Sportive Signage

The roads around Jodrell Bank / Alderley / Congleton etc. still have signage from the various events that have been held this year, this is not good for the sport.
Would the organisers please ensure that ALL signs are removed a/s/a/p
The local council can trace the owners and fine you for not removing them you know.

Comments

• Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    nah, leave them up them up ready for next years events.
  • polocini
    polocini Posts: 201
    I organise events around that area and my signs are yellow with black arrow and have cnp logos on them. They go out the night/morning before and are taken down straight after the event. I get permission off the relevant councils as it's technically illegal to put signs up. There are always loads of old cable ties on lamp posts etc. If I lived in the area I wouldn't be impressed.

Plus, my signs cost a bloody fortune so I make sure every one is in!!!

I think some of the signs that are about at the minute are from the marathon/run that was on about two weeks ago. It's not just cycling.

AL
  • Yes, I have seen a couple of yours on the Alderley Edge to Macclesfield road on the hill out of the village, this was some weeks ago, not sure if they are still there.
    Polocini wrote:
    I organise events around that area and my signs are yellow with black arrow and have cnp logos on them. They go out the night/morning before and are taken down straight after the event. I get permission off the relevant councils as it's technically illegal to put signs up. There are always loads of old cable ties on lamp posts etc. If I lived in the area I wouldn't be impressed.

I think some of the signs that are about at the minute are from the marathon/run that was on about two weeks ago. It's not just cycling.

AL
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    Polocini wrote:

AL

I'm surprised you get permission for something that is, as you correctly say, illegal. They can only give permission for "proscribed signs" ( such as the bike in a red triangle with "cycle event" sub plate) . However, unless the sign is a road hazard, it only becomes punishable should you fail to remove them within 28 days of them telling you to in writing. So I don't ask rather than risk being told no.

But quite right, take them down, leaving them up could result in a more heavy handed enforcement of the rules which would spoil it for everyone.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There are so many rides out there though - sometimes two or three rides on the same day and the same roads. We really dont need to piss the residents off any more than we already do eh ?
  • DaveMoss wrote:
    I'm surprised you get permission for something that is, as you correctly say, illegal. They can only give permission for "proscribed signs" ( such as the bike in a red triangle with "cycle event" sub plate) . However, unless the sign is a road hazard, it only becomes punishable should you fail to remove them within 28 days of them telling you to in writing. So I don't ask rather than risk being told no.

Correct, but it also falls foul of the restriction on fly-posting. So whilst the highways authority is responsible for road signage, the district or unitary council is responsible for enforcing the ban on flyposting.
  • polocini
    I just phone/email every highway dept of every council that my routes pass through. Some just answer 'yes, ok' others ask for lots of details and inform local police etc. My first event was sorted in two emails. The second event took four weeks of various emails.

When I put the signs up I have print outs of the council emails on me plus the british cycling risk assessments in case I was ever to get stopped. I'm on my fifth event and I've never been stopped and the police just drive past.
    AL
  • Funny that there are Polocini / CNP signs all over Saddleworth. I saw two while out on my bike yesterday. There's one on the road between Mossley and Lydgate and another at the top of Nont Sarah's just as you start to drop down to Ripponden.

Theres also one in Prestbury town centre from your events back in March.
  • polocini
    I was in prestbury yesterday and there isn't one there????

All over saddleworth, er where??????

AL
  • polocini
    I see you just edited your post Dave. I'll whizz up there and have a look. But there is 100% no sign in Prestbury.

All over saddleworth??? That's two signs (maybe). I hope you are not trolling fella. It's sad and very pathetic.

AL
  • THATS ON HELL OF AN ATTITUDE FELLA

Especially as you are trying to make yourself out as whiter than white, when your are one of the main culprits.

Link to a photo of a POLOCNI ROUTE ARROW left littering months after the event

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68761529@N04/6254261498/in/photostream
  • I think it's a bit unfair on Polocini to suggest that his signs will still be up 85 years after the event! (date on picture)
  • polocini
    I find your attitude odd Dave. You come on the forum, make a comment directed at me and then edit it. I looked at your other posts as well.

You say I left an arrow up in Prestbury in March when the funny thing is, I didn't have the black/yellow arrows in March.

I was running an event this weekend but I contacted a pal at the Sadddleworth Clarion and he hasn't seen any. I can't get up to Saddleworth until tomorrow but if I have missed an arrow then I'll hold my hands up but I ride those roads on a weekly basis and I haven't seen any.

It's entirely possible that out of a couple of hundred arrows I may have missed one but I take a lot of pride in what I do so the 'all over saddleworth' comment is nonsense. Hence MY attitude.

