The furthest you've ridden your Mountainbike?

Comments

• Prophet2k
    Prophet2k Posts: 11
    edited September 2011
    I'll post because I've actually done something of note. 2 years ago myself and 3 friends from work did a charity cycle ride around the outside of Wales. Some amazing riding, incredible scenery and crazy long days. Early morning, Late nights, and as much as we could eat!! We finished with just over 610 miles in 6 days, the longest day being 111miles. Riding was all terrain, Mainly following sustrans cycle paths, both on and off road where we could however we had to make our own way on some parts as the network isn't quite complete where we were. Training rides were between 70-90miles of which we did a few before the event. I'll be honest and say I enjoyed it so much when we got to the end I REALLY wanted to go round again (And not just for some more time off work) We raised ~£1500 for our charity (Tesco charity of the year which was Muscular Dystrophy) anyway.

Anyone in North Wales - Sycnant Pass and most of Snowdonia are amazing places to ride - DOOOOOOO IIIITTTTTTTT
    And we did the Pryscilli Mountains from Cardigan to Haverford West - That was a nice day, and a cracking climb, and then 30mins of descent.. lovely.

We also did another ride the next year which was 95miles from Avonmouth - Exeter. Mostly on road, and not particularly taxing (although the hills getting out of Bristol were a suprise - I thought it was totally flat lol). Another charity event making just over £1k.

They did Lejog this year - mega gutted because I couldn't do it with them. Maybe next year eh :D

Forgot to say - Bikes were a Focus Black Forest on the standard wired race kings, the other guys had a Speccy Stumpjumper Carbon on slicks, boardman pro on race king esque tyres, and a GT Aggression with slicks!
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    69 miles last week and was not too bad so hopefully the 75 miles down to Brighton in acouple of weeks wont be too bad. Just go 3 hills to get over.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Strong work on CYB Njee! I think i'd have ridden around teh carpark a little bit to get the 100 mile mark :lol:

Longest I've done is solo at Mountain Mayhem. Think that came to around 180 miles.
  • about 80 miles mixed on and off road in southern California on a hired hardtail.

Off road was round the Laguna Beach nature reserve which is very hilly. Average speed increased dramatically when a ranger told me it was rattlesnake mating season, and I was 13 miles from the nearest asphalt... Put a whole new complexion on the circling buzzards.

Since then I've done lots of 60 milers round the NY moors, on a rigid 29er, and a couple of 50s since I got an FS.
  • 70 miles audax off road would have been half the time on a road
  • anjs wrote:
    69 miles last week and was not too bad so hopefully the 75 miles down to Brighton in acouple of weeks wont be too bad. Just go 3 hills to get over.

Good work anjs. You must be pretty much ready for it then. Most I've done in prep for the ride is 48 miles. 25 of them were over the SDW so I'll hoping the amount of hills makes up for the lack of mileage!
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • 34 miles from Merthyr to Cardiff on the Taff Trail.

Killed my front HR :cry:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • A good friend of mine did the Tour Divide race back in June. 2700 miles in 26 days. 200,000 feet of climbing. 11,000 ft max altidtude.

This is an unsupported event so had to carry all his gear, but could buy food and lodgings where they were available.

Respect was earned by all.

Trek Stache 8 29er
    Orange Five Pro 2011
    Rock Lobster Team Ti (Custom) 2010
    Whyte Stirling - Hybrid
    Southdowns MTB Club http://www.southdownsmtb.co.uk/
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Indeed, a crazy event the Tour Divide, big respect to anyone who does those ultra-endurance things. The Iditabike even more so. I get bored after about 4 hours usually!
    Strong work on CYB Njee! I think i'd have ridden around teh carpark a little bit to get the 100 mile mark

It was very tempting, but it was rather dark, and I was knackered haha!
  • I rode Honsea to Blackpool following TPT back in May arriving in Blaclpool for 3pm on 3rd day.

a quick ride tends to be about 30 miles xc these days or shorter if its on technical hilly terrain

To answer the original question, yes it would be easier on a road bike to cover the miles but thats not what its all about,
  • My longest was about 60 miles. First 25 or so were uphill, the rest were more downhill :D so it was easier than it sounds :lol:
    Life's too short to be boring.

09 Kona Dawgma
    08 Orange 224
  • 47 miles cycling from Glasgow to Edinburgh for pedal for scotland on sunday.

David
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    A few of the Merida 100km routes, but I don't think any of them were much like 100km- probably about 80km tops
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    50 miles in the Bucks off road sportive in May, Chiltern hills.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    About 35 miles 'locally', it was as boring as spending a week in a small beige cube.

