The furthest you've ridden your Mountainbike?

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Im interested to hear how far you have ridden on your mountainbikes, and really how much easier would it of been riding a road bike in that distance.

Myself:
Ive only gone back riding recently after 4 years off, and I do around 40miles a few times a week increasing my distance weekly.

Comments

• 30 miles is my longest actual ride, but i did the portes du soleil route which is 80km i believe, however about 30% of this is lifts, so that was about 35 miles of riding. I'm not counting that though because it wasnt all at once and had long breaks on the lifts to break it up. My hardest ever route was climbing up helvellyn and riding back down again - that was steep.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Did 85 miles on one a couple of months ago whilst waiting for my road bike.

Had a sore knee for a week afterwards.
    Peter
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    About 40 miles I think, but it all depends of what terrain you are talking about.

40 miles on road and easy fire tracks is nothing.

40 miles on steep / rocky / difficult single track would be a lot.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I rode the Transpennine trail in 3 days. Its a 215 mile route on mostly good trails and some roads, the longest day was 95 miles and my legs nearly fell off. I rode a hardtail with semi slick front and a slick rear tyres but riding a hybrid bike with road tyres would have been a better idea reckon I could have knocked a couple of hours off the total riding time over the 3 days and not been so knackered.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs wrote:
    I rode the Transpennine trail in 3 days. Its a 215 mile route on mostly good trails and some roads, the longest day was 95 miles and my legs nearly fell off. I rode a hardtail with semi slick front and a slick rear tyres but riding a hybrid bike with road tyres would have been a better idea reckon I could have knocked a couple of hours off the total riding time over the 3 days and not been so knackered.

Was that recent?
  • I hit my longest MTB ride a few weeks ago, just under 70km with about 2,000 metres of climbing. Left me for dead. I regularly ride my road bike on 4 hour trips for about 120-130km. No where near as dead even after double the distance on the road bike.
  • I tend to go for elevation rather than distance.

I'm pretty sure the IOM End2End is about the furthest I ride. It's almost the exact same distance and elevation MountainMonster said above.

About 67km (42miles) and just under 2000m elevation. Usually aim for around 5hrs personally, that's on the Edison. Top riders will do it in just under 3hrs though :shock:

Training rides are usually 25-35mi, with 1500-2000m elevation.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I've done the Kielder 100 twice. In the dry It took 11h15m and this year 12h30m dues to a heap of mechanicals.

Done a few sportives of the same distance. Northern Rock cyclone (105miles) in 5h42 and the Cyclops Selkirk sprotive (95m) in just under 5h.

None of those rides were easy at the pace, but as you can guess from the times covering road distance is about twice as fast. On these type of rides I aim for 10mph average off road and 20mph on road. Sometimes optimistic especially on longe rides.
  • I have done about 60miles as a longest ride

I have been riding since may and am not the fastest rider, so far i have done....

533 miles

ascent: 41259

descent: 32927

average speed: *cough 7.74 mph
  • stubs
    toastedone wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Was that recent?

Did it 2 years ago. Did east to west the first day starting from Hornsea is nice and flat just a matter of spinning the cranks and looking at the scenery go by. Middle section through the Pennines is very nice with some steady climbing but nothing too severe. Last section to Southport I know like the back of my hand so was just a matter of head down and spin as fast as I could to get home for tea.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    It looks like my longest off-road ride was 47 miles along the Southdowns Way - a recce for a future ttrip all the way to Eastbourne (which will be 72 miles).

A couple of weeks back I did a 44 mile XC loop from Kingley Vale to Whiteways and back, via a couple of additional climbs of the South Downs escarpment (not my idea, that!). This nearly killed me.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • I've done a local 100mile mainly (90%) off road loop several time over the last couple of years, but here on the Mersey/Lancs border it's very flat. :(
    It took until around mile 60 before I hit the only hills in the area and only then did I have to get out of the big ring
  • stubs wrote:
    toastedone wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Was that recent?

Did it 2 years ago. Did east to west the first day starting from Hornsea is nice and flat just a matter of spinning the cranks and looking at the scenery go by. Middle section through the Pennines is very nice with some steady climbing but nothing too severe. Last section to Southport I know like the back of my hand so was just a matter of head down and spin as fast as I could to get home for tea.

Ahh Ok Just i met some people recently doing the same thing, they where going through Reddish and look lost so i showed them the way.
  • stubs
    toastedone wrote:

Ahh Ok Just i met some people recently doing the same thing, they where going through Reddish and look lost so i showed them the way.

I never get lost I just sometimes forget where I am :lol:
  • Tony my friend from work has just finished a charity ride. He is 50 years old and road 100 miles a day for ten days on the trot. His knee swelled up after 6 days so he slept each night with it raised covered in a ice pack. Still completed it. :shock:
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • I did the BHF South Downs Way ride this year, 100 miles in a day (13.5 hrs), about 3500m of vertical climb. It was hard (took 2 attempts; the first was defeated at 90 by mud/fog).