AL
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Ha ha!

2096!
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    This thread is a bit mental. A few signs left lying around isn't worth stressing over!
  • Why is it a bit mental ? As one of the local clubs on the routes in Cheshire people often ask me "I noticed some signs, if it your race"
    TAKE EM DOWN
    rodgers73 wrote:
    This thread is a bit mental. A few signs left lying around isn't worth stressing over!
  • rodgers73
    Fair enough noticing a few signs, but no need to worry about them. I doubt they'd confuse anyone.
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    You'd have a job spotting Polocinis signs. They're all at knee height cos that's as far as he can reach.
  • polocini
    There's a bit more to it than that. If people keep leaving signs up and locals complain to the council there will be no more sportives in that area. Plus imagine if the locals sabotage signs or are not courteous to riders. It has a knock on effect. Going off track it's a bit like riders dropping gel wrappers.

Where the OP mentions is a nightmare, there is crap all over the lamp posts.

AL

Winton-Just twigged on who you are. My little legs manage to get me up the Koppenberg.
  • rodgers73
    I guess someone should get out with a stepladder and some scissors then...
  • Someone should take them down and as Polocini put them up and left them there surely he should be the one to go round and take them down.

Organisers like Polocini are putting not only his own events but those of other organisers at risk. The area is used by lots of sporting groups not just sportives, road races, time trials, mountain bkers, trathlons, running clubs, orienteering, horse riding.

The issue of signs littering the area was brought up recently at a local Saddleworth Council meeting it won't be long before the council start saying no to events unless organisers like Polocini clean up there act.
  • polocini
    DOWNHILL DAVE.

I have just spoken with Tony at the Saddleworth Parish Council. He tells me that they have had no problem with event signs. I have emailed him over a picture of my arrows and he will raise the matter at this evenings meeting (18/10/11) then if anyone sees a stray arrow in Saddleworth I will remove it asap. I also offered to attend the meeting but he says it is really not a problem.

You haven't really answered my reply to you DOWNHILL DAVE but I'll make the following offer:
    I will give you £20 cash for every sign you bring back to me in person.
    If you bring back more than five I will give you a year of free entry to my events and I will arrange you a factory visit to CNP and a nutrion seminar plus a load of goodies.

Best regards
    AL
  • *goes hunting for Polocini signs*

:wink:
  • Just been out in my lunch time and took a couple of snaps of the Polocini Route Arrows still littering the Saddleworth Countryside.. I have included a copy of todays MEN early addition just to prove that they are still there today.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68761529@N04/6256786503/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68761529@N04/6257315354/in/photostream

With regards to the council meeting it was reported in the local paper a few weeks back.

I do apologise the sign in Prestbury was from the re run of the Polocini Event in March. The one that was put on to say sorry for running out of event arrows half way round when lots of riders went off course.
  • polocini
    I'm getting bored with the trolling now. I have sent Dave a message offering £40 for the arrow(s) and a face to face meeting.

AL
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    I personallly think Dave has too much time on his hands

and i think he is probably affiliated to a polocini event competitor

For a new member his first 9 posts have been dull and boring to read at best, there are other ways of communication if the signage is infuriating you that much

I bet you are the person i see in the papershop taking a paper from the bottom of the pile
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    The very best bit of this thread is the fact that downhilldave6 is so enraged about the whole affair that he even went to the great length of taking some packing tape. Just so he could get his pictures.

Just a thought for you Dave - if an event organiser is prepared to put his own money up for a mistake, personally I think that is a refreshing change and should be applauded. Not denigrated with your petty insults at the state of previous signage. Grow up.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If they offend you so much Dave, why don't you take them down yourself?
  • rodgers73
    Why is it a bit mental ? As one of the local clubs on the routes in Cheshire people often ask me "I noticed some signs, if it your race"
    TAKE EM DOWN
    rodgers73 wrote:

I should probably have just said he is mental.
  • polocini
    I have been and driven around the entire route and have found the two arrows that Dave so kindly and eloquently pointed out.

Dave hasn't responded to my direct message so DAVE, this is for you:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/55119780@N06/6258657296/

Just for anyone who is interested Dave went all the way out to the junction of Saddleworth Road and New Hey Road near Nont Sarahs on his 'lunch time'. Taking his copy of the MEN and roll of masking tape. Fair play DAVE you must have a great boss who gives long breaks as that arrow was in the middle of nowhere.

Here you go DAVE: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55119780@N ... otostream/

Finally I'd like to thank DAVE for highlighting the fact that I take my sportive organising seriously. I don't put on over priced second rate events with stale food.

Cheers
    AL