%, was freezing but managed fine. I shall be taking plenty clothing for The Etape and am aware of the heat etc.

One Etape has to be your first, I reckon I'll be ready by July.

Good work sounds like you are well on track.

Clothing wise I'd definitely get a set of knee and arm warmers if you haven't already got them and a lightweight windproof jacket that rolls up into a jersey pocket. You can roll the warmers up out of the way on the climbs when you are overheating and then roll them down when it gets colder/to ward off wind chill and can add the wind proof if needed. Much more manageable than more bulky gear and should cover off most eventualities!

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • After last years Etape debacle (for me anyway), some interesting, and slightly wacky ideas came up. The mountains can be really fickle, sounds obvious, but in Issoire last year it was 17C at the start and dry, after 2 hours riding it was 2C and sleet.
    Ideas mentioned, take a hotel shower cap, this can go under your helmet and keep your head drier, latex gloves could be put on over/under your mitts, close the vents in your shoes with duct tape, keeps your feet much drier tear it off if you don't need it. None of these cost you much weight, but might just give you the margin. When it's cold and wet no one's going to notice anyway :D
  • AlunP
    AlunP Posts: 106
    I have entered both but don't think I will make Act 2. I fell off a bike (a Kawasaki 650 - I'm 57 and old enough to know better) a couple of months ago and healing up has left me too short of training time before July. I have come off bikes wearing lycra & armoured clothing. I recommend the latter but its a bit heavy & sweaty for cycling in :lol:

At the moment I am 12st 6 (6feet) and I am confident that I will lose 10/12 lbs before Albertville. At the moment I'm happy doing 50 milers locally with the likes of Horseshoe Pass thrown in but having winched up the Tourmalet two years ago on a granny gear I don't think it's realistic to get fit enough in time, but I haven't totally given up hope. There is simply nothing in the UK to compare with these monsters.

But if I had that Kawasaki again....
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    dandrew wrote:
    My mates wife is a doctor. She signed us both off.
    I doubt these things are actually checked. Probably only an issue if you have serious foreseeable health problems in the race.

Out of interest did you use the certificate which is on the official site as a pdf download and did the doctor change the wording at all?
    I ask because I spoke to my doctor today and she said that I could either pay £20 but she would change it to "a check of records would indicate......" but if I had a full examination she would have to charge £120.

Anyone foresee a problem with the word examination being crossed out and replaced with the above? I'd hate to turn up and be told it wasn't good enough.
  • Ron Stuart
    Oxoneil, your doctor doesn't have to charge anything at all, maybe she just needs to use bit of commonsense and realise that by keeping yourself healthy you are reducing the potential of becoming a financial burden on the health service at a later date. God knows the GP'S are paid enough already these days, having a proper free basic health check should be the right of any of us, finding a problem early can save countless thousands of pounds at a later date. It would pay for itself many fold over. Ask her how much it costs the health service to treat Diabetics alone, Diabetics some of which have developed the condition as a result of gluttony/lack of exercise. :shock:
  • oxoneil
    So anyway back to my question, anyone with any experience with tampering with the wording of the provided certificate?

Thanks.
  • mabarbie
    mabarbie Posts: 64
    For those worried about descending, the following may be useful http://www.flammerouge.je/content/3_factsheets/constant/descend.htm. I did the etape 2010 and love going downhill (I have been lucky enough to ride in Spain a bit, so long descents came with the territory), but did see some very worrying stuff, with people having absolutely no confidence and making it difficult for others to follow what would be the 'racing line'. If this is the case, relax, stay calm, there will be time to go quicker then them at some stage.

The best thing I did for 2010 was to drive the route the day before, certainly prepared me for the ride the next day, both up and down.
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil wrote:
    So anyway back to my question, anyone with any experience with tampering with the wording of the provided certificate?

Thanks.

Someone, please?
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    I would not, they do check the forms when you hand them in, well they did with mine anyway. They are not just put in a pile and not looked at. You do not want to get that close and then be told you cannot ride because of a few words crossed out. Just get your doc to sign it as it is, should not be an issue.
  • oxoneil
    Boleynboy wrote:
    I would not, they do check the forms when you hand them in, well they did with mine anyway. They are not just put in a pile and not looked at. You do not want to get that close and then be told you cannot ride because of a few words crossed out. Just get your doc to sign it as it is, should not be an issue.

Yeah but for her to sign it unaltered she's going to charge me £120 which I'm keen to avoid paying when I know I'm perfectly capable of riding it.

Thanks for the replies anyway.
  • skippa76
    skippa76 Posts: 284
    Hi there,

I've signed up for the Etape Act 2 and the training has been going okay, although i did suffer a groin strain the other month which put me off the bike for a few weeks. I'm getting back on track now with a few sportives factored in to the training. However, I was wondering if anyone knows what the time limit is for the Etape Act 2... just so that i know what level of effort I need to keep up to avoid the sweeper!
  • freddy2
    freddy2 Posts: 30
    The route and timings are available for both. Here's the link to Act 2

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET2/us/Time-schedule.html

There seems to be more time allowed than usual, probably because there are 5 mountains to climb and the finish town wants to make the most of it.

It'll be nice to finish in a town rather than on top of a mountain. Especially if you have family or friends waiting for your return.
  • oxoneil
    Well I have finally resolved my dilemma over the medical certificate. I thought the other day that maybe I should call another surgery to see if they would see me as an un-registered patient and I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist who, when I told her what it was for, said to me "Oh in that case I'll get Dr Cartwright to call you, he does triathlons and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal!!!"

When he phoned me back he couldn't have been more helpful and said he'd probably charge about £25, happy days.

Now I've found a sports friendly GP I'll be asking if I can transfer to their practise.