Russ Downing

lemon63
lemon63 Posts: 253
edited May 2012 in Pro race
Anyone know where he's riding at the mo, he's not in Sky's squad for either the Vuelta, Quebec or the ToB.
Injured perhaps ?
I thought he would have been riding the ToB this year.

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Think he has been given time to be looking for a new team :(
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    No, and I've been keeping an eye on whether or not Sky keep him on (and I do hope they do).
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    No, and I've been keeping an eye on whether or not Sky keep him on (and I do hope they do).

I can't see it myself, I'm afraid. Hopefully he can get a decent ride somewhere else. The likes of Lotto or Vacansoleil he could do a decent job for.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've heard from multiple people he won't be at Sky next year
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Did he not win 4 races with Sky last year and wiggins won Nothing ?

A bit unfair to be cast aside by Sky - Lokvist has won hee haw this year.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

No, Wiggins won a GT stage last season.

Some people have short memories.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

He did. But then, in 2011 Mahdi Sohrabi has won almost three times as many races as Cadel Evans.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • It would be nice to see him get a ride with a protour team. Great gutsy rider.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I am sure he appreciates the situation. He's had a couple of years at this level, got to ride a GT. He's not one for the future so when the pack gets re-shuffled you can see why they will let him go.
  • Road Ace wrote:
    It would be nice to see him get a ride with a protour team. Great gutsy rider.

+ 1
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    andyp wrote:
    Gazzetta67 wrote:

No, Wiggins won a GT stage last season.

Some people have short memories.

Still, Russ was one of the few Sky riders to perform at or beyond expectation last year.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I'd have thought Russ would be happy with his time at Sky.

Great first year with some exceptional wins. This year he got to ride the GT he always wanted to do.

Disappointed Sky couldn't find a spot for him on the ToB squad.

If he does move on I'm sure he'll get another ProTour team contract.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Russ Downing deserved a grand tour start in his first year with the team and to let go of him after his quite impressive Giro debut seems a little unfair too. I hope sky keep him on. They haven't done the best by him if they don't
  • iainf72
    If you have a look at CQRanking, of the "Brits" on Sky, Downing and Hunt are the lowest ranked by a fair way.

If he'd managed to perform this year like he did last year, I think someone who've picked him u p for his points. But on this years performance, I'd say a top level team is unlikely.
  • Dave_1 wrote:
    Russ Downing deserved a grand tour start in his first year with the team and to let go of him after his quite impressive Giro debut seems a little unfair too. I hope sky keep him on. They haven't done the best by him if they don't

+1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    I'm surprised so many people think he'll get snapped up elsewhere. I like Russ but at Protour level I'm afraid he's just an average domestique and with the number of teams folding I think there are better options looking for employment.
  • Pross wrote:
    I'm surprised so many people think he'll get snapped up elsewhere. I like Russ but at Protour level I'm afraid he's just an average domestique and with the number of teams folding I think there are better options looking for employment.

I think thats under estimating Russell´s ability. He has proven that he is more than an average domestique.
  • Pross wrote:

I think thats under estimating Russell´s ability. He has proven that he is more than an average domestique.
  • dave_1
    Gavin Cook wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I recall Russell Downing managed a top 10 on one stage in a break away and survived a very serious crash to finish the Giro, so sky should have looked at that. Sky says it is about developing Britiish cyclists but that's a lie.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Russ is 33; I'm not sure he has that much developing left to do. At this point he is what he is: a solid domestique who can be thereabouts in decent field sprints, but will struggle to get results at the top end.

I'd like them to re-sign him, because I love watching him ride, but ultimately I see his signing for a good pro-conti team where he'll race as leader in races that suit him.
  • Pross
    Turfle wrote:
    Russ is 33; I'm not sure he has that much developing left to do. At this point he is what he is: a solid domestique who can be thereabouts in decent field sprints, but will struggle to get results at the top end.

I'd like them to re-sign him, because I love watching him ride, but ultimately I see his signing for a good pro-conti team where he'll race as leader in races that suit him.

+1

If he was 25 he'd be worth giving another couple of years. OK he got in a break in the Giro but then domestiques get in that sort of break all the time in GTs. If he were a Belgian no-one would be overly impressed with his palmares. I don't want to sound harsh as he is the sort of rider teams need but some people talk like he's the great white hope.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    He would do a great job at one of the British teams that is trying to compete more on the international stage, like Endura.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Sky says it is about developing Britiish cyclists but that's a lie.

Geraint Thomas, Ben Swift Alex Dowsett, Peter Kennaugh, Ian Stannard and even Chris Froome think you're talking rubbish.
  • I appreciate that Sky, for whatever reason, are not everyone's cup of tea, but to say the idea of them promoting GB talent is a 'lie' is, well, a lie.
    To the list of names above this post, you can add Luke Rowe in 2012 and, no doubt, Sam Harrison, Owen Doull, Simon Yates and rest over the next few years.
    I love Russ Downing, but with the best will in the world it makes no sense to throw money at a 33 year old who is already operating at his maximum when you can develop long term prospects for, probably, less money.
    It is Russ' misfortune that Sky were not around when he was 21.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    As other have said-Downing has done about as much as he's ever going to do hasn't he? He has the capability of getting around the top 10 in bunch sprints in good fields and thats about it really. He has had a good 2 years at Sky-especially last year, but at 33 and with so little experience at the top level, I reckon he'll be back riding for a domestic team next year-probably Endura.
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Geraint Thomas, Ben Swift Alex Dowsett, Peter Kennaugh, Ian Stannard and even Chris Froome think you're talking rubbish.

rubbish talk comes from poorly informed people like you.
  • Sky is about lots of things, developing british talent is on the list, just not very high up. Your face has to fit and there are countless political decisions to be negotiated for the riders, staff and hangers on. Just like a normal company in other words.
  • iainf72
    Sky is about lots of things, developing british talent is on the list, just not very high up. Your face has to fit and there are countless political decisions to be negotiated for the riders, staff and hangers on. Just like a normal company in other words.

Yep, and my understanding is Russ's face didn't fit. He got into the squad after his Tour of Ireland win and it would've looked ridiculous if they didn't hire him, he won something last year so it would be hard to get rid of him.

He's a good rider. But he did ride for domestic teams for the best part of a decade.
  • Pross
    Dave_1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

rubbish talk comes from poorly informed people like you.

So are you saying Sky aren't developing all the above and more? Russ is too old to develop, by his age you need to be the finished article. Still could ride a few more years at pro conti level though.