Anyone regularly using lights yet?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I've been perusing the Hope District 3 setup as a new brighter rear light (specifically because it can share the same rechargeable battery pack my Vision 2 runs on) and because the Cateye LD610 (which is damn good btw) rubs on my leg whenever it is fitted - the clamp is the problem even when the light is mounted vertically.

This got me to thinking - it's dark when I get up now (6am) and I needed my lights on in the gloom at 7am when I left this morning (new batteries on both rear light - MUCH brighter!) Is anyone using their lights all the time in the morning now?

Oh, and anyone actually used the District 3 yet? I'd heard that there were some issues with the light not being horizontal but it looks like that's been sorted.

I know we don't like to think about this, but it's raining steadily outside and gloomy, so it looks like the lights will be needed on the way home as extra protection.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, I always have my Smart on flashing, and the last week or 2 I've had my T6 bike light on low for the rides in and out of work. Can't hurt to make myself more visible, especially when I'm going through dappled light under trees in the early morning/early evening gloom.

Like you say, weather's looking crappy, so they'll definitely be on for the ride home, maybe the Fibreflare on my back too.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Yep, not in the mornings, but evenings for a fortnight or so. Just sticking to the same as last winter as it's all lit suburban roads.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Yep, I'm on the road from 5.45 to 6.45..lights all way.

Thinking of buying another rear light this year...mmm, which one?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If on earlies then yes in the morning, 6am departure. If on lates then yes in the evening, 7pm departure
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Lights on this morning and sunglasses for the sunrise, which was soopah bright.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    nope not yet, seen a hybrid last night with super mega bright rear lights...only problem was the stupid motorbike like mudguard he had covering all of them, so you could see all the lights from the side but from the rear he was a ninja!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    just starting to need them on the last 10-20 mins of the ride now

still wearing shades though :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Not yet - thought about putting them on this morning - but it was 7:15 when i left and pretty bright and i am sure the hump made me visible enough - although i did see a roadie with a couple of flashing LED on the front - and i though i must get some of those.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Oui. Richmond park is a little dark otherwise.
  • Always use them no matter what the light conditions are.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    edited September 2011
    bails87 wrote:
    Yep, I always have my Smart on flashing
    [...]
    Can't hurt to make myself more visible, especially when I'm going through dappled light under trees in the early morning/early evening gloom.

Ditto; may not be in the thick of traffic in an urban situation, but on unrestricted country roads, early visibility is good. Awaiting t6 light to replace smart lux.
  • flappy8
    flappy8 Posts: 172
    Unless a very bright day - I've taken to having my Smart Luna flashing during the day or on solid at night. Hope vison 2 up front.

It makes a difference to overtaking cars even during the day.
    MTB or Road - They are both good!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Been using the District day and night (slow flash) since July, make for a great day time light with excellent road illumination at night. Certainly get more room these days.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Not in the mornings but I've been using them in the evenings for well over a month now; leave work at 2030 in the week. Been using the P7 as well for the last week or so :twisted: - Unsurprisingly, I've never had a SMIDSY at night when I've been using the P7 but I've had plenty in broad daylight....
    FCN 2 to 8
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    question

do you have your rear lights flashing or fixed?

front i guess it depends on where you are an if you need to see ahead of you?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Using them for the last week, mornings and evenings. Identical setup to you in that I already had the hope vision 2 front light and battery. I saw iPete a couple of weeks ago running the district 3, asked him what it was and bought it the next day. Simply amazing light, angle it slightly down off horizontal so as not to blind fellow cyclists. Cars giving me much more room now especially on priory lane. Already had two cyclists ask me where I can get it. Runs forever off the standard battery pack (slung under the saddle).

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • bails87
    I have my rear flashing during day/dusk. When it's properly dark I put it on solid and have a second on flashing.
    MTB/CX

• NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    on my morning cycle from I tend to always have my lights on regardless of time of the year, if it's a bit brighter I just put the flashing light on as a to be seen rather then a seeing light. It does make something of a difference.

Tonight with the gloom over Exeter the lights will be going on when I leave at 5.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Glad its working for you Koncordski, should be able to spot you easier on Embankment now!

Also worth noting its not the dark that's always a danger, the low sun at the moment is really blinding and the only thing that's going to get you noticed is a bright light.
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    question

do you have your rear lights flashing or fixed?

front i guess it depends on where you are an if you need to see ahead of you?

Both

get two lights (safer) or a LD1100, one bank flash, one bank constant

My only concern with the Hope District / Vision set up is running the cables along the frame but frankly this is minor to knowing I'll be seen when I'm on the unlit stretches between the villages.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    I'd like a Hope District, but £126 from Merlin with VIP discount.....ouch!
    MTB/CX

• I'm with Kieran : 2 rear one flashing one constant and at present I've a Hope Vision 4 on flashing on the front though it's going to be on constant soon enough I fear .......
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    It was easier to justify at £85 but I already had the rest of the gear so could just get the light unit on it's own. It's big dosh but riding through London in the rush hour in the dark. Worth every penny!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • If you have the Vision 2 /4 you can share the battery and I've seen that option for £75

http://www.wickedcycles.co.uk/hope-visi ... -559-p.asp

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... ight_Kit_3
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • bails87
    If you have the Vision 2 /4 you can share the battery

I know, but I don't.

Maybe I should buy a Vision 4 so the Distric becomes better value..... :lol:
    MTB/CX

• They should do a Hope Light kit, including the Vision 2, District 3, battery pack and cables. (inc charger)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Dynohub powered lights. Can switch on and off whenever I feel like it, no connecting batteries, charging batteries or pressing buttons to switch off when stopping for a break.

The standlight means your lights run for a good 5-10 minutes when stationary, not like the lights of old.

A dedicated commuting bike has its benefits :)
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep, I'm on the road from 5.45 to 6.45..lights all way.

+1

:evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    gilesjuk wrote:
    Dynohub powered lights. Can switch on and off whenever I feel like it, no connecting batteries, charging batteries or pressing buttons to switch off when stopping for a break.

The standlight means your lights run for a good 5-10 minutes when stationary, not like the lights of old.

A dedicated commuting bike has its benefits :)

If the dynohub equipped Brompton I rode is anything to go by, I'll stick with batteries. Like riding with really bad Friday legs - horrible.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    itboffin wrote:
    Yep, I'm on the road from 5.45 to 6.45..lights all way.

+1

:evil:

Yup. Mind you it was persisting down on the way home.

You know what? I think summer has fled.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.