Cyclists need to learn to give way

124»

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Fecking hell. If I stopped to let out every car nosing out of junctions then I'd never get anywhere. Trying riding a SS, takes me a bit of leg to get up to cruising speed so I'm not budging from my right of way unless some twunt forces me to.

Even if that car was halfway across your lane and moving (slowly, which the Golf was) you would still not slow down?

It's not about stopping.

With enough anticipation you can slow down just enough for the obstruction (i.e. turning car) to clear your path so that you can continue on your merry way without having to stop.

Giving way, doesn't automatically stop it can mean slow down. You don't have to ride everywhere at full tilt all the time.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD
    Luckily something in me had sensed that I was approaching a dangerous situation and had slowed down, but if I had maintained my speed as I had right of way, I would have gone under the van which was pulling across in front of me.

Ah ha!!!!

You slowed down. Doesn't matter how you came to the conclusion of slowing down. Fact is you did.

The cyclist in my scenario could see the car was halfway across his lane and continued riding straight at it without slowing down.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with giving way or letting traffic out to keep traffic moving. Especially with the levels of congestion we are seeing. The alternative is more traffic lights.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I did not cede priority here, but swerved around the encroaching vehicle:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrOrigamist ... 8mkpQ5_keY
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Fecking hell. If I stopped to let out every car nosing out of junctions then I'd never get anywhere. Trying riding a SS, takes me a bit of leg to get up to cruising speed so I'm not budging from my right of way unless some twunt forces me to.

Even if that car was halfway across your lane and moving (slowly, which the Golf was) you would still not slow down?

It's not about stopping.

With enough anticipation you can slow down just enough for the obstruction (i.e. turning car) to clear your path so that you can continue on your merry way without having to stop.

Giving way, doesn't automatically stop it can mean slow down. You don't have to ride everywhere at full tilt all the time.
    :shock: :?

Seriously, if the car had already started to turn across your path then it is sensible to slow down and let him go, but also justifiable to hold your line and make the ignorant fecker wait his turn. You did one, Marin did the other. Its the waving him through bit that's a bit suspect. I can't even remember the OP now so don't stress if you didn't actually do that!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    You don't have to ride everywhere at full tilt all the time.

You've changed.

Next stop a Pashley and sensible trousers
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:

You've changed.

Next stop a Pashley and sensible trousers
    I'm riding for others now.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

WRONG.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    DonDaddyD wrote:

WRONG.

Is that your excuse for not being on Strava?

http://www.strava.com

FvFRMHMHhRn0LgDnaGLg0ci07w.jpg

Just sayin'
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    DonDaddyD wrote:

WRONG.

Is that your excuse for not being on Strava?

http://www.strava.com

FvFRMHMHhRn0LgDnaGLg0ci07w.jpg

Just sayin'

Exactly, this is why Marin man did what he did. Full tilt up to the hazard then full on the brakes or desperate manouevre to avoid it keeps your moving average up.
    Hadn't read your post but had the same thought this morning as I slowed for an artic to turn. It was preferable to being killed to death, but must have knocked fractions off my average speed.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,344
    If you brake, you don't win
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    anyway, maybe the Marin guy should have slowed down, but the thing with bikes and cars is, if you're a bad cyclist you mainly endanger yourself, if you're a bad driver you endanger others., like the driver who swerved at my wife yesterday for slowing him down by being in front of him at a junction and not being able to accelerate away to full speed in 2.6 secs or whatever his requirement was.

Still according to another thread on the forum she was probably in the wrong for holding him up and should probably got up out of the seat to put a bit more force on the pedals amd move off faster.