Anyone regularly using lights yet?

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I have them on flashing now - I can easily see... Being seen os what I'm concerned about.

Later in the year, I'll have the front light on steady.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    At night 7:45-8:00 to well after 9 so yes
  • This, and having seen several folks with their lights on today, is making me think it's time I did the same. I think I should probably also look into one of those hi-viz vests in advance of splashing out on some winter cycling gear.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    This, and having seen several folks with their lights on today, is making me think it's time I did the same. I think I should probably also look into one of those hi-viz vests in advance of splashing out on some winter cycling gear.

I am using a montane featherlite velo (windproof pertex not waterproof)

It's good in the chilly mornings, and quite bright.
  • Just started using my lights in the last week, still the idiots don't see you.

David
  • jimmypippa wrote:
    This, and having seen several folks with their lights on today, is making me think it's time I did the same. I think I should probably also look into one of those hi-viz vests in advance of splashing out on some winter cycling gear.

Hmmm. I like that.

I've actually got me eye on a red altura jersey for the same price. I already have a wind/rain jacket but it's grey, albeit with reflective bits.

I was thinking I might start with the jersey, add a base layer when it gets colder and then eventually consider whether the grey jacket or something brighter would be best once winter really sets in.
    Cannondale Bad Boy SLX - commute and/or bad weather
    Scott Speedster S20 - weekend and/or fair weather commute
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    bails87 wrote:
    If you have the Vision 2 /4 you can share the battery

I know, but I don't.

Maybe I should buy a Vision 4 so the Distric becomes better value..... :lol:

For sure, make sure its the new R4 :wink:

Ooooo check out that mount...

http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemID=SPG320
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    My two normal autumn country lights did naff all this evening, couldn't cut through the rain and dark.

Time to step it up a notch
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    dhope wrote:
    If on earlies then yes in the morning, 6am departure. If on lates then yes in the evening, 7pm departure

This,

I regularly start at 5am and finish after 11pm (not on the same day any more) depending on shifts and find I need the lights at least once a day. In gloom and ran I tend to use them as well. The one plus side is that at these times the roads are reasonably quite. Especially in the morning its quite possible that I don't see a moving car.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • It gets dark early in the South?

tbh, lights are fitted to bike, but use has been sporadic.
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I pulled mine out for the first time today. I'm depressed already by the thought of a dark morning commute...
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    It gets dark early in the South?

tbh, lights are fitted to bike, but use has been sporadic.

Yes it starts to get dark earlier the further south you go.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    question

do you have your rear lights flashing or fixed?

front i guess it depends on where you are an if you need to see ahead of you?

Answer: both.
  • Always run lights when commuting, but got the big ones on for the last week EL600 front, LD610 rear, plus LD150 on the rucsac...

its getting dark when I leave at 6:30am and dark now by the time I am home at 7:30pm
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I leave by 6.30am and arrive home 10.30pm and most times between those. so been using lights for late returns for a while now.
  • jimmypippa wrote:

+1 It's a great bit of kit isn't it. Quite often I wear it for 20 minutes or so until I warm up and then whip it off at a red light and stuff it in the back of my jersey.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    mudcow007 wrote:
    question

do you have your rear lights flashing or fixed?

front i guess it depends on where you are an if you need to see ahead of you?

Both

get two lights (safer) or a LD1100, one bank flash, one bank constant

My only concern with the Hope District / Vision set up is running the cables along the frame but frankly this is minor to knowing I'll be seen when I'm on the unlit stretches between the villages.

The cable runs quite neatly with the included straps.

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Rear light flashes in the rain, front light flashes as it gets darker (7-8pm i think).

I have a p7 lensor from when I did the wiggle night ride a couple of weeks ago, but I think i'll only really use that for pitch black descents in RP.

Now I realise why people get so annoyed with bright lights on other users in RP. I was seriously blinded by some of them....Fortunately I have a visor on my helmet so just stare at the front wheel until they pass.
  • ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Always have lights on of some sort no matter what the weather. I've got the brackets to fit both lights to either bike so the Exposure's are used all year round.

Better to be seen then NOT in my eyes.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    When it's been a bit gloomy or misty lately I've had the front light on. And in rain I've had the rear flasher on

The front is a B&M IQ Fly which is mistaken for a motorbike at night
    The rear flasher is a Smart Superflash, which is daylight visible
  • iPete
    /\ get a Hope Vision 1 or go down the China/Deal Extreme route.
  • Back on "Winter" set up from this week. Lumicycle LED front and Hope District 3 rear.

To answer Kieran regarding Hope District 3....I bought one as soon as they were released and used it for the back end of last winter and now - my commute is 49 miles round trip on A roads and unlit country roads.
    I agree with the comment of setting it up pointing slightly down - mine is. My opinion, yes it is expensive, but what a light! Well made, fits the bike great and the battery life is good.
    I have had no near misses with cars, trucks or anything since using it - seem to get more respect and everybody gives you plenty of room.

Pete.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Koncordski wrote:
    The cable runs quite neatly with the included straps.

Pretty sure I was behind Koncordski this morning along Embankment and up to Parliament Square - certainly looked like this bike! If so, it does look nice and neat.

That's his and iPete's set up I've seen now from the rear (ooo-er) and I've been impressed both times at the visibility the District offers.

Having been considering the Exposure Flash/Flare Rechargeable set (none in stock in Evans anymore, by they way!) I'm now coming round to the idea of simply investing big this year and having lights that should last a very long time - Hope's customer service is pretty good, right?
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Every day now. It's worth having them on even if it's a bit grey.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    Hope customer service is apparently excellent but I've never had to use it, solid products!
  • Early start today (on the road at 6:10) so full dark when setting off and watching the dawn rise... most excellent.

I've decided to buy the District 3 when I'm paid for 2 reasons:

I really like the convenience of the single battery charge
    My mate has a bloody awful light on his bike, so he's going to get my LD610 for his stem

In other news: feck it's cold in the morning now :shock: (when the Sun's not up) I was actually cold for the first time since Spring when I got to work.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    Its going to be easy to spot BR members this winter! :lol:
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    We should get a commission payment when we recommend Merlin and the District! I must have been asked by 3-4 people where I got it and what make is it.

And hello Lastant, I was running an OK time this morning. Did you see me trying to haul in that nutter riding a bog standard MTB but doing an aero position? Always beat me away from the lights because he was running flat pedals.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Damn,

Had one of my magicshine MJ-818 3w rears die today - suddenly let water in - it's been fine for 12 months. Oh well £22 for another !

Oh and spot the cyclist who hasn't checked he has fresh batteries. Loads of them about. Lights on, but barely visible. Change your batteries !