As training for that I did the same 70 mile road ride on both my road bike and full-sus mtb, with knobbly tyres. It took me just over 5 hours on my road bike, and an hour longer on the mtb. I was probably a fair bit fitter when I did it on the road bike, but the bike did make a big difference.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    On road (but on mtb) - 127km training ride (in Holland, so height gain was negligable)- would have been way easier on the roadie!

Off road - 53km Half marathon in Germany
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Just over 64 miles is the most I've done in a day. To and from Cannock plus a full day riding there.

About 4 miles on road, 2-3 miles or so on paved cycle path
    Somewhere around 27-28 miles on canal towpath (which on the return journey after a days riding is bloody bumpy and hard work)
    Just under 30 miles of Cannock.

Wasn't much climbing involved in that really, 70km of the Dyfi Enduro was the hardest days riding I've done. Killer climbs and brutal rocky descents on an XC hardtail, never have I wanted full suss more :lol:
  • ploeb
    ploeb Posts: 19
    I have one route I can directly compare, from Swindon to near Newport, about 60miles, all on road, fairly flat.
    Took 4hrs 15mins on full suss mtb with knobblies, same route took 3 hours 23mins on a road bike. Both with no stops, except for a few red lights...
  • 100 miles (well 103) on Kielder 100 as above.
    Training wise a few 60/70 milers. Fancy having a crack at Sustrans CtoC next year in a day, very manageable I think. Also gonna have a go at a 24 hour solo, not decided which yet, so would hope to knock out a few miles on that.
    Distance is a state of mind ( plus a good bit of training ).
  • I average 20 miles a day, month in month out
  • Duki
    Duki Posts: 53
    Longest MTB ride a charity event in the Peak District 55miles about eight years ago.

Longest road bike ride the Manchester 100. I have taken part in this event for the past 5 years. Did it in 6hrs 28mins this year. I reckon I could of knocked off about an hour but I had to keep waiting for my mate who was doing it for the first time.

My ride to work is a paltry 2miles but some times I will increase it on the way home if work hasn't been too bad.
  • jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    250 miles hull to Edinburgh over 2 1/4 days
    1/2 a day was spent trying to find a bike shop to fix my friends HT. He warped diskes deformed pads and melted some of the caliper on cable pull disk brakes. This being down sutton bank 25% with his share of 3 days free camping provisions and all supplys for the trip adding up to 50kg each haha had a due saddle sores after that one. was fun doing 52mph down that n realising there's a steep corner at the bottom haha.

Planning on beating this this week got my new HT and in the car now on the way to mullion (cornwall) been in car 6 hrs and still 3 hrs to go :(. A week of biking there should push this p.b. a lot further haha XD
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • I have ridden a few 50-60 mile runs in the past - currently 20-30 on hilly rides is about my limit.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • tenfoot
    tenfoot Posts: 226
    I recently completed a charity ride around Kent - 165 miles in 3 days. The longest day was the second at 65 miles.

The ride and all my training was done on my 18 year rigid Marin Bear Valley running Scwalbe Marathon commuting slick tyres. My longest training ride was 45 miles in just under 2hrs 25 minutes which I was well pleased with.

No doubt that kind of mileage would be easier on a road bike, but any money I'm spending on a new bike, will be a new full sus to replace my ageing Scott & Spesh,
  • Longest road bike ride = 62 miles (100k sportive) in 3:45.

Longest mountain bike ride is 53 miles in 5:45, which included about 20 miles on road.

On the road, if I average 16mph on a route on the road bike, I'll average 13mph on the same route on the mountain bike.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    68 miles on Saturday is my longest MTB ride.
    Average was 10.0 according to the Garmin info.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Longest off road was 116 miles in a 12 solo at 24/12, or 98 miles around Coed y Brenin just off my own back, the latter taking 11 hours, both 100% off road. The latter was more tiring primarily due to the upper body fatigue. Finished the 12 solo feeling like I could've got a lot harder.

Did 105 on the road on Saturday in 6 hours, and felt fine. 100 miles on the road is as tiring as 60 off road IMO, but it depends a lot on the terrain.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think the furthest I've done was only 46km, but that was up a proper mountain and back down, 1400 metres of road climb by fat-tyred full suss, on a road that was rebuilt specifically to add a more challenging climb for le tour :lol: And then they sneaked in a second climb later in the day when we weren't looking. So that was a bit tiring, but still no epic.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    My CyB 'epic' had 16000ft of climbing (it was 2 laps of each of the old trails: Karrimor, MBR, Red Bull), I seem to recall 24/12 was 12000ft.