Best Comic/Comedy Character

13»

Comments

• Cliveyp
    Cliveyp Posts: 173
    Ross Noble always has me in tears......I love the random-ness of his work. The fact that he can do a whole tour and only repeat one or two jokes bouncing the rest of the show off the audience.
    2015 Ridley Fenix 105
    2012 Cube Ltd SL
    2011 Trek 1.2 - Sold
    2001 Giant Boulder - Sold
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Just remembered another Paul Kaye AKA....

DENNIS PENNIS!!

His interviews with hollywood celebs are the stuff of legend! 8)
  • john_kline
    john_kline Posts: 2,151
    These have mostly already been mentioned, but I'll mention them again:
    Chris Morris
    Rik Mayall
    Bill Hicks
    Richard Pryor
    Robin Williams
    Larry David
    Garry Shandling
    Jerry Seinfeld
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Bob Monkhouse such a sharp mind.

Good call. Most people only associate Bob with cheesy gameshows, but he was actually a damn good stand-up with, as you say, an incredibly sharp - and quick - mind. At one point in his career he was also a cartoonist for The Beano, of all things.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Characters - Fast show IS the ONLY sketch show

Armstrong & Miller and Mitchell & Webb have also done some excellent stuff but on balance agree that The Fast Show was in a league of its own. Hmm, you know, wasn't it? Marvellous. ;)

David

yep & the first series of Big Train was absolutely superb too.

Graham linehan has never put a foot wrong
  • back in the day, The Big Yin was an absolutely brilliant story teller, and I loved the way he would go off on a tangent, but always return to where he left off from his story.

Also love Al Murray and Peter Kay and loads of others that I can't be arsed to type :)
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Bob Monkhouse such a sharp mind.

Good call. Most people only associate Bob with cheesy gameshows, but he was actually a damn good stand-up with, as you say, an incredibly sharp - and quick - mind. At one point in his career he was also a cartoonist for The Beano, of all things.

David

Great call, I'd only seen the old half-hour of his stand-up but it was up there with the best, it really was. As you say though he's associated with gameshows, I'd tell people how great his stand-up stuff was and they'd look at me like I was an idiot, they just wouldn't believe it.

Don't know why but the mention of Monkhouse brings another name up, Dave Allen.
  • max miller.

All the great comics had a great rhythm, which is half the joke really. Ronnie Barker had it, Bernard Manning had it, Bob Monkhouse had it, Eric Morecambe had it, Tommy Cooper had it and Ken Dodd has it. I think it had to do with having to start early playing to different crowds, not like nowadays where tv/internet are easy ways intoi the public mind.

ANyway Tommy Cooper would have been 90 thi syear.

"I went to buy a hat. The shopkeeper said Fedora. I said no 'it's for me'"

'people learn something new everyday, just today my wife learned that a car wont climb a telegraph pole."
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Another Max... Max Wall. Near the end of his life he did a lot of straight/serious theatre stuff but I saw him at the Greenwich Theatre in the early 70's doing his act in a 'Music Hall' show. the place was half empty, no atmosphere, until he started. By the second half I was in pain with laughing so much!
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Comedy Characters:

Kenny Powers
    Larry David (if you count that)
    Tobias Funke
    Alan Partridge
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Mike Myers, comedy genius.
    Matt stone, trey parker of South Park fame
  • Sir Henry (at rawlinsons end)
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    Stewie Griffin
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,177
    max miller.

All the great comics had a great rhythm, which is half the joke really. Ronnie Barker had it, Bernard Manning had it, Bob Monkhouse had it, Eric Morecambe had it, Tommy Cooper had it and Ken Dodd has it. I think it had to do with having to start early playing to different crowds, not like nowadays where tv/internet are easy ways intoi the public mind.

ANyway Tommy Cooper would have been 90 thi syear.

"I went to buy a hat. The shopkeeper said Fedora. I said no 'it's for me'"

'people learn something new everyday, just today my wife learned that a car wont climb a telegraph pole."

:?: :shock:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Chick Murray - a venerated Scottish Dour Faced Bastard but very funny

" I fell in the street. A woman says "did you fall?", I said "No I have a chocolate bar in my back pocket I need to break"
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    A few that always bring a laugh

Alun Cochrane
    Micky Flannigan
    Arthur Smith
    Bill Hicks
    Neil Delamere
    Sean Lock
    Dick Emery
    Bob Todd
    Chris Farley
    Arabella Weir
    Jenny Eclair
    Jack and Victor from Still Game
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Daniel Kitson.

Very very funny as a stand up, can also make you laugh and cry when telling one of his stories. If he was at all interested in TV he would be huge, thankfully he is not. The Comedians comedian.
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Chick Murray - a venerated Scottish Dour Faced Bastard but very funny

" I fell in the street. A woman says "did you fall?", I said "No I have a chocolate bar in my back pocket I need to break"

me dad loved chick murray, we used to get the sunday post, on a sunday bizarrely enough, and there was an interview with the great man. 'I went to an athletics event, this man asked me "are you a pole vaulter", I said "no, i'm scottish and my names not Walter"'
  • Laurel and Hardy.

Their comedy was pure genius and it doesn't matter how many times I see their stuff I can't help but laugh. Timeless.

+1

Marx Brothers anyone ?
    Groucho a genius, whos lines still stand up today!
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • Stand up:
    Ken Dodd - “Percy Shaw invented cats eyes when he was driving along the road one night and his headlights reflected in the eyes of a cat. If the cat had been facing the other way he would have invented the pencil sharpener instead”.

Stewart Francis – “I don't think I got the job at Microsoft....they didn't respond to my telegram.......”

Characters:
    Marion (Mongrels)
    Cat (Red Dwarf)
    Jack and Victor (Still Game)
    Trigger (Only Fools and Horses)
  • I'm adding Seth MacFarlane to my list. Without him etc...
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    For me it has to be Rowan Atkinson. Almost everything he does is legendary, with my particular favourite being Blackadder.
  • man2wolf wrote:
    Stand up:
    Ken Dodd - “Percy Shaw invented cats eyes when he was driving along the road one night and his headlights reflected in the eyes of a cat. If the cat had been facing the other way he would have invented the pencil sharpener instead”.

Stewart Francis – “I don't think I got the job at Microsoft....they didn't respond to my telegram.......”

Characters:
    Marion (Mongrels)
    Cat (Red Dwarf)
    Jack and Victor (Still Game)
    Trigger (Only Fools and Horses)

Got to add Winston and Navid from still game as well, some comedy gold from both their characters :D
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Comedian/Comedy writer - Milton Jones, Andy Hamilton, Mark Steel, Mark Thomas, Mervyn Stutter.

Comedy character - Bilko, Count Arthur Strong (aka Steve Delaney), Arkwright/Fletcher (Open all hours/Porridge aka Ronnie Barker), most characters in only fools and horses.

Bob
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Sir Henry (at rawlinsons end)

Responsible for the excellent line "if I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink", IIRC :)

Mention of boozy comic creations also brings to mind Mitchell & Webb's brilliant recurring sketch, The Surprising Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar. :)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal