The big LIGHTS thread 2011-2014

Comments

• Quick question chaps... I bought 2 501b torches (T6, 1000 lumen jobbies) and some of Torchy's 2800 batteries along with a pack of the 2400 SenyBors.

the 2800 Torchy ones are longer than the SenyBors and I think this may be causing a problem... The SenyBors work perfectly but with the Torchys the flashlight either doesn't switch on at all or acts like there is a loose connection...

Since everybody was recommending this combo I thought it would be fine? Could somebody shed any light (pun intended :D)?
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    Quick question chaps... I bought 2 501b torches (T6, 1000 lumen jobbies) and some of Torchy's 2800 batteries along with a pack of the 2400 SenyBors.

the 2800 Torchy ones are longer than the SenyBors and I think this may be causing a problem... The SenyBors work perfectly but with the Torchys the flashlight either doesn't switch on at all or acts like there is a loose connection...

Since everybody was recommending this combo I thought it would be fine? Could somebody shed any light (pun intended :D)?

Read my posts back a page or two. The Torchy ones don't work and seem to trip the PCB :(

Are these the Senybor's you got?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-SenyBor-24 ... 43b587033a

My Torchy batteries work on medium and low power but nothing else. If those ones above work I'll grab a set of those.
  • I just received my UltraFire 501B torch and UltraFire 18650 2400mAh batteries. I don't yet have my charger. Could someone tell me whether these batteries are generally charged when dispached? They are not currently working.

Ta
  • diy wrote:

The pink one's look like 2.6Ah Samsung cells - pretty good cells. The Green ones look like old 1.6Ah/1.8Ah Sony so not that great. Though some green sony cells are around 2.5Ah.

It would probably help people to know the Wh on the pack or the Ah on the pack, in order to value you cells.

Hi DIY, better late than never, finally had time to post back about these cells I was talking about a few weeks ago. A box of them from laptop batteries. I can only find details of the pack from the pink ones currently. They were form a 9 cell pack and on the pack it said 10.8v, 6600mah. I assume the cell ratings would be calculated approximately by dividing 6600mah by 3 = 2200mah per cell? i.e. 9 cells = 3 x 3 cell serial?

Is that right?

Also, I've lost a link I had with nice pics of how to measure torch stuff with a multimeter, like current draw etc. Anyone got any good links on how to measure it all? Or tell me here as I forgot. Been out of the loop since last year.

Cheers
  • InkZ wrote:
    Quick question chaps... I bought 2 501b torches (T6, 1000 lumen jobbies) and some of Torchy's 2800 batteries along with a pack of the 2400 SenyBors.

Read my posts back a page or two. The Torchy ones don't work and seem to trip the PCB :(

My Torchy batteries work on medium and low power but nothing else. If those ones above work I'll grab a set of those.

Yep, those are the ones I've got :)

Going to return the Torchy 2800s... I'm sure they are superb batteries but obviously not compatible with my 501b's... Does anyone want to buy 6 for another flashlight before I get in touch with Torchy?
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    ShinSplint wrote:
    I just received my UltraFire 501B torch and UltraFire 18650 2400mAh batteries. I don't yet have my charger. Could someone tell me whether these batteries are generally charged when dispached? They are not currently working.

Ta

I think they tend to have about ~40% charge as they seem store best in these conditions.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    They were form a 9 cell pack and on the pack it said 10.8v, 6600mah. I assume the cell ratings would be calculated approximately by dividing 6600mah by 3 = 2200mah per cell? i.e. 9 cells = 3 x 3 cell serial?

Is that right?

Also, I've lost a link I had with nice pics of how to measure torch stuff with a multimeter, like current draw etc. Anyone got any good links on how to measure it all? Or tell me here as I forgot. Been out of the loop since last year.

Cheers

Sounds right. though I would argue when they are stable at 4.2v they will have more mah, but some here might not agree with that, though they didn't explain why.

switch your test meter to DC A. remove the tail cap, one prong on the cell - and one on the body, tap to cycle modes and you meter will show the amps when the light is on.

