Etapes 2012

Comments

• Been eyeing the etape for quite a while, think its time to finally bite the bullet. 2 questions though:
    1 - Any stats on Act 1? like total vertical, cat of climbs etc?
    2 - Stuck in London, so wondering if anyone has any experience on how to overcome the lack of climbs here? trainer? head out to the hills? if so what hills? extra intense laps of Richmond?
    Cheers guys,
    TBK.
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    I think there have been quite a few posts on the subject of etape training - just see last year's threads. I think you will need to get to the hills (Surrey?) for some decent training, but I happen to think that some of the best work you can do for the alps or pyrenees is on the flat anyway since there is nowhere in the uk that quite replicates the very long climbs. i.e. hard constant effort for over an hour - riding fast on the flat. Otherwise packing up the front wheel on the turbo and setting to for a drawn-out sweatfest could do it. This can also replicate the heat you're likely to encounter on the day 8)
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • JSS
    JSS Posts: 55
    Been eyeing the etape for quite a while, think its time to finally bite the bullet. 2 questions though:
    1 - Any stats on Act 1? like total vertical, cat of climbs etc?
    2 - Stuck in London, so wondering if anyone has any experience on how to overcome the lack of climbs here? trainer? head out to the hills? if so what hills? extra intense laps of Richmond?
    Cheers guys,
    TBK.

According to the Etape Acte I route profile I did on the day the route was announced (at http://www.sportive.com/2012-etape-du-t ... e-analysis - sorry if this is considered spamming, please remove it if it is) it has 4,370 metres of climbing.

I did Acre I last year and am stuck in central-ish London (Tufnell Park). I did a lot of climbing of Highgate Hill, Swains Lane, Muswell Hill and Highgate West Hill (five of each on a Sunday morning) and then did interval training on circuits of Regents Park and on the turbo at home. I also did four sportives (about one every six weeks) before the Etape so I felt that I could do the miles and that I had some experience of riding in groups. But most of the training was on my own and involved packing as much variety in as possible...

I would recommend getting a) a proper bike fitting to avoid injury and b) a book about training for cycling so you can work out what sort of thresholds you should be aiming to be at etc - just sitting on a bike for five hours isn't necessarily great for training.
  • Hello All.

First post, but don't think I am going over old ground.

4 friends and I are are looking to do Act 2 next year. We are keen to organise the trip ourselves rather then pay an operator upward of 300% mark up on entries. (They did the Alp d'Huez this year - went with sports tours and had a series of horrible experiences). They have talked me into doing next years.

We are all differing ages, but are a fairly similar standard. We are keen to ride together but don't know much about how Pens are allocated. They were all split up this year, even thou they booked as a group with Sports tours.

Does anybody have any tips about how we could increase our chances of being in the same Pen at the start when we register on-line on the 17th ? Or is it really a total lottery?

Any info for a newbie would be much appreciated.

Fin.
    Colnago Primavera 105
    Giant XTC Advanced XTR
  • From my experience last year of a online entry probably the only way of ensuring you're in the same pen is for none of you to enter previous results in the entry, that way you'll be put at the back but all together.
    Trainee BC level 2 coach ... and that's offical (30th June 2013)

Scott Addict R4 (2008)
    Scott Genius MC30 (2006)
    Quest carbon circa 1994 - winter bike
    Fuji Track Comp 2010
  • JSS
    SirFin wrote:
    They did the Alp d'Huez this year - went with sports tours and had a series of horrible experiences).

I don't think they were alone in that experience. I certainly wasn't impressed by STI, although we did the entry only and the Yorkshire training camp. Let's just say they are somewhat chaotic and attention to detail isn't their strongest point.
  • Hugh A
    We too had some problems with a well known bike tour operator and have been doing it ourselves since with much more fun all round. Our solution is to hire a gite or house vaguely near the start. The major logistical problem is to drive to the finish the day before and get back to base - a bit tiring for the day before.

An ideal solution is to have a non-riding member of the party who can take you to the start on the day then drive to the finish for collection, stopping only to cheer you on en route!

Allocation of numbers is a bit random. Maybe if you all post identical results for sportives in June you will be in the same pen but I wouldn't bet on it. The pen managers will often let you get into a higher number pen (i.e. further back from the start) than your allocation to be with friends, but not the other way round. Whichever way you do it, you will likely end up with a later start to ride togather. If by any chance your faster members have higher numbers then you can just wait to be caught by them.