If I go on the MTB locally I go for a 10-15 mile blast, which is still boring, so I tend to get my miles in during the week by commuting (on the road bike) and then travel for interesting riding.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    ive done 60 odd miles on my (now sold) Kona Stinky
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Probably about 20, tops.

Short, interesting stuff with hills and lumps and drops and whatnot happens on a MTB.

Large distances = road bike, for me.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Just over 80 miles for me, granted, on the Downs link, so mostly firetracks etc, but that was enough to do me! Cod & chips on Brighton beach made it worth it though!

Did the london to brighton a few years back on my singlespeed Kona scab jumper.. 56 miles of pain :(

These days, I drive to the Surrey Hills, do about 10-15 miles, get fed up of the slapping sound between my legs and belly, give up, drive home, and eat doughnuts like the fatty I've become :cry:

New bike time next week though, so hopefully increased motivation!
  • 40 miles max is most i've done. A 35 mile Chilterns loop with a couple of miles to the start and a couple of miles back home.
    Much prefer a 10-20 mile blast around Surrey Hills, Swinley or Afan with plenty of stopping chatting and snacking.
    Stav wrote:
    These days, I drive to the Surrey Hills, do about 10-15 miles, get fed up of the slapping sound between my legs and belly, give up, drive home, and eat doughnuts like the fatty I've become

lols etc.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • Often ride 20 to work - the scenic route, singletrack, bridleways and roads.
    Most I've ridden is 62 miles, Dewsbury to Tatton Park, Cheshire recently. Mostly along Towpaths. Felt good afterwards.

Plan to ride the Liverpool - Leeds Canal in one in the next couple of weeks. That's 129 miles I think, maybe 127. Expect to hurt bad after that...
    --
    DoctorDee
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    In one day it was probably Whistler to North Van. Off road to Squamish along the old Cheakamus Challenge route (in reverse) then road to North Van. I've no idea how far that is though but by road to North Van it's 120km. It's probably about 135km as the Cheak Challenge route is about 75km then it's 60 from Squampton. Good times, good memories. That was years ago.

Longest ride recently is 75km in Afan.
    Many happy trails!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    timpop wrote:
    Squamish...Cheakamus....Squampton.

Now you're just making stuff up! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • 100k on the Isle of wight, a mix of singletrack, fire road and tarmac, defo felt it towards the end, also did about 35 miles in the lakes, the high street route, that was fun.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    bails87 wrote:
    timpop wrote:
    Squamish...Cheakamus....Squampton.

Now you're just making stuff up! :lol:
    Ha, ha. Squampton, it's called that name occasionally as it's a bit red neck there. Kinda the 'Compton' of the north but not really.
    Many happy trails!
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    For me its the climb, the conditions and the distance. This years BHF southdown way 100 was bloody hard due to the mud and how it slows you down and completely destroys your bike.

Its a completely different ride in the dry.

I regularly do a leith hill/holmbury hill double loop which is about 50 miles round trip back to home. Takes about 5 hours.

The thing about doing big distance in a day - is the need to go at a pace so as not to run out of daylight.

I've down 85 miles of the SDW at night, which was way harder than the 100, because we were going East to west, then back again and its cold and dark. Took 9 hours.
  • AMcK
    AMcK Posts: 79
    diy wrote:
    For me its the climb, the conditions and the distance. This years BHF southdown way 100 was bloody hard due to the mud and how it slows you down and completely destroys your bike.

Its a completely different ride in the dry.

+1 - not done it at night though.
    2011 Black Canyon Nerve XC9.0
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I done the c2c in one day a few years ago. Set out at about 6am and finished at about 10pm. Was a long hard day but enjoyed it. Would like to try again on my cx bike as the route was on and off road but I don't get much time for epic rides these days as I've got 2 kids (2yo and 5mo) to look after.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • I did a 2 day, 215 mile trip round Co Antrim on my MTB last year - my mates were doing it on road bikes. Seeing how much easier it was for them persuaded me to mode to the road bike!
    MTB was obviously slower (gearing/smaller wheels/higher friction) but the biggest problem that I had was not being able to alternate my grip - ended up with ulnar nerve compression and couldn't feel my fingers properly for a couple of months!
    Still was a great trip and if you don't have a road bike, I'd highly recommend it - just get a decent pair of gloves and some bar ends.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    the biggest problem that I had was not being able to alternate my grip - ended up with ulnar nerve compression and couldn't feel my fingers properly for a couple of months!

You have problems with the fit of your MTB then, that's not right!
  • I'm shite, 24miles - 1500m total climb - 3.5hours of super gnarly Scottish singletrack!