Not everybody ;)

But seriously someone needs to ask Torchy what the Discharge limit is on his protected cells.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    InkZ wrote:

I have four of the 2800mAh versions of those 4.8a drain Senybor batteries that i use in my two longer variant 502b torches. Probably the best ones i own. I imagine the 2400mAh versions are equally as good.
  • -Archie-
    -Archie- Posts: 152
    diy wrote:
    though I would argue when they are stable at 4.2v they will have more mah, but some here might not agree with that, though they didn't explain why.
    I've feeling that you're referring to my reply to your message dated Oct 31, 2012? :) Well, I'll be more specific then...

===
    Don't take them below 3.6v is possible.
    There's no reasons to recommend that. Most 18650 cells are designed to work down to the 3.0 volt or lower: it is absolutely normal way of using them.
    In theory whatever Ah they claim, you will get more, since they will be rated at the given Ah at 3.7v.
    No, the cells are not rated at particular voltage: they're rated at the standard max/min voltage range, i.e. the discharge starts from fully charged cell at its maximum voltage, and continued to the point when it reaches lower voltage limit.
    They will also be typically rated at 3A, so a 2.2Ah cell may actually go for 2.4 or 2.5Ah in a torch at 1.5A.
    No. The cells are typically rated at the 0,2C load - in case of 2200 mAh, it equals to the 0.44 A. Often, manufacturers provide both minimum and typical capacity. Currents such as 3A for 2,2 Ah cell are way beyond standard discharge regime (most commonly specified as 1C), and are mostly noted as higher than standard ones, with significant capacity reduction.

Take any PDF datasheet from any major vendor of 18650 cells to verify that, if you like.

Having said that, I'd also have to note that most reputable manufacturers treat their specifications as a "guaranteed values", and actual capacity of particular cell may exceed its marking - but this is not because of reasons you've mentioned, and definitely not related to the "capacity measurement at 3A discharge rate" or something like that.

(Note: all the information above is related to the lithium-cobalt cells, while lithium-iron phosphate are totally different story - but in our flashlight theme, we currently aren't discussing them anyway)
    Also some of the quality 18650s are good down to 3v,
    No. 3.0 v is a most common lower voltage for lithium cell, while many of models have 2,75 or 2.5 v specified as a "full discharge" point.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    £60 for that 100 lumen light?! Jesus, they saw you coming!

First ride tonight in the dark, got my 2 torches, but missing my P7, still have a go though aint it, should be good for about a 1000 lumens :-)
  • diy
    Archie it was not aimed you I just vaguely remember someone disagreeing but not saying why, hence my point that opinions vary.

In terms of cell rating we are talking different things. My comment related to laptop cells and how to work out likely capacity and compare them to other individual 18650 cells. I've busted open many laptop packs and often find 6 pack 10.8v 4400mah packs for example actually have 2600mah cells inside. Probably pack manufacturers playing it safe and allowing multiple cell sources for the same. You even find completely different cells in two identical packs.
    These 2.6ah cells will often outperform cheap 3ah cells due to the discharge rating..
    See http://www.torchythebatteryboy.com/p/18 ... rgers.html

And the comment on ultrafires

On the issue of discharge and my advice to avoid emptying the cell down to 3v read:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

Given the short life 4.2v cells can expect surely it makes sense to avoid discharge to 3v ?
  • Well, I bought an Xtar WPII charger after it was recommended to me in this thread (and my Ultrafire one had blown up...OK, the wire did, it was obviously exposed), and I have to say, after a couple of uses I have confidence in it.

I have little technical knowledge of battery chargers, but throughout their charge the batteries remained reasonably cool. Never peeped above luke warm, and cooled back to room temp nearly towards the end of the charge. I'm pretty sure that must be a good sign...
  • Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    Good thread, with some good advice.

I'm looking at going for the double torch route - there are plenty to choose from on eBay, but regarding the lumen output - what's the optimum for brightness v burn rate?

There are a few torches at around a quoted 1600 lumens, which could give a potential 3200 total, but I guess these would run shorter, even with a 4900 Mah battery?

Is it better to go with a lower lumen, or is more better??
  • diy
    I personally find in a torch powered by a single cell wit an output of around 1.8A - 2.2A is best. So that could be a pair of 3A units on medium (though most tend to run around the 800mA mark). Personally I prefer 3-4 units to get decent spread and run time. Better imo to run 4 on Medium than 2 on high.