Bon chance
  • Don't tell everyone, but it is sometimes quite easy to switch pens on the day! Depending on the layout of the start. One in our group (who incidentally finished when I didn't!) changed into my higher pen by simply lifting his bike over the barrier! I don't think they are too anal about it as long as everyone is spread out.
  • Hugh A
    ok sometimes it works - but I have seen people being pulled out of the pen and sent to the last one for doing just that. It very much depends on the staff there , but the French sense of order can be quite offended by transgressors in that respect, so just make sure you are not seen.
  • JSS
    Don't tell everyone, but it is sometimes quite easy to switch pens on the day! Depending on the layout of the start. One in our group (who incidentally finished when I didn't!) changed into my higher pen by simply lifting his bike over the barrier! I don't think they are too anal about it as long as everyone is spread out.

I saw plenty of people being chased out of a higher pen for having the wrong number in last year's Etape part 1. It definitely is easier to do if you are French/speak fluent French but I wouldn't say you'd get away with it very often.
  • 1 day to go, and I'm beginning to think logistics. For Act 1 that is...
    Can anyone tell me if there is a coach service to bring you back from the finish, or do you have to do that on your own steam? Can imagine quite a bit of congestion if there's no group service...

If you stayed out of town, is it possible to drive in on the morning and dump the car somewhere?

cheers,
    tbk.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    Most people want to leave their car at the finish so there is a shuttle back to the start town the day before the etape. Last year there was no transport back to the start on the day of the race, I assume because most people would be heading home after the etape and wouldn't want an extra 3 hours or so drive back to the start.
    If staying out of town you're best trying to get a ( booked) taxi into town. Quite a lot of people had 10 mile or so rides in to town on the morning. There is a baggage system where you can drop off a bag with all your overnight stuff in it and pick it up at the finish.
  • Any clue how to get the website entry to work. Found the page but keeps kicking me out after i fill the form in. Busy i guess?
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Any clue how to get the website entry to work. Found the page but keeps kicking me out after i fill the form in. Busy i guess?
    I'm in.
    If you get that 'Service Unavailable' page, close the window, go back to the entry form and press the Enter button again. Might take a couple of tries but you'll get thru. Just busy.
  • I got the same for a while. try opening the form up and filling it in on several windows at the same time.(just dont pay on more than one)
    Think i got in but would like a full confirmation email.
    Good luck!
  • Just getting 'page not available' error sign. Sigh....
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Cant even get the form window open now.
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Im in. Just waiting for email to confirm. If anyone else is struggling, paste this into browser:

http://orion.addx-tech.com/edmpublic/in ... 58&lang=en

it worked better than trying to get the form window open via the 'registration' page link.
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Congratulations Robert, now all we have to do is train for it!
  • Anyone had a proper confirmation email?
    All i've had is a receipt from tdelpeuch@mresapub.net
    Paranoid voice is suggesting this could be from anyone out there.
  • As well as one from tdelpeuch confirming payment, I also got one from letapedutour@aso.fr to confirm entry (in french and english).
    Ca roule ma poule?
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    A bit frustrating, but after a few attempts it went through.
  • davemac73 wrote:
    Anyone had a proper confirmation email?
    All i've had is a receipt from tdelpeuch@mresapub.net
    Paranoid voice is suggesting this could be from anyone out there.

yes I had the same happen, email from tdelpeuch@mresapub.net but no confirmation. stupily tried again same thing, hopefully not 150 euros out of pocket without an entry. My French is not so good to be able to call them and explain whats happened
  • Have you checked the list of entrants? Its under runners list on the website.
    I've still not appeared on it nearly 2 hours later.
    I suppose they will be busy.
  • JLC
    JLC Posts: 39
    I have confirmation email that payment has been made but no confirmation from ASO even though I entered a couple of hours ago. I will keep my fingers crossed for the ASO confimation, unless I missed a step and there has been an error.
  • davemac73 wrote:
    Have you checked the list of entrants? Its under runners list on the website.
    I've still not appeared on it nearly 2 hours later.
    I suppose they will be busy.

not on there, my friend who registered at the same time is ! only difference is that I entered previous results in the etape, my friend left it blank, wonder if that has anything to do with it
  • Same here, and for another 7 of the 10 of us who have entered. It can't be just me.......................
  • We can't all have made an @rse of the booking form. Safety in numbers rule says we must all be in. slow_step you might be doing it twice in the same day! Best get training for that.
  • Could it be the difference between using a debit versus a credit card? I used a credit card.
  • Yep, Could be credit vs debit.

I got both emails and my name is in runners list about 20mins after entering. I used a credit card.

I agree, no need to panic. You all have proof of payment which is arguably more important than confirmation by ASO.

Any french lawyers out there?
    Ca roule ma poule?