Predictions.

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    The Schlecks finally realise they can't win a GT, and concentrate on the One Day Classics..... :wink:
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    AndyRAC wrote:
    The Schlecks finally realise they can't win a GT, and concentrate on the One Day Classics..... :wink:

Only to get continually beaten by Phillipe Gilbert :wink:
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Alberto Contador to evade further sanction for clenbuterol like a posse of Mexican footballers :wink:
    The older I get the faster I was
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Here's a call (albeit not cycling related)

Germany to win the Euros...

Does anyone think the UK can be in the top 5 nations in men's road cycling again in 2012?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I think they've lost a lot of Euros to Greece already. And Italy, Spain and Portugal are all queuing up too.

Oh! You mean the football. Yeah, probably. I think they will have worked Spain out and Spain don't really have a plan B.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

I think they've lost a lot of Euros to Greece already. And Italy, Spain and Portugal are all queuing up too.

Oh! You mean the football. Yeah, probably. I think they will have worked Spain out and Spain don't really have a plan B.

Ha :p

Saw Ger against Holland and they were phenomenal.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833

Always have to admire the way a German team is greater than the sum of the parts, unlike England which always manage the reverse.

I don't know about the RR top 5, but I do like success moving the bar higher and the momentum that generates. I'd certainly enjoy another year of Cav dominance, but what I'd love is a Brit winning a big one dayer, and not Cav at MSR. I'll settle for Geraint doing a PR RvV double :)
  • dougzz
    RichN95 wrote:

Half decent plan A though
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Does anyone think the UK can be in the top 5 nations in men's road cycling again in 2012?

Yes. Cav will get M-SR and loads of other wins, Wiggins will do well in the TdF and at least one other stage race, Thomas will finish in the top 10 in the northern classics. All the others will pop up with some handy wins.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    RichN95 wrote:

Sort of agree Rick but on the other hand I don't think anyone had told the Dutch they were playing football that night. Sneijder (??) seemed to wake up a bit but the rest were awful!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Didn't see the Germany v Holland game but looking at the line-ups - that's one of the weakest Dutch line-ups i have ever seen. Bar Sneijder a team of distinctly average individuals.

Even so, Germany have got it absolutely right with youth development. Scary-good team in the making.
  • dougzz
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Didn't see the Germany v Holland game but looking at the line-ups - that's one of the weakest Dutch line-ups i have ever seen. Bar Sneijder a team of distinctly average individuals.

Even so, Germany have got it absolutely right with youth development. Scary-good team in the making.

Which is very odd, because for the Dutch, Germany is THEE game. Anyone who hasn't read it may well like to give the appropriate chapter (Football is War) of 'Football Against the Enemy' a read, it's interesting stuff even for the non football fans.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Sort of agree Rick but on the other hand I don't think anyone had told the Dutch they were playing football that night. Sneijder (??) seemed to wake up a bit but the rest were awful!

I thought the Dutch were OK.

I've been watching England a lot recently though, so maybe it's just all relative.

It's more how Germany did it. Didn't even spend loads of energy flicking it around, chasing after everything.

Bish bash bosh 3-0. That's the kind of form you need to win tournaments.

It's not like the Germans can't dig deep if they need to too...

Unlike oranje :(
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

Yes. Cav will get M-SR and loads of other wins, Wiggins will do well in the TdF and at least one other stage race, Thomas will finish in the top 10 in the northern classics. All the others will pop up with some handy wins.

The concern is guys like Thomas give up the back end of their season (inc. part of the Tour) to go cycling round in circles for a few minutes.
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:

The concern is guys like Thomas give up the back end of their season (inc. part of the Tour) to go cycling round in circles for a few minutes.

Possibly, but if he puts in a good showing in the spring classics & the Giro that could compensate.
  • rick_chasey
    True.

But you're forgetting Boonen will win everything*

* not an actual prediction...
  • finchy
    True.

But you're forgetting Boonen will win everything*

* not an actual prediction...

My actual prediction is that Boonen is gonna come absolutely storming back next year and win a cobbled monument and a couple of semi-classics.

I'd love to see him win one and GT win another.
  • rick_chasey
    Cogidubnus wrote:
    Mine:

A Schleck will never win a grand tour

Wah, wah, waaaah....
  • And what do I know? I just hope he doesn't appeal and the whole circus drags on :(

He is wonderfully talented and deserves better support and advisers to steer him through this sh*tfest :(
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Cogidubnus wrote:
    Mine:

A Schleck will never win a grand tour

Wah, wah, waaaah....

Curses lol

I will amend it to the Schlecks will never win another GT :)
  • finchy
    Spring Classics predictions: Cavendish to win San Remo, Hushovd Ghent-Wevelgem, Boonen Flanders, another complete surprise for Paris-Roubaix (possibly G. Thomas), Sanchez for Amstel Gold, Rodriguez F-W, Gilbert LBL.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:
    Spring Classics predictions: Cavendish to win San Remo, Hushovd Ghent-Wevelgem, Boonen Flanders, another complete surprise for Paris-Roubaix (possibly G. Thomas), Sanchez for Amstel Gold, Rodriguez F-W, Gilbert LBL.

Like it!
  • rick_chasey
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Bertie will receive a 2 year ban and will never be the same rider after.

A good shout so far. Part 1 completed!
  • rick_chasey
    Jez mon wrote:
    2012 will be a disappointing year for British Cycling (on the track mainly, but I don't think it will live up to expectations on the road)

Contador's hearing/appeal thing will get pushed into 2013 (well, pushed back further)

Tyler Farrar will win on the Champs Elysées (Sky/BC having taken Cav out of the tour)

Oh dear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jez mon wrote:
    2012 will be a disappointing year for British Cycling (on the track mainly, but I don't think it will live up to expectations on the road)

Contador's hearing/appeal thing will get pushed into 2013 (well, pushed back further)

Tyler Farrar will win on the Champs Elysées (Sky/BC having taken Cav out of the tour)

Oh dear.

The clarification in brackets was correct!
  • rick_chasey
    How about Boonen will not win either Flanders or Roubaix again!

:D

Busted.
  • rick_chasey
    johnfinch wrote:

My actual prediction is that Boonen is gonna come absolutely storming back next year and win a cobbled monument and a couple of semi-classics.

On the money Mr.
  • How about Boonen will not win either Flanders or Roubaix again!

:D

He's one rider I wouldn't be so quick to write off. There is too much class in Boonen. I would really like to see him on top form battling it out with Gilbert

TBH, I'd like to see him win Roubaix again. I was trying to get a rise from a certain forum member, but he easily saw through my cheap shot!

Full quote please Mr. Chasey...

:wink:
  • rick_chasey
    I'll put my neck out and predict [Gilbert] will win on the Cauberg.

Even though he's quoted as saying about yesterday's ride "“It’s not that I’m hiding during the race, I was exactly in my place.”

Diversion tactics, you see, the whole season up to this Sunday. That's how much Amstel Gold means to him.
  • *bump
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!