Lumen claims for lights are pretty misleading, they often refer to the max output for the LED and then neglect to tell you that this is with a 5A current connected to heat sink with fan assisted cooling.

A Cree XM-L LED will do:
    T6 280-300 @700mA 385-413 @1A 546-585 @1.5A 910-975 @3A
    U2 300-320 @700mA 413-440 @1A 585-624 @1.5A 975-1040 @3A
  • concorde
    I tried out my two 501b torches last night, 1000 lumens in total, my P7 900 lumen torch hadn't come back. I found it more than enough light. Had them both on my lid as the P7 is for my bars, only complaint is I had them shone closer to me than I would like, had head at slightly uncomfortable position to aim them further down the trail, but that's my fault!

The P7 came today, will be like broad daylight with that added to the setup :-) I'd reccomend the setup to anybody looking, for under £50 the lot.

Roll on next weeks night ride, awesome expereince!
  • -Archie-
    diy wrote:
    In terms of cell rating we are talking different things. My comment related to laptop cells and how to work out likely capacity and compare them to other individual 18650 cells.
    Particular 18650 cell does not know where it is installed, and what device it provides power to: so, there's no difference.
    I've busted open many laptop packs and often find 6 pack 10.8v 4400mah packs for example actually have 2600mah cells inside.
    Being in IT business for ~20 years, I've also opened many battery packs (started doing that in the times of NiCd and NiMH era), but never seen that. While opposite case (of actual cells worse than external pack marking) was not uncommon for cheap brands...
    Probably pack manufacturers playing it safe and allowing multiple cell sources for the same. You even find completely different cells in two identical packs.
    Yes, that's correct: most laptop vendors use several suppliers of cells.
    These 2.6ah cells will often outperform cheap 3ah cells due to the discharge rating..
    In other words, good cells are better than bad ones? Totally agree! :)

On the issue of discharge and my advice to avoid emptying the cell down to 3v read:
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... _batteries

Given the short life 4.2v cells can expect surely it makes sense to avoid discharge to 3v ?
    No. Partial discharge (and incomplete charge, too) will indeed prolong cell's cycle life, but at the price of inferior decrease of resulting capacity. For real life use, the 4.2-3.0 v voltage range is selected because of good balance between capacity and service life.

Mentioned Mr. Buchmann articles, although outdated, are excellent source of basic knowledge of battery principles - but taking particular numbers from these pages should be done according to the real usage scenarios. In our case, using the battery within its standard discharge regime provides the same balance of properties as in most of other cases, and I haven't yet seen a cyclist who actually agree to sacrifice the lenght of his night ride in favor of prolonging battery life...
  • Ouija
    Coogie wrote:

I'm looking at going for the double torch route - there are plenty to choose from on eBay, but regarding the lumen output - what's the optimum for brightness v burn rate?

There are a few torches at around a quoted 1600 lumens, which could give a potential 3200 total, but I guess these would run shorter, even with a 4900 Mah battery?

A few links would be helpful as most torches with a T6 in them will barely put out 1000 lumens if run off a single battery. A lot of the claims are fake. Also worth mentioning that most of these torches have MODES. In other words, you can run them at different brightnesses to allow you to select your own brightness/run time ratios.
  • I'll chuck this in to the mix. Fenix bt20 750 lumen xml. I received my sample yesterday as I managed to get on the fenix global testing campaign. just so you know this was a free sample I have no affiliation with fenix or any of the re sellers etc etc.

Here is a link to the first part of my review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InVN0jg ... jGuXzPpJ_w

Its not bad for £80 very solid well built light with a useful beam pattern for bar mounting but batteries and charger are not included :|

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-bt20-bike-light

43850E5F-21ED-4160-8342-0C870CB1306C-1064-0000018D61AA0A3F.jpg

652D2C7B-B12A-46E6-B42C-1CD506A9F5C1-1064-0000018D24AA85DC.jpg

EA306393-2B53-43DC-B7BA-9475B91EBA51-1064-0000018CEA59573D.jpg

6E640FA5-2139-4C78-A204-6D5A957E3E77-1064-0000018D730132AB.jpg

B5A0BB56-1BDF-435D-958D-84FBA33CBA09-1064-0000018D2E2087C1.jpg

1463041E-0A26-40DC-8C52-EB08771C6E59-1064-0000018E28ABA549.jpg

Plenty more pictures to be found here,

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/sp ... cree%20xml

I'll add some more details when I get to play with it some more
  • diy
    Concorde wrote:
    The P7 came today, will be like broad daylight with that added to the setup :-) I'd reccomend the setup to anybody looking, for under £50 the lot.

