Do SOME cyclists bring trouble upon themselves

124»

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm trying to figure out if I'm one of these self-righteous, arsey, incompetent, aggressive cyclists with zero road-sense. Can someone who has seen me along the embankment confirm this for me? Considering buying a helmet cam.
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I'm trying to figure out if I'm one of these self-righteous, arsey, incompetent, aggressive cyclists with zero road-sense. Can someone who has seen me along the embankment confirm this for me? Considering buying a helmet cam.

yup :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue wrote:

Fair enough, good to have a base line :P
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    notsoblue wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:

Fair enough, good to have a base line :P

You clearly have a sense of humour and ability to laugh at yourself, so no, you're not!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    gtvlusso wrote:
    To be fair - I see more poor cycling than poor driving daily.....

Red light abuse - blatent abuse

riding on pavements

switching between pavement and road

not anticipating traffic movements ahed (i.e. going up the left side of a vehicle that is indicating left turn)

Using pedestrain crossings

Not shoulder checking when manouvering

Not shoulder checking when joining the main road

the list is endless......so, as a cyclist and a car driver (very rarely), I have to say that I see far more idiocy on bicycles than I see on any other form of ransport....and I love cycling!

+1. frikin' cyclists. I hate 'em.

Riding on pavements with phones glued to their ear or texting ....... avoiding red lights by riding on pavements causing pedestrians to scatter. Riding no handed, texting or a phone glued to their ears in busy traffic, no lights, except glow of their mobile glued to their ear.

Cycling morons far out number morons in cars.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • So cyclists hate cyclists even more than motorists do...
  • notsoblue
    dilemna wrote:

Riding on pavements with phones glued to their ear or texting ....... avoiding red lights by riding on pavements causing pedestrians to scatter. Riding no handed, texting or a phone glued to their ears in busy traffic, no lights, except glow of their mobile glued to their ear.

This just doesn't match my observations. On my ride in this morning I noticed about 2-3
    cyclists riding like prats, but the rest were all riding pretty sensibly. I'd estimate seeing around 50-60 cyclists in total on my ride in.
  • yes they do!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    notsoblue wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

This just doesn't match my observations. On my ride in this morning I noticed about 2-3
    cyclists riding like prats, but the rest were all riding pretty sensibly. I'd estimate seeing around 50-60 cyclists in total on my ride in.

I'd say there's a mixture as with car drivers. The number behaving like complete twats giving cyclists a bad name is actually quite small. The vast majority I see are riding with varying degrees of road sense and consideration for other road users. However as with car drivers should you ever dare to mention their cycling leaves a little to be desired then all hell will break loose
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • notsoblue
    Rich158 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

I'd say there's a mixture as with car drivers. The number behaving like complete twats giving cyclists a bad name is actually quite small. The vast majority I see are riding with varying degrees of road sense and consideration for other road users. However as with car drivers should you ever dare to mention their cycling leaves a little to be desired then all hell will break loose

Well, again, thats not really my experience. I don't think I've ever seen anyone have a hissy fit because they were remonstrated for riding on the pavement or running reds. They usually just ignore it tbh. Agreed about the small proportion though. Cyclists breaking the law is far more visible though. They usually have a captive audience of stationary cars watching them do it.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Yes some definitely do, this dick who I occasionally see on my commute, one of the afformentioned helmet cam helmets. Check this out as an example:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TesterAnima ... IyG5BqjM10
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    Aguila wrote:
    Yes some definitely do, this dick who I occasionally see on my commute, one of the afformentioned helmet cam helmets. Check this out as an example:

That clip sums up my thought on that type of rider. A nothing incident which prompts a lecture, the taking of a number plate, an argument and the uploading of it all to youtube.

And he titles it 'lunatic vigilante runs red light!' Ye gads!

What is the point?
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    cje wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

That clip sums up my thought on that type of rider. A nothing incident which prompts a lecture, the taking of a number plate, an argument and the uploading of it all to youtube.

And he titles it 'lunatic vigilante runs red light!' Ye gads!

What is the point?

Indeed, and the driver is right, the rider has committed exactly the same offence as the one he is getting so wound up about! Its worth watching some of his other videos, comedy gold in places for the indignant rage content.
  • notsoblue
    Aguila wrote:

That was pretty cringeworthy... why would he be like that? As far as I could see the driver didn't do anything to cross him?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,981
    notsoblue wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    "Do some cyclists bring it upon themselves"....jesus, just that question alone is insulting enough.
    I do know that some people got a bit uppity just about the question being asked :wink:

Yeah, well I was reading between the lines. Perhaps I'm too quick to take offence. But I still think you were implying some kind of strict liability for cyclists when it comes to any conflict with cars. And it seems that the majority of the posts in this thread seem to agree with you.

Edit: I found it insulting because its a similar sentiment to those who ask whether or not a person killed in a cycle accident was wearing a helmet, or who assume they simply had rubbish bike handling skills and that it was somehow their fault.
    I think you do seems to take offence quickly based on that but to be fair some of your posts today have been pretty sensible. You're going a bit far to think I'm implying anything like in your last paragraph, the thread is more aimed whether some cyclists (and I agree they are a small minority) either court confrontation of get seriously aggravated about things that most of us would let pass.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]