Weather Warning - not the best....

Comments

• kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    mcj78 wrote:
    Last night I changed my bent rear mech for a straight one, re-indexed the gears & set the limit screws so it was all running smoothly, checked the raceguards (which will be swapped out for some proper mudguards soon) were secure, pumped up tyres etc. etc.

Similarly did a full drivetrain stripdown over the weekend and sailed into town at 7am this morning smooth as silk, bit windy but missed the rain, didn't check the forecast...

And then tonight it was freezing, horizontal rain and 3 visits from the PF, insane, must have ridden through a glass bank instead of a puddle :cry:

Is 12 minutes too long to swap a tube out and be on the road again with freezing fingers? Any tips?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    It sucketh out there tonight.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    cancelled MTB ride...... was just a wee bit too bad. But ride home was Ok.... lloking forward to morning ride
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Yes, it did get windy down here. At least it was dry and not too cold. I couldn't live any further north. It's bad enough that I have to cross the river to get to work.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    That was a friggin awesome ride home, bunny hopping every manhole, emergency stop for a dog and clipping out in time, neither I nor the dog suffered, biblical downpour after dumping the money I got from #onelesscar #n+1fund in the bank, back end slipping about on the muddy bits, standing water everywhere, dripping wet. Damn it man I think I'm finally converted.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    faffed about for too long this morning, wad going to ride in for about the 3rd time this year and its bloody gorgeous out, gutted.

Although comin down the steps to the train station I nearly broke my neck on a huge slab of black ice! Makes me feel better about leaving the new bike tucked up in the garage, I didn't see any gritters about last night :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I couldn't ride in yesterday or today as I have to be out in Inverness after work. With 3.5C, heavy rain, "High Winds on the Kessock Bridge" warnings on the matrix displays and the effects of a flu jab, I can't say I'm too disappointed.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    bleeding bad this morning, strong winds mixed with hail

i had to bring the car today so i got to avoid it, kinda disappointed to be honest it looked fun
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Thought I was getting a dry one.... till Garscube Road, then the heavy, cold rain came on.... :shock: Not hail, but it felt like it.... then a Bin Lorry and a car decided I was invisible despite 3 rear lights and lashings of high viz they both overtook me to take left filter lane, despite me wanting to go straight on. Ah well, "Must-overtake-cyclist-at-all-costs-as-I-approach-red-traffic-lights" syndome seems to be spreading.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Cycled too this morning having discovered some MTFU in the fridge of all places - not entirely regretting it, but if the headwind on the way home is as strong as the tailwind that pretty much propelled me along at 20mph+ without any effort this morning, I may have kittens. The one stretch of my commute where I double back on myself for a couple of miles had me reduced to ~10mph & struggling to even maintain that... could be a long one... an hour by my calculations :wink:
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Did everyone survive? Do we need to send winter aid up north?
  • Headwind gusting up to 40 mph, near-freezing horizontal rain and about 4 degrees this morning.

Rode in grinning from ear to ear. :twisted: Didn't see many other people, though.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    How do you even manage to move forward with the wind pushing you back at 40mph :?
  • suzyb wrote:
    How do you even manage to move forward with the wind pushing you back at 40mph :?

Slowly. Very, very slowly.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Last night was insane.

It wasn't a steady wind but unbelievably strong gusts that near stopped me dead or blew me across the road.

Very scary in places - and not helped by some daft tart who decided she wanted to turn right as she overtook me. Except there was a car coming the other way, so she pulled left... into me. Her car got a good old punch to remind her I was there.

After that I just kept my head down and eventually found a gear that worked. The problem was I was going from mashing to spinning to mashing again in the space of 100 yards.

Fortunately apart from that one daft bint everyone else was great and gave me loads of room when overtaking
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mcj78
    notsoblue wrote:
    Did everyone survive? Do we need to send winter aid up north?

We need 4 units of waterproof overshoes & a couple of thermal full length bib-tights - STAT!

I seriously thought about puchasing a balaclava at one point this morning :?
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • meanredspider
    mcj78 wrote:

I think that MTFU you found in the fridge was out of date... :wink:

Balaclavas are for seriously cold weather - the kind of days when you begin to question your own sanity - and long past the point when everybody else has decided you're insane (approaching double-digit and beyond sub-zero temps).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mcj78
    mcj78 wrote:

I think that MTFU you found in the fridge was out of date... :wink:

Balaclavas are for seriously cold weather - the kind of days when you begin to question your own sanity - and long past the point when everybody else has decided you're insane (approaching double-digit and beyond sub-zero temps).

haha, might leave the balaclava for now & invest in one of those buff thingies then, my face was freezing!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It is past the middle of October, right?
    What's everybody expecting?
    It was a bit chilly and a bit blowy. A bit normal.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • mcj78
    daviesee wrote:

A bit of a moan :D

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/envi ... 110174431/
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • 61Sigs
    61Sigs Posts: 71
    16 mile round trip to do the shopping earlier has proved two things.

I seriously need a more road friendly bike and panniers!

Actually, 3 things. 3 bottles of wine for £12 is a bargain, but doesn't half bump the weight up!
    Epic FSR for the real stuff
    Hardrock Sport utility bike
    Boardman CX Team
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    mcj78 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

A bit of a moan :D

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/envi ... 110174431/
    Dailymash wrote:
    Housewife Nikki Hollis said: "The important thing is to stay inside, carry a flaming torch at all times and don't be sentimental about eating your plumpest child."

:lol::lol::lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Tomorrow will be my first bike commute of the week. And the first one on the CX, on slicks, not ice tyres yet!

It might just be cold enough for my full length bib-tights though.

Or 3/4 and a jacket....hmmmmm.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • meanredspider
    bails87 wrote:
    Tomorrow will be my first bike commute of the week. And the first one on the CX, on slicks, not ice tyres yet!

It might just be cold enough for my full length bib-tights though.

Or 3/4 and a jacket....hmmmmm.

I'll be on the CX for the third week (it's much harder work than the Cayo) - and it will be full tights tomorrow - hoping I don't need the winter tyres yet though the forecast is for -1C with windchill included. Will get to try the Castelli Mannaggia too (hope mine doesn't fall aprt)
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Well I can promise you there will be no snow and ice this winter.

I just took delivery of a pair of these!

schwalbe-47293-med.jpg
  • meanredspider
    Graham. wrote:

Ah - join the club. Let's hope none of us have to use them - though I have absolutely no doubt mine will be on the bike by Xmas if not tomorrow morning... :roll:
  • Graham. wrote:

That's what I said when I bought mine a couple of years back. Only to actually end up using them last winter for a couple of weeks. :lol:

Mike
  • Initialised
    I got my Snow Studs last Winter after all the snow had melted, only got a couple of not very icy really days use out of them so it had better f'in snow. Also I have an unofficial bet that we go from Indian Summer to Scandinavian Winter in the space of this month so bring it on. Two weeks to go bring on the blizzards.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I got my Snow Studs last Winter after all the snow had melted, only got a couple of not very icy really days use out of them so it had better f'in snow. Also I have an unofficial bet that we go from Indian Summer to Scandinavian Winter in the space of this month so bring it on. Two weeks to go bring on the blizzards.

You'll be pleased to know I've tested my Snow Studs out for the past two winters. Great. 3rd winter and they will be fitted soon.
  • Initialised
    Yeah, can't wait. What pressure should they run at for (a) fresh snow and (b) ice/packed snow?