My only 2 comment on mixing SSC p7 with XM-L:
    - The difference in tint can be a bit annoying with the p7 being quite warm and the XM-L being quite cool
    - you'd have to check the current being used and make sure you are aware of when the cells are flat as they will likely burn at different rates.
  • concorde
    diy wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

My only 2 comment on mixing SSC p7 with XM-L:
    - The difference in tint can be a bit annoying with the p7 being quite warm and the XM-L being quite cool
    - you'd have to check the current being used and make sure you are aware of when the cells are flat as they will likely burn at different rates.

Ok cheers. I was aware that the P7 would be warmer than the XM-L. I went for the P7 as it should be more floody than the spotty XM-Ls. I'll report back with weather it's annoying or not.

Am aware of the second point, I'll just go off the run times, which are different, and bung another battery in at some point before that runtime is up :-)
  • Got my i4 V2 today after ordering it yesterday from torchdirect about 12.30, with standard free shipping :D

IMAG1271.jpg

IMAG1273.jpg

IMAG1275.jpg

IMAG1282.jpg

Looks and feels Quality with good instructions. just giving it a run with the 2 duracel running at 375mA and the xtar at 750mA. started charging around 12.15 so will see how long they take to charge. :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like some of the XML MS clones are being produced with orange peel reflectors:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 2a24dc7a38

UK seller too.
  • -Archie-
    supersonic wrote:
    Looks like some of the XML MS clones are being produced with orange peel reflectors:
    Good news. Previously, I've seen them with smooth reflectors only... Thanks for sharing!
  • Ouija
    spankone wrote:
    I'll chuck this in to the mix. Fenix bt20 750 lumen xml. I received my sample yesterday as I managed to get on the fenix global testing campaign. just so you know this was a free sample I have no affiliation with fenix or any of the re sellers etc etc.

Here is a link to the first part of my review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4InVN0jg ... jGuXzPpJ_w

Its not bad for £80 very solid well built light with a useful beam pattern for bar mounting but batteries and charger are not included :|

http://www.myfenix.co.uk/fenix-bt20-bike-light

I'll add some more details when I get to play with it some more

An £80 light that only puts out 750 lumen and doesn't even include a battery pack or charger..........?

Can't really see a lot of people rushing out to buy one.
  • Ouija
    -Archie- wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Good news. Previously, I've seen them with smooth reflectors only... Thanks for sharing!

Be aware that a lot of them show a orange peel in the photos but send one with a smooth reflector. Been caught out twice by that....

Always check the listing to see if it categorically states that it comes with a OP reflector, rather than going on the pics.
  • -Archie-
    Ouija wrote:
    Be aware that a lot of them show a orange peel in the photos but send one with a smooth reflector. Been caught out twice by that....
    Thanks for warning. Perhaps, it's always better to ask seller about important details prior to ordering.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wish the commuters would cotton on the torches:

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12888953

Joystick MK7, £150?!!!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    supersonic wrote:
    I wish the commuters would cotton on the torches:

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12888953

Joystick MK7, £150?!!!!
    nah. fu** em.
  • Coogie
    Coogie Posts: 68
    Ouija wrote:
    Coogie wrote:

A few links would be helpful as most torches with a T6 in them will barely put out 1000 lumens if run off a single battery. A lot of the claims are fake. Also worth mentioning that most of these torches have MODES. In other words, you can run them at different brightnesses to allow you to select your own brightness/run time ratios.

These are a couple that was looking at. Are these OK, or better to go for a lower quoted lumen? No watts information supplied?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300786161200? ... 1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330815266552? ... 1423.l2649
  • diy
    It's pot luck without a detailed spec, but I guess you can always reject it as not as described.